Discussions By Condition: Ears, Nose, Mouth & Throat conditions

sore throat for 8 days

• Posted By: kataklysmic
  • April 1, 2007
  • 09:21 PM

my throat has been hurting for the last 8 days, but my only other symptom is a slightly runny nose and a bit of a cough. no fever though, and i'm not even feeling all that sick. my throat doesn't hurt at night or when i'm eating, only when i swallow. the bulk of the pain is in the area under my chin and above my voice box. my glands are also a bit swollen although i'm no expert when it comes to checking glands. i guess my biggest concern is that it's lasted so long, and has shown no signs of improvment. any ideas as to what this may be?

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• Have you tried anything for it? It could be as simple as allergies. Also, sometimes infections can be present without fever. Try an antihistamine OTC like chlortrimeton or claritin. These are both non-sedating antihistamines that will help with any drainage/runny nose you might have which might be causing your sore throat. If in 3 days, there is no improvement or symptoms actually get worse, I would see your doctor because there might be an infection.Jonathan
    Rebatjst2 5 Replies Flag this Response
  • my throat has been hurting for the last 8 days, but my only other symptom is a slightly runny nose and a bit of a cough. no fever though, and i'm not even feeling all that sick. my throat doesn't hurt at night or when i'm eating, only when i swallow. the bulk of the pain is in the area under my chin and above my voice box. my glands are also a bit swollen although i'm no expert when it comes to checking glands. i guess my biggest concern is that it's lasted so long, and has shown no signs of improvment. any ideas as to what this may be? Just curious, have you had any painful areas in the throat or lumps in the roof of the mouth...alot of us have had the same symptoms as well but we seem to feel worse than you do. This sounds like the first stage of what I had. It may actually last longer and I would suggest you see a doctor so that they can take a throat culture and put you on antibiotics if necessary.:o
    New Jersey 4 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement