Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Overnight memory loss.

Posted In: Medical Stories 0 Replies
  • Posted By: TByrum
  • March 17, 2013
  • 04:25 PM

My mother was living with me and fell one evening and sprained her ankle. She told me she would be fine, so I helped her to her recliner and got her an ice pack. We had a potty chair, so I moved it to her room where it would make things easy for her. I checked on her before bed and again the next morning.
I left for work and about mid day she called and asked if I could come home and take her to the doctor. Her ankle had started turning blue. I rushed home and took her to the doctor who said she had a fracture and immediately sent her to the hospital in an ambulance. I followed her to the hospital and stayed with her until late evening. She was checked in a resting peacefully. The nurse had given her something for swelling and also something to help her rest. I left and went home because it was late and I had to work the next day.
About 1:00 in the morning, one of the nurses called and told me my mother was uncontrollable and would I please come to the hospital. When I arrived, my mother was in another world. Cursing the staff like a drunken sailor. My mother had never used words like that. She has always been a sweet little lady with perfect manors. She had a glare in her eyes that I didn't recoginze. She told me she was being held captive by these women and she thought she was in the back room of a honky tonk that was in our hometown when I was a small child. That place was torn down 40 years ago and she knew that. I had to help hold her down while they gave her something to calm her down.
From that day forward, my mother never came back. Her ankle healed, but her mind was lost forever. I brought her home but it wasn't long before I realized I needed help. I have put my mother in a nursing home because she didn't even know to go to the bathroom when she has to urinate. She would pee in the trash can. she called 911 several times because she would think there were people in the house trying to get her. The day I knew I had to do something, I returned home from work and the house was full of smoke. She had turned on the stove to cook something and forgot it and when I was trying to talk to her, she wouldn't even talk to me. She was talking to someone on the other side of the room. She was actually having a conversation with someone who wasn't even there. There are times she doesn't even know who I am.
My heart is broken and I have no explanation as to what happen to her. The hospital won't give me any answers and the doctor won't either. I'm not sure if they are hiding something or they just don't know. What did they give her in the hospital that could have caused this? That night in the hospital my mother went to sleep as the sweet woman who raised me and woke up someone else.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement