Discussions By Condition: Anal/Rectal Conditions

Watery Anal Fluid

Posted In: Anal/Rectal Conditions 7 Replies
  • Posted By: shazadoobie
  • March 21, 2007
  • 00:35 PM

For almost the past year I have experienced watery fluid leakage from my bottom. It is colourless and causes irritation and itching. I also have a constant dull ache in my stomach on the lower right side. I recently had a colonoscopy which didn't show anything out of the ordinary (although they only managed to look 3/4 of the way round before I woke up in pain and they stopped). I returned to my GP this morning assuming I would be referred to the hospital again for further investigation into the problem. All she did was look at my bottom and declare the itching is causing the fluid loss, gave me some cream and send me packing.

I am now getting very frustrated. I don't see how the itching can cause fluid loss from so far up into my back passage. I am hoping someone else may have had the same syptoms and can enlighten me as to what exactly is causing it.

Many Thanks

Reply Flag this Discussion

7 Replies:

• For almost the past year I have experienced watery fluid leakage from my bottom. It is colourless and causes irritation and itching. I also have a constant dull ache in my stomach on the lower right side. I recently had a colonoscopy which didn't show anything out of the ordinary (although they only managed to look 3/4 of the way round before I woke up in pain and they stopped). I returned to my GP this morning assuming I would be referred to the hospital again for further investigation into the problem. All she did was look at my bottom and declare the itching is causing the fluid loss, gave me some cream and send me packing. I am now getting very frustrated. I don't see how the itching can cause fluid loss from so far up into my back passage. I am hoping someone else may have had the same syptoms and can enlighten me as to what exactly is causing it. Many Thanks if you still check this wondering how youu got on with it i have had this problem for over 2 years now and need get it seriously sorted im on the edge here just being wet constantly allday any help would be appreciated dude
    Brunoss G 1 Replies
    • September 8, 2008
    • 09:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi BrunossI never did get a proper diagnosis. It still happens but not constantly, luckily it only averages 3-4 times a week. I do sympathise with you with it being a constant problem, I know how uncomfortable you must feel. Have you seen your doctor? I always carry "wet" toilet tissue wipes in my handbag. It helps with the irritation but certainly doesn't solve the problem. I've also cut out pretty much all dairy and wheat from my diet which did seem to help a little but not dramatically enough to have been the cause. See your doctor and please let me know how you get on.Good luck!
    shazadoobie 1 Replies
    • September 10, 2008
    • 11:30 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have these symptoms you both describe!! Have either of you ever figured out the cause? My symptoms started after treatment with anitbiotics. Did either of your symptoms start soon after taking antibiotics?Thanks for any info
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi BrunossI never did get a proper diagnosis. It still happens but not constantly, luckily it only averages 3-4 times a week. I do sympathise with you with it being a constant problem, I know how uncomfortable you must feel. Have you seen your doctor? I always carry "wet" toilet tissue wipes in my handbag. It helps with the irritation but certainly doesn't solve the problem. I've also cut out pretty much all dairy and wheat from my diet which did seem to help a little but not dramatically enough to have been the cause. See your doctor and please let me know how you get on.Good luck!Hi all i have this prob to i found this info on hemorrhoids and bugga me i think this is what we have hope this helps Cheers What Is It?Hemorrhoids are lumps or masses of tissue in the anus, which contain enlarged blood vessels. Hemorrhoids may be inside the anal canal (internal hemorrhoids), where they primarily cause the symptom of intermittent bleeding, usually with bowel movements. They may also lie just outside the anal canal (external hemorrhoids), where they primarily cause symptoms of swelling and sometimes discomfort. Swelling and discomfort may occur intermittently, when the hemorrhoids become especially irritated.Many patients have both internal and external hemorrhoids. In most cases, the increase in abdominal pressure that triggers hemorrhoids is related to one or more of the following:Repeated straining to have a bowel movement, especially in people who suffer from frequent constipationThe pressure of the fetus in pregnant womenRepeated episodes of diarrheaObesityCirrhosis of the liver, in rare casesInternal hemorrhoids, which develop inside the passageway of the anus, are usually painless. Internal hemorrhoids also may protrude (prolapse) outside the anus, where they appear as small, grape-like masses. These can be painful.External hemorrhoids, which develop around the external opening of the anus, may be painful, because the skin around them is very sensitive. Sometimes they are just bothersome protrusions, which make hygiene difficult. External hemorrhoids sometimes develop a clot inside of them, often after a period of diarrhea or constipation. In that case, it produces a firm and painful swelling or lump around the rim of the anus.Hemorrhoids are a very common health problem, affecting at least 4% of people in the United States at any one time. You are more likely to develop hemorrhoids if you eat a low-fiber diet and don't get enough exercise, which can lead to repeated episodes of constipation and straining to have bowel movements. SymptomsSymptoms of hemorrhoids include:Bright red blood on the toilet paper after having a bowel movement, especially if the stool was very hard or very large. Blood also may streak the surface of the stool, or color the water inside the toilet bowl For a prolapsed hemorrhoid, a soft, grape-like mass protruding from the anus that may be itchy or painful or may leak a fluid or mucus. In some cases, you can gently press the prolapsed hemorrhoid back into the anus with your fingertips.For an external hemorrhoid, a painful bulge or firm lump around the rim of the anus. The lump may have a blue or purple tint.DiagnosisUnless there is rectal bleeding, most people with hemorrhoids can diagnose and treat the problem themselves. If you have rectal bleeding, it is important for you to see a physician, so he or she can check for more dangerous causes of bleeding. Expected DurationPainful hemorrhoid flare-ups can be a persistent problem, especially if you suffer from repeated episodes of constipation. Flare-ups are usually brief, and most symptoms disappear within a few days. In pregnant women, hemorrhoids are often a temporary problem that either improves dramatically or disappears after childbirth. PreventionYou often can prevent hemorrhoids by preventing episodes of constipation. Some of the following diet and lifestyle changes may help you to soften your stool, establish a regular schedule for bowel movements and avoid the straining that can lead to hemorrhoids:Add more fiber to your diet � Set a goal of 25 to 30 grams of fiber daily, from such high fiber foods as beans, broccoli, carrots, bran, whole grains and fresh fruits. To avoid bloating and gas, add these foods gradually over a period of several days. Drink adequate amounts of fluid � For most healthy adults, this is the equivalent of 6 to 8 glasses of water daily.Begin a program of regular exercise � As little as 20 minutes of brisk walking daily can stimulate your bowel to move regularly.Train your digestive tract to have regular bowel movements � Schedule a time to sit on the toilet at approximately the same time each day. The best time to do this is usually right after a meal. Do not sit on the toilet for long periods (it tends to make hemorrhoids push out and swell up).Respond immediately to the urge to have a bowel movement � Do not postpone until the time is more convenient. If dietary changes are not enough to prevent hard, dry stools, your doctor may suggest that you take a fiber powder supplement containing psyllium (Metamucil) or methylcellulose (Citrucel). TreatmentIf you have been diagnosed with hemorrhoids in the past, and you are experiencing a flare-up of pain or itching, try the following strategy:Because persistent constipation can aggravate your hemorrhoids and prevent them from improving, take preventive measures to avoid constipation.Take warm sitz baths, especially when the hemorrhoids are uncomfortable. Sit in a tub or pan of plain warm water, 3 or 4 times a day, for 15-20 minutes each time. (Large pharmacies and medical supply stores also sell convenient plastic sitz bath devices that fit into a toilet). The water will keep the area clean, and the warmth will reduce inflammation and discomfort. Be certain to dry the rectal area thoroughly after each sitz bath. If you work, you can still take a sitz bath in the morning, upon returning from work, and again at bedtime.Apply a cold compress or icepack to the anal area, or try a cool cotton pad soaked in witch hazel.Apply petroleum jelly or aloe vera gel to the anal area, or use an over-the-counter hemorrhoid preparation containing lidocaine or hydrocortisone.After every bowel movement, clean the anal area with a witch hazel pad, a soothing baby wipe or a cotton cloth soaked in warm water. Be thorough but gentle. Aggressive rubbing and scrubbing, especially with soaps or other skin cleansers, can irritate the skin and make your hemorrhoids worse.If you have more severe hemorrhoid symptoms, or if your hemorrhoids are prolapsed or filled with a blood clot, your doctor may recommend one of the following treatment options:Rubber band ligation � A rubber band is slipped around the base of the hemorrhoid to cut off its circulation. Once it has been deprived of its vital blood supply, the banded hemorrhoid withers and falls off.Sclerotherapy � An irritating chemical solution is injected directly into the hemorrhoid or the area around it. This solution causes a local reaction that interferes with blood flow inside the hemorrhoid, making the hemorrhoid shrink.Coagulation therapies � These treatments use electricity, a laser or infrared light to destroy hemorrhoids by burning.Hemorrhoidectomy � Although this surgical removal of hemorrhoids is painful, it is effective.When To Call a ProfessionalCall your doctor whenever you have bleeding from your rectum. Even if you have been treated for bleeding hemorrhoids in the past, it is always safer for your doctor to determine the best course of action. This is especially true if you are over age 40, when there is an increase in the risk of rectal bleeding from colorectal cancer and other serious digestive diseases.Also, call your doctor if you have severe pain or itching from hemorrhoids, especially if this interferes with your ability to perform your job comfortably.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 28, 2009
    • 07:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have these symptoms you both describe!! Have either of you ever figured out the cause? My symptoms started after treatment with anitbiotics. Did either of your symptoms start soon after taking antibiotics?Thanks for any infoI have the same problem and it started after after a course of antibiotics. I have had the for three years now. I have had two colonoscopies and other stool tests and they have revealed no abnormalities. I have also had a wide range of probiotics and fibre supplements which have not helped to any great degree. Has anyone with a post antibiotic onset had any luck getting rid of this??Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 13, 2009
    • 03:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same problem and it started after after a course of antibiotics. I have had the for three years now. I have had two colonoscopies and other stool tests and they have revealed no abnormalities. I have also had a wide range of probiotics and fibre supplements which have not helped to any great degree. Has anyone with a post antibiotic onset had any luck getting rid of this??Any comments would be greatly appreciated.I have had the same symptoms' for 4 to 5 years now. I have been to several doctors over this issue--and have had a colonoscopy-and everything was all clear--along with other tests they gave me. A watery anal fluid that causes unbelievable irritating itching. I went to my NP at my doctors office recently and she put me on probiotics--which seems to help. She wants me on the more expensive ones you get at the specialty vitamin stores--that normally are refrigerated. She explained to me as we get older we lose the good bacteria in our systems--that fight off the bad.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi all i have this prob to i found this info on hemorrhoids and bugga me i think this is what we have hope this helps Cheers HiThank you very much, this pretty much describes and solves all issues, and all sensible. My diet is very good, grow my own veg, have a very active life (gardener) and a very regular bowel routine. However, i am always gassy (lucky i have an outdoor job!!) and it is after the gassiness that i leak. Sandwiches always contain lots of fresh greens and the gas start within a couple of hours. I shall keep monitring! And back off sugar. The dairy does not seem to have the slightest effect though, and I have unhomogenised milk in my muesli daily. As well as a daily probiotic. Stress is the main catalyst.Thanks again!
    Bushvark 1 Replies
    • October 8, 2013
    • 11:27 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement