Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Bell's Palsy & Watery Eyes

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 7 Replies
  • Posted By: chaplus
  • March 11, 2007
  • 06:08 AM

I had infantile facial palsy of the left side at the age of 3 or so -way back in 1956 or 1957. Although, what ever treatment was feasible at that time, was made use of but the problem did not vanish.
I grew up absolutely healthy and sturdy, so much so that never needed a doctor, save for a rare problem here and there.
Today I am reaching 54 years of my existence. In my youth and say, till about 10 years ago, the problems like watery eyes and somewhat less 'developed' left side ( almost imperceptible to the rest) etc were never in reckoning as problems. By the way, I have exercised regularly and have had the good fortune of a fairly toned body but all that is changing with age and the problem of the left side being much less responsive to the drill has also aggravated. Need to be on the guard and now the difference between the left and right side of the body shows.
I went to North America some years ago and the cold winds there would not let me be comfortable outside in the open and so instead of staying ( I had a permanent visa) I returned..no, I did not venture to discuss this with the docs there, knowing well that there would be folks in similar conditions and they must be managing too.
Now for the past some years, the problem of watery eye -left affected eye only-- has got aggravated and is a REAL problem indeed. I have to dab the eye to clear the water and there I can feel some viscuous substance, kind of oily stuff, and so I need to clear it to feel clean there as well as to have clear vision and the eye becomes dry and there appears redness, which must be a sore and then there is itching and occasionally I feel as if chilly powder has entered the eye. At times, the redness lasts a couple of days and if I haven't had good sleep, it seems to aggravate..And then it becomes difficult to carry on normally. Recently, I have entered another phase..at times the left eye drips as if there were a leak there!! This is real bad because I regularly need to be in meetings and it is very interruptive, forget about the embarrassment part.

What suggestions for the watery / itchy eyes and what can be done about lop-sided exercise results.. I never ever used tear drops and only some eye soothing drops - here we get I-Kool or some such stuff - when redness appeared.

Reply Flag this Discussion

7 Replies:

• I had a bout of Bell's palsy one year ago. I was treated with the proper medications and my symptoms cleared up within two weeks, however, I noticed in the past few months a very strange phenomenon which I can only believe is related to the Bell's palsy. When I sit down to eat, my left eye will water to the point that it looks as though I am crying from the left eye. This only happens when I am sitting and eating. I have to dab at the eye constantly to keep the flow of tears under control. Why is this happening? Is there a mixup of nerves?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Did you manage to find a solution to this watery problem. I am experiencing acute watering pretty often and it gets especially pronounced/aggravated when it is cold and the cold air / wind hits the eye. And as you dab your eye, it gets dry and starts smarting and again its tearful almost immediately. Glad to hear if you found a remedy or a mitigating solution. Chaplus I had a bout of Bell's palsy one year ago. I was treated with the proper medications and my symptoms cleared up within two weeks, however, I noticed in the past few months a very strange phenomenon which I can only believe is related to the Bell's palsy. When I sit down to eat, my left eye will water to the point that it looks as though I am crying from the left eye. This only happens when I am sitting and eating. I have to dab at the eye constantly to keep the flow of tears under control. Why is this happening? Is there a mixup of nerves?
    chaplus 1 Replies
    • January 20, 2008
    • 02:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had Bells Palsy in Sept 08. What you are discribing above is known as crocadile tears and is a common symptom of bells palsy. I don't believe there is a cure. But when this was first diagnosised it was thought to be brought on by being in high winds- like holding your head out of the car window. It has been 3 months since I had bells palsy. I took the steriods and anti inflamatory meds for 10 days. They helped - I thought I was cured. Now 3 months later I am experiencing numbness above my lip and under each cheek bone. It is not paralized just a little tingly. And my left eye feels like I have allergies.
    dana911 16 Replies
    • December 15, 2008
    • 03:43 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Bell's Palsy is thought to be triggered by herpes virus(cold sores). Eye involvement can be serious. So getting an eye exam is a good idea. While viruses can't be completely eradicated there are some supplements that can inhibit the herpes virus- the amino acid L-Lysine, monolaurin found in coconut oil, Elderberry(antiviral); there are many others you can find by searching online. Seems counter-intuitive but eye drops may help with the watering somewhat.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 20, 2008
    • 07:29 AM
    Flag this Response
  • The problem you're having is known as epiphora,in which a weakened lower lid allows an overflow of tears.I'm not aware of a cure,but I'll research treatments and get back to you.:)
    richard wayne2b 1,232 Replies
    • December 26, 2008
    • 00:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I just checked it out,and you should see an ophthalmologist.Since your tearing hasn't been lifelong,you might have a blocked puntum(small hole in corner of eye that tears enter on their way to our noses),which is often curable.Also,if you have an ectropion(lid eversion),it might need to be repaired.So,it's the day after Xmas,and I've just given you hope.A belated Merry Xmas!Oh,I have chronically dry eyes,so that I could use some of your tears!
    richard wayne2b 1,232 Replies
    • December 26, 2008
    • 00:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My daughter whom is 14 years of age got bells palsy about 5 months ago. she took the right medication and everything but for a week and a half now her eye will not stop watering. Its not just the sitting and eating but its all the time and it has never stopped. If you find a way to stop it or something please tell us.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement