Discussions By Condition: Knee conditions

swollen behind left knee

Posted In: Knee conditions 11 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • March 6, 2007
  • 10:47 PM

Hi, my first time up and could do with some help. My left knee has swollen up and there is swelling behind the knee, it feels sort of fuzzy and throbs -aches a lot - not direct pain but is uncomfortable when sitting particularly at the computer. It came on gradually over a few days and I've tried ibuforen but no help. Any body out there with similar problems or an idea of what it could be?

Reply Flag this Discussion

11 Replies:

• Did you ever get your problem figured out? I seem to be having the same issue as you...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Have you gotten checked for a Baker's Cyst. They usualy are associated with swelling in the back of the knee. They can and sometimes will not be painful.painintheknee:D
    painintheknee 4 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi,I can see this is a message from sometime ago, but i have just this minute got back from the doctor and hospital, with this exact problem. I have to go in for a scan as they think that it is a cyst and may have to be drained, or operated on. It is painful for me to sit and lie down.Aparently they can sometimes burst of there own accord, which i hope didn't happen to you as that would be extremely painful.get it checked out if you havent already.All the best.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 16, 2008
    • 02:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi,I have swellings behind both knees and was diagnosed by ultra/ sound with a Bakers cyst 3 years ago and at first it gave me no problems but not now as it becomes quiet painful and often have referred pain into my foot and toes..:eek: and sometimes it just aches.They are "supposed" :confused:to be a painless cyst contaning fluid.can cause a lot of discomfort and pain and a feeling of tightness when bending your knee.Yes it can be drained but will often reappear.They are considered a symptom re a problem within the knee itself.I would ask for an u/sound ...Mim
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 8, 2008
    • 03:42 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been suffered with my problem for two months. My have leg swell's and also I fell something like a lump rolling in the back of both of my knee's. My kee's pop some time, mostly my right knee, but I feel something in the back of both knees. When sitting for a long period it stiff up. When I wake up in the morning my leg be sore. Now my left calf is very sore, like I been jogging are doing some strenous exercise. I think it might be a baker cyst's and one on the left side has burst and drained to my calf cause it to be very sore.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have been suffered with my problem for two months. My have leg swell's and also I fell something like a lump rolling in the back of both of my knee's. My kee's pop some time, mostly my right knee, but I feel something in the back of both knees. When sitting for a long period it stiff up. When I wake up in the morning my leg be sore. Now my left calf is very sore, like I been jogging are doing some strenous exercise. I think it might be a baker cyst's and one on the left side has burst and drained to my calf cause it to be very sore.Hi, for last 2 weeks I have had sorness behind my left knee...I have had it before but it always went away...my left leg...feels funny....like its fighting something off..the pain is not bad...just behind my knee feels heavy...I will be going to the doc. on Monday. I hope I do not get the run around. I feel that docs. now days rush to much...and many things are missed. wish me luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 4, 2008
    • 11:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • :confused: Hi, well fist time using the computer for answers....Docs. are always in a rush now...behind my left knee feels sore....kinda a sometimes throbbing it is a ache kind of pain.. On Monday I will call and see if I can get to my Doc..The last two weeks I have this...before it was once in awhile I would get it....Just sitting here typing feels like something is there...If anyone can help that would be great.Thanks
    kittiekat 1 Replies
    • October 4, 2008
    • 11:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Many, many years ago I had all the same symptoms. However, mine turned out to be a benign tumor. It had started out as a sore calf muscle and when biopsied the doctor incorrectly diagnosed it as being torn muscle tissue. Two years later I discovered the lump behind my knee. By that time the tumor was throughout my leg, from heel of my foot up into the buttock. The finger-like tumor had wrapped itself around the major nerves in my leg. Take every symptom seriously and have it checked out.
    imgamehere 15 Replies
    • October 31, 2008
    • 02:54 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, I am currently waiting on an op on my left knee. iI had an MRI scan which showed a massive tera of the knee Cartlige, a sist behind the knee and because I have been playing footballOn it for the past 6 months since the injury had happened there is degenerate damage to the knee itself. The pain is all over the knee, sometimes runs down the outside left side of my left leg and up the inside grooin ofThe left leg. I played football today and bent the knee beyond it's capabillity, it hurt like ***l but after it my knee feels amazing, just like new. Do you think the sist could have burst? The Surgeon says the sist is a direct result from the tear in the cartlige.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 4, 2010
    • 10:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I understand that when a cyst bursts, it is extremely painful, not the other way around. Maybe you stretched the muscle or some tissue inside that had been constricted somehow and it is now back to its normal position or size.
    imgamehere 15 Replies
    • September 8, 2010
    • 01:11 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, my first time up and could do with some help. My left knee has swollen up and there is swelling behind the knee, it feels sort of fuzzy and throbs -aches a lot - not direct pain but is uncomfortable when sitting particularly at the computer. It came on gradually over a few days and I've tried ibuforen but no help. Any body out there with similar problems or an idea of what it could be?I had exactly the same problem, it started with a swelling behind my knee and it got bigger! I could feel it and you could see it also. it would throb and ache, walkind was agony and I could not walk far without aid. Then one day I got up off the sofa and something in my leg 'popped' I thaught it was just my knee clicking as I have had that before and thaught nothing of it.... I went to my G.P. who confirmed 'Bakers knee'. And it had burst that was the click or popping. Its better now, although I am left with some slight discomfort aat the back of the knee where the 'cyst' was when I walk. But I find the more I walk and exercise it goes. Maybe get it checked out it could be 'Bakers knee', it's a cyst behind the knee my G.P. said I have never heard of it before then!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 13, 2010
    • 08:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement