Discussions By Condition: Blood conditions

High MCV and HCH

Posted In: Blood conditions 1 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • May 17, 2012
  • 08:47 PM

I'm a 35 year old female and my blood work came back with high MCV (103.3), high MCH (35.1), and macrocytosis 2+. Everything else was normal.

If alcohol caused these results, how much alcohol would it take?

I'm trying to figure out if I drink too much. I ordinarily drink about 1-2 times a week, not terribly lightly but not enough to make me sick--about 3-4 drinks at a time. Although, admittedly, there are weeks when I drink more often. I also drank quite heavily (about 3-4 times per week) when I lived overseas last year.

So, could that all add up to alcohol as the explanation for those results?

I don’t think I have vitamin deficiencies because I’m very good about diet and exercise and I take supplements, including B12.

Is it also possible that these results could in fact be “normal” for me? And nothing to worry about?

I would very much appreciate advice.

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

• I have had raised MCV for years ( even before I was diagnosed with Graves' disease). I had a bone marrow test and all fine but haematologist advised stopping any consumption of alcohol. I wasn't a big drinker before anyway and now, having not drank for over 2 years I still have an MCV of 111. I've cut out gluten, caffeine and sugar too. Not sure where to turn next. I'm convinced it's part of why I haven't been able to have children but the doctors dont seem to know what to do if you don't fit into the b12/alcoholic box (or they suspect you are alcoholic)! Sorry I can't help but am coming to the conclusion that it's not necessarily a diet and lifestyle thing. I would be interested to know if you have had any issues with your thyroid or any fertility issues?
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • November 24, 2015
    • 08:19 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Signs of a Psoriasis Flare

Know the five types of psoriasis and how to spot flares.

How Diabetes Medications Affect Your Appetite

Newer diabetes treatments can suppress appetite and aid weight loss.

What to Do For Dry Mouth

Try these tips to get your salivary glands back into action.

The Painkiller – Constipation Connection

Constipation is a common side effect of opioid and narcotic pain medicines.

9 Signs of Sensitive Skin

Is it sensitive skin or something else?

Advertisement