Discussions By Condition: Anxiety

Freezing cold?

Posted In: Anxiety 7 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • March 9, 2007
  • 02:09 AM

Last night when I was going to sleep, my entire body felt like ice or something, which is weird, because the room I was in was about 70+ degrees f. My feet always get ice cold when I lie down, same with my hands, but now my knuckles crack, and they never did that before I started having anxiety problems. I'm wondering if this is anxiety, or circulation problems?

Reply Flag this Discussion

7 Replies:

• Hi there, I have suffered anxiety and panic disorder for 22 yrs. I have tried everything including training to be a counselor to try and rid myself of this curse. My symptoms have varried over the years but severe cold has always been a feature. I would go as far as to say i was hyperthermic and feel as if i'm shivering uncontrolably. No matter how much I wrap up I just can't get warm. I also have this wierd sensation in my chest but when I check my blood presure it is usually quite low. One night we went down to 95 over 55. I always thought anxiety raised your blood presure. All I can suggest is a hot drink, a good film and a thick blanket. Sorry I can't help.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Whoa!!! Both of you probably have hypothyroidism.The shivering I can very much relate to and the anxiety and panic attacks!You can have hyper and hypo symptoms together or vascillate between them or have differing symptoms than are listed since everyone's body reacts different to the disease.I had this problem for years and now I can stay warm in a 70 degree room.Find a good internist and get tested!Here's my recommendations:All the tests for initially diagnosing a thyroid condition are blood tests. Recommended are:Thyroid AntibodiesTSHFree T4Free T3Your regular doctor should be able to test you for these. Make sure the regular doctor is an internist, though, because I've found that they have a little more knowledge.They should also palpate your thyroid to feel for any abnormalities. And they'll do other physical tests to observe the signs of thyroid disease.Most internists can treat you without referring you to an endocrinologist. The only time you'll need a referral is when there are complications such as an enlarged heart, high blood pressure, or if you are older or younger or you have a concurrent medical condition which would make treatment complicated.It's best that you go to your doctor armed with information about your possible condition. I found the following websites very helpful and informative. The latter one you'll need a medical dictionary to help you decipher some of the words.1. Keep a record of your tests.2. Know your condition. Do the research and become an informed patient.3. Know your symptoms and keep a journal.4. Find a doctor who will listen and believe you.5. Get a second opinion.6. If you don't like a doctor, don't be afraid to fire them!7. Remember you know your body and your symptoms. The doctor can only know the signs of a disease. So be prepared to fill in the missing pieces for the doctor. Together you'll complete the picture.http://www.thyroidtoday.com/Look for Carole Spencer's article under Expert Opinions. She writes about the current protocol for treating thyroid disease.http://www.thyroidmanager.org/Written by doctors for doctors treating patients with thyroid disease.http://medical-dictionary.thefreediction...A great quick reference for medical terms.
  • thanks for the reply!that might help me?i too suffer from thyroid problems, and anixety attacks!ive been so cold at times, with trembling and shakynessdry mouth with all that too..i have been woke up from sound sleep to be right into an attack!its so horrible!!!my doc incresed my thyroid meds about a yaer ago,since then this problem has come along with anixety??iam going to see my doc tomarrow, and i want a complete updatedone on my thyroid!aswell as some other meds iam taking to see if its too much!!bren
    brenda47 4 Replies
    • October 22, 2007
    • 08:04 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello,I have been getting sudden cold chills that last for a few seconds. They feel like cold water being splashed all over me, even when it is warm. This usually leads to weird hand gestures, my neck twists, and my eyes roll up. I do have a Panic disorder. Is this in anyway related to what you are experiencing? Could these be signs or symptoms?
    Oingo7Boingo 4 Replies
    • January 11, 2008
    • 06:31 PM
    Flag this Response
  • interesting because only last week I saw a doctor re benefits and as i have been suffering for years with no help from g.p I asked him for his oppinion as he as a doctor, although not meant to diagnose. From our short conversation and what you have described, it could be fits. There are many forms of epilepsy. I go freezing cold and then cannot stay awake. just cannot. It lasts 3 hours, but 6 years ago when it was worst, I was on and off all day and in all sorts of inappropriate situations. Prozac is thought to cause fits. Just a possibility as it was the last thing I would have considered. Staring for 30 seconds and returning to a conversation for example is a fit, sometimes. I cant get help and I have learned a lot and everything is worth exploring,
  • Get it checked out, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think some people are generally colder than others, and there are so many other factors that affect it as well. At times, my body is terribly cold at night, my girlfriend joked that i feel like i'm dead, but I'm not a generally cold person. So many different things like mood, how much you have drank / eaten that day, etc affect this. I definitely would not worry.
    harlamar 5 Replies Flag this Response
  • I too have been freezing for at least the last 8 months doc cked my thyroid and all sorts of other test everything was normal. Six weeks ago i developed severe diarrhea and abdominal pain nausea and vomiting and couldnt eat went to docs monday he gave me a cortisone shot and a little pill called ondansetron it is used to treat nausea in cancer patients who have chemo or radiation therapy I only took 1 pill and within two hours i was peeling off layers of cloths and was sweating and havent been cold since it was like i flipped a switch i was diagnosed with colitis and that is what was causing all of my problems so i was also put on an antibiotic (cipro) but i havent felt this good for a long time. It so nice to not be froze to the bone everyday and night. Good luck to you. Dougithanks for the reply!that might help me?i too suffer from thyroid problems, and anixety attacks!ive been so cold at times, with trembling and shakynessdry mouth with all that too..i have been woke up from sound sleep to be right into an attack!its so horrible!!!my doc incresed my thyroid meds about a yaer ago,since then this problem has come along with anixety??iam going to see my doc tomarrow, and i want a complete updatedone on my thyroid!aswell as some other meds iam taking to see if its too much!!bren
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 1, 2010
    • 03:33 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement