Discussions By Condition: Sleep disorders

strange sensations while falling asleep

Posted In: Sleep disorders 4 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 28, 2007
  • 06:09 PM

I'm 34yrs old and was diagnosed with epilepsy as a teenager. In my early twenties I was also diagnosed with a heart condition that can cause irregular heart beats and suddend cardiac arrest - which is what happened to me. This condition is called LongQT syndrome. I have since been taking depakote and atenolol for these conditions for almost all my life.
My seizures were always at night and since my heart condition was diagnosed are less than once a year.
So, I can't really decide what or where what I'm feeling at night is coming from a condition or maybe a side effect of a medication.
I start to fall asleep as always. But what seems like the second I start to dream I will be woken up by this sensation of electric shock running accross my skin starting at my neck or in my head. Sometimes it's worse than that, I'll hear a loud crack or snapping sound followed by this strange sensation rushing over my body. It has made me nauseous and dizzy in extreme cases.
This will happen some nights over and over more than ten or twenty times. It's very frightening, and has been going on for about three months every night to some degree! I'm not sure if it's even related to my heart or brain. I've seen my cardiologist and neruologist and they did a 24hr EKG and a sleep depravation EEG that came back with nothing. I'm on a higher dose of depekote for seizures but it hasen't helped anything. I'm starting a sleep medication soon prescribed by my cario doc but no one really has a clue how to help me! I have come across a few things online where people called it "exploding head" or hypno-something that supposedly happens as you fall asleep. But no one really has any solutions, and doctors don't seem to have any idea.
Please please, if anyone has any ideas HELP!

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• It's called "sleep starts" but I think the medical term might be myoclonus. It's a form of seizures that only happen somewhere in the sleep phases. I have fibromyalgia and most of us have had this going on for quite some time. my tests always come back normal. With any condition it usually takes patience to find a med or a combo of meds that will work for you and what works for one person is different for someone else. Leaves you feeling pretty exhausted as you're never getting to the restorative sleep phase.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • hi..I read your post and am relieved to find out that Im not the only one experiencing this. This started a month ago. The moment when im falling asleep, into unconsiousness, i Get this sudden shock all over my body , that just startles me and wakes me from sleep immediatly. And my heart starts racing but slows down about 20 secs after that "shock"..I also have trouble staying asleep, maybe even insomnia, b/c i wake up in the early morning hours and have trouble falling back to sleep. My sleep is also filled with dreams. What is this called and is there any medication to stop it?
  • Dear 3-23-2007,You are describing not a sleep disorder but a perfectly natural body function called hypnic ***k. You are fine.Dear PY123,I have the same thing. I can only describe it as a slow "rush" feeling accompanied by a ringing in my ears, that only happens when I am extremely tired or falling asleep. Maybe I am epileptic like you, but I will need testing. I am a 16 year old male in good physical condition. I look forward to more contributions on this issue.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 25, 2009
    • 11:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am 36 and just started getting these sensations throughout my body from time to time while falling asleep. After looking up hypnic ***k it doesn't seem to be that. It's not that I moving but receiving a slightly numbing sensation with a shock and rapid heart rate after. I am worried that it might be a sign of heart problems. I hope that it is as simple as hypnic ***k...Dear 3-23-2007,You are describing not a sleep disorder but a perfectly natural body function called hypnic ***k. You are fine.Dear PY123,I have the same thing. I can only describe it as a slow "rush" feeling accompanied by a ringing in my ears, that only happens when I am extremely tired or falling asleep. Maybe I am epileptic like you, but I will need testing. I am a 16 year old male in good physical condition. I look forward to more contributions on this issue.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement