Discussions By Condition: Other Conditions

Gross White Lumps Coming Out of Tonsils

Posted In: Other Conditions 18 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • March 17, 2007
  • 09:30 PM

Ok, ok. My GP once said that these "salty" tasting little white lumps were bits of food that had been trapped in throat tissue and then coated and released.

BUT I now wonder.

I recently learned that I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.

I had a period of about three years (15-18) when these lumps were more prevalent than at other times. Once, a lump about the size of a dime, which had a distinct wave pattern to it, came out of my throat.

The lumps hide behind my tonsils and are very annoying until they are released. I should also mention that as a child, I was in the hospital so often for Strept and Ear infections that they knew me on a first-name basis.

Is there an immunological connection here that might have been missed? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks...

Reply Flag this Discussion

18 Replies:

• Hi,I'm late here, but I think you might be talking about tonsilioliths (sp?) -- or tonsil stones.They're just white pieces of gunk that build up behind your tonsils.They smell really bad if you break them up because they are thought to be made up of food particles among other things.Hope that helps.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • hey, late here, but i get those too.i got this from some doctor siteThese things are called tonsilloliths ("tonsil stones"). You have described them perfectly. They are typically white or whitish-yellow, irregularly shaped, foul-smelling and usually smaller than a pea. The tissue lining the tonsils (called oral mucosa) is fairly sensitive, so people with this problem often report that they feel an irritation in the back of the throat and are able to pick these critters out of their tonsils. Like your skin, oral mucosa sheds continuously. The dead cells become incorporated in your saliva and then you swallow them. Yum! One more anatomical fact that you need to know: The surface of your tonsils is pockmarked with deep pits, appropriately called "crypts" (since dead stuff accumulates in these pits). Oral mucosa lines the crypts. As this mucosa sheds, normally the dead cells leave the crypts and are swallowed. In some unlucky people the dead cells accumulate and glom together to form hard little balls. All of this dead stuff makes great food for bacteria, and all kinds of bacteria normally colonize the mouth. Consequently, the tonsilloliths are ripe with bacteria. This accounts for the smell. The only sure-fire method for ridding yourself of this problem is to have your tonsils removed (tonsillectomy), but there are nonsurgical alternatives you should certainly pursue before you ask an ear, nose and throat surgeon (ENT) to take out your tonsils: You could try gargling frequently with warm saltwater (one teaspoon of table salt mixed with one pint of water). Gargle with about 1/4 cup of this mixture three times per day, after meals.You could also gargle with a mouthwash called Alkalol, which is essentially saltwater combined with a variety of natural aromatic extracts. Some people prefer Alkalol to plain saltwater. Most other commercial mouthwashes contain sugar or alcohol, which are pleasant-tasting but, in the long run, fairly irritating if used frequently.If you want a more aggressive technique than gargling for clearing out those nasty crypts, a doctor in Los Angeles, Murray Grossan, markets a water-jet device for "hosing down" the tonsils.Finally, antibiotics might help. In the hopes of avoiding tonsillectomy, I will often put my patient on a long (three- to four-week) course of antibiotics on the chance that this will allow the tonsils to "settle down" (become less inflamed). I must admit that antibiotics are not a very effective cure for this problem.If I had this problem, I would try all of these things before resorting to a tonsillectomy. You should also discuss your problem with an ENT, since he or she may have other suggestions to help eradicate these nasty critters, and could also give you information on what to expect from a tonsillectomy
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 7, 2009
    • 04:08 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Ok, ok. My GP once said that these "salty" tasting little white lumps were bits of food that had been trapped in throat tissue and then coated and released.BUT I now wonder.I recently learned that I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.I had a period of about three years (15-18) when these lumps were more prevalent than at other times. Once, a lump about the size of a dime, which had a distinct wave pattern to it, came out of my throat.The lumps hide behind my tonsils and are very annoying until they are released. I should also mention that as a child, I was in the hospital so often for Strept and Ear infections that they knew me on a first-name basis.Is there an immunological connection here that might have been missed? Has anyone else experienced this?Thanks...hi, i am 15, and experinced this too a few months ago. now i just sat down and found out that it was happening again! the first time i had this, i thought it was an infection coming out of a cut in my tonsil. (by the way, this only happens to my right tonsil.) when that happened i tried to find out what it was so i touched my tonsil. it had a strange sharp hard dot at the top, and the bottom had a dent or hole in the flesh. now that im looking at it again, my whole right tonsil looks raw and opened. it appears to be scarred and the sharp part from last time is still there, only now it is a black dot. so, i am now experincing the wierd white clumps along with a strangley damaged tonsil. (by the way i also had ear and throught infections when i was young)someone please help me understand and find a cure! the illness search websites wont help me!!!!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 29, 2009
    • 01:07 AM
    Flag this Response
  • im 17 and today when i was in class i felt something on the back of my throat, on my left tonsil. when i got home i took a nap and when i woke i looked in the mirror only to see a little white clump in on my tonsil. i used some mouthwash in hopes of washing it away but it didnt work. i used a q tip to see if i could pick it out. when i got it out it looked white and felt sort of tough. when i checked my tonsil again i noticed that their was more under the spot i had picked. so i began trying to clean the spot when i noticed that their seemed to be a hole in my tonsil that the white stuff is coming out. what is this white stuff that is coming out of my tonsil???
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 25, 2010
    • 00:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • yea i had this for a year how long do they last
  • im 17 and today when i was in class i felt something on the back of my throat, on my left tonsil. when i got home i took a nap and when i woke i looked in the mirror only to see a little white clump in on my tonsil. i used some mouthwash in hopes of washing it away but it didnt work. i used a q tip to see if i could pick it out. when i got it out it looked white and felt sort of tough. when i checked my tonsil again i noticed that their was more under the spot i had picked. so i began trying to clean the spot when i noticed that their seemed to be a hole in my tonsil that the white stuff is coming out. what is this white stuff that is coming out of my tonsil???I have the same problem, I'm 15 and this may sound gross but I noticed bobby pins work the best to get them out (as long as you sterilize the pin) because of the loop at the end it kinda works as a hook to get that crap out. It still annoys me like crazy though.
  • The sound quality is poor, but the file is quite small, used for recording short speech. CSI:NY Seasons 1-6 DVD BoxsetCSI:NY Seasons dvd box set
    sweet123 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • hey, late here, but i get those too.i got this from some doctor siteThese things are called tonsilloliths ("tonsil stones"). You have described them perfectly. They are typically white or whitish-yellow, irregularly shaped, foul-smelling and usually smaller than a pea. The tissue lining the tonsils (called oral mucosa) is fairly sensitive, so people with this problem often report that they feel an irritation in the back of the throat and are able to pick these critters out of their tonsils. Like your skin, oral mucosa sheds continuously. The dead cells become incorporated in your saliva and then you swallow them. Yum! One more anatomical fact that you need to know: The surface of your tonsils is pockmarked with deep pits, appropriately called "crypts" (since dead stuff accumulates in these pits). Oral mucosa lines the crypts. As this mucosa sheds, normally the dead cells leave the crypts and are swallowed. In some unlucky people the dead cells accumulate and glom together to form hard little balls. All of this dead stuff makes great food for bacteria, and all kinds of bacteria normally colonize the mouth. Consequently, the tonsilloliths are ripe with bacteria. This accounts for the smell. The only sure-fire method for ridding yourself of this problem is to have your tonsils removed (tonsillectomy), but there are nonsurgical alternatives you should certainly pursue before you ask an ear, nose and throat surgeon (ENT) to take out your tonsils: You could try gargling frequently with warm saltwater (one teaspoon of table salt mixed with one pint of water). Gargle with about 1/4 cup of this mixture three times per day, after meals.You could also gargle with a mouthwash called Alkalol, which is essentially saltwater combined with a variety of natural aromatic extracts. Some people prefer Alkalol to plain saltwater. Most other commercial mouthwashes contain sugar or alcohol, which are pleasant-tasting but, in the long run, fairly irritating if used frequently.If you want a more aggressive technique than gargling for clearing out those nasty crypts, a doctor in Los Angeles, Murray Grossan, markets a water-jet device for "hosing down" the tonsils.Finally, antibiotics might help. In the hopes of avoiding tonsillectomy, I will often put my patient on a long (three- to four-week) course of antibiotics on the chance that this will allow the tonsils to "settle down" (become less inflamed). I must admit that antibiotics are not a very effective cure for this problem.If I had this problem, I would try all of these things before resorting to a tonsillectomy. You should also discuss your problem with an ENT, since he or she may have other suggestions to help eradicate these nasty critters, and could also give you information on what to expect from a tonsillectomyI have tried all of these things and the doctors keep prescribing me penicillin and it goes away temporarly. My mom used to have this too and she dealt with it for 10 years or so until it went away. But I have had this problem now for like 3 years -.- the doctors will not take my tonsils out either.
  • I have tried all of these things and the doctors keep prescribing me penicillin and it goes away temporarly. My mom used to have this too and she dealt with it for 10 years or so until it went away. But I have had this problem now for like 3 years -.- the doctors will not take my tonsils out either.I have found that a plastic oral syringe is a great way to flush those lumps out. It has a curved tip that helps get back into those crevices. I had to order one online through Amazon.com since my pharmacy didn't have any.
    mmrevers 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Ok, ok. My GP once said that these "salty" tasting little white lumps were bits of food that had been trapped in throat tissue and then coated and released.BUT I now wonder.I recently learned that I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.I had a period of about three years (15-18) when these lumps were more prevalent than at other times. Once, a lump about the size of a dime, which had a distinct wave pattern to it, came out of my throat.The lumps hide behind my tonsils and are very annoying until they are released. I should also mention that as a child, I was in the hospital so often for Strept and Ear infections that they knew me on a first-name basis.Is there an immunological connection here that might have been missed? Has anyone else experienced this?Thanks...im having the same problem right now its really annoying me i got it the first time the other week and i worry to much i thought it could be harmful but now i know what the heck is going on i feel like its never going to go away, do most people get these white stuff also the wholes are scary it feels like i can see right through them haha,
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 25, 2010
    • 08:31 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same problem, I'm 15 and this may sound gross but I noticed bobby pins work the best to get them out (as long as you sterilize the pin) because of the loop at the end it kinda works as a hook to get that crap out. It still annoys me like crazy though.Haha bobby pins DO work hey! I was wondering if anyone else had figured that one out! They're brilliant, but if you bend them open and use the non-looped ends it can be a bit dangerous, sometimes a TINY bit of metal sticks out from the rubber tips and will cut you :( so only the loop end peoples!I've mentioned this to my doctor and she basically said "yeah that's what tonsils are for", which when you think about it is a good point. If you're getting this regularly, then you're getting infections regularly, and getting your tonsils out will be more damaging, because what will protect you from the infection? No tonsillectomies people, just be thankful your tonsils are doing their job! (Although it is really gross and annoying... :P)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 6, 2010
    • 02:20 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• i've had this infection b4 & i ended up having my tonsils out eventually after telling the doc i had tonsillitis more than 5 times within the same year. It was quite painfull after the op, waking up with sore a throat in the early hrs of the morn but i kept taking the antibiotics & after being signed off work for 3 wks i was fine. I would never go back on the decision i made to have them removed, i would say it was one of the best decisions i've ever made!! Hope this helped.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 29, 2010
    • 10:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hi, i am 15, and experinced this too a few months ago. now i just sat down and found out that it was happening again! the first time i had this, i thought it was an infection coming out of a cut in my tonsil. (by the way, this only happens to my right tonsil.) when that happened i tried to find out what it was so i touched my tonsil. it had a strange sharp hard dot at the top, and the bottom had a dent or hole in the flesh. now that im looking at it again, my whole right tonsil looks raw and opened. it appears to be scarred and the sharp part from last time is still there, only now it is a black dot. so, i am now experincing the wierd white clumps along with a strangley damaged tonsil. (by the way i also had ear and throught infections when i was young)someone please help me understand and find a cure! the illness search websites wont help me!!!!!!GAHH I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE!! except i dont have that sharp part...my righ tonsil looks all scared and scratched up and sometimes i get those nasty white clumps..i was afraid that tha scared tonsil may have been a throat infect or sumthing but it doesnt bug me..its just really scarry...does anyone know why my tonsil looks like that? oh and i get terrible ear infections...ever since i was little..it used to get so bad that my doctor actually told me to shower with earplugs so water wont get in and cause another infection...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 15, 2010
    • 05:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had all the exact symptoms from 15-18 I'm 18 now and hey just died down. I'm really considering to get my tonsils removed because when I get a cold, it's horrible.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 19, 2010
    • 04:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I've suffered with these for years. I use Q-tips to push them out. Use one to push on your tonsil and another one to scrap it out. They stick better to dry Q-tips. They do cause bad breath so I usually try to clean out my tonsils every week or so. I do notice more when I have a cold or congestion. I have found this method the best for removing all of them. Hope this helps!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 6, 2011
    • 07:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • yea i had this for a year how long do they lastyeah i have had it for 5 years so go see some one because they dont go away they may flare up then settle down but if not taken care of they will be back and your breath start to smell your food taste gross, i just now got to the point were i cant take it any more health care or not im going to go see some one and get them taken care of
  • im 17 and today when i was in class i felt something on the back of my throat, on my left tonsil. when i got home i took a nap and when i woke i looked in the mirror only to see a little white clump in on my tonsil. i used some mouthwash in hopes of washing it away but it didnt work. i used a q tip to see if i could pick it out. when i got it out it looked white and felt sort of tough. when i checked my tonsil again i noticed that their was more under the spot i had picked. so i began trying to clean the spot when i noticed that their seemed to be a hole in my tonsil that the white stuff is coming out. what is this white stuff that is coming out of my tonsil???I am also 17. I noticed my throat started to hurt about 2 almost 3 weeks ago. I looked at my tonsils and they were swollen and red. After about 1 week my right tonsil became less swollen and red. Then my left tonsil started getting really swollen and white. Yesterday I felt like something was stuck inside my tonsil so when I got home I poked around at both my tonsils. Once doing this I saw a whitish yellow lump inside my tonsil so I grabbed a q-tip and pushed the white lump out. It was about the size of a pea but than when looking in both tonsils I noticed more whitish-yellow lumps in my tonsils. My tonsils now feel like they are full of these nasty lumps and my tonsils have a burning sensation. Growing up I did have strep throat and ear infections a few times. Now my tonsils are starting to bother me. I have tried gargling Luke warm water with salt, cough drops, theraflu, and other things nothing is working. I don't know what to do.
  • yea i had this for a year how long do they last I have been having problem with it since I was 10 I am now 18 I believe they are tonsil stones but Im not sure but all i know is for the past 8 years all the doctors have told was oh she just has an infection and give me penicillin so becuz of that im allergic to penicillin lol and also watch out becuz after time they make your breath smell so bad and you cant get rid of it. The smell smells like rotting meat. I hate it and there is no way to get rid of it. unless a stupid doctor will diagnose you with the right problem but for me so far they never do. Good Luck!!!
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement