Discussions By Condition: Cardiovascular disease

Heart feels like it is going to explode.

Posted In: Cardiovascular disease 15 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • March 1, 2007
  • 00:21 PM

Hi, If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate any comments. I recently have started being unable to sleep at night. I lay down in bed, but for some reason my heart feels like it is going to explode. Now bear with me here as I don't really know how to explain this. I have no physical pain like a heart attack, but It is almost like I forget to breathe and my heart feels like it is beating really fast. I check my pulse, but it isn't beating that fast. As well you know that feeling like you are falling, it is almost like I am falling then need to catch my breath really fast. I find that it is almost like I forget to take a breath. As well just recently I have noticed that my legs started to tingle and go a little numb. As well with my arms a little bit. My legs and arms also always seem very cold when this happens. I also sometimes feel a little bit nauseas when this happens. It just feels like there is this immense pressure on my chest. Now I know this sounds like a heart attack, but again I have no sharp pains like one would think would happen in a heart attack. I am a 28 year old female and have only just recently had this happen to me. The odd part is that it only happens at night. If I lay down during the day I am ok. I really don't know what is happening to me, and like I said I can't sleep at night anymore. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much.

Reply Flag this Discussion

15 Replies:

• perhaps type in "nocturnal dyspnoea" on this site and see what comes up?Hope this helps
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Also look in to panic disorder
    kharaa 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thanks so much for the info. I will look into both of those. My Dr. did say I have classic symptoms of Panic Attacks, but my only question is why does it only happen at night? I am not too sure of that. Thanks again for your help though.
    Ladysnaps 5 Replies Flag this Response
  • is there anything you're worried about at night? you are absolutely showing the classic signs of a panic attack, i suffer from them all the time..infact the other night i thought i needed to call 911 because of thinking i had meningitis.. don't ask.get your doc to prescribe xanax or klonopin for you.
    kharaa 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • Yah I do worry about a lot at night. I have a baby that is 8 months old and I think that Post Partum Depression has set in. As well I don't live with the Father but we are together so it makes it difficult as I feel like I am doing this on my own. He is a great support, but somehow I feel so alone. My Dr. did prescribe Effexor XR and I was on that a while before I got pregnant, and it did a lot to stabilize my moods. I just am really worried about going on something while I am breastfeeding. I don't want my Daughter to see me feeling down all the time, but I don't want to affect her with the medication either. I may just have to stop breastfeeding and go on the medication as I feel that it is important for me to take care of myself. I guess I didn't realize how bad it was until it started to affect me at night. Thanks so much for writing as at least I don't feel alone in this.
    Ladysnaps 5 Replies Flag this Response
  • Post Partum Depression is called by the Omega 3 in the mother's body passing onto the baby at birth, and not enough left in your body for yourself.You can go to Walmart or anywhere else and get Omega 3 cheaply.Differant types of depression can be caused by differant things, and treated differantly. In this case, you may just need something your body is deficient in.
    Wolf Dreamer 20 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi, If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate any comments. I recently have started being unable to sleep at night. I lay down in bed, but for some reason my heart feels like it is going to explode. Now bear with me here as I don't really know how to explain this. I have no physical pain like a heart attack, but It is almost like I forget to breathe and my heart feels like it is beating really fast. I check my pulse, but it isn't beating that fast. As well you know that feeling like you are falling, it is almost like I am falling then need to catch my breath really fast. I find that it is almost like I forget to take a breath. As well just recently I have noticed that my legs started to tingle and go a little numb. As well with my arms a little bit. My legs and arms also always seem very cold when this happens. I also sometimes feel a little bit nauseas when this happens. It just feels like there is this immense pressure on my chest. Now I know this sounds like a heart attack, but again I have no sharp pains like one would think would happen in a heart attack. I am a 28 year old female and have only just recently had this happen to me. The odd part is that it only happens at night. If I lay down during the day I am ok. I really don't know what is happening to me, and like I said I can't sleep at night anymore. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.Thanks so much.This happens sometimes after i get realllllly baked.
  • I am a Cardiac Critical Care Registered Nurse and women present differently with heart attacks or chest pain. Its atypical (or not typical) then the classic signs. I would ask you if you have had anything tramatic recently happen to you? and this could be causing you to panic at night when you don't feel safe or secure, but at the same time its not normal to have your arms and legs go numb and feel cold during a panic attack. That's why it sounds like it could be Cardiac related. Even though your young its rare but it does happen in some younger people and presents around late 20's or early thirty's. Have you heard of a young man or woman just suddenly dying from a heart attack out of the blue. That does happen once in a while. I learned it in nursing school that it is rare but it happens to a small percentage of young adults. Now the signs you are describing sound like heart related symptoms becuase of the pressure on the chest, this is chest pain. People describe it as it feeling like an elephant sitting on your chest. It doesn't have to be alot of pain and the nauseas feeling is a presentation in women that are having chest pain or a heart attack. Also the major thing that sounds like cardiac is numbness and tingling and the key word for me is "COLD" extremities, that sounds like there is not enough circulation getting to your extremities. You also said you feel like you can't breath this makes since with chest pain becuase the reason you have chest pain is a lack of oxygen and a decreased blood supply (which carries the oxygen) to the heart which is a muscle. The carotid arteries (this is what supplies the heart with its blood supply and oxygen) are vasoconstricted which causes the blood pressure to go up and decreased blood supply to the heart. This also causes you to be short of breath becuase there is a decreased exchange of oxygen in the body and if your extremities are getting cold and numb that means either your body is compensating for some reason and shunting the blood closer to the heart so that the important organs can get a better blood supply or there is decreased blood supply to the extremities due to some type of blockage. I would really get this checked out and either go to the ER when this happens again or ask your primary doctor to refer you to a cardiologist so they can use a Holter moniter (it is a moniter you wear for like 24-48 or 72 hours something like that can't exactly remember how long, but it records your heart rythym while you are doing your regular activities and you write in a journal at what time you are doing what and they then compare this to the heart monitor readings/recordings) or you can have a stress test done and an EKG. I would seriously think about this cause remember I said women present with differents signs then men when having a heart attack and it would sound like panic attacks except for those numb and cold extremities that sounds Cardiac related. I would be interested to know what happened cause I see that this is a old message from 2 years ago, or if you ever had a doctor figure it out, or did it just go away. Or what happened?? Thank you. You can post your response..
  • This is most likely psychological and not a physical thing. I suggest going to your regular doctor to get anything physical ruled out just in case. If the problem persists, try talking to a close friend about what is bothering you and you might just stumble across what is keeping you from sleeping.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 4, 2009
    • 07:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks so much for the info. I will look into both of those. My Dr. did say I have classic symptoms of Panic Attacks, but my only question is why does it only happen at night? I am not too sure of that. Thanks again for your help though.It happens at night most because you are winding down from the day and thinking of all the stuff you dont realize is stressful just before you retire for sleep. Everyone does that, you just have to realize that something is scaring you other than this symptom and get to the root of the anxiety. I have the sammmmmmmme symptoms and spent lots of money thinking I was dying. Its panic disorder, take hot shower and be sure to wear yourself down for nights by staying really active during the day. Try to unpeel the layers of what your fears are and it will save you lots of money on seeing a psych. But if you cant figure out what is is thats bugging you, the doc sure can through time. You have to decide not to freak out when you notice these symptoms and jump right up and get your mind off of it and think about it when you get rested. If you wake up with same symptom, its because you are scared and having anxiety. Try to fill your day with organized planning and take it all slow so you still have a little time to process this when your feeling okay instead of while you are freaking out. You need to get some emotions out or you will create another symptom of anxiety defense called drop panic attacks. Being paralyzed with a panic attack does happen (to me) and I did it to myself by avoiding conflict and refusing to address that I had an anxiety problem long ago.Hope this helps you sweetie. Stay strong and process yourself through this, you are not going to die!! Your body is defending itself from the panic so its slowing itself down at night when you need to rest. Just let it do its job and dont overthink it. Xanax is best defense if you cannot make it stop. The doc will proudly give you some and you dont have to take it unless you need it, it works fast and its short lived without hangovers.__Here is a big Kentucky hug for you!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 14, 2009
    • 08:22 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have a relative that had a hearth attack. he is in his late 50's. He is doing fine now, but from time to time he has problems. While searching for some stuff for him I found out about some Implanted heart defibrillators that can help elderly heart attack survivors live longer. I was wondering if anybody could tell me something about this? Or if you have some other suggestions. I think his main problem is weather when it changes rapidly his mood changes also. Thank you
    Clear-sky 76 Replies
    • December 18, 2009
    • 10:58 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hey im 21 male.. my name is mike and am shorta haveing the same problem im a lil over weight but what happens to me its like am trying to sleep nd my chest goes num for like a sec nd my heart stop nd i wake up it only happens when i go to sleep during the day am fine nd i do suffer from panic attacks but diz dosrnt feel like one nd am really scared if some1 cab help me out thanks
  • hi,i live in england and i have very similar problems,occasionally my heart pounds like that and i become short on breath i find myself taking in big breaths because it feels like im not getting air,i have no coldness or numbness,also everything becomes very fast,for example if the television is on or someone is talking it feels like it has been speeded up and its quite freaky,i also get these attacks at night but i have had them on many occasions maybe once or twice a year so not very frequent,i am only 30 years old now,i dont think any of these issues are due to panicking(panic attacks)if you have found anything out would love to know
  • Look into MVP.....I have it and have similar symptoms. It's worse when you lay down
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 12, 2011
    • 06:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi

The same exact thing happens to me aswell. I'd love to know why this is happening. It just happened to me now (its 5am at the mo) and im scared to go back to sleep. Please help fast!!
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • November 15, 2014
    • 04:56 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement