Discussions By Condition: Back conditions

Tens Unit- Any good?

Posted In: Back conditions 11 Replies
  • Posted By: favrex
  • March 24, 2007
  • 04:47 AM

I called my dr. today to see if he could recommend a tens unit to try for my bad back pain, I have read good and bad comments on it, what do you all think?? If I get one I have pay out of pocket, so I dont want to be wasting my money. Anyone, Please........ Let me know, any comment and opinion is welcome. Rex:confused:

Reply Flag this Discussion

11 Replies:

• I'm very happy with my TENS unit. Just make sure you get the proper instruction and understand all the possible settings so you can find the pain relief to fit your needs. Every person is different in how much stimulation they need for relief.Good Luck
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • thanks for your input, I want to get one, wish I could get one this week, we are going to Idaho and driving for over 5 hours in the most uncomfortable car... I know it will kill my back.. But I have to wait til my deductible is met,. or it will be $395.00 It sucks. If you have any more input, I would appreciate you sharing it with me. Thanks again.. Anyone else??
    favrex 9 Replies Flag this Response
  • I highly recommend acupuncture over a tens unit as it can really help your spine to heal. A Tens unit is good for pain management, but you may find more lasting relief with acupuncture. Of course this depends on how long you have had your back pain, and what is the cause. Just my opinion and my own experience treating patients with back pain. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • Everyones different, my pain doctor put me on the tens unit, and said go visit Gettysburg (5 1/2 drive), have fun. Just today I found out I have a form of osteomyelytis (complications from a previous back surgery in Nov and Dec) So, I don't know if the regular pain could have been offset by the tens unit, if I wasn't diagnosed with this, but during the time I used it it seemed to harden my muscles and cause later pain, than redirecting it. I would say try it and see is it makes a difference...I was told after 2 weeks I could return it if it did not help. Julie
    juliet_keller 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • Husband is having physical therapy and they are using the Tens unit on him but has only been about 3 times. So far he is not really showing any improvement at all. In fact now he is having jerking or a very, hard like twitching up and down that arm.
    agypsygrl 79 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have one at home and it really doesn't work for me. It feels like it helps stimulate the muscles but as soon as I move my back tightens and spasms.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • LGMedSupply has TENS Unit, Muscle Stimulators, and Ultrasound Units at really good prices. They are very affordable and easy to use. Good power like the pt office I go to. The site is http://www.lgmedsupply.com. I got the LG-TEC which is a combination TENS and Muscle Stimulator in one portable unit. I also purchased an ultrasound for just over $100. TENS Units work incredible. It blocks the pain signal from the spinal cord to the brain by electric stimulation which overrides the pain receptor. Go to www.lgmedsupply.com and you will get additional information and great prices. Yes you should definitely purchase a tens unit.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 9, 2008
    • 00:49 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I called my dr. today to see if he could recommend a tens unit to try for my bad back pain, I have read good and bad comments on it, what do you all think?? If I get one I have pay out of pocket, so I dont want to be wasting my money. Anyone, Please........ Let me know, any comment and opinion is welcome. Rex:confused:I started using my Dad's TENS and got addicted to it. Soon I had it on HIGH and used it for 2-3 hours and my skin had now feeling to it on my back. I had to give up using the TENS. It works for a while but then nothing replaces good Opioid narcotic pain killer medications like Morphine and Oxycodone. I'd try getting the doc to prescribe Percocet 10/325's, say 3 tabs every 6 hours with a max daily limit of 12 tabs. And maybe some MC CONTIN at 60mg range twice daily. Lets hope the TENS works out for you. It didn't do anything long lasting for me.good luck
    axelrose 66 Replies
    • December 17, 2008
    • 07:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I started using my Dad's TENS and got addicted to it. Soon I had it on HIGH and used it for 2-3 hours and my skin had now feeling to it on my back. I had to give up using the TENS. It works for a while but then nothing replaces good Opioid narcotic pain killer medications like Morphine and Oxycodone. I'd try getting the doc to prescribe Percocet 10/325's, say 3 tabs every 6 hours with a max daily limit of 12 tabs. And maybe some MC CONTIN at 60mg range twice daily. Lets hope the TENS works out for you. It didn't do anything long lasting for me. good luck Have you tried acupuncture? It's a much better option IMO than narcotics. DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • December 18, 2008
    • 02:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you tried acupuncture? It's a much better option IMO than narcotics. DOMNever tried it. I do AGREE than just about anything is better than pills if possible. Sometimes you can't avoid the pills especially in an ER situation or to get you over the hump...But I've been doing the pills for 2 years straight and it's changed the core of the biological workings of my brain. The pleasure center has moved to adapt to pills instead of other things.Morphine is a chemical castration. Percocet makes you crave it like you would imagine heroin addicts crave, it's nasty to crave like food and water after crossing a dessert.I feel like a homeless person living inside a 3 bedroom home.:confused:
    axelrose 66 Replies
    • December 18, 2008
    • 06:31 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I got a great discount at Discount medical supplies! Right you can get 10% off on all Tens Units
    DMS_Sherry 2 Replies
    • September 17, 2012
    • 02:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement