Discussions By Condition: Hair conditions

Crawling, itchy feeling on scalp, not lice

Posted In: Hair conditions 1 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • July 12, 2011
  • 08:58 PM

Hello,

I hope someone here can help me. I'm getting desperate. I'm a female in my late 30s. I have this weird problem with my scalp, and no doctor can find anything wrong. It's driving me crazy.

The best way to describe it, once in a while I feel like something is crawling on my head. Usually it's the top back of my head but I've gotten it in other spots too.

Before I go on, please don't say lice - I've had lice as a kid, twice. I know all about them, and I've already checked for them. My hair is short so it's easy to make sure. I've had these symptoms for close to two years now, but the other 3 people in my household are fine (and my kids get lice checkups at school every week).

My hair and scalp are completely clean. I don't have dandruff or any strange rashes, bumps, etc., either. Some days I don't feel any itching at all. Other days it's bothering me constantly. Sometimes it's not just my scalp but the sides of my face, my neck, and ears, like little hairs or spiderwebs tickling me, except there's nothing there. The weirdest part is that it mostly happens when I'm at home. Whenever I'm outside or indoors but not in my house, my head feels normal. Also it doesn't bother me at night at all. It's like someone switches it off the moment I get into bed.

It usually gets worse on hot days, or right before it's time to wash my hair. Washing it helps, but at this point I'm washing it every other day, and I don't want to get to the point where I'm doing it every single day, which I heard isn't healthy.

Could this be psychological? Hormonal? Could dust mites cause this? Other mites?

Please help me out, any ideas and theories are welcome. Thank you.

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

• I'm not sure what it is, but I am going through the same thing.
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • October 8, 2014
    • 01:48 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement