Discussions By Condition: Autoimmune Disease

autoimmune and hives/rashes

Posted In: Autoimmune Disease 41 Replies
  • Posted By: m starr
  • February 25, 2007
  • 10:37 PM

Have had problem with sudden an unexplained rashes/hives for over 2 yrs. Usually rash looks like bad bout with poison ivy on front of shins. Itches like crazy. Then something more like hives...red, sandpaper like skin on chest, armpit area, chin and face appear. Also itches like crazy. Allergist says not an allergy. Says is autoimmune problem. History: have type 1 diabetes and was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma 1 1/2 yrs. ago and treated with chemo. Are there any other diabetics, cancer survivors who have chronic, itchy rashes?

Reply Flag this Discussion

41 Replies:

• I don't know if this helps you but Celiac disease is linked to high rates of type-1 diabetes and non-Hodgkins lymphoma. Some diabetic medical organizations suggest all Type-1 Diabetics should be ELISA tested for Celiac every year because of how commonly they co-exist. Some Celiac patients have stomach pain/problems but digestive symptoms are less common in Celiacs who have a chronic and incredibly itchy skin rash (I'll say from experience its worse than poison ivy or the chicken pox, and it just doesn't want to go away). Celiac is an auto-immune condition caused by ingesting wheat protein and although it hasn't been thoroughly examined scientifically, the anecdotal evidence suggests that other foods can cause nearly identical auto-immune problems. These will not show up on a typical allergy test, unfortunately. The chemical reaction is like a slow acting allergy catalyzed by IgG or IgA rather than the 'standard' allergy immunoglobulin, IgE.
    Azaral 152 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have Common Variable Immunodeficiency and have had horrible hives for the past 7 months. My doctor believes that they are autoimmune. Haven't found a good solution yet. good luck in your search for an answer. You can read my blog about my search at http://idiopath.wordpress.com
    Idiopath 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I agree with Azoral in picking up on the Celiac angle. My itchy horrid rash turned out to be Dermatitis Herpetiformis (DH), the "skin" form of celiac disease. The lesions had been variously diagnosed as allergies, psoriasis, shingles, dry skin problems (Oh, really!!). Only after the the intestinal and malabsorption complications caused me to lose 35 pounds did we finally figure out I had celiac disease. It then took me nearly 1 1/2 years to get anybody to biopsy one of the lesions. Thank heavens our new family practioner has an aunt who is celiac. As to the celiac disease, I had been variously diagnosed as depressed, anxious, questioned as to the possibility of being anorexic, and had been told I had a compulsive eating disorder (I was eating over 4500 calories a day and still losing weight). My doctor had prescribed Effexor, Lexapro & Wellbutrin on the assumption that I must be mental if I could eat that much & still get skinny. I finally figured out, I've had DH for 20 years--probably it and the celiac disease were triggered by chemotherapy for ovarian cancer at that time. I've been gluten free for 1 1/2 years. I have gained a whole whopping 3 pounds, my BMI is around 17 (eeek!!). But I have my strength back, my migraines are gone, and the DH is 80% healed. You may have trouble getting a doctor to test you for celiac or biopsy a lesion for DH, but it's worth the fight! Sorry to go on for so long! Hope this is of some help. AbbyG
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Abby G., I have a question. The lesion of DH that you refer to, what does it look like? My son and I got ill in Hawaii in 7/05. I think we either got a EBV (virus) or poisoned by the pesticides used in the apartment. Anyway, my son has since been diagnosed with celiac disease. I felt like I was going to pass out after eating for months after our illness began. I just sort of figured out that I could not eat certain foods. I had the celiac blood test and biopsy that were both negative. But had only gone off a gluten free diet for five days before the biospy. Anyway, my son has horrible itching at times and seems to be better after being GF for about 9 months. I have had alot of small scabs, they started out larger but became smaller and almost invisible. Initially the dermatologist told me to quit picking which I insisted I did not. My doc now can not see them but I can feel them. I still think I have CD as my aunt was also diagnosed years earlier and since she has cancer and diabetes now, I am GF with my son. do these scabs seem like the lesions you are referring to?
  • Have had problem with sudden an unexplained Rof shins. Itches like crazy. Then something more like hives...red, sandpaper like skin on chest, armpit area, chin and face appear. Also itches like crazy. Allergist says not an allergy. Says is autoimmune problem. History: have type 1 diabetes and was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma 1 1/2 yrs. ago and treated with chemo. Are there any other diabetics, cancer survivors who have chronic, itchy rashes?I was diagniosed with hep c about 3 yrs ago but they say my body has gotten rid of it bec. I have such a low viral load. I have been having fevers for about 10 yrs. and my body aches. I feel just like I have the flue. I break out in a rash all the time for no reason, mostly on my back arms and legs. I keep a really dry skin rash on the tops of my feet. Recently my doc. recomended that I go to a rhymatoid doc. and says what ever I have is an autoimmune disease. Its been 10 yrs and I dont know what it is. The ovious would be hep c but they tell me that is not the cause. I dont know what help this is to you but maybe shareing my story will help us both.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 24, 2007
    • 04:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi everyone,I just want to share my experience with chronic hives and how I found out that undiagnosed Celiac was causing my hives because hives are not a common symptom of Celiac and some people may be suffering needlessly. The short version is that I had severe chronic hives and angioedema for six months. They were so bad that I had to quit my job. I was on prednisone, zyrtec, singulair, and zantac, and I still had to go to the emergency room occasionally to get a shot or IV of prednisone. I saw my regular Dr. many times, an allergist/immunologist, and many different emergency room Dr.'s. I had many blood tests including RAST allergy tests which stated that I was not allergic to anything. THe Dr.'s said I would just have to take medication until it just went away on it's own (why do they always say that?). Anyway, I couldn't accept that as an answer. I read somewhere that a Dr. would rather see a live tiger walk into his office than a person with chronic hives! When you can't sleep because you are being tortured by hives as big as plates and a swollen face you look for answers. In my case I found out I have Celiac disease. I figured it out on my own through trial and error and looking around on the internet. I got lab work to confirm it. Since Celiac is not an allergy I tested negative for any allergy to wheat. No Dr. suggested Celiac. I also tested positive for antibodies to the protein in milk called casein (at Enterolab). I stopped eating any foods containing gluten and casein (very hard) five months ago and my hives have gone down to one small patch every other day and I just take one Zyrtec and they go away in 20 minutes. They have progressively decreased since I stopped eating gluten and casein and they are almost gone completely. For those of you with hives who found this post by googling "hives" and think Celiac could possibly be a cause for your hives, do some research. If you get blood work and it comes up negative that does not necessarily mean you don't have it. You can also be gluten sensitive without having Celiac. Also, you have to be eating gluten for the tests to be valid. I stopped eating it and noticed an improvement and then ate some bread and had to go to the emergency room because of the breakout of hives and angioedema. Anyway, I was able to end my suffering due to the information I learned from message boards and I vowed that if I ever figured out what was causing the torture I was going through I would go back and post because I learned so much from the internet that led me to figure out what was wrong with me. Also, I want to add that I also had very high thyroid antibodies that are now down in the normal range after five months on a gluten free diet. Anyway, hang in there and do your own research. If I had listened to the Dr.'s and just took steroids and "waited for it to go away on it's own" I would still be suffering. I also had my two sons (age 19 months and 5 yrs) tested at Enterolab and they also tested positive. They do not have any symptoms but are now on a gluten free diet to prevent any health problems. Now I am grateful for the hives because if I hadn't had that ***l than I wouldn't have found out about Celiac and would have never had my boys tested. Anyway, so much for the short version! Tina
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 30, 2008
    • 10:57 AM
    Flag this Response
  • So, I started with hives about 2 and a half months ago and have been seeing an allergist ever since. I tested negative for allergies, everything but weed and pollen and I've always had those allergies. The hives are horrible, and if I don't take Zyrtec and Benadryl, I can't function. Even with the medicine I have breakouts that are unattractive and cause people to ask questions. I've also been on steroids. I lost a child in my 7th month of pregnancy and they initially thought perhaps it was a thyroid problem but everything came back normal. One of my auto immune anti-body test results came back a little high but not positive for auto immune disease. The allergist referred me back to my OB knowing we want to get pregnant again, and my OB didn't seem concerned, but said she would run it by a rheumatologist just to be sure. So of course I’m nervous about getting pregnant and think there must be an answer. Seems like maybe I should try going off of Gluten based on other postings. Any help would be appreciated.
  • I have been dealing with hives going on 8 1/2 years. A month after I had my first child is when it appeared. I had been in the emergency room more times than I can count and have had to answer the same questions over and over again.... "what are you allergic to?" "What did you eat different?" " Have you changed soaps?" etc. I had a doctor tell me that he didn't want me to see an allergist because he was affraid that taking me off all medications would trigger another episode. He also told me that if I keep "playing around" with my condition it will kill me. My hive progress very fast now, with in a half an hour with it starting on my wrists it goes to my face and starts to swell my windpipe shut..... I have learned not to panic because it makes it spread faster but I am terrified that this condition what ever it is, that I have passed it to my kids. I take 150 mg of zantac plus a clariton daily, this has been keeping it away but I think that when I catch a germ from my kids I get hives instead of the flu or strep...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 5, 2009
    • 03:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been dealing with hives going on 8 1/2 years. A month after I had my first child is when it appeared. I had been in the emergency room more times than I can count and have had to answer the same questions over and over again.... "what are you allergic to?" "What did you eat different?" " Have you changed soaps?" etc. I had a doctor tell me that he didn't want me to see an allergist because he was affraid that taking me off all medications would trigger another episode. He also told me that if I keep "playing around" with my condition it will kill me. My hive progress very fast now, with in a half an hour with it starting on my wrists it goes to my face and starts to swell my windpipe shut..... I have learned not to panic because it makes it spread faster but I am terrified that this condition what ever it is, that I have passed it to my kids. I take 150 mg of zantac plus a clariton daily, this has been keeping it away but I think that when I catch a germ from my kids I get hives instead of the flu or strep...Hi C. Medos – I too have been dealing with hives. It started about 4-5 years ago. One morning in October, when preparing for a trip, I saw a patch of what I thought was a rash on my back. I really didn’t think anything about it, took 2 Benadryl. I packed the rest of the Benadryl and off we went. Thank God I packed that Benadryl. A few hours into the trip, my lips swelled so big, and a few bumps started to pop up on my body. I took 2 more Benadryl and it seemed to help. By the time we reached our first stop, I found these bumps (now I know they were hives) all over. I continued to take the Benadryl the entire trip, and all that did was keep them at bay for 3-4 hours and they would come back. Taking a show seemed to escalate the amount of hives. On the way home, I called the doctors and got in right away. Steroids and Benadryl was prescribed. Less than 48 hours later, while at work they started up with a vengeance, even though I was on this medicine. I left work for the doctors and on the way, they started to go into my mouth and I was afraid the next step would be my throat, so I went to ER. They immediately took me in and started IVs of steroids and shots of Benadryl. In the words of my Mother, she said my face was so engulfed with the hives I looked like a monster. If you can find any humor in this, it was Halloween. So that’s were they started, and ever since, I too have been dealing with hives. I can’t even tell you how many steroids I’ve been on. I asked my doctor what the ramifications were, and he said we couldn’t worry about that right now. After a few years, when I continued to break out I wanted to refuse steroids, but my doctor said that was not a good idea. I’ve been on Singular, Zyrtec and steroids all at the same time. Not too long ago, I asked if I could drop the Zyrtec and we did. I actually went for a short time with no break-outs and we hoped it was over. But it wasn’t I continued to have break-outs. As long as I caught the onset right away, it seemed we could better control them, but there are times, when I wake up in the morning that my body is engulfed with them. Because they seemed (and still do) to attack my mouth, it was decided I should carry an epi pen with me. That way if I felt I could not breathe, I could give myself a shot, rather then trying to make it to the ER. I’ve been to an allergist and through extensive allergy testing, but nothing was found. Both my doctor and allergist said we may never find what the cause is. The best diagnosis is that my body is trying to fight something and is over producing antihistamines, which is causing the hive reactions I experience. About a year ago, my doctor said he had another patient with the same hive issue that I was experiencing. I believe he said a university in Michigan was doing work related to hives and found some success with patients that were prescribed Doxepin, which is a anti-depressant. I’ve been on that and Singular for about a year. I haven’t had any skin outbreaks, but my mouth still seems to be under attack. When that gets bad, and if Benadryl does not control this, I go back on the steroid pack. I didn’t mean to make this so long, but I wanted to let you know, it seems our issue is very much the same. They too asked me what I had changed in my life, any soaps, cleaning agents, powders, etc. Nothing had changed, nothing. I was so tired of that question. I still get very, I guess upset is the correct statement, that no one can find what the problem is. And I wonder sometimes what my body is trying to tell me and what are we masking by taking these medicines. But like you, my doctor does not want to take me off any medicines. About 2 weeks ago, I requested a blood pull to check for Celiac disease, which has some of the symptoms we both have experienced. While he does not feel that is it, he agreed to check. I hope to have some results next week. The blood was sent out of state for testing. I continue to do Google searches and try to find new information, which is how I found this site. I hope someday, they will find the answer, or this will go away!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 11, 2009
    • 02:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi C. Medos – I too have been dealing with hives. It started about 4-5 years ago. One morning in October, when preparing for a trip, I saw a patch of what I thought was a rash on my back. I really didn’t think anything about it, took 2 Benadryl. I packed the rest of the Benadryl and off we went. Thank God I packed that Benadryl. A few hours into the trip, my lips swelled so big, and a few bumps started to pop up on my body. I took 2 more Benadryl and it seemed to help. By the time we reached our first stop, I found these bumps (now I know they were hives) all over. I continued to take the Benadryl the entire trip, and all that did was keep them at bay for 3-4 hours and they would come back. Taking a show seemed to escalate the amount of hives. On the way home, I called the doctors and got in right away. Steroids and Benadryl was prescribed. Less than 48 hours later, while at work they started up with a vengeance, even though I was on this medicine. I left work for the doctors and on the way, they started to go into my mouth and I was afraid the next step would be my throat, so I went to ER. They immediately took me in and started IVs of steroids and shots of Benadryl. In the words of my Mother, she said my face was so engulfed with the hives I looked like a monster. If you can find any humor in this, it was Halloween. So that’s were they started, and ever since, I too have been dealing with hives. I can’t even tell you how many steroids I’ve been on. I asked my doctor what the ramifications were, and he said we couldn’t worry about that right now. After a few years, when I continued to break out I wanted to refuse steroids, but my doctor said that was not a good idea. I’ve been on Singular, Zyrtec and steroids all at the same time. Not too long ago, I asked if I could drop the Zyrtec and we did. I actually went for a short time with no break-outs and we hoped it was over. But it wasn’t I continued to have break-outs. As long as I caught the onset right away, it seemed we could better control them, but there are times, when I wake up in the morning that my body is engulfed with them. Because they seemed (and still do) to attack my mouth, it was decided I should carry an epi pen with me. That way if I felt I could not breathe, I could give myself a shot, rather then trying to make it to the ER. I’ve been to an allergist and through extensive allergy testing, but nothing was found. Both my doctor and allergist said we may never find what the cause is. The best diagnosis is that my body is trying to fight something and is over producing antihistamines, which is causing the hive reactions I experience. About a year ago, my doctor said he had another patient with the same hive issue that I was experiencing. I believe he said a university in Michigan was doing work related to hives and found some success with patients that were prescribed Doxepin, which is a anti-depressant. I’ve been on that and Singular for about a year. I haven’t had any skin outbreaks, but my mouth still seems to be under attack. When that gets bad, and if Benadryl does not control this, I go back on the steroid pack. I didn’t mean to make this so long, but I wanted to let you know, it seems our issue is very much the same. They too asked me what I had changed in my life, any soaps, cleaning agents, powders, etc. Nothing had changed, nothing. I was so tired of that question. I still get very, I guess upset is the correct statement, that no one can find what the problem is. And I wonder sometimes what my body is trying to tell me and what are we masking by taking these medicines. But like you, my doctor does not want to take me off any medicines. About 2 weeks ago, I requested a blood pull to check for Celiac disease, which has some of the symptoms we both have experienced. While he does not feel that is it, he agreed to check. I hope to have some results next week. The blood was sent out of state for testing. I continue to do Google searches and try to find new information, which is how I found this site. I hope someday, they will find the answer, or this will go away!Hi - I was wondering if you got your test results back yet. My daughter is in a very bad way and resembles yours and another posting to a T. Any help is appreciated.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 3, 2009
    • 08:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I was pointed toward celiac as a cause of my 'ibs'.... 4 years and I still have flareups randomly... I follow my diet, I guess and test new triggers and nothing. I can eat eggs some days and others not even look at them. I can have some dairy but not much, other days two bowls of ice cream and no symptoms.... I also have a rash on my shins, it flared up about the same time my first 'ibs' flareup happened and its flaring up again, now with a rash on my jawline the doctor swears is a facial infection of some sort.... I asked for the blood test for celiac since I have lots of the symptoms and recently lost upwards of 25 lbs with little to no effort.. not that its not lovely to be back down to the size I was in my second year university... but it came off too easily from my perspective. so we'll see, but all signs are pointing to celiac or something more than just IBS....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 30, 2009
    • 09:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Just broke out in hives for a second time...first time was in May 09. I've been on Claritin and Xyxal (at night) because my doctor thinks it's a reaction to a bug bite, but the number of hives are increasing this time around despite the antihistimines. I am wondering whether it is something internal and autoimmune as others have mentioned. I am curious about the weight loss. What is it from? I have had minor weight loss (maybe 5-10 and I usually gain it back a week or two later), but I've had some major life changes and stress, so I thought it was normal. I've always noticed a sensitivity to wheat (and mostly pasta). I get sleepy (but I thought this was the effect of the many carbs). Also, am severely lactose intolerant, so I usually stay away from dairy. I did try goats and sheeps yogurt a couple of weeks ago (around the time of the hives) with lactaid...so I'm trying to put all this together and wondering maybe it's food related. I'm hoping not celiac, but the symptoms on here make me wonder.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 14, 2009
    • 08:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have had problem with sudden an unexplained rashes/hives for over 2 yrs. Usually rash looks like bad bout with poison ivy on front of shins. Itches like crazy. Then something more like hives...red, sandpaper like skin on chest, armpit area, chin and face appear. Also itches like crazy. Allergist says not an allergy. Says is autoimmune problem. History: have type 1 diabetes and was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma 1 1/2 yrs. ago and treated with chemo. Are there any other diabetics, cancer survivors who have chronic, itchy rashes?Hello - I started getting rashes/hives 60 mo after finishing chemo and radiation to treat non-Hodgkins lymphoma 3. It is driving me crazy as well - I do not know what is causing the breakouts there are no common denominators? I have looked all over the internet and I cannot seem to find a connection or an explanation. Your story makes me wonder if it could be some sort of chemo side effect?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 18, 2010
    • 09:48 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have Common Variable Immunodeficiency and have had horrible hives for the past 7 months. My doctor believes that they are autoimmune. Haven't found a good solution yet. good luck in your search for an answer. You can read my blog about my search at http://idiopath.wordpress.com I have Hashimoto's and 3 bouts of hives. In the E.R. constantly. Found a Doctor in S.C during 3 bout. Dr. Alan Kaplan, who put me on Cyclosporin. Hives are gone since 2003. The drug has to be monitered and blood work is a must. Good Luck.
  • It all started with "eczema." I had small super itchy bumps on my fingers. Then, gradually, I started getting small welty rashes on my arms. The rashes moved up my arms to my neck, tummy, sides, back and now, down to my legs. They will come on without any seen cause and they will come out in places where pressure has been applied. For instance, if I carry a heavy bag on my shoulder, I get a nice welty rash there. If I use my forearms to carry wood, I get a large welty rash there also. I've seen one allergist who claims it's an autoimmune thing and "as mysteriously as it comes, it goes." He suggested I take Zyrtec. The Zyrtec doesn't work. Also occuring, I have painful palms. If I use my hands, even for easy household work, my palms get red, sore, and itchy. It will wake me up. I've never had this issue before and am no stranger to hard physical activity.Now I get painful swells in my lips that will temporarily deform my lips. There are tiny little bumps that have a painful tingle (especially when I apply a small amount of pressure--like when I kiss my boyfriend). They are NOT cold sores. They do not hurt if I eat something salty or acidic. They will go away in a couple of hours or hang out for a couple of days. Part of me wishes it was Celiac disease because at least I would know how to treat it. I am seeing a different allergist next week. I don't feel too hopeful.
  • Have had problem with sudden an unexplained rashes/hives for over 2 yrs. Usually rash looks like bad bout with poison ivy on front of shins. Itches like crazy. Then something more like hives...red, sandpaper like skin on chest, armpit area, chin and face appear. Also itches like crazy. Allergist says not an allergy. Says is autoimmune problem. History: have type 1 diabetes and was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma 1 1/2 yrs. ago and treated with chemo. Are there any other diabetics, cancer survivors who have chronic, itchy rashes?I had two occasions when I got the hives so bad on neck, face and legs that I had to be taken to emergency by my husband. My allergist gave me a very special blood test. Took a week to get the answer but he came up with an auto immune disease called "HasimotoThyroiditis". Have him check it out. I now take synthroid ....no more hives.
  • Have had problem with sudden an unexplained rashes/hives for over 2 yrs. Usually rash looks like bad bout with poison ivy on front of shins. Itches like crazy. Then something more like hives...red, sandpaper like skin on chest, armpit area, chin and face appear. Also itches like crazy. Allergist says not an allergy. Says is autoimmune problem. History: have type 1 diabetes and was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma 1 1/2 yrs. ago and treated with chemo. Are there any other diabetics, cancer survivors who have chronic, itchy rashes?I am a type 1 diabetic and have been battling hives and swelling off and on for about 15 years. It comes and goes about every 5 years. I have been on all types of medicne for it and have had all kinds of blood tests. I was just recently told it was an autoimmune disorder and not much you can do about it. I have also had problems with my thyroid for years now and after looking on the internet realized that hives and thyroid problems often go together. I am open to any suggestions or thoughts from others who are also suffering from this.
  • To Medos and Loves Purple; When you have constant itching, rashes, hives and allergic reactions over the years, you need to take a look at Mastocytosis. It is an auto-immune disease that few doctors have heard of and most people go 9 years wrongly or misdiagnosed before they figure out whats going on.(This is long term problem, not for those people with reactions that have only been present for a few days or weeks). Cutaneous Mastocytosis involves the skin only; rashes, flushing, itching like crazy. Systemic Mastocytosis involves the whole body and some people (like me) have anaphylactic episodes with hives that can be life threatening. There is much more to this disease, you need to look into it and then talk to your doctor. If you have had allergy testing that turned out negative, this is a strong possibility. Good luck.
    RamonaB 4 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thank you so much for coming back and sharing your story!!! Your info is really leading me to believe I am at the very least gluten sensitive and possibly even have CS. I am experiencing the same symptoms you are. Already ordered the tests from enterolab.I too will post my results :)Hi everyone,I just want to share my experience with chronic hives and how I found out that undiagnosed Celiac was causing my hives because hives are not a common symptom of Celiac and some people may be suffering needlessly. The short version is that I had severe chronic hives and angioedema for six months. They were so bad that I had to quit my job. I was on prednisone, zyrtec, singulair, and zantac, and I still had to go to the emergency room occasionally to get a shot or IV of prednisone. I saw my regular Dr. many times, an allergist/immunologist, and many different emergency room Dr.'s. I had many blood tests including RAST allergy tests which stated that I was not allergic to anything. THe Dr.'s said I would just have to take medication until it just went away on it's own (why do they always say that?). Anyway, I couldn't accept that as an answer. I read somewhere that a Dr. would rather see a live tiger walk into his office than a person with chronic hives! When you can't sleep because you are being tortured by hives as big as plates and a swollen face you look for answers. In my case I found out I have Celiac disease. I figured it out on my own through trial and error and looking around on the internet. I got lab work to confirm it. Since Celiac is not an allergy I tested negative for any allergy to wheat. No Dr. suggested Celiac. I also tested positive for antibodies to the protein in milk called casein (at Enterolab). I stopped eating any foods containing gluten and casein (very hard) five months ago and my hives have gone down to one small patch every other day and I just take one Zyrtec and they go away in 20 minutes. They have progressively decreased since I stopped eating gluten and casein and they are almost gone completely. For those of you with hives who found this post by googling "hives" and think Celiac could possibly be a cause for your hives, do some research. If you get blood work and it comes up negative that does not necessarily mean you don't have it. You can also be gluten sensitive without having Celiac. Also, you have to be eating gluten for the tests to be valid. I stopped eating it and noticed an improvement and then ate some bread and had to go to the emergency room because of the breakout of hives and angioedema. Anyway, I was able to end my suffering due to the information I learned from message boards and I vowed that if I ever figured out what was causing the torture I was going through I would go back and post because I learned so much from the internet that led me to figure out what was wrong with me. Also, I want to add that I also had very high thyroid antibodies that are now down in the normal range after five months on a gluten free diet. Anyway, hang in there and do your own research. If I had listened to the Dr.'s and just took steroids and "waited for it to go away on it's own" I would still be suffering. I also had my two sons (age 19 months and 5 yrs) tested at Enterolab and they also tested positive. They do not have any symptoms but are now on a gluten free diet to prevent any health problems. Now I am grateful for the hives because if I hadn't had that ***l than I wouldn't have found out about Celiac and would have never had my boys tested. Anyway, so much for the short version! Tina
  • I had hives, too. It was happened 2 years ago. At first, I thought that it was a usual mosquito bites, then as the days goes by the rashes spread on my body-back, arms and legs. And there are times that I can’t sleep well because of this. I don’t know what the right medicine was for this then one of my friends gave me antihistamine. My allergies gone and my sleeps back to normal. And now, I can control my hives with the help of antihistamine. I know now how to handle it again just in case if I’m not in home.
    danneva 6 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement