Discussions By Condition: Allergies

Sinus drainage/thick mucus

Posted In: Allergies 87 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • August 15, 2006
  • 03:28 AM

For years I have had sinus infection problems with lots of gooey green mucus drainage. I have had two sinus surgeries and I haven't had a bad sinus infection since the last surgery about 4 years ago.

I still have alot of drainage from my sinuses draining into my throat, mostley clear to milkey and very sticky I am always clearing my throat and making weird noises trying to get the mucus up. It isn't so bad during the day, maybe because I'm upright and the mucus can drain? It is very annoying to me and others. I feel embarassed but until I can clear the mucus I can't seem to stop clearing my throat. It is really bad at night. I usually go to sleep ok but I wake up around 2:30 AM almost every night and feel the mucus hanging from my sinuses into my throat. I try to ignore it but it is too annoying. It usually takes 1-1.5 hours to clear so I can try and go back to sleep. By then I am very nervous and having anxiety problems and pinched nerves in my back from caughing. The problem is so bad and has been on going for lots of years that it seems to be controling my life. If I'm not clearing my throat, I'm wondering when I will have to and it's getting to the point I don't want to go to bed because I know I will wake up in a couple of hours and be back at it.

My ENT tells me there isn't anything he can do. He tells me to take a mucus thinner but they don't seem to work very well. Sometimes they even make the problem worse. The stickey mucus is deep in my throat and doesn't caugh up very easy.

I have been seeing a Chiroprator that specializes in applied kinesology for 3 years or so. He has treated me for yeast infection/candida, imune system disorders and digestive track problems. He seems positive that we are making progress. I am better than I was several years ago because of no sinus infections, however I am very uncomfortable and tired of this problem. I don't know where to go from here. I have also been through several alergy tests for polins, metals, food etc.

Looking for help!

Reply Flag this Discussion

87 Replies:

• Ray, I have a similar history as yours but spread out over a much longer time. I had the same gooey green problem you did for most of my life. About 12 years ago I had the same surgery you did. The surgeon had me on the out-patient operating tabe 3 1/2 hours and said it was the worst sinus case he had ever operated on with 13 1/2 out of 14 of my major sinus cavities plugged. (I hadn't been able to breathe through my nose for two years). Anyway, the surgery gave me a new life and I had been relatively problem free up until recently. About five months ago, I began to experience a very similar problem to what you are presently experiencing. I began to cough, mostly at night and had to spit up a clear, but slightly lumpy and sticky sinus drainage. It has progressively gotten worse as time has gone on. As you , I find it extremely uncomfortable and wake up 1 to 3 times a night in severe coughing spells that are only alleviated when I spit up enough of the drainage. Also I spend a lot of time during the daytime running to the bathroom to clear my throat mutiple times and or cough up the drainage, trying not to scare or annoy people I work with. The last couple of months, I started eliminating all the things I thought it could be (cat, environment, mold, bedding, etc.), and have come to the conclusion it is food related. I am just starting to see a GP who has given me a couple of antibiotics as a precaution. He tends to believe it is an allergy and will refer me to an allergist. (I presently just caught a massive cold which really made me miserable and stopped attempts at diagnosis, but as soon as it is over, I will pursue the allergist trail). I have been very methodical in my elimination of things that I think it can be. I was out of town two weeks and the symptoms stayed about the same. I think I have proved it is not just one food as I have eliminated suspected foods and the problem persists. Tomorrow I am going to try eating only brown rice and water for a week or two and see if the problem subsides. If nothing else, it wouldn't hurt to lose a few pounds in the process. :) It's good to commiserate with someone wo has the same problem and history. I will keep you posted as to what I determine with my food elimintion project. if you find out what is causing your problem or you have any new information, email me back. Good luck! George At that point i began to For years I have had sinus infection problems with lots of gooey green mucus drainage. I have had two sinus surgeries and I haven't had a bad sinus infection since the last surgery about 4 years ago. I still have alot of drainage from my sinuses draining into my throat, mostley clear to milkey and very sticky I am always clearing my throat and making weird noises trying to get the mucus up. It isn't so bad during the day, maybe because I'm upright and the mucus can drain? It is very annoying to me and others. I feel embarassed but until I can clear the mucus I can't seem to stop clearing my throat. It is really bad at night. I usually go to sleep ok but I wake up around 2:30 AM almost every night and feel the mucus hanging from my sinuses into my throat. I try to ignore it but it is too annoying. It usually takes 1-1.5 hours to clear so I can try and go back to sleep. By then I am very nervous and having anxiety problems and pinched nerves in my back from caughing. The problem is so bad and has been on going for lots of years that it seems to be controling my life. If I'm not clearing my throat, I'm wondering when I will have to and it's getting to the point I don't want to go to bed because I know I will wake up in a couple of hours and be back at it. My ENT tells me there isn't anything he can do. He tells me to take a mucus thinner but they don't seem to work very well. Sometimes they even make the problem worse. The stickey mucus is deep in my throat and doesn't caugh up very easy. I have been seeing a Chiroprator that specializes in applied kinesology for 3 years or so. He has treated me for yeast infection/candida, imune system disorders and digestive track problems. He seems positive that we are making progress. I am better than I was several years ago because of no sinus infections, however I am very uncomfortable and tired of this problem. I don't know where to go from here. I have also been through several alergy tests for polins, metals, food etc. Looking for help!
    George Crowe 2 Replies
    • November 15, 2006
    • 10:51 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Ray, I have a similar history as yours but spread out over a much longer time. I had the same gooey green problem you did for most of my life. About 12 years ago I had the same surgery you did. The surgeon had me on the out-patient operating tabe 3 1/2 hours and said it was the worst sinus case he had ever operated on with 13 1/2 out of 14 of my major sinus cavities plugged. (I hadn't been able to breathe through my nose for two years). Anyway, the surgery gave me a new life and I had been relatively problem free up until recently. About five months ago, I began to experience a very similar problem to what you are presently experiencing. I began to cough, mostly at night and had to spit up a clear, but slightly lumpy and sticky sinus drainage. It has progressively gotten worse as time has gone on. As you , I find it extremely uncomfortable and wake up 1 to 3 times a night in severe coughing spells that are only alleviated when I spit up enough of the drainage. Also I spend a lot of time during the daytime running to the bathroom to clear my throat mutiple times and or cough up the drainage, trying not to scare or annoy people I work with. The last couple of months, I started eliminating all the things I thought it could be (cat, environment, mold, bedding, etc.), and have come to the conclusion it is food related. I am just starting to see a GP who has given me a couple of antibiotics as a precaution. He tends to believe it is an allergy and will refer me to an allergist. (I presently just caught a massive cold which really made me miserable and stopped attempts at diagnosis, but as soon as it is over, I will pursue the allergist trail). I have been very methodical in my elimination of things that I think it can be. I was out of town two weeks and the symptoms stayed about the same. I think I have proved it is not just one food as I have eliminated suspected foods and the problem persists. Tomorrow I am going to try eating only brown rice and water for a week or two and see if the problem subsides. If nothing else, it wouldn't hurt to lose a few pounds in the process. :) It's good to commiserate with someone wo has the same problem and history. I will keep you posted as to what I determine with my food elimintion project. if you find out what is causing your problem or you have any new information, email me back. Good luck! George At that point i began to For years I have had sinus infection problems with lots of gooey green mucus drainage. I have had two sinus surgeries and I haven't had a bad sinus infection since the last surgery about 4 years ago. I still have alot of drainage from my sinuses draining into my throat, mostley clear to milkey and very sticky I am always clearing my throat and making weird noises trying to get the mucus up. It isn't so bad during the day, maybe because I'm upright and the mucus can drain? It is very annoying to me and others. I feel embarassed but until I can clear the mucus I can't seem to stop clearing my throat. It is really bad at night. I usually go to sleep ok but I wake up around 2:30 AM almost every night and feel the mucus hanging from my sinuses into my throat. I try to ignore it but it is too annoying. It usually takes 1-1.5 hours to clear so I can try and go back to sleep. By then I am very nervous and having anxiety problems and pinched nerves in my back from caughing. The problem is so bad and has been on going for lots of years that it seems to be controling my life. If I'm not clearing my throat, I'm wondering when I will have to and it's getting to the point I don't want to go to bed because I know I will wake up in a couple of hours and be back at it. My ENT tells me there isn't anything he can do. He tells me to take a mucus thinner but they don't seem to work very well. Sometimes they even make the problem worse. The stickey mucus is deep in my throat and doesn't caugh up very easy. I have been seeing a Chiroprator that specializes in applied kinesology for 3 years or so. He has treated me for yeast infection/candida, imune system disorders and digestive track problems. He seems positive that we are making progress. I am better than I was several years ago because of no sinus infections, however I am very uncomfortable and tired of this problem. I don't know where to go from here. I have also been through several alergy tests for polins, metals, food etc. Looking for help!
    George Crowe 2 Replies
    • November 15, 2006
    • 10:52 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My doctors GP and Alergist say it is all allergies..I got sick with sinus headache and cough and infection every 6 weeks. They have me on Singular at night and Clarinex first thing in morning and a nose spray like Cortinex. They will have you try all kinds of things. So far it seems to be working. I haven't been sick for 2 months which is good for me. I am also washing my sheets, blankets in hot water once a week or sooner. I vacume daily. Dustmites were my biggest allergy. Air Filter will be next as well as the special bedding which controlls your contact with dustmites. But these all cost money. I suffered terribly. So good luck.
    Mauime 3 Replies
    • November 15, 2006
    • 08:37 PM
    Flag this Response
  • For night time relief you might try a nettie pot with saline solution. It looks like a teapot and you put saline solution mixed with water and pour it into you nose. It is kinda gross but you get used to it. It loosens up the mucus so you can cough it up and your good for the night. You can get the nettle pot (not sure if that is what they call in at Walgreens) but if you describe it to the pharmacist they'll proabably know what it is. If you can't find it just sniff salt water up your nose, but the nettie pot works much better.Hope this helps.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 5, 2006
    • 05:13 AM
    Flag this Response
  • A turkey baster works as well or better than a netti pot. Just an FYI.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 22, 2006
    • 06:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • try postural drainage.it should have been done first.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 28, 2006
    • 07:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had similar problems as you all described here. Most doctors treat it as allergy if there isn't infection or other structural disorders. However the treatment doesn't work. I believe two things: GERD and moisturising your nostrils. Once your GERD is treated, you need to keep your nostrils moisturized. During the day time, you can use saline mix to spray your nostrils until you feel saline mix flows down through your throat so that your entire breath path is thinnered by the mix. During night time, you should run an electric vaporizer in your bedroom so the steam from the vaporizer maintain humidity in your bedroom. The concept of this is to maintain certain degree of moisture in your nostril all the time so that bacterias can't grow. Keep it in mind that bacterias grow in dry nostrils and thus worsens your condition and eventually causes thick mucus. Be persistent and you will see the results. I have tried this simple way which worked for me. Tell me if it works for you....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 6, 2007
    • 03:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • what a relief to see a succession of rational contributions.i agree with you all really with differing emphases,obviously.in my own case(sixty years of suffering!)the problem has been,(i think)swelling provoked by a mould--americans write "mold"--a little town in north wales here!----caused the sinuses to block. bacteria grew,and once burst forth in a spectacular display of colour ,and incredible mass,after an unintended dose of postural drainage---reading a newspaper spread out on the floor!that was the end of that particular edition!for several days i could breathe!bliss!it was to be many decades before i could do so again.what fixed me wasa doctor prepared to deploy several--four-- courses of antibiotics, (this is actually a very conventional ,very well established tactic), in conjunction with pseudoephidrene(sudafed,inengland.)result?i am 95%fixed!for over a year!(you need a lot of antibiotic because the sinuses are poorly vascularised,so not much gets through.)the sudafed opens up the nasal passages and sinus drains.wonderful for an over the counter medicine!oh ,yes,you need a high dose antibiotic.should have said.-----if chronic cough is involved,as it so unfortunately often is,be prepared to wait the four months it can take to let the lungs come out of their hypersensitive state.i think it makes sense to use a little cetirizene to keep allergic reactions at bay ,also.there now,thats all i know!best wishes to all,and thank you for not mentioning acupuncture!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 6, 2007
    • 08:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had similar problems as you all described here. Most doctors treat it as allergy if there isn't infection or other structural disorders. However the treatment doesn't work. I believe two things: GERD and moisturising your nostrils. Once your GERD is treated, you need to keep your nostrils moisturized. During the day time, you can use saline mix to spray your nostrils until you feel saline mix flows down through your throat so that your entire breath path is thinnered by the mix. During night time, you should run an electric vaporizer in your bedroom so the steam from the vaporizer maintain humidity in your bedroom. The concept of this is to maintain certain degree of moisture in your nostril all the time so that bacterias can't grow. Keep it in mind that bacterias grow in dry nostrils and thus worsens your condition and eventually causes thick mucus. Be persistent and you will see the results. I have tried this simple way which worked for me. Tell me if it works for you....Do you mean a hot steam or a cool mist vaporizer. I have been using a cool mist and maybe that is the problem. Let me know.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • hot steam and postural drainage is the old fashioned ---and unusually,in this case very effective ----way to treat sinusitis.i even find using the steam iron effective!one of the problems with bacteria in the sinuses is that they have usually been there for most of a persons life.and every time a course of antibiotic is taken,perhaps fof an unrelatedcondition ,they are exposed to a sub critical dose .blood supply to the sinuses is poor,and not enough gets through to kill them all.the ones with higher resistance survive,and every time a more resistant population emerges.if they become a problem,it can take four courses of high dose antibiotics to eliminate them,and you gotta gettem all!even worse trouble if you dont!so once you start you must finish.unfortunately ,in my experience some doctors have to have this explained to them.(tactfully!)i dont know about this last suggestion,but what if a person developed an allergic reaction to the bacteria themselves?and what if the bacteria provoking such a reaction were to be a long standing residential population such as i have described?result?----an inexolicable,intractable allergy!who said you cant treat allergy with antibiotic?(i am just guessing here ---i have no evidence---but if all else is failing to tackle that allergy ,why not try it?where is the harm?)sorry no references to oriental medicine here.you will just have to go without.
  • I've had allergies all my life. When I was younger a relative actually asked if I had TB because I had a dry hacking cough. As the years went by I was diagnosed with asthma - caused by allergies. Went through all kinds of allergy shots until my arm had a hard knot in the muscle. Tried all kinds of allergy meds - over the counter and prescriptions. Two years ago we took up all the rugs, change the air filter every week in the heat and a/c unit, have 3 air purifiers. I know I am allergic to several things...mold, dust, cat dander, grass and tree pollen, and all fresh citrus fruit, some canned fruits and juices, perfume (why do some people bath in it?). Interestingly both my kids and grandkids are allergic to milk. I am still troubled through pollen season and a couple weeks after. Mucus, coughing until my ribs, stomach, head, chest hurts, wheezing. Definately worse at night. Things I have found that help, but it takes longer to get over it and each spring it is worse. Vaporizer with Vicks Vaporub. Sleeping with head elevated (we have a queen size hospital type bed). Singular at night, Mucinex in the morning. Nebulizer with albuterol four times a day. Doctor also prescribes something called a Z-pack which is taken for 5 days (massive dose of antibiotic). Prednisone also helps. I feel like a walking drug store but it's better than sitting in the bathroom all day coughing up crud and being awake all night. I dread spring every year!
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• HiI gargle with Listerine mouthwash and it loosens it all up so I can spit it out and get some sleep. Hopes this helps.
  • I need some help, last yr July, 06 I started get several bouts of Strep throat. In Jan, 07 ,my tonsils were removed. In Feb 07 I came down with an eye infection (little bumps on my lids) I have drops that I have been taking. 3/07 I have went back to the E,N & Throat Dr. Describing pain & pressure & a feeling like mucus was cought in my throat that I could not cought out. he basicly dismissed me advising me that there was nothing there. Anyway the muscan is mostly thick & white sometime clear. after I shower I have a small amount of color rusty brown. 6/07 I final gave up & went to my family Dr. I'm now on Zantrax in the morning, Senatrax @ night & a Nasal spray. Yesterday I had a CT scan done. I keep hearing about sinus surgery being painful & having to have it done several time. I guess here my question do you think trying a Nettie pot might help this whole issue. Does anyone have anything simular to my issues???
  • Do you mean a hot steam or a cool mist vaporizer. I have been using a cool mist and maybe that is the problem. Let me know.A hot steam is more effective that a cool mist vaporize.
  • I'm sorry but I'm actually glad to hear someone else has this problem. I thought I was all alone. I also have asthma. I'm taking allergy medicine and mucas thinner seems to help some. The drainage is worse in the mornings and I don't want to cough because it will trip the asthma and there I go coughing and wheezing. Next month I see an allergy specialist. Hopefully, he will have some more advise. Best of luck
  • Pl visit www.nosecare.org where you can find solution for your probRay, I have a similar history as yours but spread out over a much longer time. I had the same gooey green problem you did for most of my life. About 12 years ago I had the same surgery you did. The surgeon had me on the out-patient operating tabe 3 1/2 hours and said it was the worst sinus case he had ever operated on with 13 1/2 out of 14 of my major sinus cavities plugged. (I hadn't been able to breathe through my nose for two years). Anyway, the surgery gave me a new life and I had been relatively problem free up until recently. About five months ago, I began to experience a very similar problem to what you are presently experiencing. I began to cough, mostly at night and had to spit up a clear, but slightly lumpy and sticky sinus drainage. It has progressively gotten worse as time has gone on. As you , I find it extremely uncomfortable and wake up 1 to 3 times a night in severe coughing spells that are only alleviated when I spit up enough of the drainage. Also I spend a lot of time during the daytime running to the bathroom to clear my throat mutiple times and or cough up the drainage, trying not to scare or annoy people I work with. The last couple of months, I started eliminating all the things I thought it could be (cat, environment, mold, bedding, etc.), and have come to the conclusion it is food related. I am just starting to see a GP who has given me a couple of antibiotics as a precaution. He tends to believe it is an allergy and will refer me to an allergist. (I presently just caught a massive cold which really made me miserable and stopped attempts at diagnosis, but as soon as it is over, I will pursue the allergist trail). I have been very methodical in my elimination of things that I think it can be. I was out of town two weeks and the symptoms stayed about the same. I think I have proved it is not just one food as I have eliminated suspected foods and the problem persists. Tomorrow I am going to try eating only brown rice and water for a week or two and see if the problem subsides. If nothing else, it wouldn't hurt to lose a few pounds in the process. :) It's good to commiserate with someone wo has the same problem and history. I will keep you posted as to what I determine with my food elimintion project. if you find out what is causing your problem or you have any new information, email me back. Good luck! George At that point i began to
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 11, 2007
    • 02:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had the same symptoms. After I went on a low carb diet it got much better. I don't know which food it was but when I go off it the symptoms come back.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 22, 2007
    • 03:06 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had similar problems and I seem to have found the answer. I hope the following is helpful. About two years ago I started experiencing a lump in my throat that could not be cleared. I also noticed bad breath and a coated white tongue at the back. I started using a product called Therabreath (toothpaste and mouthwash) that helped alot. Then about a 8 months ago I noticed I was suffering from thick mucus that could be spit out but I was constantly spitting. It was thick - white and sticky. Very disgusting. However, I noticed it was worse after eating and definitely at night when I was trying to sleep. I started looking at what I ate and what common ingredient was in everything I ate. I soon discovered that Soy was present, in one form or another, in just about everything I ate. I started checking the ingredients details on food packaging and totally stopped eating anything with soy in it. Well, within 48 hours I was almost totally cleared of thick mucus and having to spit constantly. Its been two weeks now and I can't believe the difference. Its not easy since soy is present in alot of stuff. Bread for one. I definitely know when I have made a mistake since the thick mucus comes back almost immediately.I noticed in one of the comments on the website that someone had success with a low carb diet. That would make sense since it seems that soy is present in alot of high carb foods such as bread.I hope this information is helpfu.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 23, 2007
    • 03:42 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Wow! I am absolutely amazed that I found this forum! I'm so happy I could almost cry! (I said ALMOST!) Anyways, I have had severe/chronic sinus issues for almost 10 years now. Sinusitis (infection) is only a sparatic issue. My main problem is restricted breathing through my nose, allergies, headaches, sleeplessness, and constant fatigue. In the last 5 or 6 years I have seen countless ENT specialists, lung specialists, GP's, natural/homeopathic practitioners, allergists, a few immunologists (the one I'm seeing now is very good, Dr. Gordon Sussman in Toronto), and I've been to 2 sleep clinics. I've been through the gamut of treatments; allergy tests, lung tests, CT Scans, MRI scans, etc, etc. What I'm on right now, singulair and sinutabs are keeping my condition livable (as well as some puffers), but it really really really really sucks. I've tried every sinus rinse, body cleanse, saline pump (a machine that pumps saline water into one nostril and it comes out the other), vitamins, etc. and nothing seems to really do the trick. Plus i have all the lung problems everyone here is talking about which only started about 5 years ago, and now what i think is the worst of all is 2 years ago I have almost completely lost my sense of smell! Not cool.But I do have a little bit of insight from my personal experience. SAGE OIL. It's not a miracle potion, but by goodness is it lovely. Sage oil is traditionally given to people as an expectorant (to cough up) and people who have excessive sweating... sweating, that means it dries up fluid and naturally in turn mucus membranes. I use it all the time and it seriously makes a difference. With it, all my symptoms are lessened and I have some of my sense of smell back, but not all mind you. It is best to take sage oil by putting the oil into digestible capsules that you can buy and natural/vitamin stores and taking a couple at least three times throughout the day. Just a constant bombardment in your body. It has absolutely no side affects unless you take it on an empty stomach, in which case it's just very strong as if you were to swallow a spicy pepper whole.Something that another poster said reminded me of something as well. They said certain canned foods makes them react. Think of it, canned food. Why canned food? Simple answer: preservatives. There is so much crap in the food we eat that it makes problems for people like us into life altering issues. I dare anyone to try to find out all the ingredients of a meal from a fast food restaurant. You'll never find out what they put in it. It's these chemicals that are used to either alter flavours or keeps items from going bad longer that's seriously complicating issues for us. The old adage truly has merit here, "you are what you eat".I hope anything that I have said helps anyone in anyway.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 23, 2007
    • 06:28 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm relieved to see I'm not the only person with this problem. I have had post nasal drip for most of my life (I'm 45) with sinus infections all the time. Two years ago, I started allergy shots and hadn't been sick for a year. I caught a cold but it ran it's course. I just recently came down with a sinus infection again, and this time the drainage was different...it was tight in my airway and I have had these coughing spells where I can't seem to get the mucus out. It feels like I'm going to choke to death. With a trip to the ER this morning, they doc put me on Mucinex and told me to continue taking my antibiotic that I started 3 days ago, and to also try Prednisone for 3 days because my larynx is so inflamed from drainage. I sound like Darth Vader with severe laryngitis. The coughing spells scare the ***l out of me; even though the doctor reassured me I can't choke to death on mucus, it sure feels like it when it's happening. For a while there I thought my sinus infection days were done, but I guess I was wrong. Hopefully it will only happen once or twice a year.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 1, 2008
    • 09:18 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement