Discussions By Condition: Urinary conditions

Severe back pain after being diagnosed with a UTI

Posted In: Urinary conditions 3 Replies
  • Posted By: Lilliania
  • July 18, 2011
  • 00:14 PM

I've had UTIs before, once I got antibiotics for, twice they went away after a dew days. But a few days ago I started to get one again and I was really hesitant to go to the doctor, so I thought I'd see if it went away. After a couple days I tried drinking cranberry juice as it hadn't gone away yet. A couple days after that I decided to go to the doctor, and today I went and he confirmed I had a UTI and put me on Alprim. That was about 6 hours ago but almost as soon as I had left the doctors I started getting sharp pain in my lower left back, just under the ribs. Then it got more and more painful. Now it's spread to my side too and it's creeping down my left groin. It's pretty intense pain and I can't take any more pain killers.
Should I be concerned? Obviously the antibiotics aren't in effect yet, so will they fix this pain? Or is this a sign of something more serious.
Side note: the pain keeps making me almost gag every now and then. But I know what kidney stones are and are like and I'm 99.99% sure it's not that as it's not THAT painful.

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

• I've had UTIs before, once I got antibiotics for, twice they went away after a dew days. But a few days ago I started to get one again and I was really hesitant to go to the doctor, so I thought I'd see if it went away. After a couple days I tried drinking cranberry juice as it hadn't gone away yet. A couple days after that I decided to go to the doctor, and today I went and he confirmed I had a UTI and put me on Alprim. That was about 6 hours ago but almost as soon as I had left the doctors I started getting sharp pain in my lower left back, just under the ribs. Then it got more and more painful. Now it's spread to my side too and it's creeping down my left groin. It's pretty intense pain and I can't take any more pain killers. Should I be concerned? Obviously the antibiotics aren't in effect yet, so will they fix this pain? Or is this a sign of something more serious.Side note: the pain keeps making me almost gag every now and then. But I know what kidney stones are and are like and I'm 99.99% sure it's not that as it's not THAT painful.Obviously, the urinary infection penetrated into kidneys and caused inflammation in your kidneys."so will they fix this pain?" - maybe not. depends on many factors, for example, immune system status, bacterial resistance/tolerance to this antibiotics, etc. Unfortunately, there is a probability that you still be having kidneys lesion after usage of the antibiotics. Did your doctors tell this?My medical advice: keep your sight on the back issues like disc herniation/protrusion. The probability of these problems is very high after serious urinary diseases/infections. Very possible you have this problem now already or face this problem in the future, do MRI of lumbar area of your spinal column each year.
    alltimatehelp 128 Replies Flag this Response
  • Obviously, the urinary infection penetrated into kidneys and caused inflammation in your kidneys."so will they fix this pain?" - maybe not. depends on many factors, for example, immune system status, bacterial resistance/tolerance to this antibiotics, etc. Unfortunately, there is a probability that you still be having kidneys lesion after usage of the antibiotics. Did your doctors tell this?My medical advice: keep your sight on the back issues like disc herniation/protrusion. The probability of these problems is very high after serious urinary diseases/infections. Very possible you have this problem now already or face this problem in the future, do MRI of lumbar area of your spinal column each year. So your advice would be go back to the doctor? I'm at work and I feel quite sick, my back hurts alot. I had a mild temperature last night but I don't think I have one today. If the pain keeps going like this I don't think I can stand much longer at work and if you don't think it's going to go away...
    Lilliania 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • So your advice would be go back to the doctor? I'm at work and I feel quite sick, my back hurts alot. I had a mild temperature last night but I don't think I have one today. If the pain keeps going like this I don't think I can stand much longer at work and if you don't think it's going to go away...Sorry, your symptoms - back pain in kidneys and fever point out that your body is in critical sick "mode" fighting against infection. It seems that prescribed antibiotics do not help. I think it is reasonable to visit doctor and talk to him about what to do next. From my practice, in similar situations, if your body (immune system) is capable to supress infection, it may take a week or several weeks without any medical help, but sequences may be bad. In some cases when immunity is strong, there are no damage, but when immune response is weak, it is very possible that the kidneys will be affected.
    alltimatehelp 128 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement