Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Pain on Right side of face & Head

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 20 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • March 1, 2007
  • 09:19 PM

Hi all,
I am new to this forum.I have pain below the angle of mandible on right side & this pain goes up to whole right side of head & neck & sometimes upper back too(right side).Pain never crosses over to involve left side of head.it just stops right in the middle of head.Also, there is a slight swelling on right side of face.It has been going on for 1 year & 3 months.

The pain is intermittent.Sometimes it is gone for months together & when it's here, it's stay for days.I have difficulty in opening mouth to its full extent,sometimes pain during eating.Most of the times it is a dull pain with feeling if pressure.Sometimes I even have a sharp shooting pain going up to the head in temporal bone area(above the ear)
I have been through xray, scan & doctor doesnot feel the need for MRI.
There have been countless visits to physician & 2 to ENT doctor, who fails to find anything.
Help me out...if someone had similar pain.

Reply Flag this Discussion

20 Replies:

• Have someone smack you in the left side to even things out.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • could be cancer.
  • Here are some similar things:TMJ, Temporal Arteritis, Bells Palsy. Your docs have probably already checked these?
  • You have Trigeminal neuralgia. May be associated with HHV1 or HHV3. Txt includes acyclovir at first appearance of sx, consider chronic suppressive therapy w/ acyclovir or valtrex. for pain, elavil, neurontin, opioids as last resort
  • I agree with the Trigeminal Neurolgia. My grandmother and a friend had the same thing. Very painful at times, but there is help good luck. They have started suggesting Botox.
  • I agree with the Trigeminal Neurolgia. My grandmother and a friend had the same thing. Very painful at times, but there is help good luck. They have started suggesting Botox.I agree.. botox will fix anything. Nothing like botulism to fix your problems.
  • Could be Lyme or other tick co infections. Mri would help, may show some lesions. Many times tick born infections can be one sided. good luck.
  • Get the botox injections.. I had the same problem and botox fixed me right up.. botulism cures everything.
  • You have Trigeminal neuralgia. May be associated with HHV1 or HHV3. Txt includes acyclovir at first appearance of sx, consider chronic suppressive therapy w/ acyclovir or valtrex. for pain, elavil, neurontin, opioids as last resortYou probably do have trigeminal neuralgia. but it is not associated with HHV and acyclovir will not help. I tried it. what works great is gabapentin (neurontin). ask your doctor to prescribe it.
  • Lupa? that only happens on right side
  • Try getting some smack and mix it with the botox. Than inject it rectally, that should fix you right up.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• After reading most of the flippant, stupid unhelpful comments on here, i think you'd be better off ignoring it and going somewhere reputable.I have TMJ problems - have you looked into that? (put TMJ or TMD into a google search). Good luck.
    sympathetic 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi all,I am new to this forum.I have pain below the angle of mandible on right side & this pain goes up to whole right side of head & neck & sometimes upper back too(right side).Pain never crosses over to involve left side of head.it just stops right in the middle of head.Also, there is a slight swelling on right side of face.It has been going on for 1 year & 3 months.The pain is intermittent.Sometimes it is gone for months together & when it's here, it's stay for days.I have difficulty in opening mouth to its full extent,sometimes pain during eating.Most of the times it is a dull pain with feeling if pressure.Sometimes I even have a sharp shooting pain going up to the head in temporal bone area(above the ear)I have been through xray, scan & doctor doesnot feel the need for MRI.There have been countless visits to physician & 2 to ENT doctor, who fails to find anything.Help me out...if someone had similar pain.This sounds just like TMJ of the Jaw.....look it up
  • You have Trigeminal neuralgia. May be associated with HHV1 or HHV3. Txt includes acyclovir at first appearance of sx, consider chronic suppressive therapy w/ acyclovir or valtrex. for pain, elavil, neurontin, opioids as last resortNice- I thought of same condition.
    Med Student 64 Replies Flag this Response
  • Yup I have to agree to get looked at for TMJ. Btw you guys pushing Trigeminal neuralgia keep this in mind. Look for words like electric-like feeling, or sounds or touch cause the pain, the pain only last a few seconds or mins.
  • Sounds like an apsess in your tooth that is effecting the nerve.Have heard of these symptoms before.Any other person who has like symptoms, go to a dentist.
  • Hi all,I am new to this forum.I have pain below the angle of mandible on right side & this pain goes up to whole right side of head & neck & sometimes upper back too(right side).Pain never crosses over to involve left side of head.it just stops right in the middle of head.Also, there is a slight swelling on right side of face.It has been going on for 1 year & 3 months.The pain is intermittent.Sometimes it is gone for months together & when it's here, it's stay for days.I have difficulty in opening mouth to its full extent,sometimes pain during eating.Most of the times it is a dull pain with feeling if pressure.Sometimes I even have a sharp shooting pain going up to the head in temporal bone area(above the ear)I have been through xray, scan & doctor doesnot feel the need for MRI.There have been countless visits to physician & 2 to ENT doctor, who fails to find anything.Help me out...if someone had similar pain.Babesia Loves to hide in the brain neck and eyes. I have it. There are a lot of symptoms that come with it. Western Blot is the best way to find out. It comes hand and hand with lyme disease. I have both. I am blogging about it at: lymeball.comgood luck
  • I had the same pain about a year ago. It hurt under my right eye, went around my head, down into my jaw and down into my shoulder and upper back. I know this is going to sound crazy but I had tried everything from antibiotics, kenalog shots, and more. I had a ct scan went to specalist, they found nothing just keep saying sinus problems or allergies. One day I came across an article that talked about a muscle called the coat hanger muscle(there is another name for it but dont remember it) and it said if you hurt this muscle you can have all these signs. I had my husband rub my shoulder and back and he found a spot that when he touch would make me scream and almost cry. It hurt so bad, but he keep rubbing and after awhile it started feeling better. The next day I woke up with no pain. Well I started having that pain again a month ago and didnt even think about all I went through so I started back with the kenalog shot and when I didnt get better, matter of fact the pain was getting worse, I remembered what helped last year. This time the spot on my back was lower, about mid back. This time you could feel the muscle, it was about the size of a half dollar and hard, after it was rubbed and the soreness worked out all my pain was gone. The pain came back the next day and again same spot was rubbed and again the pain went away. I hope this helps someone. I know I thought something was major wrong with me and no one could find it, but just ended up I need to learn to relax and stop stressing. Seems to always happen when I am going through things and I get stressed.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 6, 2010
    • 05:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi all,I am new to this forum.I have pain below the angle of mandible on right side & this pain goes up to whole right side of head & neck & sometimes upper back too(right side).Pain never crosses over to involve left side of head.it just stops right in the middle of head.Also, there is a slight swelling on right side of face.It has been going on for 1 year & 3 months.The pain is intermittent.Sometimes it is gone for months together & when it's here, it's stay for days.I have difficulty in opening mouth to its full extent,sometimes pain during eating.Most of the times it is a dull pain with feeling if pressure.Sometimes I even have a sharp shooting pain going up to the head in temporal bone area(above the ear)I have been through xray, scan & doctor doesnot feel the need for MRI.There have been countless visits to physician & 2 to ENT doctor, who fails to find anything.Help me out...if someone had similar pain.Maybe you have tooth Problems. I have had the same sort of headaces now for months. My doctor didnt know what it was causing them i had a bad tooth for a while didnt think it could cause pain like that. But i went to my dentist he saw the problem fixed it i havent had a headache since.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 12, 2010
    • 10:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My Mom is suffering from this pain since almost 4 years. she was told she also has trigeminal Neuralgia. IT all started with a tooth extraction. She is suffering big time. she is always in pain. She had a procedure called gamaknife which didn't do anything. took Gabapentine, Nortipyline, Prednisone , Muscle relaxant and next is tigertol so lets see if this will work. So far gabapentine seems to be working little bit by like 10% reduction in pain but still in very bad pain. I really hope some miracle will happen soon and all your people will get out of this terrible pain.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 2, 2011
    • 04:20 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement