Discussions By Condition: Other Conditions

Gross White Lumps Coming Out of Tonsils

Posted In: Other Conditions 6 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • March 17, 2007
  • 09:30 PM

Ok, ok. My GP once said that these "salty" tasting little white lumps were bits of food that had been trapped in throat tissue and then coated and released.

BUT I now wonder.

I recently learned that I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.

I had a period of about three years (15-18) when these lumps were more prevalent than at other times. Once, a lump about the size of a dime, which had a distinct wave pattern to it, came out of my throat.

The lumps hide behind my tonsils and are very annoying until they are released. I should also mention that as a child, I was in the hospital so often for Strept and Ear infections that they knew me on a first-name basis.

Is there an immunological connection here that might have been missed? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks...

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• I have been experiencing the same thing lately. I have seen a doctor but I don't really think he knew what it was. He said it was just dried white blood cells because the tonsils are part of the immune system. Have you had any luck getting the right diagnosis?also I have had few ear or throat aches throughout my life, so I don't think that has too much to do with it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 12, 2007
    • 09:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had the same thing for most of my life, and I am 50. I always thought the lumps were coming from the eustasion(sp?) tubes which lead into the throat from the ears, but my daughter's doctor insists that you can't see the tubes when you look at your throat, and I can see where these little white lumpy things form at the sides of my throat. I have taken them out with my finger before (kind of gross, but I was curious about them) and they are hard, lumpy, off-white, and smell like infection. Sometimes they break lose on their own and I suddenly feel them going down my throat. They are annoying and gross, but as far as I know they don't hurt anything. Are they a symptom of an illness? I have always wondered, but the doctors I asked about them don't seem to know.
    Sharon Kay 8 Replies
    • November 9, 2007
    • 09:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • They are tonsoliths/tonsiliths - I've seen it spelled both ways on the net and the latter makes more sense to me, but you can google either one and find more information. They are also known as tonsil stones.People who've had frequent strep infections and its associated blisters and pocks on the tonsils tend to get these little balls of plaque and its bacteria plus dried up mucus stuck in holes. If there's an overabundance of bacteria, they get bigger.They are extraordinarily stinky, and to the "salty" commenter, I would highly discourage you from chewing or tasting them.I'd had them showing up in my mouth repeatedly for about a month before I actually looked in my throat with a light and a mirror to see where they were embedded in my tonsils. And when I pressed on one with a q-tip, out it popped like a big nasty blackhead. Thoroughly disgusted, I asked a friend who happens to be both my doctor and a son of a dentist. He laughed, agreed they are pretty gross, but also fairly normal... just not so much in the frequency I was getting them.He gave me a brief summary of the info you see here with the official name so I could find more info on the net. He also wrote me a short antibiotic prescription, which worked wonders for me. I still get one from time to time -- maybe once a year if I'm sick -- but it's not an every other day thing like it was before.If you've got one stuck that's annoying you (sometimes they'd set off my gag reflex) you can try gargling with cider vinegar a few times a day - that tends to losen them up so they'll come out. You should also become a flossing / listerine vigilante for a while to help keep the plaque at bay. And, if they're still out of control, go see a good doctor -- they won't hurt your health too much (from what my dr. said) but they can definitely make your breath stink.Hoping it helps :-)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 26, 2007
    • 06:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • They are tonsoliths/tonsiliths - I've seen it spelled both ways on the net and the latter makes more sense to me, but you can google either one and find more information. They are also known as tonsil stones.People who've had frequent strep infections and its associated blisters and pocks on the tonsils tend to get these little balls of plaque and its bacteria plus dried up mucus stuck in holes. If there's an overabundance of bacteria, they get bigger.They are extraordinarily stinky, and to the "salty" commenter, I would highly discourage you from chewing or tasting them.I'd had them showing up in my mouth repeatedly for about a month before I actually looked in my throat with a light and a mirror to see where they were embedded in my tonsils. And when I pressed on one with a q-tip, out it popped like a big nasty blackhead. Thoroughly disgusted, I asked a friend who happens to be both my doctor and a son of a dentist. He laughed, agreed they are pretty gross, but also fairly normal... just not so much in the frequency I was getting them.He gave me a brief summary of the info you see here with the official name so I could find more info on the net. He also wrote me a short antibiotic prescription, which worked wonders for me. I still get one from time to time -- maybe once a year if I'm sick -- but it's not an every other day thing like it was before.If you've got one stuck that's annoying you (sometimes they'd set off my gag reflex) you can try gargling with cider vinegar a few times a day - that tends to losen them up so they'll come out. You should also become a flossing / listerine vigilante for a while to help keep the plaque at bay. And, if they're still out of control, go see a good doctor -- they won't hurt your health too much (from what my dr. said) but they can definitely make your breath stink.Hoping it helps :-)it's called tonsillar exudate
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 1, 2010
    • 10:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have these Tonsoliths as well and i have been fighting them for awhile, i have also had very large tonsils for some time now, i just wanted to let you know that in my research on them i have found that if a "stone" gets caught in a crypt for too long it can cause some issues and if left untreated can cause sepsis (septic shock) which is not good.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 1, 2011
    • 04:42 AM
    Flag this Response
  • They are tonsoliths/tonsiliths - I've seen it spelled both ways on the net and the latter makes more sense to me, but you can google either one and find more information. They are also known as tonsil stones.People who've had frequent strep infections and its associated blisters and pocks on the tonsils tend to get these little balls of plaque and its bacteria plus dried up mucus stuck in holes. If there's an overabundance of bacteria, they get bigger.They are extraordinarily stinky, and to the "salty" commenter, I would highly discourage you from chewing or tasting them.I'd had them showing up in my mouth repeatedly for about a month before I actually looked in my throat with a light and a mirror to see where they were embedded in my tonsils. And when I pressed on one with a q-tip, out it popped like a big nasty blackhead. Thoroughly disgusted, I asked a friend who happens to be both my doctor and a son of a dentist. He laughed, agreed they are pretty gross, but also fairly normal... just not so much in the frequency I was getting them.He gave me a brief summary of the info you see here with the official name so I could find more info on the net. He also wrote me a short antibiotic prescription, which worked wonders for me. I still get one from time to time -- maybe once a year if I'm sick -- but it's not an every other day thing like it was before.If you've got one stuck that's annoying you (sometimes they'd set off my gag reflex) you can try gargling with cider vinegar a few times a day - that tends to losen them up so they'll come out. You should also become a flossing / listerine vigilante for a while to help keep the plaque at bay. And, if they're still out of control, go see a good doctor -- they won't hurt your health too much (from what my dr. said) but they can definitely make your breath stink.Hoping it helps :-)Ive had mine all my life and they show up in both tonsils everyday and wont go away and ive been on antibiotics my whole life and becuz of that i am now allgergic no doctor has ever told me of tonsil stones and when i tell him of it he says there is no such thing which is stupid so im stuck with these and yes they do make your breath smell bad and you cant use mouth wash or anything to make it go away he smell smells like rotting meat or flesh and thats your tonsils smelling like that it sucks I hate it. So what state do you live in cuz i would love to go see your doctor or even maybe find a doctor who would take out my tonsils =)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement