Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Excessive Underarm sweating

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 12 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • March 5, 2007
  • 03:00 AM

I'm 19 years of age and i weight 130 lbs, andmedium built. For some reason i constantly sweat. Even during the winter months my shirts have the sweatstains. I can never wear a white shirt, by the end of the day under my arms is a big yellow stain. I have tried everyting, changed deodorant/anti-perspirants and everything.. please help i could use some suggestions

Reply Flag this Discussion

12 Replies:

• mmm i think if its really ap roblem u can talk to your doctor and u can maybe get botox injections into your armpits. u have to stress how much its interfereing with your life though or they will just prescribe you some certain dri or whatever.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I had that same problem for a very long time. I researched it on the internet and found out it is called hyperhidrosis. I did find the botox injections recommended, however those are very expensive. Before you go that extreme I highly recommend you try Certain Dri. I found it al Walmart. You put it on at night and IT WORKS. It does sting a little, but it's definitly worth it. I only have to use it once a week. If you can't find that, try Maxim on the internet (it's basically the same thing). Hope that helps!!
  • Ceryain Dri is the best. I no longer have to worry about sweaty underarms.
  • It can also be part of a bigger picture. Excessive sweating is a symptom of Hyperthyroidism too. You might want to research the other symptoms and signs at http://thyroid.about.com/
  • Dear Excessive Sweating: I have just run across this forum so in the four months since your original posting I hope you have found a solution to your problem. But if not, I'll add a few thoughts. You do not say whether your armpits are the only place you sweat. If all the other areas where sweat glands are present (palms, soles,face, chest and many other areas of the skin are also involved then Dxd is right, you need to be evaluated for a systemic disorder (generalized hyperhidrosis), not just an armpit problem (focal hyperhidrosis). Fortunately those disorders are rare. Assuming we are dealing just with the armpits there are three avenues of approach: 1) Topical - medicine applied to the skin. The anti-perspirant in most of the common deodorants is one or a combination of two aluminum compounds. The FDA requires that in order to be labeled an anti-perspirant a product must reduce perspiration by only 25%. That is clearly not going to help in your case. It is not economical for companies to add more anti-perspirant ingredients than they absolutely need to so the products you have tried had much the same effectiveness and will fail. The FDA will allow for higher concentrations and there are two products available: Certain Dri which is available OTC and which I am certain will fail because of its relatively weaker strength, and prescription DrySol which is 20% aluminum chloride, the strongest available and which might help. Do not cover the skin after application with plastic wrap as some people advise as this will increase the chance of skin irritation. This is not a cure, just a longer lasting product.After the DrySol dries you may apply some Zeosorb powder to the area or wait until you start to sweat again. Zeasorb is very effective in absorbing moisture because the special nature of the particle size. 2) Nerve block - Here's where botox comes in. It is injected into the sweat glands feeding that area and can stop the sweating for up to 6 months. It is very safe if done by an experienced physician but also very expensive. 3) Electrical - I bring this up only to discourage its use for armpits. This is a procedure called Drionics which we use frequently for hands and feet but feel it is not safe for armpits. 4) Nerve root destruction - This is an invasive surgical procedure into the chest to destroy the nerve roots which control the sweat glands. There are even hospitals which say they specialize in this operation and advertise online. This would be an absolute last resort and should be done only after discussion with a counselor. Best of Luck/ Dr. J.
    Doctor J. 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • My son had this when he was in his late teens. He went to a dermatologist and they gave him some cream that he placed in his arm pits. It stopped the excessive sweating like a charm. He eventually grew out of the issue probably within a year and no longer required the cream. Don't suffer. It's an easy fix.
    suzQ2day 6 Replies Flag this Response
  • mmm i think if its really ap roblem u can talk to your doctor and u can maybe get botox injections into your armpits. u have to stress how much its interfereing with your life though or they will just prescribe you some certain dri or whatever.Yes because that will really treat the CAUSE of the problem. I would suggest you go and have your hormones checked, your adrenals checked and other things before you put a toxin (which is what botox is) into your body. A naturopathic doctor will help you find out WHY you sweat and not treat that. Thus your sweating will go away. That is better than just covering it up.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 2, 2008
    • 03:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Can someone please tell me how much the Botox injections will cost in South Africa???
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 10, 2008
    • 08:15 AM
    Flag this Response
  • No but I bet they're expensive.This guy who did the original post hasn't responded in over a year,so why is it stii on here?
    richard wayne2b 1,232 Replies
    • December 30, 2008
    • 01:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • For all with this problem, I am going to change your life. I had this same problem for over a year, just started out of nowhere and was non stop. I would be cold and still sweating, nothing helped...no over the counter ANYTHING would work. I heard about and went to Amazon.com and ordered a product called DRYSOL....I am telling you, I used it for two days and have not sweat a drop. I play 2 hours of full court basketball twice a week and not a drop underarms. If you do not spend the $16 on this product then you do not care to change your life. it will stain your shirt if you wear one to bed, apply before going to bed, dry and you are done. It may sting the first use or two but other then that not a problem. Use daily until sweating stops and then only once or twice a week from that point on. Now, you can be happy, this product works and your life has just been changed.
  • I'm 19 years of age and i weight 130 lbs, andmedium built. For some reason i constantly sweat. Even during the winter months my shirts have the sweatstains. I can never wear a white shirt, by the end of the day under my arms is a big yellow stain. I have tried everyting, changed deodorant/anti-perspirants and everything.. please help i could use some suggestionsokay, i have that problem right now also, and I'm about tthe same as you- a little heavyier though...i don't really think it's that bad, but it's definitely getting to be noticeable-have you tried "certain dri" yet- and was it worth it?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 27, 2009
    • 03:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Can someone please tell me how much the Botox injections will cost in South Africa???Most reputable practitioners and aesthetic clinics charge by the unit of Botox, so the total cost depends on how much and how many areas you'll be having treated. The cost of Botox also varies as some patients require more Botox in each area because of gender differences, muscle mass differences etc. When phoning around to compare Botox prices, it is important that the clinic quotes the amount of Botox units you will be receiving if they quote per area. It is best to compare the price per unit as the clinic may quote you R900 per area but only inject 15 units in that one area- a suboptimal doseespecially for the glabellar area- (the “ 11 ” area on the forehead) . If suboptimal doses are given, the duration of effect of the Botox will be much shorter than the usual 3 to 4 months. The more units are given, the longer the duration effect of the Botox. Botox Melbourne Australia
    skipper386 1 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement