Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Shoulder Problems and Kidney Failure

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: FutureMD
  • April 2, 2013
  • 02:18 AM

Probably 8 years ago my grandpa had a shoulder replacement done and was very well off up until recently. A few days ago, he fell and did something to his shoulder which required surgery to correct. The doctors fixed his shoulder by placing metal plates where they needed to be and so on.

However, other problems are arising from his post surgery. He has become extremely weak to the point where he cannot talk let alone move. He is also in extreme shoulder pain. The only form of communication he has is the ability to blink at questions asked. He is still alert and conscious, but wants to sleep for long periods of time. This is before the doctors figured out that his kidneys were failing (he has had kidney problems in the past, but never to the extent of failure).

It was thought that the solution to his extreme weakness was caused by the kidney's inability to flush the morphine and anesthetics out of his system post-surgery. However, after 2 dialysis treatments, he is showing little improvement. The doctors did a CT scan of his brain and found nothing. His red blood cell count was very low as well and needed a bag.

My theory is that he has an infection stemming from when he broke his shoulder which attacked his red blood cells and causing the kidney failure. However, it's unlikely this would have gone unnoticed. His Temp. and BP are all good as well. Does anyone have any advice or a diagnosis of what could be wrong with him?

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement