Discussions By Condition: Gastrointestinal conditions

Stomach pains - not really hunger, not quite nausea

Posted In: Gastrointestinal conditions 98 Replies
  • Posted By: devotchka
  • March 7, 2007
  • 02:23 AM

I've had this problem going on a couple weeks now and just can't seem to shake it, and it seems to only be getting worse. I'll wake up in the morning with what feels like bad hunger, I'll eat something, and it subsides briefly (20-40minutes, usually) and then I get what feels like a mix between hunger, nausea, and just general stomach in knots. It isn't constant through the day, but lately it just gets worse at night as I continue to eat regularly through the day. I've tried not eating as much and spacing things out, thinking I may be stuffing myself too much at once thinking I'm really hungry, but it remains. It hurts, and I feel like I could throw up (but not like I must), but I also feel a little hungry with no appetite changes, other than mentally not wanting to eat because I want this to go away. It's a vicious circle, I think. I haven't had any real changes in diet otherwise, haven't been sick, and no problems with lower digestion.

I've never had a problem with indigestion in the past and I haven't been having any reflux, so I'm just really not sure. I thought I'd see if anyone here had any ideas before I go to my doctor.

Reply Flag this Discussion

98 Replies:

• I've just been searching for answers on my symptoms - mine sound very similar. I woke up this morning starving hungry (unusual for me early in the morning), but then when I ate a small breakfast I felt bloated and nauseous. Ended up vomiting and felt a little better. But this hunger feeling has been happening over the last couple of weeks - my tummy will be grumbling only an hour after dinner, when I shouldn't even be hungry.I have all sorts of other symptoms, i.e. no periods recently (I'm 39), and many symptoms associated with my thyroid condition, so I don't know what's connected with what.....and I'm 99.9% sure I'm not pregnant.Sorry I couldn't help you with an answer.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am having the EXACT same issue, missed period included! The stomach discomfort started only started yesterday, but it was significant enough for me to search for possible causes. If either of you shed any light on the situation, please do let me know!
  • Wow! I first endured this illness in January and February of this year - 2008. I was always hungry, was always nauseas, with a bit of heartburn thrown in. At first I thought it was the flu as it came on slowly, but it continued to progress and finally I felt I had to visit my doctor. I had every test my doctor could think of, but they all came back negative. H Pylorii included. Eventually, the only position I felt comfortable in was completely horizontal - which was fortunate because I had a scuba diving weekend to go on (I cut it short sadly). Any incline at all made my stomach feel incredibly worse. I do have GERD, take Pariet everyday and usually have no problems. With the reflux I'm not supposed to feel good lying down after eating, but with this it was the only time I felt at all decent. Tried doubling the Pariet, took Gaviscon, and anything else I could find at the pharmacy to no avail. Ginger tea (sliced ginger lemon and honey) helped a small amount. As time went by I lost weight but slowly gained my stomach back, it took about 2 months to be gone. I gave up all caffeine sources, fats, alcohol, and acidic foods during this sickness, and even found that my favorite comfort foods held no appeal for me. In the Middle of March I decided to try 1 cup of coffee daily and had no problem - until about a week ago when the nausea and hunger restarted. I really don't want to go through this again, I may try an Alternative MD as they are Western doctors with 'open' eyes to non-typical solutions. I researched this before in January and found a few people throughout North America who had had this ailment. I wonder what we all have in common? I'm on the west coast, travelled to the orient a year ago for a month, and work in a fairly new, but dust producing building with international travellers always passing through. I would defintely like to find out what this is and avoid it - although I'll probably lose that extra weight for the summer...
    kashelley 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I haven't missed a period but all these symptoms are close if not the same as mineIt comes and goes away for maybe 3 weeks or a month at most but then i get intense pains out of know where. I do agree that laying down helps some what but not always. Like for example last night i woke up from the pains. I find that releasing gas helps for whatever reason. Im going to try changing my diet to see what happens. Every time i get these pains its seems that there is a different cure each time First food seemed to help cease the pain, then it was lying down now it is releasing gas. Any other suggestions?
  • hii tested positive for h pylori in 2005 was in a very bad way couldnt go to work always felt sick had to get off the bus several times and go home as i felt naseuous and sluggish all i wanted to do was lie down.i had a lot of tests done and nothing showed up apart from testing positive for the h pylori, i was put on protium for it. it was like a constant knot in my wind pipe nasuea feeling but not actually gettig sick just the whole 'oh my god im going to be sick' feeling, i couldnt go any where and barely left the house. eventually it seemed to sort itself out but now in the last few months i have had the same feelings back again, it is like a constant hungover feeling really dehydrated feeling knot in windpipe and constant feeling of wanting to be sick,even now i feel really sluggish its horrible and it is really starting to take over again. i went to the docotr about a month ago and he put me back on protium,although he did say the h pylori shouldnt be back as the protuim should have cleared it up the last time.what i wouldnt give to just feel normal and not have a constant dodgy tummy. i have cut out bread and anythign with yeast really. began kineseology as i assumed it all could be stress related, panick attacks have seemed to stem from this as i am always afraid i will actually throw up, anyone any other suggestionsapologies for the long thread!!:o
  • well, I have the same problem as everyone else . . . even missed periods. I often wake up starving, especially when I eat just before bed, but this is different - much more intense, and the nausea sticks around for the whole morning and usually includes diarhea.I went to the doctor about a month and a half ago and after determining I wasn't pregnant, he told me it was probably a gastointestinal virus and there was nothing I could do about it. It eventually went away, but just came back today, about a month later. Here are some things Í've noticed and some things we might be able to compare: It seems to occur around the time I "should" get my periodI went off the birth control pill a couple of months agoI went on a herbal cleanse in April, felt better than ever, but now I notice bloating when I eat wheatI'm a vegeterian. Much of my food comes from Western Canada and the USA. I work in a tourist town where I come in contact with thousands of travellers from around the world - mostly USA, Japan, Britain, Australia.I usually drink only brita filtered waterI'm 27Anyone else care to give some clues?
  • Hi, I have had the same symptoms. I have had abdominal pain and nauseatic feeling on and off. I have also noticed that I get these symptoms close to the start of my periods and after having coffee. I can't tolerate caffeine. 2 years back, when I had nausea and abdominal pain, my doctor suggested me to go for an abdominal and pelvic scan and ultrasound and the reports were normal. Earlier this year, I had the same symptoms and chest pain and so was taken to ER. Blood test indicated slightly elevated D-Dimer. So, the doctors further diagnosed me for pulmonary embolism by VQ scan and the reports were normal. They found no clots in my lungs. Again 2 weeks back, I had the same abdominal pain and nausea and I vommited, so my doctor suggested that I should go for a Helicobacter Pylori antibodies blood test, complete blood count, Liver function tests and I suggested D-Dimer to see if it is still elevated. My Helicobacter Pylori was positive and my D-Dimer was elevated (0.99 ug/mL), whereas the normal range is 0.5 ug/mL. My doctor told me that my D-Dimer is elevated due to my infection and has put me on medicines for a week to cure my infection. I am feeling totally sick with these medicines. I have two more days of medicine to have and then I am going to meet my doctor on Wednesday. I feel really worse at night time, I get sudden pain in my back, legs and feel very tired. All the symptoms of this stomach infection is awful and I feel hungry even after eating substantial meal. I have lost 3-4 kgs in last 4 months. Elevated D-Dimer is worrying me. I hope I don't have cancer. I am 27 and I don't want to have serious ailments like cancer. Does anyone have elevated D-Dimer levels with heliocbacter infection? Please let me know...My doctor has told me that D-Dimer is a very non-specific test and can be elevated due to infections and various other reasons. In my case she thinks its because of Helicobacter Pylori infection. Hope we all feel better soon....God Bless!
  • Hi, I have had the same symptoms. I have had abdominal pain and nauseatic feeling on and off. I have also noticed that I get these symptoms close to the start of my periods and after having coffee. I can't tolerate caffeine. 2 years back, when I had nausea and abdominal pain, my doctor suggested me to go for an abdominal and pelvic scan and ultrasound and the reports were normal. Earlier this year, I had the same symptoms and chest pain and so was taken to ER. Blood test indicated slightly elevated D-Dimer. So, the doctors further diagnosed me for pulmonary embolism by VQ scan and the reports were normal. They found no clots in my lungs. Again 2 weeks back, I had the same abdominal pain and nausea and I vommited, so my doctor suggested that I should go for a Helicobacter Pylori antibodies blood test, complete blood count, Liver function tests and I suggested D-Dimer to see if it is still elevated. My Helicobacter Pylori was positive and my D-Dimer was elevated (0.99 ug/mL), whereas the normal range is 0.5 ug/mL. My doctor told me that my D-Dimer is elevated due to my infection and has put me on medicines for a week to cure my infection. I am feeling totally sick with these medicines. I have two more days of medicine to have and then I am going to meet my doctor on Wednesday. I feel really worse at night time, I get sudden pain in my back, legs and feel very tired. All the symptoms of this stomach infection is awful and I feel hungry even after eating substantial meal. I have lost 3-4 kgs in last 4 months. Elevated D-Dimer is worrying me. I hope I don't have cancer. I am 27 and I don't want to have serious ailments like cancer. Does anyone have elevated D-Dimer levels with heliocbacter infection? Please let me know...My doctor has told me that D-Dimer is a very non-specific test and can be elevated due to infections and various other reasons. In my case she thinks its because of Helicobacter Pylori infection. Hope we all feel better soon....God Bless!
  • I've been the same for months now, also having spacey, sugar rush episodes with shakes and confusion, with overwhelming "I have to eat something NOW" hunger pains that are'nt easily satisfied, trying to pinpoint what may be the cause, I looked at my diet and I noticed that I was eating too much carb and sugar and not enough protein, for breakfast I was having rice cereal with sugar and soya milk with added calcium, then prunes, mid morning muffin or cream cake, then I was having potatoes and bread for lunch with cake or biscuit or chocolate bar, then another carb laden snack mid afternoon, dinner also had too many carbs in the form of potatoes, rice or pasta, but also had protein along with 3 veg, then "hungry" again, even though I was full of "food", so would have another inappropriate snack or more cereal and still go to bed feeling "hungry" and nauseous. So I have been having more protein and curbed my carb intake, having the same amount as protein on my plate. For breakfast I've been having good quality butchers sausages, free range eggs, tomatoes and 1 slice of home made bread followd by prunes. For lunch, 1 protein sandwich, or a salad with chicken or ham, for dinner equal portions of carbs and protein with plenty of veg. Notice no snackattacks. So far, so good. Hope this helps.
  • hi, same here, need some help if possible, I have had nausea for over a week now which is not going away, only when I eat, on and off pelvic pain or lower abdominal pain, not sure which, and mild lower back pain, I had diarrhea for one day and now that has stopped, more worried about the continuous nausea, can anyone help, getting really worried now, have take two pregnancy tests and both negative, thanks in advance, sue
    minime 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi all--am going through the same thing! I haven't noticed it correlated with my period at all, but it comes and goes. I've felt for the past week that I'm about to throw up, but then it feels like it's just trapped air bubbles that need to get out. This throwing up feeling just comes out of the clear blue. Tonight I also had chills associated with it. This is very scary because I'm very afraid of throwing up. I also have a 'knot' like feeling in the center of my upper stomach right below the rib cage. It feels as if my stomach needs to growl like it's hungry, but it won't. I can't tell if I'm hungry or about to be sick. This is very annoying and I often wonder if that knot in my stomach is because I'm just stressing myself out about the whole thing. I'm only 21 though! I unfortunately assume the worst in these kind of situations and get to worrying about something horrible like an infection, cancer, or the like. :(
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hi. I am also going through the same symptoms. I am also a medical scientist thus have researched the matter extensively. It seems to me that we are all female and we are all of a reproductive age (in our 20-30s)? Often these symptoms can be just caused by ovulation however we all seem to be having prolonged periods of it. I was just wondering if most people were using the pill or not? I have recently gone off the pill and thought it may be due to changing hormone levels? I doubt it would be due to where you are in the world as you mainly all seem to be US/ Canadian wheras Im Australian. Has anyone had any liver function tests done? It seemed to start with me after a big night a few weeks ago...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 24, 2008
    • 02:21 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Everything everyone is saying is exactly what I'm going through! 23 years old here, 2 days ago I awoke from a deep sleep with very intense lower back pains. They lasted all day and into the night. The pain made me feel nauseous all day. Then yesterday I started my period. So at first I though "OHHH okay" my back didn't hurt but I had pretty bad cramps. AND THEN.... HORRIBLE hunger pains quickly followed by a nauseous feeling. I get so hungry and my stomach is screaming "EAT" then almost immediately feel sick and the mere thought of food makes me want to vomit. I get very loud rumbling sounds and I've felt bloated and thought maybe just gas was trapped cause when I burp I feel a little bit better. But it doesnt last long. Before I googled my symptoms I started thinking maybe I had endometriosis. There's a history of it in my family and the nausea and back aches and painful periods could be caused by it. But sounds like most of you arn't getting your periods, while I still got mine. Has anyone experienced cramps during sex (also a symptom of endometriosis)? I haven't even thought about having sex since feeling like this, but maybe it's all linked together. Just wondering. I've never experienced this before and it's only been a few days! I can't imagine how I can continue living a normal life if this continues. The answer has to be out there somewhere.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 26, 2008
    • 06:28 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Same issues but I am 45 male diabetic. for these issues havint to enter a security tab is not nice
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 2, 2008
    • 05:11 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i'm having the same symptoms. it has been like this for about two weeks now... i can't get over how HUNGRY i feel... but i can't bring myself to eat. i feel like it won't stay down. i don't get my period regularly... the last time i had it was about seven months ago... i'm active and i have depression, so it pretty much postpones it for, what seems like forever! (haha) i'm 20 years old. i've cut out pop and other caffeines from my diet, so i would sleep better. ever since i've started this, the pain has been so much worse. i also feel better after i pass gas... but it's not like you can sit there and demand it to happen... right?? i am VERY stressed lately, so i don't know if that makes the stomach pain worse or not... if any of you are still experiencing this pain, please let me know, maybe we can figure out what we all have in common... it could range from what we eat, to our sexual lives, to even where we work. please let me know if you find any other solutions to the pain =(thanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 11, 2008
    • 01:26 PM
    Flag this Response
  • All these symptoms sound all too familiar, but I am 44 yr-old male; I've had under-active thyroid for a few years and use a CPAP (I am not fat but have a slightly elevated body mass index; I am atypical apnic). Several weeks ago I started feeling that odd little butterfly stomach feeling and occassional discomfort. I have been taking ground flax seed for a while, when all of a sudden about a week ago I had severe stomach pain, bloating, cramps. If spiders were half-inch balls of steel wool with needles for legs and you hammered a hundred into my stomach, that should give you an idea how it felt. I know for sure now that the flax seed triggers it, but flax used to do absolutely nothing. I do not know if flax is just an innocent bystander to the stomach issues or if it figures in. Either way, I still don't feel right and have all the symptomes others are complaining: stomach ache, gassy, high-up stomach pain under the ribs, acidy-feeling knot in lower throat, intestinal discomfort.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 14, 2008
    • 06:11 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My friend had most of these symptoms. Turned out to be gall stones she had her gall bladder removed and is generally fine.I have the same symptoms however and my gall bladder is fine. Just feel sick, sore and gassy alot of the time.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 16, 2008
    • 07:52 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I've been experiencing the same symtoms. Where I feel hungry and nauseas at the same time. It seems to come and go like a knot in my stomach. I am 27 and a coffee drinker. I have also noticed more gas than I used to get. I am also on the pill. Thinking that it has to do with the pill? Have been on the pill for almost a year. Have only been experiencing this issue about a month. IT does not seem to be associated with being around my period. Since I am on the pill I have continued to get a small period. I see this thread has been around a while.. has anyone figured out whats wrong?Thanks,experiencing issue right now
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 17, 2008
    • 04:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey everyone. I have kind of had the same thing. Constant nausea and hunger for over a week now. Always feel better when im laying down than up and about. The nausea has only made me actually vomit a couple times, and most was dry heaves. Burping seems to help somewhat. I have also had a lot of trouble sleeping.I was researching this (how i found this board) and i found this:Now i havent been to the doctor, but this sounds a lot like what you all have been describing.Symptoms of Gastroenteritis:Nausea Vomiting Diarrhea Abdominal pain Weakness Loss of appetite Fever Tiredness Muscle aches Headache Dehydration Just thought id throw that out there, hope it helps.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 25, 2008
    • 00:26 PM
    Flag this Response
  • tapeworm seems to be kind of accurate from what you described.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 5, 2008
    • 07:02 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement