Discussions By Condition: Elbow conditions

elbow pain due to fall

Posted In: Elbow conditions 11 Replies
  • Posted By: lauraann
  • February 28, 2007
  • 06:48 PM

I fell down and hurt my elbow on 2/24/07. After going to the Doctor, he told me that I had injured my ulnar. He did not send me for an X-Ray nor did he tell me how long to expect it to hurt. I called the office back asking if I should put it in a sling and the receptionist said yes without even asking the doctor. What should I do? Haven't been able to work all week because I am still in a good bit of pain. Can't seem to get a straight answer from my Dr. It seemed as if he was guessing when he diagnoised me. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reply Flag this Discussion

11 Replies:

• Hi,I just fell down the stairs a week ago and hit my elbow. I saw an orthopedic doctor who said that it was an ulnar nerve injury. You will know if you have pain in the elbow, forearm and pain/numbness/weakness into the 4th and 5th fingers, which is what I have. I am wearing a brace for 3 weeks and then will be reassessed as to the extent of the injury to the nerve. As far as a sling, the doctor said that wearing it all the time (keeping the elbow in a constantly bend position) can inhibit proper healing. However, it is VERY important to take an xray to rule out a fracture.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • i to have a similar injury i hurt it on a water slide back in janruary. i am still in pain and they are only now (may) saying it might be nerve damage. doctors!!!
  • I fell face down on a sidewalk on 11-30-2006. I knew immediately there was a major problem with my left arm. I went to an orthopaedic surgeon the next morning and he knew right away that I had broken the radial bone in my elbow. X-rays a few minutes later confirmed his diagnosis. He did put it in a sling but told me to use it as much as possible so that it would not freeze up. Six months later the bone has not healed. Next week I'm having arthorscopic surgery to "shave off" the broken part of the bone. The doctor assures me this will alleviate the pain and enable me to have full range of motion again. I hope so. I tired of this pain.
  • I got hurt on a water slide about a month ago, and I hit my elbow pretty hard. It hurt so bad that it ruined the rest of my day, and it was swollen and a little bruised. I don't think it is swollen any more, but it is completely numb to touch however if I bump it on something it burns and aches so bad!!!! It doesn't hurt to move my arm, so everyone around me tells me it is nothing to worry about b/c I can move my arm, but it is still really bothering me. I can't go to a doctor right now, it will probably 2 or 3 more weeks before I can get to one. Any suggestions would be helpful
  • hi...um I was in a car accident and broke my elbow and wrist. I had a cast for 3 weeks and it's been like 6 months since it happened but now I can't straigten my arm...I was wondering if anyone knew a way to fix it...thanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 10, 2007
    • 01:21 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Funny story, I was walking out of my class when the bell rang and there at the other end of the hall was my friend. I decided to run up to her and pretend to kick her. So I ran full speed towards her and I stopped about 5 feet from her. But the problem is that I was wearing flip flops and those have not grip. So back I flew and I landed on my elbow before anything else. It hurt so much. So I just got up, laughed it off and went to my next class. Thats when it really started to hurt, I was near tears. So I left class with my friend and went to the doctors. The doc said it wsnt broken but might be fractured. So the next day I got Xrays and it showed nothing. But that was 9 moths ago and my elbow is so sensitive. I cant put pressure on it or it feels like im hitting my funny bone, it sucks, and I dont know why it still does that.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 27, 2007
    • 07:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hi...um I was in a car accident and broke my elbow and wrist. I had a cast for 3 weeks and it's been like 6 months since it happened but now I can't straigten my arm...I was wondering if anyone knew a way to fix it...thanks I fell on steps at the end of April - Fractured the humerus and shattered my elbow. Had a 5 hr. surgery plates, screws, and 3/4ths of my elbow is made of metal. Can't straighten my arm either - I have about 5" of bend and that's it. Now my doc wants me to go for another opinion with one of his buddies and have another surgery. I really don't feel like going thru all the pain, pt and difficulty with healing and doing ordinary things again- just when I'm getting used to doing things my way. It has been 5 months and my doc won't say I have a disability from workmans comp. That's crazy.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 27, 2010
    • 00:53 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I hurt my elbow in Oct of 2009 and I went to the ER, The doctor said I broke my redial bone. Three days later I had a follow up apt with a bone doctor who took of my cast and put it in a sling and said move it as much as possible. To this day, 3/16/2011 I can not extend my arm or bend it all the way. Most movements hurt it and now my wrist and fingers hurt. I have no insurance so I cant really go back. But I dont want my arm to stay like this forever, How did they know you need surgery, More xrays ?
  • Im surprised to read the stories here of those with breaks who werent put in plaster or only in plaster for a few days. My daughter when come down the wrong way on the trampoline and broke a piece of the bone on the end of her elbow (where the growth plate is.. which did cause a little concern). It didnt give a great amount of pain (just some pain.. she didnt cry) but it was an abnormal lump and she wasnt moving it about due to it being painful so I took her to the doctors who send her for xrays and kept her in hospital It was a break and she was sent to surgery and had her elbow put in plaster.. i cant remember how long she was in it now but it was I think 4weeks (maybe a little longer). She was about 10? or 11? at the time. Her arm when it come out of plaster was fully good and she didnt loose any movement range.
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies Flag this Response
  • A few days ago I fell extremely ******n my elbow and an hour later it had swelled and i was in extreme pain so we went to the hospital and an xray ruled out fracture. The doctor said it was a bruise/sprain and also said something about my tendon but was extremely vague. He gave me a sling and said i'd have to wear it for a few days until it didn't hurt anymore. However, two days later I cannot fully straighten or bend my arm. I'm worried about nerve damage, but I don't know much about that.
  • i fell down the stairs from the top step and hit my elbow on all the steps the tingling whent but the pain weakness and numness never went and my pearents and doctors say that it is badly burised and reading about the painj i was having in my elbow i now know what it is only cos i read about it i would read about it before going to the doctor
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement