Discussions By Condition: Repiratory conditions

persistant tickly cough

Posted In: Repiratory conditions 37 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 27, 2007
  • 09:59 AM

I have had a cough for 4 months now, usually worse at night when i lie down. Its only tickly on my right side. Dr has given me a nasal spray, mouthwash various cough meds but nothing is working. Noticed also my tonsil is enlarged on that side. Only cough up clear sputem. I also have pain now going into my ear. Any thoughts? Its driving me mad and husband is now sleeping in spare room due to this. Somtimes i have coughing fits and i am almost sick as the tickle is so bad.

Past couple of weeks also had pain in left shoulder radiating to side like an electric shock not sure if its related or not. Any advice would be great as i dont think my dr is listening to me xx c

Reply Flag this Discussion

37 Replies:

• I also get that tickly cough at night, but not every night. I have found that Ricola Natural Lemon-Mint Herb Throat Drops(all drug stores carry them) is the answer for me. I always keep 1 on my night stand, and when the cough wakes me up, I pop one in my mouth. I do not take one before going to bed. I've found that they only work when I wake up with the cough. They have never failed me. Good luck to you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • persistent plus clear sputum usually means sinusitis with post nasal drip.have three hot baths per day.start now.take three courses of high dose antibiotics consecutively.take pseudoephidrene to open the sinuses and nasal passages.take cetirizene to mitigate the slight allergy which is behind it all.clean your environment thoroughly.especially your bed area.new pillows,new bed,new bedding is best.no feathers or down. air man made fibre items before use by hanging on a washing line for seventy two hours .it will take three or four months to clear the cough up,in all probability.that is how long the lungs usually take to recover from their sensitised state.this is from the time you get rid of what is in your sinuses;it may be only a trace,but when you lie down it dribbles down your windpipe,and irritates your lungs.persevere.dont expect a quick result.it is important to fix this as it can develop into c.o.p.d. over time .that usually kills.take this very seriously.let me know how you get on,please.
  • It is 1:34 a.m. I am up coughing, belching and trying to vomit. I have had some pain in my chest but I thought I had coughed out all the green mucus. Which wasn't much. It wasn't too bad at all. However yesterday I ate mexican food after being on a pretty low fat diet. At the first bite I began to choke and grasp for air. I started coughing hard and my eyes were watering. After that fit, I felt fine. I was surprised because it felt like I had inhaled the salsa and I didn't think I had. Any how I saw that I had ate a pepper, I was concerned because Jalepeno have been know to keep me up belching and vommitting violently. I observed it and determined it was in fact a bell pepper. So I continued eating merrily. When I laid down that night I had a strange coughing fit. With a very dry coupy sounding cough. Then came the belching and eventually I choked my neck to force the acid up to vomit. It was awful and violent and my husband came to check on me. Stopping me from finishing. So today I have had acid in the pit of my stomach all day. Now as soon as I lay down the cough fits. It feels like something is struck on my left toncils. Oh yes I also had a red blothy rash on my face today. During my coughing fit my feet got hot and began to itch. Now I am sitting here wishing I could sleep but still having coughing fits after taking benedyrl. I wish I could vomit but my stomach is like a rock. Is this an allergy or sinisius infection? I have hay fever,vertigo, fatigue after eating certain foods... etc...
  • I have had this problem for a couple of weeks.When I lie down to goto sleep, within 5 minutes my throat is tickly, feels odd to slowly, and i have spastic coughing sessions, clear flem produces. can't hardly sleep..Just today I had been fine, I had a lie down, only 3pm and within 10 minutes i was coughing terribly, feels like i am going to throw up.same thing? bad?
  • persistent plus clear sputum usually means sinusitis with post nasal drip.have three hot baths per day.start now.take three courses of high dose antibiotics consecutively.take pseudoephidrene to open the sinuses and nasal passages.take cetirizene to mitigate the slight allergy which is behind it all.clean your environment thoroughly.especially your bed area.new pillows,new bed,new bedding is best.no feathers or down. air man made fibre items before use by hanging on a washing line for seventy two hours .it will take three or four months to clear the cough up,in all probability.that is how long the lungs usually take to recover from their sensitised state.this is from the time you get rid of what is in your sinuses;it may be only a trace,but when you lie down it dribbles down your windpipe,and irritates your lungs.persevere.dont expect a quick result.it is important to fix this as it can develop into c.o.p.d. over time .that usually kills.take this very seriously.let me know how you get on,please.Hi, just been trying to find out what is causing my tickly cough. I wake needing to clear my throat most nights. I feel groggy and hungover in the morning. Am pretty sure it is sinusitis as I can feel mucous slipping down from the back of my nose - lovely! Also have dry eyes, thirst at night and tenderness at front of head. Am interested in what you have to say. My father has been diagnosed with c.o.p.d. and he has been a bit of a throat clearer in the past. Can you elaborate on the connection if poss. please. I will certainly take endeavour to rid myself of this, have been putting up with it for some time.Kind regards, Debbie.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 14, 2007
    • 08:03 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had something similar.Been diagnosed as spasm of larynx(vocal Chords)Advice is stop clearing throat,avoid menthol/sore throat tabs like strepsils as aggravate,eat low fat unspicy food,use facial steam inhaler 2x day by opening mouth and rehydrating larynx,drink 2 litres of water per day,lose weight if overweight,raise head of bed by 4 inches as acid reflux from stomach aggravates and causes tickle when you lie down,eat 3-4 hours before going to bed,get an antiacid like gaviscon,Zanta or proton pump inhibitors from doctor.My condition has improved after 3 moths of this regime
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 22, 2007
    • 11:37 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Omg I Have The Same Sysmptom. My Doctor Gave Me Antibiotic For Teh Tonsil, But He Mention Teh Coughing Could Me Some Type Of Allergy. But I Don't Trust Him. When I Start To Cough, I Cough Nonsopt, Can't Even Breath At That Time. I Am Going To See Another Doctor For Second Opinion. Post Your Solution If You Get Any.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 11, 2007
    • 09:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been dealing with the cough for the past 5 months. I have tried Flovent for asthma, Nyquil is a staple, Protonix for acid. The only thing that helps supress it is Hycodin syrup, but it, of course, does not treat the cause. I even had a spiral CT to make sure it is not a pulmonary embolism! Thank God, it is not. The next step for me it PFT (pulmonary function tests) tomorrow, and ENT appointment after that. I am so tired of this. Thank goodness, my doc has not been shy with Hycodin, otherwise, I would have gone mad from coughing at night!
  • I have had a cough for 4 months now, usually worse at night when i lie down. Its only tickly on my right side. Dr has given me a nasal spray, mouthwash various cough meds but nothing is working. Noticed also my tonsil is enlarged on that side. Only cough up clear sputem. I also have pain now going into my ear. Any thoughts? Its driving me mad and husband is now sleeping in spare room due to this. Somtimes i have coughing fits and i am almost sick as the tickle is so bad.Past couple of weeks also had pain in left shoulder radiating to side like an electric shock not sure if its related or not. Any advice would be great as i dont think my dr is listening to me xx c I have had the same thing for about 3 weeks now, just like you im almost sick as the tickle is so strong, i wnt to the doctor and she said it was just a viral thing at first and would clear but to take antibiotics(perscribed) if it didnt, so i took them a few days later and it just made me all phlemy which i was not before and now the tickle has gone but i have a very deep cough and it feels tickley in my lungs and lots of phlem in the lungs too
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 3, 2008
    • 02:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had a cough for 4 months now, usually worse at night when i lie down. Its only tickly on my right side. Dr has given me a nasal spray, mouthwash various cough meds but nothing is working. Noticed also my tonsil is enlarged on that side. Only cough up clear sputem. I also have pain now going into my ear. Any thoughts? Its driving me mad and husband is now sleeping in spare room due to this. Somtimes i have coughing fits and i am almost sick as the tickle is so bad. Past couple of weeks also had pain in left shoulder radiating to side like an electric shock not sure if its related or not. Any advice would be great as i dont think my dr is listening to me xx c Souds like it could be sinus drainage. Try a low dose of OTC Brnadryl. If it helps, thats probably what it is. Good luck.
    mystic66 5 Replies
    • September 17, 2008
    • 03:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Wow! This is the best I've read so far and I'm amazed at how many people are suffering with the same symptoms. Thank you!! i will look forward to sleeping through the night for once in quite a few months.persistent plus clear sputum usually means sinusitis with post nasal drip.have three hot baths per day.start now.take three courses of high dose antibiotics consecutively.take pseudoephidrene to open the sinuses and nasal passages.take cetirizene to mitigate the slight allergy which is behind it all.clean your environment thoroughly.especially your bed area.new pillows,new bed,new bedding is best.no feathers or down. air man made fibre items before use by hanging on a washing line for seventy two hours .it will take three or four months to clear the cough up,in all probability.that is how long the lungs usually take to recover from their sensitised state.this is from the time you get rid of what is in your sinuses;it may be only a trace,but when you lie down it dribbles down your windpipe,and irritates your lungs.persevere.dont expect a quick result.it is important to fix this as it can develop into c.o.p.d. over time .that usually kills.take this very seriously.let me know how you get on,please.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 21, 2008
    • 09:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• My best friend, a retired nurse, suggested I purchase a vaporizer and I did and I added 1/2 teaspoon of salt and I slept like a baby for the first time in almost a year. The lack of sleep has worn me down but I feel pretty darn good today and wished I could have stayed home to sleep some more. My doctor called a few minutes ago and confirmed that my blood pressure medication is causing my violent coughs and I've been ordered off of them for 7 days but asked to continue to monitor my blood pressure. I have completely eliminated my day attacks by chewing sugarless gum and I haven't had a cough in weeks during the day while at work or church. I am so relieved and pray that this may help you too and if you are taking blood pressure medication, then notify your doctor. Peace Be With You!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 22, 2008
    • 02:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • No one ever comes back to give the outcome of their condition or tests. Drives me mad. does everyone on here die? Get better? WHAT????Sure be nice to hear a real story that actually helped.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 19, 2008
    • 04:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been reading all the posts re the tickly cough. I too have been suffering with the same and it has been driving me mad (and my wife) for weeks and weeks. No sleep at night made me miserable and irritable. like many I have tried all sorts of linctus and cough medicine without success. Then last week I noticed that we had a packet of Benadryl plus in the cupboard. This is an allergy & congestion relief tablet designed for hay fever sufferers, something wife has been taking. Well, I slept like baby the first night and have done so ever since. I don't mean to advertise a product but this honestly worked for me.
  • No one ever comes back to give the outcome of their condition or tests. Drives me mad. does everyone on here die? Get better? WHAT????Sure be nice to hear a real story that actually helped.Dear All,Hope this helps someone. I had a persistant and uneffective cough. I didn't notice any other symptoms. One the third visit to the doctor, he finally noticed a post nasal drip and decided to treat for a sinus infection, even though I had no other symptoms. After I started taking antibiotics and also ventolin and flixotide for my lungs, as well as flixotide for the post nasal drip, it all, very, very slowly, started getting better. He said if the cough was more forced and harder to control, he might have suspected whooping cough, but in either case the treatment is almost the same, so I should feel relief. It seems to be working.Feel better to all.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 25, 2009
    • 11:25 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I've had a really annoying tickly cough (worse at night) for about 4 mths too. Only recently went to GPs and was prescribed ratidine (sp?) for acid reflux even though I've never felt reflux or suffer with heartburn/indigestion. I now have a head cold and a sore throat (probably sensitive from all the coughing I've done!) and have been coughing (tickly)for most of the day. I've taken two ratidine and zero effect. My GP wants me to increase to 4 ratidine at night (box says 2 is max dose) for 3 weeks to see if there is an improvement. Should I continue with this treatment or return to GP as slowly going mad from lack of sleep?!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 2, 2009
    • 06:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I now have a head cold and a sore throat (probably sensitive from all the coughing I've done!) and have been coughing (tickly)for most of the day. I've taken two ratidine and zero effect. My GP wants me to increase to 4 ratidine at night (box says 2 is max dose) for 3 weeks to see if there is an improvement. Should I continue with this treatment or return to GP as slowly going mad from lack of sleep?!!To whom it may concern;Now a head cold and a sore throat? Doesn't this sound like it might be part of a sinus infection? Do you have post nasal drip? headaches? pain in your cheeks, near your eyes, when pressed? I'm not your doctor, nor pretend to be, but if you see no improvement from the maximum dose of a medicine, perhaps it's time to find another treatment. Ask him to consider sinus infection. I had no symptoms other than post nasal drip and, thank G-d, now I am all better, no tickle, no cough, and no drip. They are hard to cure and sometimes need extra strong or long dosages of antibiotics. Push for at least 10 days of something strong. You deserve relief.Good luck, Emi.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 4, 2009
    • 07:13 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It sounds like LPR to me, Laryngopharyngeal Reflux. I recently found out I have this. It is different than regular acid reflux as most of the symptoms are usually in the throat and not the stomach, most people don't even get heartburn with it. It comes on all of a sudden and it will drive you crazy. Some of my symptoms are constant feeling of food stuck in back of throat, throat tightness at times, tickly throat right after laying down that produces a dry cough. I started off taking some samples of Nexium that the ENT gave me, and am now trying Prevacid, which I only bought a weeks supply of, because they are very expensive. I think it works out to like $5.45 a pill when you dont have insurance. So far, they aren't even working. More than likely, I need to take it more than once a day, but I can't afford to, so I haven't tried it.I just started noticing the symptoms about 3 months ago after swallowing some Aleve pills. It has been driving me nuts ever since.But ask your doctor if it could be LPR, they will run a little scope down your throat, which doesn't hurt at all.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 24, 2009
    • 09:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Out of the many posts, this one attract my attention. I believe it is possible for anyone to participate. Excellent ! I like it very much. :DHow to incorportate business online yourself | Articles of incorporation services | Why incorporating a small llc company?
    cuismbe 1 Replies
    • September 25, 2009
    • 03:24 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had a cough for years and it drives my wife mad (madder). I have had all sorts of tests done, including a camera down the throat and MRI scan a couple of years ago. Allergy tests were negative, asthma sprays were no good. Seen several 'speciallists' Tried all sorts of cough and nasel mixes. One thread on this was the ear played some part in this. I don't think all doctors know about things. (They start with the ear nose and throat and if they are really good they work their way to the bottom!)- I didn't do biology at school, but If I clean my ears with a cotton bud, the left ear is ok, but the right one induces a cough. Now doctors say the ear isn't connected, but I reckon something is..... Got a bit of a cold right now and this makes the coughing worse. The throat goes dry and spasm in breathing, which is a BIG pain. ... Anyhow tried something yesterday and it seems to be a help to me. It's metus dry coughs with congestion, non drousy adult. I have no connection with this company, but as soon as I take it the coughing stops. It may not be a permanent solotion, but I reckon, it'll be something I have to sort for myself......Not sure if this is going to sort it, but it could be a clue with something with the formula... . . I have met several other people who have persitant coughs, which I suppose is re-assuring. The doctors final verdict was I have a persistant cough.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 15, 2009
    • 10:30 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement