Discussions By Condition: Hand conditions

Bumps on Palm of Hands

Posted In: Hand conditions 22 Replies
  • Posted By: brdwaybabe521
  • March 26, 2007
  • 05:10 PM

I have a collection of these very strange bumps on the palms of my hands. They are on both hands, and theres about 25 on each. They are very small, and at first they started out big and raised, and then with time they retreated and became just unsightly, small, discolored bumps.They blistered almost, and then the top layer of skin peeled away, leaving some of the bumps, but a decreased amount. Then, recently, the bumps have GROWN BACK, and they're raised again, and still in the center of my palm! They're clustered together, and grew back at the same time in both hands. I saw a doctor about 3 weeks ago, when the dots had retreated slightly, and they diagnosed them as warts. Now, it's been over a month with them, and with their growing back and all, I don't think they're warts anymore. Can anybody PLEASE help????
Could it possibly be Dyshidrosis? ...I'm scared.

Reply Flag this Discussion

22 Replies:

• I have the same condition. It is like 15-20 small little brownish-red bumps (dots) on each palm. It sort of feels like rough, dry skin. It is not painful and I hardly notice it. I don't know if I should go see a doctor, or if it will just go away. Any thoughts?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • That sounds like eczema. I have the same thing and a dermatologist can give you a cream. There is no "cure" for it and is really annoying. I get it in the summer when my hands get clammier. Eczema, the most common type of skin inflammation (dermatitis), refers to several conditions that share a pattern of changes in the surface of the skin. Eczema first appears as an episode of itching and redness of the skin. You also may have tiny bumps or blisters. When it develops into a long-term condition (chronic eczema), it leads to thickening skin, scaling, flaking, dryness and color changes. There are many types of eczema, depending on the cause, shape and location of the rash. Most are related to allergies or to contact with irritating chemicals. Some are associated with underlying medical conditions that cause fluid retention in the legs. In the United States, eczema affects approximately 10% of the population.Contact dermatitis — When irritants touch the skin, they can produce two types of contact dermatitis. One is irritant contact dermatitis, which is the direct irritation of the skin. Irritant contact dermatitis can be caused by prolonged contact with mild irritants such as bubble bath, soap, sweat, saliva, urine and even water. The second type of contact dermatitis is allergic contact dermatitis, which is an allergic reaction in the skin. This only occurs in people who have an allergy to a specific substance. Each year, some type of skin allergy affects about 70% of people in the Unoted States. The most common allergens are poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac. Other substances that trigger skin allergies include materials used to build homes and offices, cleaning products, deodorants, cosmetics and medications. Hope this helps!!!
  • Any luck getting it cleared up? I have the exact same issue, in fact, I couldn't have described it better.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 20, 2007
    • 04:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Ok, my family is suffering from the mysterious red bumps as well- my son, who is almost 2 had it the worst. His hands were lumpy almost and very red. His pediatrician swears it is an allergic reaction to something he's touched. He prescribed an antihistamine and hydrocortisone cream. It cleared up but now his palms are scaly/ flaky. Then my husband and I noticed we both had these odd little bumps on our palms & fingers but only a few at a time and they were like little pimples under the skin which do not itch but are sore on the spot when carrying something or applying pressure. They go away within a day or two and then come back. We are dumbfounded. I use all natural cleaning products and haven't introduced anything new, so it remains a mystery. I showed my child's pediatrician and he basically laughed it off, saying I couldn't really conclude it was the same thing as my son. He keeps asking if I use latex gloves (answer yes when I wash the dishes) because children especially have a sensitivity to latex. However, how does that explain mine and my husbands reactions? Any clues?
    allisoneny 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • the diagnosis by a dermatologist was: viral infection!
    allisoneny 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • I found this site while trying to find something that will cure whatever we all seem to have in common in the palms of my hands. I got it in January 2008. I thought it was a reaction to some clay I was working with, but after a couple months of not using the clay and it was getting worse, I went to a dermatologist. First Prednisone and a hand cream. Problem cleared up nicely, but reappeared on the ninth day of an eight-day Prednisone regimen. Called the Dr. He then decided I should go on an antibiotic for 30 days and a different hand cream. All expensive. Today is day 28. My palms are worse. Judging from so many people having this same mysterious problem and no Dr. seems to know what it is, maybe we should start trying to figure out what we have in common. I used a Made in China hand lotion and liquid soap set that I was given for a gift at the same time I was using the afore-mentioned clay. I've checked with the clay manufacturer and the dermatologist agrees it wasn't the clay. I've had to quit working with my pottery, though, because I can't work with it with gloves on. I live in the country and use my hands all the time in yard and barnyard, as well as using the regular household products, which, until this occured, I had not changed in months or years. Oh, and I'm 60 years old if that might have any relevance. I recently met a 48 year old woman who saw my hands and showed me hers. She's had this stuff for six years and her sister also has it and can't remember for how long, but years. The first dermatologist she went to prescribed Valium! Why don't the dermatologists know how to "fix" the problem? I travel two hours to get to my appointments because the guy has a good reputation, but I've no confidence in him.
    minetoo 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • hi, I have a similar problem and I think I have allergy to some particular substance. Its a very strange thing actually. I don't drive a lot and nowadays I started driving my husband's car. The fabric cover of the steering wheel seems to have something as whenever I have driven for long hours I get this back. This is the second time I have got it..the previous one healed in a few weeks time...this one came back this week itslef and I am now looking for a cure so I don't have to wait for so many weeks for it to go...it is very itchy and the tiny boils this time are also started to break up and pass some fluid, which is very annoying. I feel scared to cook and wanna wear gloves so as not to pass on something with th fluids into the food....anybody..is this eczema? whats the best cure?
  • A dermatologist tells me that my condition is called dyshidrotic exema, or dyshydrosis. He said it's from coming in contact with "something", but there is no way to tell what. He said some doctors think it is caused by stress, anxiety, or nerves, but he thinks it is a contact thing. He used the anaology of headaches; same kind of pain - different causes. Some people will get better with antihistamines. The only thing that has helped my palms is Prednisone. On the ninth day of an eight-day regimen, I started breaking out again. He tried something different for awhile that didn't help at all, so now I'm back on Prednisone and my palms are almost back to normal. He said that Prednisone is safe when used in low doses, but can cause problems if used consistently for a long time (couple of years), so that's why I decided to try it again. I just want my hands back to normal. I'm down to two every other day right now and in about six days, I'll drop down to one every other day for a week and then re-evaluate and call him. Mine didn't itch as intensely as some people say theirs does. I hope this information helps someone.
    minetoo 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • Dishydrotic Eczema. It can come from a variety of things such as hereditary,allergies (see wikipedia/google) but is truly unknown of it's origin. However, what is known, is that alot of people develop it as a result of a fungal infection of the toenail or nails of the hand. It is a reaction that occurs when there is fungus present in the body. The bumps appear only on the palms, sometimes fingers and the feet. They are raised, very small white/almost clear, and when they are dry, will crack and peel. The skin can become inflamed, turning it red/pink, it can be itchy and sometimes sting a little. Using cortizone creams to subside itching and redness works well. In addition, because it is considered a ringworm (fungus of the skin), athletes foot sprays,lotions and powders are hughly suggested. Hope that helps! I've been dealing with a fungal infection of my left big toe and left thumbnail for about 6 months now and those are almsot clear which in turn is clearing up the dishydrotic eczema.
    Mel0907 3 Replies
    • November 6, 2008
    • 04:37 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My Bumps are a little different then yours, I got them a week ago, it started when i got out my fake Christmas tree, out of the shed, I thought it might be fiber glass, but i didn’t think fiber glass would stay in your hand for a week. The bumps come back every morning, oh and its only on one hand, and I touched the tree with both hands. I have stayed at someone else house, and it still came back in the morning, so it’s not something in my bed or house. They don't hurt, I feel a poky feeling every once in a while, but its not that bad. If you have any idea what it is, please let me know, im not worried, just curious.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 8, 2008
    • 05:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Pianotizer, If possible, can you please describe your symptoms. How do the bumps look? Color,texture,number of them, etc....Thank you for your details in how you may have contracted them. Please note, I am not a physician or clinician of any sort, but I'd be happy help you research the illness. Thank you for any additional information you can post. Mel.;)
    Mel0907 3 Replies
    • December 8, 2008
    • 09:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hi, I've had the same kind of blisters on my hands, little round clear bumps that keep growing and eventually join up together into bigger blisters. The colour goes more yellowish (orange even in the sun) as they get bigger. They are always 'active' at night, when I'm warm in bed - particularly if I'm a little too warm. When they're really itchy I get an ice pack out and it stops the itch almost straight away. I've had this problem occasionally over the last 6 years, and over the last 2 years I have constantly had either normal eczema alone, or combined with these blisters. My dermatologist prescribed cortisone, and basically said to just keep using it. I'm not comfortable with that 'solution', especially as sometimes it will resist the cortisone, particularly if I continue eating foods that contribute to the problem. The dermatologist stated that diet has no effect on dishydrotic eczema, or indeed any eczema - but I have clearly noticed that changing my diet has a clear effect on it. Chocolate in particular will make the rashes much worse, and I believe that dairy has a significant effect as well.Changing my diet has helped the rashes not to get completely out of control, but they are on the fingers and palms of both hands and make it very difficult for me to do many of the normal day-to-day things that I need/want to do. I don't feel comfortable using cortisone constantly, although I do use it intermittently to keep things under control.Recently I came across some articles suggesting that dishydrotic eczema was caused by a nickel-sensitivity in some individuals, and that by following a nickel-free diet, the eczema could often be successfully minimised/controlled. The diet would be difficult for me to follow as it basically requires cutting out of almost all vegetables! Meat and dairy products, not being grown from soil, have much less significant nickel content apparently. I'm not sure I'm willing to try this yet, as I can only imagine the detrimental effects of eating so few vegetables in one's diet.Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated...!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 18, 2009
    • 00:41 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same issue for the past year! I have been on antihistamines also. I am now going for Patch testing on Monday.Couple of thoughts;I was wondering if Nickel was present in the plastic of my steering wheel of my car. That is the only thing I can think of that I 'touch" everyday.Today, I put a fabric cover on it to see if that helps. I truly believe that this is allergy contact dermatitis. Since I never had any skin issues in my 45 years.When I saw my new dermatologist this past week, she suggested coal tar. I couldn't find it but I did find Mg 217 Psoriasis shampoo. ($10.49 at CVS) I put it on and left it on for 5 minutes or so, Rinsed, and patted my hands (not dry) and put on Aveeno hand cream/lotion ($7.99 CVS) or I use Norwegian Formula hand cream by Neutrogena-($4.79 CVS) **use immediately after the treatment**. It has been 3 days and the redness is gone, itch is gone. (I actually had the first "no itch" night after the first treatment.) There is still some flaking--but heck if this continues to like this, I will be so happy.I do this "treatment" 3 times a day.If this is the solution that I need to be cured- I certainly will be annoyed that "the fix" cost me less than $20 in products.I have been to 3 dermatologist in a year, countess different holistic doctors, like Chinese and Ayurvedic in addition to an allergist. I have spent close to $2000, "finding the cure". And I can't count how many bottles of this and that I've tried and that did not work.I hope this is helpful to you.Illana
  • I have the same issue for the past year! I have been on antihistamines also. I am now going for Patch testing on Monday.Couple of thoughts;I was wondering if Nickel was present in the plastic of my steering wheel of my car. That is the only thing I can think of that I 'touch" everyday.Today, I put a fabric cover on it to see if that helps. I truly believe that this is allergy contact dermatitis. Since I never had any skin issues in my 45 years.When I saw my new dermatologist this past week, she suggested coal tar. I couldn't find it but I did find Mg 217 Psoriasis shampoo. ($10.49 at CVS) I put it on and left it on for 5 minutes or so, Rinsed, and patted my hands (not dry) and put on Aveeno hand cream/lotion ($7.99 CVS) or I use Norwegian Formula hand cream by Neutrogena-($4.79 CVS) **use immediately after the treatment**. It has been 3 days and the redness is gone, itch is gone. (I actually had the first "no itch" night after the first treatment.) There is still some flaking--but heck if this continues to like this, I will be so happy.I do this "treatment" 3 times a day.If this is the solution that I need to be cured- I certainly will be annoyed that "the fix" cost me less than $20 in products.I have been to 3 dermatologist in a year, countess different holistic doctors, like Chinese and Ayurvedic in addition to an allergist. I have spent close to $2000, "finding the cure". And I can't count how many bottles of this and that I've tried and that did not work.I hope this is helpful to you.Illana
    illanaisme 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hey, Illana! Thank you for your reply. I know I'm only several months behind you, lol, but I'd stopped checking after a while to see if anyone had responded. I really appreciate your suggestions, and I'll definitely give this a go.Serene
  • Hi!In a search for "what this is" I happened across this forum. I woke up this Monday morning with these tiny bumps on my left plam, just below the thumb. I noticed them there when I put my hands in warm/hot water. They mildly itch, not to the point I want to scratch them. They almost look like poision ivy bumps but the possibility of contact is only possible if I got it by second hand contact. I have never had these before in my life and am wondering what they could be from. My only change this past weekend was that I bought a 1997 Toyota MR2 that I drove for the first time Saturday. The car has the original, cracked steering wheel and I put a brand new leather steering wheel cover on it. The only problem is, the new cover doesn't completely cover the steering wheel and the palm area below my thumb (where the bumps are) did come in contact with the old wheel. My other vehicle has a leather wrapped steering wheel and I have carried leather purses and vynals for years with no problems. So I am thinking, after reading some other posts, that it is the old, cracked steering wheel and I am going to have it changed out and see if it goes away. Not sure if this helps...
  • I had this allergic reaction a few hours after using Lush's Dream Cream (which i'd never used before) ... gonna go doctors tomorrow but i know all theyre gonna do is give me an antehistamine like clarityn or something, which ive been taking anyway but it hasnt taken any effect so far.
  • hi, I have a similar problem and I think I have allergy to some particular substance. Its a very strange thing actually. I don't drive a lot and nowadays I started driving my husband's car. The fabric cover of the steering wheel seems to have something as whenever I have driven for long hours I get this back. This is the second time I have got it..the previous one healed in a few weeks time...this one came back this week itslef and I am now looking for a cure so I don't have to wait for so many weeks for it to go...it is very itchy and the tiny boils this time are also started to break up and pass some fluid, which is very annoying. I feel scared to cook and wanna wear gloves so as not to pass on something with th fluids into the food....anybody..is this eczema? whats the best cure?I am so glad to see this because the strangest thing is I swear I am getting bumps on my hands and fingers from the steering wheel of my HUSBANDS car!!! crazy similarity I wonder if that is what is causing it...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 28, 2009
    • 08:21 AM
    Flag this Response
  • the diagnosis by a dermatologist was: viral infection!I get the same thing on my plams and fingers every time I get a viral cold or flu. So does my mother. I suspected it was a virus too.
  • So many people have this and I believe that it is the direct result of a latent hpv infection. I'm referring to those of you that have a clear small non itchy and non red type.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement