Discussions By Condition: Pain

Stabbing Pain In Lower Calf

Posted In: Pain 39 Replies
  • Posted By: Safetynut
  • February 25, 2007
  • 11:37 PM

Hello Forum; I woke up this morning and after my morning cup of tea I started having these very intense (sharp stabbing) pains on the inside of my ankle just below the calf. The very odd thing about it - it hits with out warning and lasts for 5-6 seconds. Then it stops completely for 8 minutes and then hits again. This has been going on all day now. The pain level is a 10. There is no warning of any type, just an instant 10 for 5-6 seconds, then stops. I have had no injury, there is no swelling or soreness. My wife and I have searched the net and have found nothing that comes close to this symptom.

Can anyone out there tell me what this might be? Someone could stab me with a knife and I don't think it would hurt any worse. HELP

Thanks

Reply Flag this Discussion

39 Replies:

• I suffer from the same symptoms you describe, except i have been suffering it for periods of a couple of days, and it seems to come and go at random intervals, it has been like this for over a year now.I seem to get the same stabbing pains in my upper arms, but it only occurs in one spot at a time, and the pain feels like its coming from the very inside of the affected limb.I as well have no swelling and it seems to occur for no reason whatsoever
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I had the same pains again this morning however, they were only about half as painful as before and only lasted about 3 hrs. It has been 15 days since the last attck. I have been taking Cayenne Pepper Tincture (African Birds Eye) 180,000 HU and I think it may be helping my blood circulation in the legs and possibly reducing the pain issue. Thanks for replying.
    Safetynut 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • My dad started complaining of the exact same thing yesterday. His were every couple of minutes and would only last about 2-3seconds a piece. However this had been going on for a couple of days and he was not sleeping. Please let me know if you find out what this is from, he is miserable.
  • I had these same pains again about 15 days after my first bout. My wife started reading natural cures books and one cause may have been dehydration. The other thing we found was it could have been caused by poor blood circulation in the leg. So I started drinking about 1/2 gal of water per day and for the poor circulation I now take about 12 drops of Cayenne Tincture 3 times per day. The Cayenne needs to be the African Birds Eye at least 180,00 HU or better. Hope this helps your dad as it has me. Michael
  • I am glad that you are feeling better and drinking more water. Dehydration is the #1 cause of most pain! And cayenne is very helpful as an analgesic. I would say however that if it continues and the pain is localized around the medial calf of your leg, that it could possibly be a blood clot and an ultrasound would rule this out. Especially if you have recently been traveling or have been in the hospital due to illness or surgery. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thanks DOM I have not been traveling so I pretty much rule out blood clot but one is never 100% sure without an US. I haven't had the pain again now for over two weeks so maybe my regime of Cayenne and Water may do the trick. ThanksMichael:)
  • Try some mag phos 6x or magnesium, like Natural Vitality Calm. You can try tonic water with quinine in it, too, and see if that helps the cramp. Try hot baths in milk of magnesium--use a whole large box..
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • December 25, 2007
    • 07:36 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i am replying to this old post as i was researching my own leg pain and it was identical to the first post. i was on vacation - 3 days in - and experienced the most horrendous pain, mid calf in the front - without warning and lasted for 5 - 8 seconds. this went on for about 8 hours solid and continued for 3 days sporadically until it eventually went away. i now have (one month later), leg 'twinges' in the same area. i went to a doctor while away who checked my b/p which was 120/80, blood sugar was perfect, i had no local pain and no swelling (eliminating a blod clot). she suggested it might be a form of neuralgia. she gave me a shot of b12 and suggested i continue to take that for circulation and see a neurologist when i returned home. i went to my g.p. and she said since the onset of pain was so sudden, she didn't believe it to be neurological and sent me for a leg x-ray and dismissed it at that. i am not comfortable with this diagnosis as the 'twinges' continue and i live in fear that the full blown pain will return without notice. has anyone had any other diagnosis that i could discuss with my physician?
  • Hello Forum; I woke up this morning and after my morning cup of tea I started having these very intense (sharp stabbing) pains on the inside of my ankle just below the calf. The very odd thing about it - it hits with out warning and lasts for 5-6 seconds. Then it stops completely for 8 minutes and then hits again. This has been going on all day now. The pain level is a 10. There is no warning of any type, just an instant 10 for 5-6 seconds, then stops. I have had no injury, there is no swelling or soreness. My wife and I have searched the net and have found nothing that comes close to this symptom. Can anyone out there tell me what this might be? Someone could stab me with a knife and I don't think it would hurt any worse. HELP ThanksI also started having very severe stabbing pains in the lower back of my left leg about 6 weeks ago. They would start without warning, last about 25 seconds, then instantly stop. I would go a week or more without any pain then suddenly have several. Three days ago they started at 3 AM and for 3 hours, every 3-4 minutes I would have about 25 seconds of extreme pain. Then suddenly they stopped. I don't have any idea what the cause is but am seeing a neurologist next week.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 3, 2009
    • 04:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello Forum; I woke up this morning and after my morning cup of tea I started having these very intense (sharp stabbing) pains on the inside of my ankle just below the calf. The very odd thing about it - it hits with out warning and lasts for 5-6 seconds. Then it stops completely for 8 minutes and then hits again. This has been going on all day now. The pain level is a 10. There is no warning of any type, just an instant 10 for 5-6 seconds, then stops. I have had no injury, there is no swelling or soreness. My wife and I have searched the net and have found nothing that comes close to this symptom. Can anyone out there tell me what this might be? Someone could stab me with a knife and I don't think it would hurt any worse. HELP Thanks Get a Dr to check you for Chronic Calf Compression Syndrome Cheers, Pete
    Luciddreamer1966 8 Replies
    • January 26, 2009
    • 05:20 AM
    Flag this Response
  • push against the floor like you do with a gas pedal. then bring your toes up towards your nose. Does this exercise induce the pain?
    AprilRN 27 Replies
    • January 26, 2009
    • 06:37 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I was actually relieved to find these string of posts. At least I know I'm not alone. My pain is identical to the description in an earlier post... stabbing pain in my calf just below and behind my knee. The pain is definitely a 10... almost as bad as labor pains. Mine lasts anywhere from 3 to 10 seconds. It first happened 5 months ago, in March. It lasted on and off for two days. Then it showed up again today (August 21st). I'm drinking plenty of water, so I'm pretty certain it can't be dehydration. I'm on vacation, so my routine is a little different, but I don't think it has anything to do with that. If it continues, I will see my doctor and request an ultrasound to rule out a blood clot.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 22, 2009
    • 01:37 AM
    Flag this Response
  • To me it sounds like a vitamin k deficiency this can cause extremely painful sensations anywhere in the body, due to muscle spasms and other factors going on inside the leg. You might want to increase the ammount of K in your diet by adding Spinach, or even drinking some Gatorade both of them have high ammounts of K in them.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 20, 2009
    • 04:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello Forum; I woke up this morning and after my morning cup of tea I started having these very intense (sharp stabbing) pains on the inside of my ankle just below the calf. The very odd thing about it - it hits with out warning and lasts for 5-6 seconds. Then it stops completely for 8 minutes and then hits again. This has been going on all day now. The pain level is a 10. There is no warning of any type, just an instant 10 for 5-6 seconds, then stops. I have had no injury, there is no swelling or soreness. My wife and I have searched the net and have found nothing that comes close to this symptom. Can anyone out there tell me what this might be? Someone could stab me with a knife and I don't think it would hurt any worse. HELP Thanks Hello, I have been suffering from some kind of pain that I can't explain.I have pain and its always occures when I start sleeping and it is always occures in one side in my calf muscle and it does not allow me to sleep and second day it may be in other leg and some time it occures in behind the knee (obviously in one leg) and some time it is in my lower back.I can tell you only that something happens but it is not pain so please hepl me out.It starts with my veryfirst dose of my sleep.If somebody sit on that part,I feel very good and that time I can try to sleep soon.I don't know what goes on in that part but I have got to just keep on my possition change.
    maulesh 1 Replies
    • December 26, 2009
    • 11:26 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi i read abt ur symptoms. I think u should have ur serum cholestrol levels chkd and doppler scaning can also provide some clue if it is a vascular disease. Ischemic leg pain occurs in people with persistent high cholestrol levels due to accumulation of lipids in arteries. In arterial insufficiency there is pain after walking some distance ar it can also b during rest . the affected limb is usually colder n there is tingling sensation or there can b complete loss of sensations of theaffected side. Hope u people find it helpful.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 29, 2010
    • 11:16 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, Over the past few years I have been getting these very intense sharp pains on the inside of my left ankle, right at the joint. It does sound similar to what some of you have experienced. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when or why it occurs. Haven't had any episode for some time then yesterday after leaving work while driving the pain was so sharp it jerked my foot. Luckily it wasn't my right on the gas pedal. I have had several occurrences since yesterday afternoon. When I go to my Dr. I always forget to mention as it is an infrequent thing and I forget about it. Nothing seems to relieve it I just try to massage and work it out but it just really seems to stop on it's own. I'm going to try drinking more water and see if it is a hydration issue. I'll have to check out the Cayenne regimen as well.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 18, 2010
    • 05:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I also started having very severe stabbing pains in the lower back of my left leg about 6 weeks ago. They would start without warning, last about 25 seconds, then instantly stop. I would go a week or more without any pain then suddenly have several. Three days ago they started at 3 AM and for 3 hours, every 3-4 minutes I would have about 25 seconds of extreme pain. Then suddenly they stopped. I don't have any idea what the cause is but am seeing a neurologist next week.I have had the same pain for years in my lower leg--the side of my left lower calf. It's a bolt of lightning that drops me to the floor. I used to be able to try and keep my composure if I was out. That's no longer possible. i have had every test possible--emg's, MRI's. ultasound--nothing showed. ice helps a little, I don't go anywhere without a Liddderm patch on me. I'm going to try the cayenne pepper. Hope it helps.
  • Hi i read abt ur symptoms. I think u should have ur serum cholestrol levels chkd and doppler scaning can also provide some clue if it is a vascular disease. Ischemic leg pain occurs in people with persistent high cholestrol levels due to accumulation of lipids in arteries. In arterial insufficiency there is pain after walking some distance ar it can also b during rest . the affected limb is usually colder n there is tingling sensation or there can b complete loss of sensations of theaffected side. Hope u people find it helpful.These are exactly my symptoms. I just had an ultrasound done so no blood clot. My Dr suggested it may be my back causing the issue. I know I've had high cholesterol and stay borderline. the colder limb really got me because that is exactly right!
  • These are exactly my symptoms. I just had an ultrasound done so no blood clot. My Dr suggested it may be my back causing the issue. I know I've had high cholesterol and stay borderline. the colder limb really got me because that is exactly right!Hi Guys,Thought some of you might be interested in checking out the following link for one common cause of referred calf pain:SciaticaHope that helps,PhysioAdvisorwww.PhysioAdvisor.com
    PhysioAdvisor 93 Replies Flag this Response
  • The muscle is stretched causing some small micro tears in the muscle fibers. Full recovery takes approximately two weeks.There is partial tearing of muscle fibers. Full recovery takes approximately 5-8 weeks.This is the most severe calf strain with a complete tearing or rupture of muscle fibers in the lower leg. Full recovery can take 3-4 months and, in some instances, surgery may be needed.
    darshanrawat 2 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement