Discussions By Condition: Female sexual conditions

Chronic Bacterial Vaginosis!!!

Posted In: Female sexual conditions 14 Replies
  • Posted By: gottafindacure
  • March 13, 2007
  • 04:38 AM

Hi Everyone! I am really praying that this site is a GODSEND!!! I have been struggling with this problem for over a year and I am about to lose my mind AND my relationship. I picked up a prescription of Flagyl just yesterday but not hopeful that it would work. I have taken Clindess, Metranidozole/Flagyl, Accidophillus. This last time my Doctor suggested that my Boyfriend be treated as well. After much research I found that it is not likely to be him. Today I went out and purchased the Reuteri and I am hoping that will be the cure. My questions for the forum are....did anyone experience pain w/ deep penetration while having BV, do you guys feel that the male should be treated (if so how since the forum is ANTI antibiotics) and finally I hope I am right in thinking there is a significant difference in accidophillus and reuteri b/c I have tried the accidophillus. Please Please help me my relationship is sooooo suffering b/c of this and I have done sooo much research and alot of crying!:confused: Thanks everyone and I will post updates with the Reuteri

Reply Flag this Discussion

14 Replies:

• I know how you feel! I've tried all the prescribed meds and the acidophilus yogurt treatment, but no luck. How is the Reuteri treatment going?? Have you tried Aci-Jel??
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • HI...I'm 24 and have had bv for about three years and have tried everything. I went to the gyno and she gave me everything there is to treat bv..some of the meds were Clindesse, Gynazole, Relegard, Vandazole. I also tried the metallic tasting pill which made me feel so sick! A couple of the meds worked but only for a couple weeks and then the bv came back. I got tested for several stds and all came back negative(of course! I've only had sex with one man). My husband has been so understanding of the situation and I am very thankful for that. Having this is horrible! I know it isn't because of sex or his sperm, because we've gone several months without sex and it would always come back! I quit going to the gyno because I was getting no positive results. I have been lurking around in the message boards hoping to find some advice to get rid of my BV. I started taking Acidophilus orally and daily. Shortly after, I started the yogurt/acidophilus treatment and using that vaginally. I tried that for about two weeks and nothing! It didn't work! I was upset because I read on so many boards that this worked for lots of women. I was giving up hope, but then I learned about the Boric Acid treatment and a hydrogen peroxide treatment. I decided to try the boric acid treatment. I went to a local grocery store and bought the boric acid in powder form. Then, I went to a vitamin store and bought empty gel size 0 capsules. I filled them up about half way and inserted them vaginally. Boric Acid is toxic so they are not to be taken orally! It's recommended to take this for 7 days, but after 3 nights of taking this I started seeing results!! The discharge was gone! I had a little discharge but it was clear and did not smell at all..it looks to be natural. It's been about 2 weeks and it is still gone!! This is so great! My hubby and I are having sex and it still has not come back! I'll be posting this in several message boards and I hope some of you give it a try! Good luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi, I've never heard of a Boric Acid treatment. Where did you see this treatment?HI...I'm 24 and have had bv for about three years and have tried everything. I went to the gyno and she gave me everything there is to treat bv..some of the meds were Clindesse, Gynazole, Relegard, Vandazole. I also tried the metallic tasting pill which made me feel so sick! A couple of the meds worked but only for a couple weeks and then the bv came back. I got tested for several stds and all came back negative(of course! I've only had sex with one man). My husband has been so understanding of the situation and I am very thankful for that. Having this is horrible! I know it isn't because of sex or his sperm, because we've gone several months without sex and it would always come back! I quit going to the gyno because I was getting no positive results. I have been lurking around in the message boards hoping to find some advice to get rid of my BV. I started taking Acidophilus orally and daily. Shortly after, I started the yogurt/acidophilus treatment and using that vaginally. I tried that for about two weeks and nothing! It didn't work! I was upset because I read on so many boards that this worked for lots of women. I was giving up hope, but then I learned about the Boric Acid treatment and a hydrogen peroxide treatment. I decided to try the boric acid treatment. I went to a local grocery store and bought the boric acid in powder form. Then, I went to a vitamin store and bought empty gel size 0 capsules. I filled them up about half way and inserted them vaginally. Boric Acid is toxic so they are not to be taken orally! It's recommended to take this for 7 days, but after 3 nights of taking this I started seeing results!! The discharge was gone! I had a little discharge but it was clear and did not smell at all..it looks to be natural. It's been about 2 weeks and it is still gone!! This is so great! My hubby and I are having sex and it still has not come back! I'll be posting this in several message boards and I hope some of you give it a try! Good luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 15, 2010
    • 05:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm 30 and have suffered withBV for 2 years.My doctor prescribed the boric acid for me,to get it filled I had to go to a compound pharmacy and they made it for me.It's been 3 months and I havnt seen any signs of of the BV,my dr.also suggested that I take a supplement called probiotic that can come in a capsule,tablet and liquid form.Ladies we have to try our best to keep our ph balance leveled,that means eating correctly ,taking our vitamins ,eating a lot of green leafy veggies.So ask your gyno to prescribes the boric acid suppositories and take your probiotcs it works..God Bless Ladies.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 17, 2010
    • 03:59 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm 30 and have suffered withBV for 2 years.My doctor prescribed the boric acid for me,to get it filled I had to go to a compound pharmacy and they made it for me.It's been 3 months and I havnt seen any signs of of the BV,my dr.also suggested that I take a supplement called probiotic that can come in a capsule,tablet and liquid form.Ladies we have to try our best to keep our ph balance leveled,that means eating correctly ,taking our vitamins ,eating a lot of green leafy veggies.So ask your gyno to prescribes the boric acid suppositories and take your probiotcs it works..God Bless Ladies.Does it really work? I have had this problem for almost two years and its emberassing. 4 different doctors and same thing heres some pills and they send me home. This is embearassing and I cant take it anymore. Been tested for STD's and Iam clean. They say I just have to deal with it and never rerally try anything else. I've payed out at least $150 for antibiotics that work briefly and thats it, PLEASE HELP ME? I cant take this anymore. They even checked my ex boyfriend and treated him and it made no difference. The best results I've got so far was Three weeks without it and that was only once.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 14, 2010
    • 09:04 PM
    Flag this Response
  • As stated above, it is all about balancing the PH. This is why antibiotics don't work long term. Apparently, we are the lucky ones who have chonically unbalanced ph. ugh. I too have not found a cure ater 6 years of almost constant BV. I am scared of trying the boric acid treatment, but started using hydrogen peroxide last night. This is a very frustrating problem.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 24, 2010
    • 07:04 PM
    Flag this Response
  • As stated above, it is all about balancing the PH. This is why antibiotics don't work long term. Apparently, we are the lucky ones who have chonically unbalanced ph. ugh. I too have not found a cure ater 6 years of almost constant BV. I am scared of trying the boric acid treatment, but started using hydrogen peroxide last night. This is a very frustrating problem.I have had 340 BV infections since I was 14. I am now 34. Please help me. This is soooo frustrating. What is the peroxide treatment????
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 7, 2011
    • 02:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • As stated above, it is all about balancing the PH. This is why antibiotics don't work long term. Apparently, we are the lucky ones who have chonically unbalanced ph. ugh. I too have not found a cure ater 6 years of almost constant BV. I am scared of trying the boric acid treatment, but started using hydrogen peroxide last night. This is a very frustrating problem.I have had BV for 5 or 6 years now. I started getting it after having a bladder tuck using that mesh. I also had ablation surgery done. I have tried everything and nothing works. It just comes back and I have it 90% of the time. Please someone tell me why Doctors don't know how to rid this or get too the root of the problem?The GYN's know nothing what other kind of Doctor should I go to?There has got to be something that is causing this and it could be serious.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 7, 2011
    • 08:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've had bv about 1.5 years (I'm a 21 yo virgin) and feel like it's on its last legs now. I used to live on this site and my obgyn's office so thought I'd share what's been working for me because the antibiotics officially do nothing. Prayer!!! Can't stress enough just relaxing and having faith that God will deliver you from this wretched affliction in His own time. Plus, there could be worse things to deal with like certain disabilities or diseases.Juicing- I juice once every day and my energy levels have soared! I know the extra vitamins and nutrients have to help my body fight this thing off. I juice 1 broccoli stalk, 1 carrot, 1 cucumber, 2 celery stalks, 1 apple, 1 mango, 1 pear, and sometimes an orange or some grapes. Diet- I have cut out dairy, grease, and excessive sweets/sugars. Also, it helped to cut out fast foods and packaged/ processed foods. Avoid unnatural preservatives in foods such as nitrates/nitrites (in meats), and others. Also stay away from eggs that aren't natural bc they could have all kinds of hormones, antibiotics, and other crap in them your body doesn't need. Eat as many veggies as humanly possible!Acupuncture- helps de-stress my body and get the energy flowing. Found out stress is what threw my body out of whack in the first place, so my accupuncturist helps me manage that. I was also taking BC to regulate my periods (I'm not sexually active), and she said it would help to get off those and since I quit, I've had no problems with my period at all and the bv has been decidedly better. She also recommended me to trying ginger tea (home made). If anyone lives in SoCal, I would highly recommend her!Luckily, my boyfriend is super patient and loving, so I don't feel pressured at all to have sex. And he is really supportive and wants to do all he can to help me get better. Honestly, I'm no doc but I'd suggest giving up sex until the infection is gone for good--the less irritation and stuff going on in that area the better I'd say.Also, I use non scented glycerine soap and non scented detergent as well. Everyone is different of course but good luck to everyone and let's pray for us all!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 14, 2011
    • 06:38 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had this problem for over 10 years and now menopause, does menopause make it worse?What is this Boric acid and the Probitics? Where do I purchase them. Oh what is the hitrogen pex. procedure? Help I hate this!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 20, 2011
    • 05:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • 5 months ago my girlfriend had BV. For the last month she has been BV-free! It wasn’t easy to rid herself of this infection, in fact, we tried several different plans which resulted in failure before we did some serious research and put together a 2 month plan to fight this terrible thing.We tried combinations of flagyl, probiotics, douching in all manner of combinations with no positive results. I cannot guarantee this will work for everyone but I want to let people know what worked for us. What we did to cure her BV:Preventive measures: 1. Drink plenty of water everyday.2. Have sex as much as possible (with one person), no matter how messy or embarrassing. This will cause fluid to pass through the membranes which will act as a cleansing process. Try to have orgasms.3. Eat healthy.4. Sleep well.5. Take a multi-vitamin everyday or a flintstone multi.6. Stay clean around the vaginal opening and make sure his penis is clean.7. If you are on drugs or drink heavily or even smoke, this could cause major health obstacles. Consider changing these behaviors if possible.8. If you are on anti-depressants, try to taper off of them and withdraw slowly with help from your doctor. These medications interfere with hormones and can wreck people’s health.What you will need:1. Comfortable tampons2. nonfat, no extra sugar added yogurt (as a medium)3. An injector syringe found at the pharmacy (one which is usually used for giving small children medicine) There is no needle on this thing.4. A week’s prescription of Flagyl.5. Vinegar based douche or equivalent (for a one time cleansing)6. Panty liners.7. The correct probiotic , We used those containing L. Reuteri and L. Rhamnosis. Fem-dophilus is the one we used and can be picked up at The Vitamin Shoppe or online. Keep these chilled. Nature’s way has something called “Primadophilus REUTERI” which appears to have the same ingredients. You may have to find these online. You will need enough for a 2 month supply which will roughly equal 4 or 5 pills a day. L. REUTERI RC-14 is the one you NEED!!!! Scientific studies show that this is the strain which displaces the most Gardnerella bacterium. Procedure:1. EITHER:A. Go to the doctor and get a prescription of Flagyl (the full week supply and not the one or 2 day dose). Start taking it.B. """OR""" use a good douche such as one you buy in the store like vinegar based or iodine based. DO NOT DO A DEEP DOUCHE! THIS CAN PUSH THE INFECTION UP FURTHER! This is only to cleanse away the bacteria in the vagina. Go easy if you decide to douche.C. If you decide to use Flagyl and douche also, do both before starting the probiotic regimen. 2. A few days AFTER you start to take the Flagyl, begin the process of ingesting (swallowing) and inserting the correct L. Reuteri RC-14 probiotics. 3. Take 2 probiotic pills a day by mouth.4. Take a small cup and mix a few teaspoons of yogurt and 3 (REUTERI RC-14)probiotic pills together. You will need to open the capsules and sprinkle the powder into the yogurt. Stir this up really good.5. Take this mixture, a tampon and the syringe into the bathroom.6. Fill the syringe with about 2 teaspoons of mixture.7. Put the tampon in the cup and place the remaining mixture onto the tampon.8. insert syringe into the vagina and squeeze that mixture as far up in there as you can ladies. It won’t hurt you.9. Now plug the vagina with the tampon to keep the mixture up there.10. Leave this in overnight for several hours, every night for 1 to 2 months. I know… it is a long time. 6 weeks might be a good average time to consider. My girlfriend did it for 2 months.11. During this time hopefully your body will fight off the bad bacteria and restore the healthy flora that the probiotics will create. Colonies take time to grow so give your body time to recover. 12. After discontinuing the mixture insertion, allow your body to balance back out and get used to it’s new colonies without the introduction of probiotics. It takes several days for the yogurt to work out of your body, this is normal.13. Continue taking probiotics orally as long as you wish.After discontinuing the mixture, it took her about 2 or 3 weeks for all of the yogurt and smells to leave. The yogurt had a different smell that eventually left. She has been BV free for about a month now and we are watching closely or any recurrence. A month is a HUGE improvement and I feel confident things are on the right track. She is drinking a lot of water everyday and we have a lot of sex, which seems to help get the natural juices flowing. She does have an IUD (which we thought may be the problem) but so far it doesn’t seem to have been the problem.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 22, 2011
    • 06:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• 5 months ago my girlfriend had BV. For the last month she has been BV-free! It wasn’t easy to rid herself of this infection, in fact, we tried several different plans which resulted in failure before we did some serious research and put together a 2 month plan to fight this terrible thing. We tried combinations of flagyl, probiotics, douching in all manner of combinations with no positive results. I cannot guarantee this will work for everyone but I want to let people know what worked for us. What we did to cure her BV: Preventive measures: 1. Drink plenty of water everyday.2. Have sex as much as possible (with one person), no matter how messy or embarrassing. This will cause fluid to pass through the membranes which will act as a cleansing process. Try to have orgasms.3. Eat healthy.4. Sleep well.5. Take a multi-vitamin everyday or a flintstone multi.6. Stay clean around the vaginal opening and make sure his penis is clean.7. If you are on drugs or drink heavily or even smoke, this could cause major health obstacles. Consider changing these behaviors if possible.8. If you are on anti-depressants, try to taper off of them and withdraw slowly with help from your doctor. These medications interfere with hormones and can wreck people’s health. What you will need: 1. Comfortable tampons2. nonfat, no extra sugar added yogurt (as a medium)3. An injector syringe found at the pharmacy (one which is usually used for giving small children medicine) There is no needle on this thing.4. A week’s prescription of Flagyl.5. Vinegar based douche or equivalent (for a one time cleansing)6. Panty liners.7. The correct probiotic , We used those containing L. Reuteri and L. Rhamnosis. Fem-dophilus is the one we used and can be picked up at The Vitamin Shoppe or online. Keep these chilled. Nature’s way has something called “Primadophilus REUTERI” which appears to have the same ingredients. You may have to find these online. You will need enough for a 2 month supply which will roughly equal 4 or 5 pills a day. L. REUTERI RC-14 is the one you NEED!!!! Scientific studies show that this is the strain which displaces the most Gardnerella bacterium. Procedure: 1. EITHER:A. Go to the doctor and get a prescription of Flagyl (the full week supply and not the one or 2 day dose). Start taking it.B. """OR""" use a good douche such as one you buy in the store like vinegar based or iodine based. DO NOT DO A DEEP DOUCHE! THIS CAN PUSH THE INFECTION UP FURTHER! This is only to cleanse away the bacteria in the vagina. Go easy if you decide to douche.C. If you decide to use Flagyl and douche also, do both before starting the probiotic regimen. 2. A few days AFTER you start to take the Flagyl, begin the process of ingesting (swallowing) and inserting the correct L. Reuteri RC-14 probiotics. 3. Take 2 probiotic pills a day by mouth.4. Take a small cup and mix a few teaspoons of yogurt and 3 (REUTERI RC-14)probiotic pills together. You will need to open the capsules and sprinkle the powder into the yogurt. Stir this up really good.5. Take this mixture, a tampon and the syringe into the bathroom.6. Fill the syringe with about 2 teaspoons of mixture.7. Put the tampon in the cup and place the remaining mixture onto the tampon.8. insert syringe into the vagina and squeeze that mixture as far up in there as you can ladies. It won’t hurt you.9. Now plug the vagina with the tampon to keep the mixture up there.10. Leave this in overnight for several hours, every night for 1 to 2 months. I know… it is a long time. 6 weeks might be a good average time to consider. My girlfriend did it for 2 months.11. During this time hopefully your body will fight off the bad bacteria and restore the healthy flora that the probiotics will create. Colonies take time to grow so give your body time to recover. 12. After discontinuing the mixture insertion, allow your body to balance back out and get used to it’s new colonies without the introduction of probiotics. It takes several days for the yogurt to work out of your body, this is normal.13. Continue taking probiotics orally as long as you wish. After discontinuing the mixture, it took her about 2 or 3 weeks for all of the yogurt and smells to leave. The yogurt had a different smell that eventually left. She has been BV free for about a month now and we are watching closely for any recurrence. A month is a HUGE improvement and I feel confident things are on the right track. She is drinking a lot of water everyday and we have a lot of sex, which seems to help get the natural juices flowing. She does have an IUD (which we thought may be the problem) but so far it doesn’t seem to have been the problem.A HUGE “THANK YOU” to all of those who wrote about this and laid the groundwork so that we had something to go on to fix this very difficult problem. We are very relieved and happy. Good luck, hope this helps! Links: http://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&redirs=0&search=L.+reuteri&fulltext=Search&ns0=1
    wdtony 1 Replies
    • February 23, 2011
    • 02:37 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Ok ladies,I am having the same trouble with this for 2 years as well. I have been getting a lot of info from the internet. I have tried the hydrogen peroxide and get quick results but it ends up coming back. I have been taking probiotics, folic acid, and vitamin D because I read that low vitamin D levels can be linked to chronic bv. Anyways, I just ordered boric acid. How many days should I put it up there, how much in a capsule, and how many capsules, like one a night, two a night? Should I try the peroxide again since now I'm on probiotics, maybe I'll have more luck? I'd really hate to kill off any good bacteria that I've been trying to build.up so far, but if I have to, I will.
    Ashlee21 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I was 13 when I was diagnosed with my first yeast infection 20 years later I have been prescribed any and every thing you can think of. About 2 years ago at its worst. It was a monthly cycle.1 week..good... 2 weeks... just off...1 week burning itching crying..prescription or over the counter something....The doctors here are awful. The Toronto womens college hospital ignored 6 months of notes and prescribed and steroid cream. So now the itching is gone. Now my vagina smells like rotting meat. I can smell my self. Others must too. Theres no rhyme or reason, no one here talks about a cure that actually works long term. My daughter is 5 and its starting with her too. Doctors don't help simply because they don't know!!. Pobiotics vaginally only help when I use them. Femgyne vitamin C only worked during use. Am i really supposed to put stuff up my vag forever? without knowing what exactly im doing? how do I help my daughter she's 5! Steroid cream was prescribed for her too? steroids everyday on a 5 year old. Really? Some one please help me
    Icanttakeitanymore 2 Replies
    • November 8, 2013
    • 01:30 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement