Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

6 years, doctors clueless, osteoporosis and flu-like symptoms

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 6,479,320 Replies
  • Posted By: vagabond79
  • February 7, 2013
  • 07:17 PM

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read this and any insight would be greatly appreciated.

First off, I am a 33 year old male who has been in good health my entire life. My family health history is fairly good with high blood pressure and diabetes in my paternal grandfather.

For the past 6+ years I have constant flu-like symptoms (w/o fever). I basically feel as if I am coming down with a cold or flu.

In June 2010, I woke up with pain in my right hip. It slowly got better. The orthopedist said it was probably transient osteoporosis.
In May 2012, I basically experienced the same thing with my left hip, but way more painful. I had surgery to reinforce that hip with a titanium screw.

I began going to a bone endocrinologist at Duke to see if we could figure out the cause. He ran a DEXA scan that found I had osteoporosis in my spine, arm and hip. He said the hip pain was probably due to small fractures that did not show up on the MRIs. He ran a bunch of tests such as thyroid, alkaline phosphatase, vitamin D, testosterone, luteinizing hormone, etc. Nothing was out of the ordinary except for Vitamin D, which was at 15. I have since taken prescription supplements and it was 35 (normal) in my last test. I was then sent to rheumatology at Duke who also failed to find anything.

I have been tested for many other things previously by about a dozen doctors such as celiak, lupus, anemia, glucose, HIV, etc. but everything comes back normal.

Any thoughts you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement