Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Swollen puffy eyes and hands

Posted In: Medical Stories 6 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • March 8, 2007
  • 05:51 PM

I have been experiencing swollen puffy eyes for about the last four months now. In the last 3 weeks my hands are also swollen and my wrist are sore. Also the cuticles around my fingers are dark and my hands are very rough. The swelling will lessen thru out the day, but my wrist are sore. The swelling is at it's highest when I awake in the morning. I have been to my doctor and she keeps giving me all these test including blood and coming back with no diagnose. I am very uncomfortable and also very tired and fatigue, pls help!

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• Hi, I have the same problem. They are checking to see if it related to my thyroid of if it is an autoimmune problem. It may be something simple like that so you should try taking claritin in the mornings and zyrtec at night (each 10 mg) for a couple of days and see if that helps. If so, your body is just releasing histamines which causes you to swell like that.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • What medications are you currently taking? Are you female and on birth control? This is a common serious side effect of many meds, and doctors usually overlook this. DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • maybe you should find another doctor; did she check your kidneys??
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • I'm experiencign the exact same symptoms but no one can seem to tell me what's wrong. It is so frustrating!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I'm experiencing the exact same symptoms but no one can seem to tell me what's wrong. It is so frustrating!!!Im experiencing the same symptoms too. I caught a cold on 2nd October, by the third day a had a very bad 24hr fever with all my joints from my ankles throughout my body aching like I've never experienced before. I went to my doctor after 10 days and he thought it was viral reactive arthritis. All the blood tests came back normal so I was referred to a consultant rheumatologist:More blood tests - normalliver ultra sound scan - enlarged /fatty liver, (Im not obese nor do I eat a fatty diet/alcohol)urine - high proteinI was then put on anti-inflammatories, which did not work.further urine sample - high protein.I was then put on a different anti-inflammatory (Meloxicam 15mg per day), which isn't working. I'm going back to my doctor tomorrow morning to give a third urine sample, and I'm not booked into to see the consultant for another 3 weeks as he is convinced I only have Post Viral Fatigue.In the mean time, all my joints are still painful. I get fluctuating puffiness of the eyes and cheeks (top of my cheekbones), my hands also get very puffy. Laying down is worse and during the night my hands feel like they're breaking if I try and bend my fingers. Wrists and shoulders are bad too and now my back keeps going into muscle spasm because its trying to over compensate. My liver is painful and my kidneys are being investigated.Im now having physio to keep me mobile, but this illness has been going on for 7weeks now with no improvement. I have slight carpel tunnel on both wrists and had an operation on my ulnar nerve (elbow) a couple of years ago which is adding to the pain now.I need to get back to health as I enjoy a career being self employed, am a regular scuba diver. I was in the middle of refurbishing my flat too - I had just finished laying a new wooden floor when I got ill. So you can see, Im usually an active person. I want my life back.My sympathy to all who have this mystery illness.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 20, 2009
    • 01:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Im experiencing the same symptoms too. I caught a cold on 2nd October, by the third day a had a very bad 24hr fever with all my joints from my ankles throughout my body aching like I've never experienced before. I went to my doctor after 10 days and he thought it was viral reactive arthritis. All the blood tests came back normal so I was referred to a consultant rheumatologist:More blood tests - normalliver ultra sound scan - enlarged /fatty liver, (Im not obese nor do I eat a fatty diet/alcohol)urine - high proteinI was then put on anti-inflammatories, which did not work.further urine sample - high protein.I was then put on a different anti-inflammatory (Meloxicam 15mg per day), which isn't working. I'm going back to my doctor tomorrow morning to give a third urine sample, and I'm not booked into to see the consultant for another 3 weeks as he is convinced I only have Post Viral Fatigue.In the mean time, all my joints are still painful. I get fluctuating puffiness of the eyes and cheeks (top of my cheekbones), my hands also get very puffy. Laying down is worse and during the night my hands feel like they're breaking if I try and bend my fingers. Wrists and shoulders are bad too and now my back keeps going into muscle spasm because its trying to over compensate. My liver is painful and my kidneys are being investigated.Im now having physio to keep me mobile, but this illness has been going on for 7weeks now with no improvement. I have slight carpel tunnel on both wrists and had an operation on my ulnar nerve (elbow) a couple of years ago which is adding to the pain now.I need to get back to health as I enjoy a career being self employed, am a regular scuba diver. I was in the middle of refurbishing my flat too - I had just finished laying a new wooden floor when I got ill. So you can see, Im usually an active person. I want my life back.My sympathy to all who have this mystery illness.*****Have you been in the Bahams or Cozumel in last 6 months? I noticed you are a diver and my son's girlfriend is having the same symptoms. They are telling her it is Lupus! No formal diagnosis from Pathologist. Just from GP. Never asked her about travel.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 10, 2010
    • 01:40 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement