Discussions By Condition: Medical Errors

misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder 1.

Posted In: Medical Errors 75 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • March 18, 2007
  • 03:51 PM

Hi.

I was misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder. My "onset" came after being given an ssri (paxil) for a "depression". After which I had my first "mania" and was hospitalized. There they diagnosed me with bipolar disorder 1 and gave me moodstabilizers. Over the course of 6 years I was hospitalized auite a number of times for depression and "mania". I was on many different moodstabilizers, anti-depressants, benzodiasipes and anti-psychotics.

I was told if I stopped taking these I could worsen my life and perhaps become suicidal. Funny thing was when I stopped taking them I did feel worse. I would stop periodically for up to three months and would always resume a medication after that.

I had to stop taking medications because the nausia was so severe that I started just bringing them up. I stopped all medications against the advice of every doctor. After all, it's part of being bipolar to want to not take medications! For the first few months I was still convinced I suffered from bipolar, but was still determined to not take medications. Once any doctor asked if I was taking medications and I told them "yes, lithium", I was treated like a mentally unstable person - even if I was very stable. Funny thing.

Six months went be and I was doing very well not on medications. Amazingly. A medical miracle. It's been 2 years and I have had 0 depressive episodes and 0 manic episodes and am on no psychotropic medications. It took atleast 8 months to feel how I remember feeling before taking any medications at all. My focus came back and my overall ability to think and function. Interesting. My family members are blown away. People are very shocked at this "recovery".

Six years of my life. I lost friends, relationships... I left me degree behind (that I got a scholarship for by the way). In the past two years since I haven't been taking psychotropic medication my entire life has turned over for the better and I have been constantly stable and high functioning. My largest problem is still dealing with the stigma, which really is a societal problem and not one to do with misdiagnosis. I feel like I was robbed of several years.

I was determined to never be able to work again and never be able to function within society. Currently, I have graduated at the top of my class in not on medications and hold a job considered to be one of the most caotic and stressful jobs. A job I could not have with any of the bipolar symtoms I lived with daily while on medications.

I am writing this here because I rarely hear of research being done on the side effects of psychotropic medications that can mimic and cause a "client"/ patient to exhibit all the behaviors of the mental illness they are being prescribed medications for. I had it all. Obsessive-excited money spending, racing thoughts, suicidal depression, pressured speech, extremely high sex drive - no sex drive, poor judgement.... None of these symptoms appeared before the medication and in the two years after medications... nothing.
Really, nothing at all.

All anti-depressants made me suicidal, until finally psychiatrists agreed I should never take them. After that I was only on moodstabilizers.

I'm sure many people have been helped by medications. I believed I was... No doubt some are. I am not a doctor.

I was told on one other site that I wrote on that this information could persuade people to stop taking medications and put themselves in danger. That's what was said to one other person who had a similar experience. So, if we are not supposed to ever talk about it won't all the victims of the pharmaceudical companies be silenced? That sounds incredibly convenient.

I am not the only person I know of to have experienced this which leads me to believe that with a growing pharmaceudical industry this one day will be a larger problem.

-K

Reply Flag this Discussion

75 Replies:

• My experience with that was similar, antidepressants make me insane, literally psychotic. The difference with me is that it was really a bad case of AD/HD and I was 'gifted' on top of that. My mother is a psychiatrist, I can also say that to diagnose her it would look like Borderline Personality Disorder and Munchausen by Proxy. I was never taught to behave and until I had enough sense to apply the trauma frame of reference to myself, I was a sociopath.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • It was interesting to read your post because my daughter's experience was very similar to yours.When my daughter was 14 she went to see a therapist for depression. After talking to her for 45 minutes she diagnosed her with bipolar II. She then saw a psychiatrist for about 10 minutes, he agreed with the diagnosis and put her on Zyprexa. Her condition immediately deteriorated.Over the next 2 1/2 years she saw 3 psychiatrists and was put on 19 different medications(in many different combinations). Her condition slowly declined.She first tried going off medication too quickly. The horrible withdrawl symptoms forced her back on them. The second time she went slower. Two weeks after her last pill she told me for the first time in 2 1/2 years she didn't feel depressed.Her father and I never agreed with the diagnosis. We had no family history of it and we never saw any behavior that resembled mania or hypomania until after she was put on medication. As we saw her decline we begged the psychiatrists to take her off medication. They said we were in denial and the reason why we hadn't seen manic symptoms before was because they caught her just in time. For the first time as a parent I allowed someone to talk me out of what I felt was right for my child. That is something I will have to always live with.The problems my daughter now has to live with are very serious. The medica-tions caused her to gain 75 lbs. That triggered the emergence of PCOS and insulin resistance. She will very likely have fertility problems as an adult. She is already having to take medication to prevent type II diabetes from devel-oping. She had to drop out of school after 9th grade because her short term memory was wiped out making it impossible to learn.Before getting "treatment" she was an A student and in the GATE program at school. She planned on becoming an adolescent psychologist. Now the state won't even let her get her GED until she's 18. It breaks my heart when after seeing her brother graduate from college then seeing her sister get her acce-ptance letter from the University of Washington she turned to me and said,"None of that is going to happen to me, is it Mom?"I believe most of it can happen, it is just going to be much,much harder to achieve.I am thankful for one thing, that is that my daughter can remember very little of those 2 1/2 years. I will never be able to forget them. It was ***l. We had to bring her to the ER more times than I can count, she was hospitilized 5 times, she attempted suicide once, she ran away from home, started using street drugs,etc. Her emotions were so out of control that she would cry for hours and hours or would fly into screaming rages over the smallest things.Every bit of those behaviors stopped entirely after she stopped taking the medications.She told me the other day that she regrets only one thing in her life, she regrets that she ever asked for help. Here is a list of the medications she was put on:zyprexa,lithium,risperdole,prozac,wellbutrin,klonopin,depacote,lamictal,trileptal,effexor,abilify,topomax,trazadone,geodon,adderall,seroquel,celexa, and buspar.
  • It's true what you're all saying. The FDA shouldn't even approve drugs that create the illness you're trying to rid.Here is a good website made by someone who had a similar thing occur & it offers some education as well:http://psychiatricmisdiagnosis.ebloggy.com/I feel it's excellent that all of you are speaking up on the web about this-bravo!
  • What can you do to get the misdiagnoses off your medical record, or at least listed as a misdiagnoses? Has anyone else experienced an increase in insurance premiums due to this incorrect diagnosis?
  • I too was wrongly 'diagnosed' with 'bipolar disorder'. When I was 19 I took some ecstasy, it was fun, I seemed to return to normal. A few days later, I was awoken by my mother in the middle of the night. A sudden death in the family had occured. My brain was overloaded just trying to metabolize its first ever dose of hard drugs just days before, now it's job was to deal with the stress of watching a loved one slowly die over the course of one full day.I had a drug induced psychosis as a result. Unfortunately, our society hands extraordinary power to one man alone, the shrink who saw me a few days later after my family became worried after I had not slept.A drug test came up positive, but it was IGNORED. I am an atheist and had viewed scientists as the highest of the high minded people in the world, I had so much trust and respect for this 'man of science' in front of me, a confused stressed to the max 19 year old, and he told me I had a genetic brain defect, and that I would need to take pills for the rest of my life. I had no history of mental illness. Nor did anyone in my family.I trusted them. Over the next five years my identity was crushed. I assumed the identity they handed me in place of my shattered life, that of a walking birth defect. The stigma nearly killed me. I put on 20 kilos and was in and out of hospitals, accumulated thousands in debt as I languished and failed college.Through the drugged out haze, the ultimate punishment for one night of ecstasy, I eventually learned through the web, after years of reading on and off, through the haze, that psychiatry IS a pseudoscience.There can be no doubt that there is some biological basis for psychosis. I do not doubt this. What I want the world to know however is this... the brain is the most complicated organ in the universe. There is no objective biomarker test for alleged chemical imbalance I was supposed to have had. If I died and you cut my brain open you could pinpoint the chemicals that were missing, and furthermore psychiatry is yet to even discover every chemical.Psychiatry has not a had a significant development since Thorazine in the 50s, every sedated, brain function perturbing drug they have ever come up with is just a slight variation on that random discovery.My mind and soul and very identity as a human being were raped for five long years. The only reason I am alive today is because I live in the internet age and was able to learn of the stories of others like me, in countries across the western world. If this had happened to me in the pre internet age I would be dead or disabled for life.At the five year mark, at 24 years of age, I took the plunge and stopped waking up to a self administered chemical lobotomy. Ten months later I have never felt more pure, more human, or more dignified.I still cannot type the word 'dignity' without a tear coming to my eye however, as that is crux of it. Labelling people for life, flinging them into a society where discriminating against those who have mental health involvement is the last accepted prejudice, and adding to that giving them drugs that make them get the stigma of a fat person, is the most soul destroying prison of mind rape you could imagine. Psychiatric diagnosis is the most misunderstood application of pure and raw power, far reaching consequences, I cannot own a gun, nor serve my country in high office and be trusted with top secret classified intelligence, the list goes on. And all for what, having a high sensitivity to amphetamines, and having the bad luck of getting my face put in front of ONE man who with the stroke of a pen, changed my life forever.The pen had a Zyprexa logo on it by the way, so it shows who is really running the show, Big Pharma. Much is said about Scientology and the Antipsychiatry movement being nutcases speaking out against psychiatry. I agree we could have saner looking advocates. The sad truth is we take money and information dissemination where we can get it, even if it is from some alien believing Tom Cruise nutjob. The man's heart was in the right place when he spoke out. And anyone who says it's dangerous to hear about people who have broken free from sanctioned mind rape and ditched the meds is a god ***n fool. Millions are disabled worldwide by psychiatry every decade.Hundreds of thousands are in the ground.Now I agree there is something biological going on when I went psychotic after the death and the amphetamines, but I also KNOW, in my heart and my head, that psychiatry doesn't know what happened. It is throwing darts at a board, maybe in 800 years they will know how to accurately target chemicals and heal people. But right now, for a problem that requires I would imagine laser precision, they are using a musket shotgun on people's entire systems, not just their brains. To walk the streets of the town where you once had dignity, to stand among your friends' frivolity on a Saturday night, if you are luck to keep your friends, and to be the whole time TRAPPED in a drug haze, and false idea of who you are, ie a perfectly healthy man who evolved for millions of years thiking he is a worthless pathetic walking birth defect who should not have kids. Its obscene.I was told by a man of 'science' that I trusted with my life and identity as a man in this world, I was told, that I would risking my future son going insane and killing somebody should I dare have kids. Nazi Eugenics anyone?I was told to EXPECT to go insane again at ANY TIME. Fancy deciding on a career young man starting out in life? What do you chose? Do you feel a sense of permanence? Why not eat that Quarter Pounder then and make yourself fatter than the drugs made you because NOW youre depressed. You have no future. Why not take ecstasy AGAIN and go insane AGAIN and get stripped naked, drugged with a needle in the buttock, held down by three men when you are not even resisting, and locked in a solitary confinement cell when you have committed no crime?Mad is the story I tell.Say no to drugs kids.Of ALL kinds.
  • You said exactly what am feeling. No dignity, life ruined or marred - people judging and looking at your through the 'bipolar' label when it may not even be that. I've felt violated, my right to privacy trampled on because 'they' have the right to 'watch me'... Thank you for posting this. It helps to put into words what I've been feeling and no one to turn to to talk about this.I too was wrongly 'diagnosed' with 'bipolar disorder'. When I was 19 I took some ecstasy, it was fun, I seemed to return to normal. A few days later, I was awoken by my mother in the middle of the night. A sudden death in the family had occured. My brain was overloaded just trying to metabolize its first ever dose of hard drugs just days before, now it's job was to deal with the stress of watching a loved one slowly die over the course of one full day.I had a drug induced psychosis as a result. Unfortunately, our society hands extraordinary power to one man alone, the shrink who saw me a few days later after my family became worried after I had not slept.A drug test came up positive, but it was IGNORED. I am an atheist and had viewed scientists as the highest of the high minded people in the world, I had so much trust and respect for this 'man of science' in front of me, a confused stressed to the max 19 year old, and he told me I had a genetic brain defect, and that I would need to take pills for the rest of my life. I had no history of mental illness. Nor did anyone in my family.I trusted them. Over the next five years my identity was crushed. I assumed the identity they handed me in place of my shattered life, that of a walking birth defect. The stigma nearly killed me. I put on 20 kilos and was in and out of hospitals, accumulated thousands in debt as I languished and failed college.Through the drugged out haze, the ultimate punishment for one night of ecstasy, I eventually learned through the web, after years of reading on and off, through the haze, that psychiatry IS a pseudoscience.There can be no doubt that there is some biological basis for psychosis. I do not doubt this. What I want the world to know however is this... the brain is the most complicated organ in the universe. There is no objective biomarker test for alleged chemical imbalance I was supposed to have had. If I died and you cut my brain open you could pinpoint the chemicals that were missing, and furthermore psychiatry is yet to even discover every chemical.Psychiatry has not a had a significant development since Thorazine in the 50s, every sedated, brain function perturbing drug they have ever come up with is just a slight variation on that random discovery.My mind and soul and very identity as a human being were raped for five long years. The only reason I am alive today is because I live in the internet age and was able to learn of the stories of others like me, in countries across the western world. If this had happened to me in the pre internet age I would be dead or disabled for life.At the five year mark, at 24 years of age, I took the plunge and stopped waking up to a self administered chemical lobotomy. Ten months later I have never felt more pure, more human, or more dignified.I still cannot type the word 'dignity' without a tear coming to my eye however, as that is crux of it. Labelling people for life, flinging them into a society where discriminating against those who have mental health involvement is the last accepted prejudice, and adding to that giving them drugs that make them get the stigma of a fat person, is the most soul destroying prison of mind rape you could imagine. Psychiatric diagnosis is the most misunderstood application of pure and raw power, far reaching consequences, I cannot own a gun, nor serve my country in high office and be trusted with top secret classified intelligence, the list goes on. And all for what, having a high sensitivity to amphetamines, and having the bad luck of getting my face put in front of ONE man who with the stroke of a pen, changed my life forever.The pen had a Zyprexa logo on it by the way, so it shows who is really running the show, Big Pharma. Much is said about Scientology and the Antipsychiatry movement being nutcases speaking out against psychiatry. I agree we could have saner looking advocates. The sad truth is we take money and information dissemination where we can get it, even if it is from some alien believing Tom Cruise nutjob. The man's heart was in the right place when he spoke out. And anyone who says it's dangerous to hear about people who have broken free from sanctioned mind rape and ditched the meds is a god ***n fool. Millions are disabled worldwide by psychiatry every decade.Hundreds of thousands are in the ground.Now I agree there is something biological going on when I went psychotic after the death and the amphetamines, but I also KNOW, in my heart and my head, that psychiatry doesn't know what happened. It is throwing darts at a board, maybe in 800 years they will know how to accurately target chemicals and heal people. But right now, for a problem that requires I would imagine laser precision, they are using a musket shotgun on people's entire systems, not just their brains. To walk the streets of the town where you once had dignity, to stand among your friends' frivolity on a Saturday night, if you are luck to keep your friends, and to be the whole time TRAPPED in a drug haze, and false idea of who you are, ie a perfectly healthy man who evolved for millions of years thiking he is a worthless pathetic walking birth defect who should not have kids. Its obscene.I was told by a man of 'science' that I trusted with my life and identity as a man in this world, I was told, that I would risking my future son going insane and killing somebody should I dare have kids. Nazi Eugenics anyone?I was told to EXPECT to go insane again at ANY TIME. Fancy deciding on a career young man starting out in life? What do you chose? Do you feel a sense of permanence? Why not eat that Quarter Pounder then and make yourself fatter than the drugs made you because NOW youre depressed. You have no future. Why not take ecstasy AGAIN and go insane AGAIN and get stripped naked, drugged with a needle in the buttock, held down by three men when you are not even resisting, and locked in a solitary confinement cell when you have committed no crime?Mad is the story I tell.Say no to drugs kids.Of ALL kinds.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 15, 2007
    • 06:49 AM
    Flag this Response
  • In 1989 after being clean and sober for a year I was diagnosed as bipolar. I was put on lithium and trazadone as my depression was the main problem. My periods of severe depression reoccured during the years. In 2000 I began to have problems with my feet swelling, I thought it was a reaction to Celebrex and finally saw a doctor about it. I went to a kidney specialist and found I had interstitial nephritiis. The doctor said I would probably die. After massive doses of steroids my kidneys some what recovered. I have 50% kidney loss due to lithium and celebrex. During this time I couldn't keep a job longer than two years. I had frequent bouts with depression. Saw seversal doctors who just prescribed different antideppressants and mood stabilizer. In 2007 my depression reached the point that I was suicidal. I checked myself into a hospital where a new psychiatrist diagnosed me as major depression. I went off mood stabilizers for the first time in 19 years. I had always had a hard time expressing feelings, now I began to feel for the first time. It has been 6 months, I have had no depression and am learning to cope. I had a lot of years taken away by my misdiagnosis.
    royboy1 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I too was diagnosed as being bi-polar. In actuality, I was a crime victim responding to the stress of continuous harrassement by a very clever stalker. When I was medicated, that was when I began to display true symptoms of mental illness; so now I'm no longer viewed as bi-polar, but that I'm clearly psychotic. When I didn't respond favorably to THAT medicinal treatment, I was diagnosed as being schitzophrenic.Unfortunately, I've come to realize that the very act of being in a psychiatrist's office is clearly indicative that you have a mental illness of some sort, they just need to find it (I hope my sarcarsm is coming across clearly).There are people who clearly need help, but be aware that there are mental health professionals who insist that everyone they see is a psychiatric patient. I'm sure I don't need to explain how the mis-diagnosis has caused a great number of problems when I seek medical care. Such a diagnosis renders your credibility as a valid patient useless.
  • I'm sorry you all went through horrible misdiagnoses and were labeled as a result.There is a condition which can mimic and even temporarily cause bipolar-like symptoms - thyroid disease. People can and have been erroneously treated for bipolar disorder when in reality they had a treatable disease which alleviates the bipolar-like symptoms. And Lithium can actually make thyroid disease worse.
  • Beware of nasal steroids: I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder after taking a nasal steroid on top of Prozac...made me manic and psychotic. No one would listen to me. I was way too old for a "new" bipolar diagnosis (55).After being treated with Zyprexa and an antidepressant, I finally quit the medications, took 7 months to recover that, but have NEVER been manic again, nor have I ever taken a mood stabalizer. Certainly I have suffered from depression, particularly after the Bipolar Disorder diagnosis. I have learned through this forum that I have probably suffered from B12 deficiency for years, too, which can cause mental problems.I lost a career, which was the happiest of my life. Bipolar Disorder is complicated; so sorry for the wrong diagnoses and years of life lost.
    marionstar 228 Replies
    • August 19, 2008
    • 03:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I recently moved, got on my new insurance at work, and haven't known whether to go to a pcp or psychiatrist for my monthly Adderall script. I randomly chose a name, met my new pcp, and thought I liked her... On the second visit, she told me that I did not have ADD, but was Bipolar. She still gave me my script for Adderall but added 25mg of Lamictal a day to it. This all happened last Thursday.A little about myself: 24 year old female, graduated college December 07, work 40+ hours a week, live on my own. I'm happy and enjoying life! I take 20mg of Adderall a day. I've been on this exact script for the past 4 years (college). I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 18 and took Concerta the first 2 years. I am thrilled that my dose of Adderall still does the trick. I am completely horrified by this new diagnosis. I set up an appointment with a new pcp. Should I go to a psychiatrist and get a 2nd opinion? Where do I go from here? Tell the next doc what this last one said? Or just act like it never happened? Thanks!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 18, 2008
    • 02:03 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hi.I was misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder. My "onset" came after being given an ssri (paxil) for a "depression". After which I had my first "mania" and was hospitalized. There they diagnosed me with bipolar disorder 1 and gave me moodstabilizers. Over the course of 6 years I was hospitalized auite a number of times for depression and "mania". I was on many different moodstabilizers, anti-depressants, benzodiasipes and anti-psychotics. I was told if I stopped taking these I could worsen my life and perhaps become suicidal. Funny thing was when I stopped taking them I did feel worse. I would stop periodically for up to three months and would always resume a medication after that. I had to stop taking medications because the nausia was so severe that I started just bringing them up. I stopped all medications against the advice of every doctor. After all, it's part of being bipolar to want to not take medications! For the first few months I was still convinced I suffered from bipolar, but was still determined to not take medications. Once any doctor asked if I was taking medications and I told them "yes, lithium", I was treated like a mentally unstable person - even if I was very stable. Funny thing. Six months went be and I was doing very well not on medications. Amazingly. A medical miracle. It's been 2 years and I have had 0 depressive episodes and 0 manic episodes and am on no psychotropic medications. It took atleast 8 months to feel how I remember feeling before taking any medications at all. My focus came back and my overall ability to think and function. Interesting. My family members are blown away. People are very shocked at this "recovery".Six years of my life. I lost friends, relationships... I left me degree behind (that I got a scholarship for by the way). In the past two years since I haven't been taking psychotropic medication my entire life has turned over for the better and I have been constantly stable and high functioning. My largest problem is still dealing with the stigma, which really is a societal problem and not one to do with misdiagnosis. I feel like I was robbed of several years.I was determined to never be able to work again and never be able to function within society. Currently, I have graduated at the top of my class in not on medications and hold a job considered to be one of the most caotic and stressful jobs. A job I could not have with any of the bipolar symtoms I lived with daily while on medications. I am writing this here because I rarely hear of research being done on the side effects of psychotropic medications that can mimic and cause a "client"/ patient to exhibit all the behaviors of the mental illness they are being prescribed medications for. I had it all. Obsessive-excited money spending, racing thoughts, suicidal depression, pressured speech, extremely high sex drive - no sex drive, poor judgement.... None of these symptoms appeared before the medication and in the two years after medications... nothing. Really, nothing at all. All anti-depressants made me suicidal, until finally psychiatrists agreed I should never take them. After that I was only on moodstabilizers. I'm sure many people have been helped by medications. I believed I was... No doubt some are. I am not a doctor. I was told on one other site that I wrote on that this information could persuade people to stop taking medications and put themselves in danger. That's what was said to one other person who had a similar experience. So, if we are not supposed to ever talk about it won't all the victims of the pharmaceudical companies be silenced? That sounds incredibly convenient. I am not the only person I know of to have experienced this which leads me to believe that with a growing pharmaceudical industry this one day will be a larger problem. -KHi -K, if you read this please contact me because I need to talk to you.My email is JDatto@aol.commy websites are www.bipolarbeware.comwww.myspace.com/drjeffmdphdthanks, I look forward to talk to you, and if anyone else has been misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder please contact me as well. Sincerely,Jeff
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 24, 2008
    • 07:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My dad was diagnosed with bipolar they put him in a phycriatric unit where they scrambled his brains on various drugs to the point where he could barely function and not sleep eat or think properly. They kept saying they had to 'tweak' the drugs to find the right one to suit him! These so called proffesionals have no idea what they are doing with regard to drugs for bipolar I've seen the evidence with my own eyes they broke my dad who is now in a nursing home and because of their messing about with different drugs he also has dementia. I believe in the age we live at the moment doctors know little about mental health but hopefully for our kids it will be different.
    maggiemay 68 Replies
    • November 30, 2008
    • 11:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am both sad & baffled by this discussion. I feel terrible for what has happened to all of your stories that I read. The crazy thing is...I do have Bipolar and now that I am on the right meds, they are doing exactly what they are supposed to. BUT..YOU KNOW WHAT REALLY SUX??? It took 13 years, 6 psychiatrists, 3 psychologists, 3 marriage counselors, 5 mental hospitals, a destroyed career and a broken marriage for someone to finally say "you know what...I think you may be Bipolar?" I had every @#$%& symptom in the book except rapid speech. How can they diagnose a 14 yerar old girl in 45 minutes and not diagnose me for 12 years? I swear I am going back to school and do something about this!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 19, 2008
    • 07:03 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, i just wanted to add my voice to the chorus here. I too was misdiagnosed as being "bipolar" after having a kindling reaction (adverse reaction to a AD which was previously tolerated) to Celexa. Funny thing was not only did i have mood swings, but urges to blink and make chewing movements, suicidal URGES as opposed to thoughts, violent thoughts, heaviness in my arms and legs, restlessness, hallucinations (i knew better than to tell a doctor that one), slowed thought patterns and the definitive sign of a drug reaction--dark tarry stools. Luckily (or unluckily, since i bought in to the system) i studied psychology prior to the reaction, so i knew the likelihood was nil that i was bipolar, having been an atypical depressive on and off throughout my life. Eventually I figured out it was Celexa causing the problem (and so did the psychiatrist.) I was abruptly discontinued from it which caused more problems, and then doped up with so many drugs that now, at 33, I have brain damage. These drugs are potent and can and do cause irreversible problems, and they do not belong on the market. Unregistered, I wonder if you would consider posting your story on www.paxilprogress.org . The site is dedicated to getting people off of their medication in a slow, safe way. I am sure the members there would appreciate hearing a success story.Jenny
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 15, 2009
    • 02:23 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I KNEW this was one of the most highest misdiagnoses of all illnesses!I, too, was misdiagnosed with Bipolar Disorder after taking myself to a hospital for highly suicidal thoughts and had made a plan - went just to save myself from myself.After 15 minutes with the appointed Psychiatrist I was diagnosed as Bipolar, put on at least 6 meds a couple times a day. Stayed 3 weeks in the hospital, outpatient for a few months. Couldn't go back to work because the high doses of medication made my mind and body non-functional.Started going to the Psychologist that worked with the Psychiatrist (2-doctor office) and within 1.5 months, that Psychologist was at my house once per week and we were sexually active (I was numb, agoraphobic by this time and counted on his friendship exclusively in my state of mind), and same would happen at his office. Two years I was non-functional in body or mind - did not work. (I have worked since I was 12 - every year - it shows on my SS).I looked back at one point and realized I had been severely depressed, no mania, so I did some research on the Internet (barely), but found that a Bipolar taking just antidepressants or a severely deppressed person (me, at that time, along with PTSD) taking bipolar medication is extremely dangerous and causes all sorts of wild symptoms. I DID have mania on the bipolar meds which I hadn't had before, I started rocking, I started hitting myself - I was in a sexual relation with the stupid Psychologist who I thought was my real friend at the time.Anyways, I filed a lawsuit after slowly taking myself off the medications (except the anti-anxiety and small dose of depression med) and my mind became clearer and clearer - it was such a freeing feeling - I felt in control again. I was way more anxious than I had been before, the depression was under control.In the end, because I was suing both the Psychiatrist for the misdiagnosis and the Psychologist for Sexual Battery, among many other things (how he lied so blatantly in his deposition - it hurt tremendously, but really clarified what kind of a person he was), the judge wanted to break it into two 3-4 week trials (each). They wanted to mediate and because i couldn'td be away from work for the approximately 2 months of two trials, I went ahead and, after a 10 hour mediation, settled for a very large sum - I would have prefered going to trial, but my life had gone on and I was working again and they would not have allowed me to be off work for 2 months for these trials. (Oh, the Psychologist also had a formal Accusation filed against him by the Attorney General's office after I filed my Complaint with the Medical Board (which I did before even considering suing).Bipolar misdiagnoses has run rampant. I'm appalled at the Psychiatric/Psychology industry. The next Psychiatrist I saw I found out had an Accusation filed against him for boundary violations - he lied to me and said there wasn't an accusation even filed - I saw that there was. The NEXT Psychiatrist who I thought was very level-headed ended up shooting his wife and 7 year old child. I've moved forward and live in gratefulness to God every single day of my life now. I was in a very dark place, burned like the Phoenix, but chose to rise again by asking for God's help. I had abandoned him during those dark days and then begged for his mercy and life is GOOD now. I have residual problems from all that medication for those 2.5 or so years, like short-term-memory-loss (big-time) among other things, but I still go on and live in gratefulness every day, all day (except "that time of the month" sometimes - lol).My final statement would be to not take any Bipolar medications until you have been examined for at least a few months by a Psychiatrist. Make sure it's not an environmental thing, or severe depression only, etc.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 20, 2009
    • 01:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I was "diagnosed" with bipolar when I was about 12. About 4 years later, another doctor had said that I was misdiagnosed. I'm pretty sure I'm not bipolar and that it was a just a case of anger manangement issues. Now I'm 23 and trying to join the military and they say I may not be able to join because I was misdiagnosed. I don't see how the word of one doctor could ruin my plans for a bigger and better future. I'm sure if I had bi polar I would still have it and I haven't even taken medication for it. I guess the first doctor just didnt understand. Also, I think I a doctor, who has probably 30 years or more in the field, would be more credible than a doctor who may not even have a decades worth of expierence. I typed in "misdiagnosed with" in my google search box, and "misdiagnosed with bipolar" was the 3rd in the list when you get an automatic search drop box. Hmmmm. Sounds like a problem to me. Too many doctors, wanting money and a quick diagnosis! Someone should look into this.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 5, 2009
    • 01:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Could I get more people to chime in here with their experiences, and recovery, from being misdiagnosed Bipolar II?I am in a world of crap right now, trying to pick up the pieces of my life after actions I took while being on Lamictal and Prozac nearly destroyed me. I was diagnosed Bipolar II by a psychiatrist whom had seen me for maybe 45 minutes or so. In years prior I was diagnosed with Major Depression and was on many different anti-depressants. A couple months after starting the new drugs, I started doing unspeakable, life-changing things that continue to haunt me in several different ways to this day, and the battle to reclaim my life is ongoing. I did life-destroying things that I have very vague memory of now. For months, I did these things, and now when I try hard to think about it and remember what happened, my memory is only in tiny bits and fragments, and feels very "3d person"; like I observed doing all these things instead of actually doing them myself. Very dissociated. I did things that were very much out of character for me, but are linked to childhood trauma. Anyway, I did all of these things while on these drugs. At one point, I looked in the mirror and felt I didn't even know who I was, and nearly committed suicide. I was so lost that when the shrink asked how things were going I would say "fine."After that haze, somewhere in there I knew I was going to die if I continued down that path and managed to quit the destructive behavior. Through willpower or God, I stopped and a few months later quit the drugs. Since then, I've found a counselor and am getting therapy for PTSD, and she is actually HELPING me instead of medicating me, and I haven't done another negative life-altering thing since; I only did bad things while on the meds and have been on the upswing ever since. My current therapist does not believe I am Bipolar.Has anyone else had a similar experience with these drugs or the combo? I can't imagine that if you DON'T have Bipolar disorder, that these wouldn't somehow screw with your brain and, indeed, perhaps make you behave in the same fashion as someone who actually did it.Insight is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    NotBipolar 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am finding my bipolar disorder I diagnosis. I only have the mania or the depression symptoms when I am under EXTREME stress. My doctor tells me that if I have bipolar disorder I should have the symptoms all the time but since I don't it might be something else. Now I just have to wait and see.
  • What can you do to get the misdiagnoses off your medical record, or at least listed as a misdiagnoses? Has anyone else experienced an increase in insurance premiums due to this incorrect diagnosis? I feel I was misdiagnosed with bipolar 25 years ago after dropping out of school my freshman year. I feel what I had was a situational depression. I spent years being treated with various drugs and talk therapy. I haven't taken any meds for years, and my mother just died at Christmas which should have resulted in a depressive episode. It didn't. My problem now is that I can't get health insurance unless I have a group policy. I'm anxious to know if there is a way to get rediagnosed so that I can have this Scarlett Letter off my record, and get normal health insurance quotes like others who suffer normal depressive episodes. My life would be so much easier and less expensive if I could somehow find a way to be rediagnosed as normal depression occasionally.Thanks for any input.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement