Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

sore throat but not strep

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 19 Replies
  • Posted By: bstewart
  • March 10, 2007
  • 00:25 AM

my throat has been hurting for the last week. my tonsils are very swollen too. i went to the doctor and it isnt strep. it hurts severely when i swallow and yawn. it is at the worst in the morning and during the night. none of the common cold medicines are working. i have even tried gargling with salt water and that didnt help. does anyone know what this is and how i can get rid of it??

please help.

Reply Flag this Discussion

19 Replies:

• Have they checked your sinuses? Severe sinusitis can lead to the problems you describe?
    totallyconfused 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • no they havent. i will have to tell them to check that out. hopefully that is what it is. thanks a lot. :)
    bstewart 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • When you had the test for strep, was it that fast, in the office, test? Those are notorious for having false negatives. On the other hand, do you have any other symptoms that suggest strep? Do you have a fever? Do you have any rash? Are there white spots in the back of your throat, along with the red? Is your stomach upset at all? How are your bowel movements?Gargling with warm salt water is always useful, even if it doesn't relieve anything immediately. Doing it 2 or 3 times a day helps draw out the stuff in your inflamed tissues. If it is a virus, it coud take days to show benefit, but it is worth continuing as long as the gargling doesn't hurt. Also, using an over-the-counter saline nasal spray can help clear out your sinuses. Neither of these activities will harm you so you can at least do them while you and your doctor figure out what is wrong.I hope you feel better soon,Shula
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Please do not listen to anything Shula or Acuann tell you. My sister just passed away because Shula and Acuann told her that her doctor was wrong and she did not have a serious condition. Acuann even told her to get acupuncture to get healed. These people are going to be investigated for practicing medicine without a license. Shula and Acuann are specifically wanted in connection with my sisters homocide. Thats right homocide. If she would have listened to her doctor instead of these internet quacks she would still be here today. Rest assured I will do everything in my power to put these two behind bars and shut this website down for good.
  • Many physicians confuse sore throat with odynophagia because they apparently present in a similiar manner--enlarged tonsils,pain in the throat.However the difference is that between heaven and ***l.Former one requires antibiotics as it is a bacterial infection--eg.strep throat--while odynophagia being a viral infection requires completely different set of medications like acyclovir,ganciclovir and foscarnet. You definitely have a viral infection--and that too of the uppermost part of the foodpipe and not the throat,although there is absolutely nothing to worry about.An interesting fact about any viral infection is that it subsides on its own in 7-10 days.So even if u dont take antiviral medications u will be fine in another 3-4 days.However 2 reduce pain u may want 2 try a hand at it--nothing wrong about it. Now let me tell u the inside story! Suppose u change the doctor and u get a new prescription which unfortunately is again an antibacterial medication.you take this for 3-4 days and u feel somewhat better and u praise this new physician.Hey,but wait--you have a viral infection and viral infection subsides on its own and it had to!! But u feel the new set of antibacterial medications has worked-----strange, but a hard fact. 1. If u have a sore throat due to bacteria only ,it should have responded dramatically quickly to treatment--only 2 doses of an antibiotic r sufficient.Infact,any bacterial infection in the body responds quickly to antibacterial medications provided the diagnosis is perfect and the choice of drug is good. Bacterial infections will produce high fever which is absent in your case. 2. Besides, u dont have running nose,cough,headache.So the chances of infection of respiratory tract r minimal.Thus the only possible site of infection is the uppermost part of your foodpipe which is in immediate vicinity to upper part of your airpipe.Also, this area is susceptible to viral infections rather than bacteria.Herpes simplex-1 is the most common agent in normal,healthy individuals.R u sexually active? If yes, then probably your female partner is the source of infection and she too requires treatment to avoid recurrences.if no, no problem.
  • I didnt have any other symptoms of strep. I really don't think that is what it is though. I have started feeling a lot better. There is still some tenderness near the top of my throat whenever I eat. Yes I am sexually active. But I'm a girl so then that means that my boyfriend could be the cause of all this? What exactly is Herpes simplex-1? Does this mean that I will have to get treatment even though I am starting to feel better? Thanks for all the suggestions that you guys made.
    bstewart 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • If you are feeling better, and continue to get better all the way to "all better" and your doctor doesn't tell you to treat something else, then enjoy life.If it gets worse, if it doesn't get all the way better, then you can reconsider.I am glad you are feeling better. I sore throat that lasts a week, then goes away on its own is usually a virus. Best,Shula
  • What exactly is Herpes simplex-1? Does this mean that I will have to get treatment even though I am starting to feel better?There are two types of HSV (herpes simplex virus): HSV-1 and HSV-2. HSV-1 infects about 80% of the U.S. population and usually appears on the lips in cold sores. HSV-2 is usually appears on the genital area. However, both HSV-1 and HSV-2 viruses can cause herpes outbreaks in either area.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 21, 2008
    • 11:23 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same symptoms. White female age 36 non-smoker. Had it a few weeks ago, went to doctor who threw amoxycilin at me with no specific diagnosis--and after the 2nd pill, I was completely better!Finished the course of antibiotics, and 4 days later it came back with a vengeance. Have to be on Tylenol constantly. Got so bad on Sunday, I went to urgent care and they diagnosed sinusitis (negative quick strep) and gave me azythromicin. Just took pill 5 of 5 today and there is no improvement.So, now what? I don't want to go on antibiotics again--especially if they're pointless--but it's hard to live like this. If this is a virus, it's ***n tenacious. I've never had anything like this.
    jbelinski 1 Replies
    • August 21, 2008
    • 07:09 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had several problems with my throat and mouth over the last 6 months but no fever and no other symptoms. Was prescribed antibiotic first, then tongue got yellow fuzz, then sore throat with white fungus plus other red spots. Throat culture came out negative and is not strep or thrush. I saw Mayo Clinic website recommended eating non-sweetened yogurt with 2 live cultures in it and as soon as I started doing that (a small amount several times a day) the spots and yellow tongue started going away. Apparently when you take antibiotic it messes with your natural body chemistry and the live bacteria in the yogurt brings your system back to healthy normal. It's been a week and the spots are gone but throat is still not feeling perfect so I'm learning to like yogurt and will continue. I smoke, clean houses so am exposed to chemicals and dust, and use a steroid inhaler.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 16, 2009
    • 06:39 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had several problems with my throat and mouth over the last 6 months but no fever and no other symptoms. Was prescribed antibiotic first, then tongue got yellow fuzz, then sore throat with white fungus plus other red spots. Throat culture came out negative and is not strep or thrush. I saw Mayo Clinic website recommended eating non-sweetened yogurt with 2 live cultures in it and as soon as I started doing that (a small amount several times a day) the spots and yellow tongue started going away. Apparently when you take antibiotic it messes with your natural body chemistry and the live bacteria in the yogurt brings your system back to healthy normal. It's been a week and the spots are gone but throat is still not feeling perfect so I'm learning to like yogurt and will continue. I smoke, clean houses so am exposed to chemicals and dust, and use a steroid inhaler.If you're not rinsing your mouth after you go your inhaler, you probably should. Might be contributing to the mouth issues.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• jbelinski- i have the same problem ... so how was it finally resolved .. i have had 2 rounds of amoxycillin but now it back for the 3rd time .... help!!!!shazI have the same symptoms. White female age 36 non-smoker. Had it a few weeks ago, went to doctor who threw amoxycilin at me with no specific diagnosis--and after the 2nd pill, I was completely better!Finished the course of antibiotics, and 4 days later it came back with a vengeance. Have to be on Tylenol constantly. Got so bad on Sunday, I went to urgent care and they diagnosed sinusitis (negative quick strep) and gave me azythromicin. Just took pill 5 of 5 today and there is no improvement.So, now what? I don't want to go on antibiotics again--especially if they're pointless--but it's hard to live like this. If this is a virus, it's ***n tenacious. I've never had anything like this.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 9, 2011
    • 03:33 PM
    Flag this Response
  • If you haven't figured it out by now it may be tonsillitis
  • i have been having same problem negative strep cant hardly swallow and it will get better and then start again better and then start again the doc this morning told me that it might not be sinus but allergies which is closely related to sinus but could be due to people cutting grass etc i usually have allergy problems but not ever had my throat to hurt like this so she gave me flonase and she gave me some reflux she said that even though you think you might not have reflux problem you can so im gonna start them both and then in a couple weeks stop the reflux and see if the problem comes back if it does then i know its reflux if it dont then i know its allergies
  • my throat has been hurting for the last week. my tonsils are very swollen too. i went to the doctor and it isnt strep. it hurts severely when i swallow and yawn. it is at the worst in the morning and during the night. none of the common cold medicines are working. i have even tried gargling with salt water and that didnt help. does anyone know what this is and how i can get rid of it?? please help.I am currently having the same issue, did you ever find anything out?
  • hi im kaci im 13 and for the past 2 days when i wake up my throat hurts so bad i cant stand it. i cant talk, drink, eat, ect. later on in the day i get better but i dont understand y it hurts so bad in the morning...someone help me plz!
  • my throat has been hurting for the last week. my tonsils are very swollen too. i went to the doctor and it isnt strep. it hurts severely when i swallow and yawn. it is at the worst in the morning and during the night. none of the common cold medicines are working. i have even tried gargling with salt water and that didnt help. does anyone know what this is and how i can get rid of it?? please help.Tere are a few Diseases that mimic strep and the no 1 Culprit is Mono. It causes the exact symtoms (swollen glands, white patches in throat etc) and is often diagnosed as strep. As much as 40% of patients with mono also get strep which would account for the antibiotic's initial relief of symptoms, then a "seemingly" return or relapse. Mono is a virus and thus antibiotics wont work. Also, studies do not indicate antiviral therapy and some antivirals worsen mono. If you suspect Mon, go to the nih site on the net as there are some definite concerns (enlarged spleen, liver etc) that should be addressed. Mono is treated maily with rest, fluids and nsaids.
  • What patches and soreness and swelling in the throat is a sign of mono. check with your doc about that.
  • It's.interesting reading thos thread. I have had swollen tonsils for about three week now. I have done a round of a z pack (two weeks ago) and amoxicillian (last 8 days). First I had a sore thoart, with a sudden headache and fever. I went to the doc. Said it was strep thus the z pack, because of a lot of white stuff on the tonsils area. Finished that cycle and still had stratchy thoart and really swollen tonsils, still red. Went for second round of antibiotics. Almost done with that now and still have the really swollen, red tonsils with a alight scratch, and I swear there is a wrote stuff back there.... what could all this mean? And what are my options? It's just really annoying at this point.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement