Discussions By Condition: Hair conditions

Crawling, itchy feeling on scalp, not lice

Posted In: Hair conditions 36 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • July 12, 2011
  • 08:58 PM

Hello,

I hope someone here can help me. I'm getting desperate. I'm a female in my late 30s. I have this weird problem with my scalp, and no doctor can find anything wrong. It's driving me crazy.

The best way to describe it, once in a while I feel like something is crawling on my head. Usually it's the top back of my head but I've gotten it in other spots too.

Before I go on, please don't say lice - I've had lice as a kid, twice. I know all about them, and I've already checked for them. My hair is short so it's easy to make sure. I've had these symptoms for close to two years now, but the other 3 people in my household are fine (and my kids get lice checkups at school every week).

My hair and scalp are completely clean. I don't have dandruff or any strange rashes, bumps, etc., either. Some days I don't feel any itching at all. Other days it's bothering me constantly. Sometimes it's not just my scalp but the sides of my face, my neck, and ears, like little hairs or spiderwebs tickling me, except there's nothing there. The weirdest part is that it mostly happens when I'm at home. Whenever I'm outside or indoors but not in my house, my head feels normal. Also it doesn't bother me at night at all. It's like someone switches it off the moment I get into bed.

It usually gets worse on hot days, or right before it's time to wash my hair. Washing it helps, but at this point I'm washing it every other day, and I don't want to get to the point where I'm doing it every single day, which I heard isn't healthy.

Could this be psychological? Hormonal? Could dust mites cause this? Other mites?

Please help me out, any ideas and theories are welcome. Thank you.

Reply Flag this Discussion

36 Replies:

• I was hoping that someone posted a reply to this post regarding the itchy scalp, but no lice. I have the exact same problem. I am pretty desperate to get to the bottom of this & figure out why I get this crawly itchy feeling, not only on my head but on my face, arms, etc. I have seen tiny, almost clear, but quick bugs on my arm this summer and I thought they were coming from the trees. But then sometimes, I wonder if they could be dust mites on my body? Is that possible? Please help.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hey, I have the same problem. I'm 20 and it bothers the ***l out of me. I usually get it after an aniety attack. My doctor said its from dry skin and/or the anxiety. Try using a different Shampoo and bodywash. If your experiencing anxiety see if you can get a prescription for venlafaine, i'm currently on 150mg and it works great. I used both methods and symptoms went away. I would'nt count on it from being psycological. Unless your paranoid all the time (paranoid schizophrenia) Where you're seeing bugs or hearing things =/. Just try the two methods and see if it works... If not Idk what it would be.
  • Hello,I hope someone here can help me. I'm getting desperate. I'm a female in my late 30s. I have this weird problem with my scalp, and no doctor can find anything wrong. It's driving me crazy.The best way to describe it, once in a while I feel like something is crawling on my head. Usually it's the top back of my head but I've gotten it in other spots too.Before I go on, please don't say lice - I've had lice as a kid, twice. I know all about them, and I've already checked for them. My hair is short so it's easy to make sure. I've had these symptoms for close to two years now, but the other 3 people in my household are fine (and my kids get lice checkups at school every week).My hair and scalp are completely clean. I don't have dandruff or any strange rashes, bumps, etc., either. Some days I don't feel any itching at all. Other days it's bothering me constantly. Sometimes it's not just my scalp but the sides of my face, my neck, and ears, like little hairs or spiderwebs tickling me, except there's nothing there. The weirdest part is that it mostly happens when I'm at home. Whenever I'm outside or indoors but not in my house, my head feels normal. Also it doesn't bother me at night at all. It's like someone switches it off the moment I get into bed.It usually gets worse on hot days, or right before it's time to wash my hair. Washing it helps, but at this point I'm washing it every other day, and I don't want to get to the point where I'm doing it every single day, which I heard isn't healthy.Could this be psychological? Hormonal? Could dust mites cause this? Other mites?Please help me out, any ideas and theories are welcome. Thank you.Hello,Have you ever heard of Morgellons Disease? Your symptoms are classic sign of Morgellons. Be aware that the majority of uninformed public believe Morgellons is a psychotic issue. It isn't, it is real, just ask the 14,000+ of us who have it. There are some websites that can help, but sadly most are money scams or just out to bash the people who are suffering with this awful disease. Try going to Morgellons Disease Research, there is a forum and it is a great place to get info, facts, suggestions, referrals, etc. I am a senior member and have been infected with Morgellons for the last 5 years.I wish you the best and stay strong with your search for answers to what you are going through.
    ghettogirl 1 Replies
    • October 8, 2011
    • 11:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi. Yes, I agree with GhettoGirl. Sounds just like Morgellons. I've had the disease over two years.My advice is to get yourself a cheap ($10) microscope and start looking at your skin. I would not be surprised if you find fibers emerged or under the skin, one of the main symptoms of Morgellons and the defining symptom that distinguishes it from all other diseases.If you do have Morgellons, you should consider seeing a holistic doctor such as Naturopath, homeopath, nutritionist, herbalist...etc. People are having good results with alternative treatments. Regular MDs are not helping people. They can only prescribe meds and since they don't know what they are dealing with, will most likely not treat you. Keep in mind that Morgellons sufferers have problems with detoxification pathways and often drugs make us worse, so please consider that if you see a doc and they prescribe somthing for you. Doctors have been fed a lot of bunk about this disease. Most don't believe it is real and rarely has anyone come away with a diagnosis, so don't waste your money. This is an expensive disease, and you will need your money for the out-of-pocket supplements. Also, if you see a doctor and describe crawling or say you have "bugs" you risk being labeled as having "Delusions of Parisitosis," a diagnosis that will follow you around in your medical records and which could put you at risk to lose certain legal rights—as well as having every other physician you see, not take you seriously.Address your diet and get the sugar out. Sugar feeds whatever this is and makes the symptoms worse. Learn how to detox your body. Stress makes things worse, so try and manage it.Having this disease is a long-term lifestyle change. Those that can embrace this concept are the ones that do well.I have a site up if you want more information on how you can work with the disease and to see the photos of fibers, particles that emerge from the skin as well as good links.I'm in a remissive state, meaning I have no symptoms (or ocassional symptoms). However, I have no illusions that I am cured. If you work hard, you will benefit from that work.Best of luck.Aylahttp://morgellonsdiseaseawareness.com
  • yes this is definitely a Morgellons, the two post above allready said how you treat it, so good luck from me.:D
    kipasanginrusak 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • how the treatment going i found a great site you should take a look mental health cooperative
    kipasanginrusak 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • The problem you are having is not mental, you don't need mood stabilizers to fix it. To the original poster, you mention that you are only affected in your house. Sometimes mold can exacerbate this condition. Are you aware of any type of mold problems in your home? Also, being around water or damp places. If it's raining for days I notice there will be slight symptoms.For some relief for the hair, try Jason's Dandruff shampoo. It can be purchased at all Whole Foods stores. I've recommended it to a lot of people and they've been very pleased. You can keep it on the scalp for 10 mins. with a shower cap on. It has tea tree oil, neem oil, colloidal sulfur, MSM, and Rosemary in it. It used to give me some relief—not total relief though. This is not a fix for the problem, just a way to feel more comfortable for now. The real path back from this is internal work. I'd recommend getting onto Morgellons-disease-research.com and looking in their archives for other treatments.Best,Aylahttp://morgellonsdiseaseawareness.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 6, 2012
    • 00:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello,I hope someone here can help me. I'm getting desperate. I'm a female in my late 30s. I have this weird problem with my scalp, and no doctor can find anything wrong. It's driving me crazy.The best way to describe it, once in a while I feel like something is crawling on my head. Usually it's the top back of my head but I've gotten it in other spots too.Before I go on, please don't say lice - I've had lice as a kid, twice. I know all about them, and I've already checked for them. My hair is short so it's easy to make sure. I've had these symptoms for close to two years now, but the other 3 people in my household are fine (and my kids get lice checkups at school every week).My hair and scalp are completely clean. I don't have dandruff or any strange rashes, bumps, etc., either. Some days I don't feel any itching at all. Other days it's bothering me constantly. Sometimes it's not just my scalp but the sides of my face, my neck, and ears, like little hairs or spiderwebs tickling me, except there's nothing there. The weirdest part is that it mostly happens when I'm at home. Whenever I'm outside or indoors but not in my house, my head feels normal. Also it doesn't bother me at night at all. It's like someone switches it off the moment I get into bed.It usually gets worse on hot days, or right before it's time to wash my hair. Washing it helps, but at this point I'm washing it every other day, and I don't want to get to the point where I'm doing it every single day, which I heard isn't healthy.Could this be psychological? Hormonal? Could dust mites cause this? Other mites?Please help me out, any ideas and theories are welcome. Thank you.i had the same problem till i started using vinegar rinse it help control the itchy feeling on my scalp and now i dont keep itching my head like i got bugs... lol... so buy some vinegar rinse and u will be itchy free... pass it on cause it works..
    nayarose 1 Replies
    • October 31, 2012
    • 11:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I hope someone here can help me. I'm getting desperate. I'm a female in my late 30s. I have this weird problem with my scalp, and no doctor can find anything wrong. It's driving me crazy.The best way to describe it, once in a while I feel like something is crawling on my head. Usually it's the top back of my head but I've gotten it in other spots too.Before I go on, please don't say lice - I've had lice as a kid, twice. I know all about them, and I've already checked for them. My hair is short so it's easy to make sure. I've had these symptoms for close to two years now, but the other 3 people in my household are fine (and my kids get lice checkups at school every week).My hair and scalp are completely clean. I don't have dandruff or any strange rashes, bumps, etc., either. Some days I don't feel any itching at all. Other days it's bothering me constantly. Sometimes it's not just my scalp but the sides of my face, my neck, and ears, like little hairs or spiderwebs tickling me, except there's nothing there. The weirdest part is that it mostly happens when I'm at home. Whenever I'm outside or indoors but not in my house, my head feels normal. Also it doesn't bother me at night at all. It's like someone switches it off the moment I get into bed.It usually gets worse on hot days, or right before it's time to wash my hair. Washing it helps, but at this point I'm washing it every other day, and I don't want to get to the point where I'm doing it every single day, which I heard isn't healthy.Could this be psychological? Hormonal? Could dust mites cause this? Other mites?Please help me out, any ideas and theories are welcome. Thank you.Hello, Hello, Have you found a solution to your crawling, itchy feeling on your scalp?  I have had the same thing for over a year and my doctor has tried many prescription meds, both internal and external, which only seemed to make the condition worse and more itchy, so my hair began falling out because of my itching and pulling.  I have the same symptoms.  I have had no symptoms as soon as I get into my bed also which seems strange.  I sleep through the night and wash my hair in the morning, all with no symptoms.  I have very little symptoms outside of my house.  At work, no symptoms.  At the theater no symptoms.  When I come home and sit at my computer (which is in the kitchen) my scalp begins to feel like something is crawling, it is itchy and red.  This happens every day.  My doctor has finally diagnosed it as stress and I did have an accident at the time this condition began."
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 19, 2013
    • 10:40 AM
    Flag this Response
  • You might be reacting to the electromagnet fields produced by your computer. Just to be safe, I'd vacuum around my computer and especially the keyboard. Many people in the Morgellons community complain about the same thing but no one really understands what is causing it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 21, 2013
    • 10:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the exact same thing. I don't believe it is mental, and it isn't morgellons. Morgellons is not crawling in hair. It is related to skin. Occassionally I rub my hair and these tiny brown ***** roll out. However I purchased a USB Microscope that I put on my hair and I don't find any crawling insects. I don't know what to do either. I have tried Olive Oil, Cetaphil, Vinegar treatments. My next step is to try Permethrin, but I doubt that will work since I can't see any bugs. If anyone comes up with a better theory please let us know. Good luck.
    wendyd 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Actually Wendy, you are mistaken about a couple of things pertaining to Morgellons. Morgellons sufferers DEFINITELY have crawling sensations on their scalp. Also, Morgellons is not a skin disease, it is a systemic problem and affects the entire body. By virtue of the fact that people often get lesions, leads most folks to believe it is a skin disease. It is not.From what you are describing in this particular post, you have classic symptoms. You do not see any bugs, and you are seeing some sort of brown particles produced from the hair. I can tell you right now that Permethrin is not going to help you. In fact, you will be exposing yourself to chemicals unnecessarily.I don't believe I'm allowed to post links to my site, so you can Google "Morgellons disease awareness" where you will find photo galleries. In particular, you might want to look at "Morgellons particles in skin." Please look through all the sections. I would bet that you are going to find photos that look like what you see in your hair.I can recommend Jason's Natural Dandruff shampoo for your scalp. It's sold in Whole Foods. It's not going to fix the problem, but many have found relief using it. I used to lather it up into my hair, put a shower cap on for 10 to 15 minutes, then rinse.I have the exact same thing. I don't believe it is mental, and it isn't morgellons. Morgellons is not crawling in hair. It is related to skin. Occassionally I rub my hair and these tiny brown ***** roll out. However I purchased a USB Microscope that I put on my hair and I don't find any crawling insects. I don't know what to do either. I have tried Olive Oil, Cetaphil, Vinegar treatments. My next step is to try Permethrin, but I doubt that will work since I can't see any bugs. If anyone comes up with a better theory please let us know. Good luck.
  • ok let me tell you what it is ...Some ten years back in my home , all of our family members experienced this same feeling.We all felt something is crawling on our exposed skin like hands feet and face. and on the scalp too.For scalp and hair first we thought that its lice but after several thorough combings we found nothing. Not a single lice came out of anyone's hair. For the skin when we try to see where we feel insect is crawling, we found nothing with naked eye.This feeling used to occur only in our home. Out side it never happened. So we concluded the problem is in our home. After careful observation we found the spot in our home where this feelings occurs the most and almost instantaneously. That was a window . We sprayed the corners and curtain of that window with OTC aerosol pesticide but to no avail. Later we were told by the people living in the neighboring building that an eagle has built a nest right outside and on the top of that window. ( i dont know whats the word for it. i am talking about the exterior shed on window, for rain.) From the roof top of neighboring building i found that eagles has made a nest just above our window. That nest was filled with old dirty rugged clothing by the eagles to keep their hatchlings warm. Let me tell you one more thing about the crawling. The kids in our home use to say that they are able to see very tiny white particle at the place of crawling. To see that, they even have to hold their breath cuz it was so tiny that human breath cause it to disperse from skin. We found the problem and the cause of it. The kids named it "EAGLES LICE".Then the first thing i did, with a big long bamboo i made that nest to fall on the ground. Then later i managed (somehow) to lit a fire on that place where there was that nest , in order to kill all the jerms. ( dont ask me how.... it was a long enduring and risky task). The fire made that shed clean.Then we sprayed the whole house with regular pesticide. Voila....we never experienced it again in our home. We moved to several apartments later on. we moved to one apartment which has 2 birds nest in 2 different locations. a pigeons nest and a canray. We felt the same thing. "Eagles Lice" . We waited till the baby birds grow enough to fly on their own. then we removed those nests and washed the place where the nests was. Sprayed pesticide. It all got back to OK. Notes:The feeling of crawling happens to women mostly . Reason : they are the ones who spend most of the time HOME. Guys are outside mostly. Kids with their gud eyesight are able to see these tiny almost microscopic organism. while elders have a hard time spoting it. Washing your hair gives you temporary relief. Its nothing related to your mental health. Beleive me if you are having that crawling sensation on your exposed skin , and feeling of lice crawling in your hair, i bet there must be a bird nest within your home or nearby. Go FInd it. and get rid of it (dont forget you are human . either wait for the baby birds to grow or find an alternative place far from your home and move the nest there). if removing the nest doesn't solve the problem, Try changing your residence. Dont bring your old clothes and furniture in your new residence. This how you will leave the problem where it was. i hope this will help you.
    JackO'neil 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Im glad I came accross this thread. Im 43 and for the last couple of weeks It has felt like something has been crawling on my scalp. I have been freaking out over this.. I have combed and combed through my hair every day with no bugs no nits, nothing. I do not have dandruff either. I have even went to the extent of treating my hair several times. And laugh if you want...but even went and bought dog shampoo with pyrithrens in it because this is driving me crazy. My daughter went through my hair today and said there is nothing there.
    ragepayne 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Have any of you with this problem had any scabs or sores in the ears or behind the ears? Do you feel like something is crawling in youreye lashes or nostrils?
    aquamarine60 1 Replies
    • August 22, 2013
    • 01:36 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been having this problem for about 2 months. Starting with no itching but little sores in my hair (they dont hurt or itch) that have little tan beads in them. about a month and a half later my head starts itching mostly at night. then about 2 weeks later its starts itching more everywhere. And ps i have been having weird sores / scabs in my ear.
    shoomee 2 Replies
    • September 11, 2013
    • 00:33 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have any of you with this problem had any scabs or sores in the ears or behind the ears? Do you feel like something is crawling in youreye lashes or nostrils? I have been getting scabs/ sores in my ears. And i have been having all these symptoms including sore like things on my head and tan beads in them....
    shoomee 2 Replies
    • September 11, 2013
    • 00:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have felt the same sensations mostly on my scalp and face for the past 3 weeks. My grandson visited me, he has two dogs in his room (in their cage). He was scratching his scalp so badly that grandma thought she would help (didn't see a thing). I made the mistake of putting my hands on my scalp and scratching right after that. After he left, 1 - 2 weeks later it started. I went to a dermatologist where I was given a shot for itching, a pill for itching and invermectin(sp) I think that's how it't spelled. I used everything to no avail. Still the same problem. I can't even wear makeup anymore because I'm constantly rubbing or picking my skin. Surely the medical community or someone has a cure for us. This is driving me crazy and affecting my social life. I'm really afraid I'll infect someone else. HELP!!
    Abbiep14 2 Replies
    • September 17, 2013
    • 11:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello,I hope someone here can help me. I'm getting desperate. I'm a female in my late 30s. I have this weird problem with my scalp, and no doctor can find anything wrong. It's driving me crazy.The best way to describe it, once in a while I feel like something is crawling on my head. Usually it's the top back of my head but I've gotten it in other spots too.Before I go on, please don't say lice - I've had lice as a kid, twice. I know all about them, and I've already checked for them. My hair is short so it's easy to make sure. I've had these symptoms for close to two years now, but the other 3 people in my household are fine (and my kids get lice checkups at school every week).My hair and scalp are completely clean. I don't have dandruff or any strange rashes, bumps, etc., either. Some days I don't feel any itching at all. Other days it's bothering me constantly. Sometimes it's not just my scalp but the sides of my face, my neck, and ears, like little hairs or spiderwebs tickling me, except there's nothing there. The weirdest part is that it mostly happens when I'm at home. Whenever I'm outside or indoors but not in my house, my head feels normal. Also it doesn't bother me at night at all. It's like someone switches it off the moment I get into bed.It usually gets worse on hot days, or right before it's time to wash my hair. Washing it helps, but at this point I'm washing it every other day, and I don't want to get to the point where I'm doing it every single day, which I heard isn't healthy.Could this be psychological? Hormonal? Could dust mites cause this? Other mites?Please help me out, any ideas and theories are welcome. Thank you.I have been praying because I have this problem badly for about 2 months. I had become depressed and as a believing woman, I knew my higher power did not want me to be in this condition. I read something that listerine helps. I bought listerine, saturated a cotton ball and saturate my scalp the sides of my face, my ear canal (qtips) with listerine. I can't tell you how much relief I have felt. This problem was so bad that I couldn't eat without constantly feeling somethinig was on the tip of my nose, or the side of my mouth, or the top of my head. I have only been using it for the past couple of days, but I just had to share because others are suffering from this problem and no doctor has come up with a solution. By the way I did go to a dermatologist and got the prescription ivermectin, but it did not help.
    Abbiep14 2 Replies
    • September 21, 2013
    • 06:59 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi all,Yep I have the crawling feeling too, it has bothered me for about 3 months, drives me nuts, happens at work and home, never when I am in bed. I get itchy so I scratch, then my skin welts up.First thing I tried was head and shoulders itchy scalp shampoo...the sensation disappeared......4 days later it came back...So I went to my GP and she thought I had Eczema.So I got some stuff for my scalp and the problem went away for a couple of weeks, but now its back again Again I went to my GP and this time I had blood tests, she thinks it could be my Thyroid........:confused: I googled it and have some symptons but will wait for the tests to come back.I read all about morgellons but I dont know...there is too much info about everything, I was getting stressed just reading and thinking I had everythingI will let you know
    Mark_2 1 Replies
    • October 4, 2013
    • 08:23 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement