Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Can't stop gaining weight

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 23 Replies
  • Posted By: thompson82
  • February 25, 2007
  • 01:25 PM

6 years ago, at age 24 I was 125 lbs and a size 6. I am now 210lbs and a size 18, at age 30. In late 2003, I had my gallbladder removed due to one attack but they said it was being blocked so they removed my gallbladder. 6 months later I had a hysterectomy removing the uterus, fallopian tubes and cervix. Then in 2006 I had my ovaries removed because of severe cycsts. (PCOS) After I had my gallbladder removed I gained 40 lbs in 3 months and the doc blamed it on changed eating habits (which I only had one attack so there was no change in eating habits). Then after the last hysterectomy I have gained the remainder of my weight in just a few months. I'm on a lowest dose of estrogen. My cholesterol was PERFECT 18 months ago and now my HDL is 564 and my Triglycerides are 1152!!! They have no put me on Zocor recently to lower that. I'm having bouts with high BP. I exercise on a regular basis and do not believe that I eat out of the ordinary. I would say on a daily basis I eat around 1200 calories. I don't eat very much red meat and try to stay away from saturated fats. I've also had 6 staph infections from the surgeries over the past 2 years or so and now am starting to get them on my face and groin area. The docs checked my CBC and that was about it. Pretty much told me to get off my lazy butt and do something about it. 80% of my weight gain has been in my torso. If anyone has any ideas or information I would gladly appreciate it! Thank you.

Reply Flag this Discussion

23 Replies:

• Your heavy in the mid section but your legs, arms and other areas are normal? I have the same thing and all the same surgeries and all I can say is get use to it.Diabetes is next on the list.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 25, 2007
    • 02:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you been checked for Celiac Disease? The classic symptoms are weight loss along with a host of other symptoms but the fact is, it can present itself with severe weight gain also.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 25, 2007
    • 03:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It might be what you eat rather than how much you eat. Most processed foods are laced with sugar so you might be wise to look out for this.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 25, 2007
    • 03:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Some facts - not opinions: Since your GB is gone, you cannot digest fat correctly. What you need then to help that is concentrated bile salts taken at each meal. Bile is made by the liver and then condensed and stored in the GB. When you eat fat ( and you certainly should eat some good fat) the concentrated bile is not there to help. Fat is an essential nutrient - if you do not have have it you will die. Protein is also essential. Carbs are not. You do not need carbs to stay alive. The PCOS was due to the hypothalamus gland not working correctly. This gland is up inside your brain and directs what goes on in the pituitary, thyroid, adrenals and ovaries. A large study in the very well respected British Medical Journal about 2 years ago proved this. Messing with the ovaries is and was like treating symptoms, and not the real cause. And hormones are made mostly from fat, so with the GB gone you cannot make good hormones. So this is a double whammy - poor quality hormones due to poor fat digestion and then the hypothalamus sends incorrect signals. Now for opinions - are you on only estrogen ? This will cause weight gain. Both estrogen and progesterone are needed, and they must be in balance.Unfortunately, many traditional docs do not understand the complexities and interrelationships of all the hormones, along with other body parts. They tell you that you don't need a gallbladder - which is true as you will continue to live, but your health will and does get worse. That has been my experience as my GB was removed 32 years ago and has contributed a lot to my health challenges. So as a natural health pro that has studied lots of hormone problems and worked with a good number of patients with those problems, I recommend you find a good natural health pro in your area to help you with what is going on. Ask lots of people and go to the one that most people speak well of.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 25, 2007
    • 04:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am always wary of someone quoting facts and some of Ralph's facts are not accurate.Firstly, a balanced diet is essential. If you don't eat any carbohydrates it won't be long until you run into serious health problems. Secondly, it has not been proven that PCOS is caused by the Hypothalamus working incorrectly. If this was the study by Hopkinson, then this study showed it is likely to be due to a complex endocrinal disorder, possibly related to insulin resistance and hyperinsulinism. These are related to Type 2 diabetes and so you should watch your sugar intake. Ralph is correct in saying PCOS shouln't be considered just a gynecological disorder, however.I think any questions relating to diet should be best addressed by a dietician. But you may need to seek out an endocrinologist to work out what might be going on hormonally.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 25, 2007
    • 05:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • OK, unregistered above - I will be a bit blunt, as I do not have time to waste. Where is all your education from ? Formal, informal, both ?Is your experience from also seeing patients ? How many, how often, what types of problems ? There are essential fatty acids, essential amino acids, but NO essential carbs. None. In fact, some docs in the 1920's deliberately put themselves in a hospital for one year and ate only protein and fat, no carbs, and came out as healthy or healthier than when they went in. What did eskimos eat forever until our lovely "civilized" food got here ? Perhaps blueberries for 3 weeks in the summer and only fat and protein the other 49 weeks of the year ? On the hypothalamus, please reference the BMJ article on PCOS. It has been, if I remember correctly, put out in the last two years. I do not have time to search for it today. The blood suger connections are not up to date. And the references for an endocrinologist and dietician are laughable. Dieticians are in lock step with the ridiculous ideas of eating lots of grains and staying away from saturated fat. Why do we have so many obese people when they are following the food pyramid ? I feel for best health chuck all the grains, eat good protein, good fat including saturated, and real veggies. Access www.westonaprice.org for good dietary recommendations base on diets of natives from around the world who were very healthy. If traditional endocrinologists are so good, why do so many people have energy problems, conception problems and more ? Their history is pretty poor, putting females on estrogen derived from horse urine for years, and IMO recommending birth control pills that significantly alter physiology. I began to do a lot of hormone balance work by helping organs heal and thus function correctly because so many females would show up complaining of the poor, little or no care from their MDs in regards to hormone imbalances. Traditional medicine is a major failure for almost all conditions except severe infection and injury. And the rates of disease are going up and up and up. I could go on and on but do not have the time.Awaiting answers. And one last ? Why do those who come here get misdiagnosed or not diagnosed at all and then get no results with the treatment they get, yet they still keep going back to health pros that give them no answers, and health pros that do not continue to find out what is really going on ?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 25, 2007
    • 09:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you been checked for Celiac Disease? The classic symptoms are weight loss along with a host of other symptoms but the fact is, it can present itself with severe weight gain also. Thank you for that information. I will deffinately check into ANYTHING I can find out right now! Thanks again!
    thompson82 5 Replies
    • February 26, 2007
    • 04:38 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It might be what you eat rather than how much you eat. Most processed foods are laced with sugar so you might be wise to look out for this. I try to stay away from sugar and saturated fats (pretty much the heart diet). Thanks for the info!
    thompson82 5 Replies
    • February 26, 2007
    • 04:39 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Some facts - not opinions: Since your GB is gone, you cannot digest fat correctly. What you need then to help that is concentrated bile salts taken at each meal. Bile is made by the liver and then condensed and stored in the GB. When you eat fat ( and you certainly should eat some good fat) the concentrated bile is not there to help. Fat is an essential nutrient - if you do not have have it you will die. Protein is also essential. Carbs are not. You do not need carbs to stay alive. The PCOS was due to the hypothalamus gland not working correctly. This gland is up inside your brain and directs what goes on in the pituitary, thyroid, adrenals and ovaries. A large study in the very well respected British Medical Journal about 2 years ago proved this. Messing with the ovaries is and was like treating symptoms, and not the real cause. And hormones are made mostly from fat, so with the GB gone you cannot make good hormones. So this is a double whammy - poor quality hormones due to poor fat digestion and then the hypothalamus sends incorrect signals. Now for opinions - are you on only estrogen ? This will cause weight gain. Both estrogen and progesterone are needed, and they must be in balance.Unfortunately, many traditional docs do not understand the complexities and interrelationships of all the hormones, along with other body parts. They tell you that you don't need a gallbladder - which is true as you will continue to live, but your health will and does get worse. That has been my experience as my GB was removed 32 years ago and has contributed a lot to my health challenges. So as a natural health pro that has studied lots of hormone problems and worked with a good number of patients with those problems, I recommend you find a good natural health pro in your area to help you with what is going on. Ask lots of people and go to the one that most people speak well of. Thank you so much for your information and being so detailed. I will deffinately look into everything you said! Thank you so much!
    thompson82 5 Replies
    • February 26, 2007
    • 04:45 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am always wary of someone quoting facts and some of Ralph's facts are not accurate. Firstly, a balanced diet is essential. If you don't eat any carbohydrates it won't be long until you run into serious health problems. Secondly, it has not been proven that PCOS is caused by the Hypothalamus working incorrectly. If this was the study by Hopkinson, then this study showed it is likely to be due to a complex endocrinal disorder, possibly related to insulin resistance and hyperinsulinism. These are related to Type 2 diabetes and so you should watch your sugar intake. Ralph is correct in saying PCOS shouln't be considered just a gynecological disorder, however. I think any questions relating to diet should be best addressed by a dietician. But you may need to seek out an endocrinologist to work out what might be going on hormonally. I have been wanting to see an endocrinologist and I think I'll probably make an appointment. I've always wondered if my hormones were out of balance for years! Thanks so much for your info!
    thompson82 5 Replies
    • February 26, 2007
    • 04:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Please get your thyroid checked. It's a simple blood test.Shula
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 26, 2007
    • 04:56 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Please get your thyroid checked. It's a simple blood test. Shula Thanks for the thought. I don't think my doc has ever mentioned that...and it does run in the family!
    thompson82 5 Replies
    • February 26, 2007
    • 05:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • And you don't need to wait for an endocrynologyst appointment. Your regular doc can order that test.Meanwhile, look up "hypothyroid" for the symptoms lists, and don't expect to have all of them.Shula
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 26, 2007
    • 06:37 AM
    Flag this Response
  • OK, unregistered above - I will be a bit blunt, ....Awaiting answers.Ralph, a PhD, BSc and thirty years research and consultancy experience.I recall the experiment to which I think you are referring to and it was carried out by an explorer (and it was done under medical supervision). It was based on the Inuit diet (i.e. no carbs), but it was extremely balanced in terms of protein and fat. This ensured the supply of essential nutrients. He also lost about a stone I seem to recall. It is true that the Inuit have survived on precious little carbohydrates, although it is equally true that there are biological differences (e.g. liver function) in comparison to others. If you compare this diet to a Mediterranean diet that has substantially more carbs, the latter is usually considered by far the better in terms of health. Anybody who switches suddenly to an Eskimo diet is going to be asking for touble.The Hopkinson paper was in the BMJ a couple of years or so ago. No single study can prove that the Hypothalamus isn't working correctly in PCOS. What has been suggested is that hormonal responses are affected and this in turn could affect the response of the Hypothalamus. That is different and is a symptom rather than a cause. The hormonal system is extremely complicated and there are numerous feedback mechanisms. How can statistical correlations with Type 2 diabetes and hyperinsulinism be out of date? They can't have suddenly ceased to ever exist. As for your Weston A Price, wasn't he a dentist? The diets propsed by his foundation are controversial and have been criticised from all fronts and not just traditional medicine. I don't have any strong views on it, but you shouldn't quote it as another 'fact'.It is very considerate that you should provide such an expansive response given your lack of time that you so often state. I actually don't disagree with a lot of what you are saying, but you do not give a balanced view. You are too black and white, and always apparently right. Oh, and you haven't explained to us your qualifications in this area.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 26, 2007
    • 00:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I think it has a lot to do with your gallbladder removal. I have heard so many people say the same exact things after they have had theirs removed but nobody seems to want to find out how to prevent the weight gain.I had my gallbladder taken out in 1998, I had 3 kids by then and was still very skinny and never ever had to worry about weight gain even after 3 pregnancies I was still a 9/10 which for my height is a perfect size. I always eat very healthy and could eat what I wanted. But since I had my gallbladder out I can't go a day with out watching what I eat and still gain weight. I have gained around 55 pounds. I have had my Thyroid checked, all kinds of blood work and to no avail. I have been sent to dieticians and that is a joke to me. Because once I tell them what I eat they always "Well sounds to me like you eat healthy enough and you get enough exercise there shouldn't be a problem, that will be $50.00 please". I am so frustrated. At the time I had my gallbladder out I also had a Tubaligation.I think I am going to take Ralph's advice regarding the bile salts. I hope you know you are not alone, that doesn't really help when you feel this frustrated. I hope we both find an answer, if you do let me in on it. Take Care Thompson82
    Brenda1 1 Replies
    • February 28, 2007
    • 00:16 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Experiment was not by explorers, but by two MDs. Will try to reference it and post the reference. Mediterranean is what is popular and scientific now. We do seem to go thru phases with what is considered good. There is a good amount of fat, but not saturated. How did we survive as a species for 3 million years without so many grains ? Dr. Price was a dentist that traveled the world and studied natives who ate their native diet for that particular area and the natives who ate the "civilized" diet. The ones who ate the native diet, which often consisted of good amounts of saturated fats were the healthiest of the two groups by far. On the PCOS, when the BMJ article came out, I researched for other info and found the studies and theories you are referring to, and if I recall correctly they seemed to have come from the mid and late 1990s. The pancreas is part of the glandular system, but the HPA axis probably has the major influence here. Some say the pituitary is the king, but I feel the hypothalamus is the "power behind the throne." In fact, some of the docs I study with are now saying - would like to hear if you have heard this before - that the hypothalamus has a lot to do with controlling blood sugar and appetite. And an improper signal from the hypothalamus means that the ovaries cannot function correctly due to that. Black and white due to traditional med being the largest cause of death in this country - reference www.mercola.com for the study and also most trad docs do not continue to search to help patients find answers. AND when a patient returns with a success story from a different type of treatment almost all docs do not say "Great ! Please tell me more about it so I can help other patients who appear with similar problems !" When my patients show me something effective, I do thank them and them ask what else they can show me. A short quote here from that wild man Steve Earle - and my 9 and 13 year old girls believe this too, :"Whatever you do, be a seeker." I am an MT for 20 years and a DC for 19 years. In my state, I can legally deliver babies, do OB / Gyn, minor surgery and almost anything else. And have been trained in all of that too. Along with extensive studying and application of nutritional and herbal applications for many types of health problems. I have always kept looking for effective ways to help with health challenges. Patients complaints have led me to study and apply alternatives for allergies (NAET), female hormone imbalances (and NOT using hormone replacement in most cases, just doing a radical thing like encouraging organs to heal), ADHD, digestive problems, Autism, and many more. Working directly with people has helped me understand that all are individuals and must be assessed that way. Constant seeking should lead to RESULTS. Sorry, I am annoyed (not at you) with trad. docs telling patients they do not need their gall bladder. Or a better example now is all the acid reflux mania. Most people over forty produce too little acid, so the acid blockers lead to really poor food absorption. And the TUMS !Why have trad docs forgotten that calcium can only be absorbed in an acid medium ? So the TUMS have lots of calcium but it is physically impossible to get it in the body and then the bones. If this basic chemistry is not understood, what about more complex problems ? OK, I'll stop now. Thanks for listening.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 28, 2007
    • 01:20 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Ralph,I just want to say I'm a fan and hate to see anyone giving you a hard time, and have a question about something in your last post (forgive me thompson for butting into your thread!)My daughter has a food absorption problem due to some erosions in her jejunum that cause her joints to give her pain to the point that she cannot walk on them. the last time the problem cropped up, she took nexium for 6 months and presto, problem solved. Now, 18 months after that, problem back. The root cause has not been found, altho we are working aggressively to find it. until then, she is back on the nexium. I give her enzymes to help her with food absorption. Is there anything else I can do (maybe give her nexium at some other time other than mealtime)? I am concerned becoz you mentioned that the antacids limit absorption. Does nexium fall under this umbrella? thank you, and thanks, thompson - I hope you find the solution to your problem - I have read alot of similar stories from other people who have lost their gallbladders.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 28, 2007
    • 04:39 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thompson82, apologies for this but this is primarily in reply to Ralph's post and is a justification of my suggestions.I actually think you (Ralph) talk a lot of sense and I certainly do not disagree with a lot of the things you say about the approach of modern medicine. The real question is why modern medics are so unsuccessful in diagnosing a lot of health problems, despite their arsenal of advanced tests and equipment. I think that most doctors are caring intellectual individuals and I do not think they can be all written off as useless. The answer I suspect is manyfold.Firstly, I think that there is too much reliance on the results of tests that are carried out. If they don't come back positive, then it is incorrectly interpreted that the patient is physically fit. Secondly, since a lot of medical research is financed by drug companies, then there is an undue emphasis on diagnoses that are linked to the drugs that are available. The tail wagging the dog so to speak. Thirdly, I think that they tend to adopt an 'us' and 'them' approach with regard to alternative diagnoses. I think to an extent that you seemed to be adopting a similar approach (vice versa) and that is why I was giving you a 'hard time'. The main problem with alternative medicine is that there are a lot of people practising it who shouldn't be (and I am sure you will agree with this). In many cases they are doing nothing more than preying on their patients vulnerability and peddling nothing more than 'miracle cures'. I think alternative medicine including herbal remedies, acupuncture, etc. has an enormous amount to offer, but as long as these people misrepresent it, then it will never be accepted properly in modern healthcare.If Thompson82 has a hormonal imbalance, then it makes sense to seek out an endocrinologist with access to the best available measurement techniques. Likewise, it would make sense if she was advised on diet by those who are advising her that her weight gain is cause by a change in diet. At least by being given and adhering to a diet, it will determine whether the weight gain is appropriate.Whatever happens Thompson82, I hope you get sorted out. And you had better let us know how you get on!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I myself seem to have the same issues that thompson has, I had my gallbladder removed in 2004, 2 years after having my first child. I have been diagnosed with PCOS and currently am taking Metformin to regulate insulin resistence. I have weight issues. On top of all this, I suffer from frequent diarrhea. I'm talking everyday 1 to 5 times a day. My gastro doc told me I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I sometimes wonder if there is another underlying cause. I try to make sure that I dont eat really fatty foods like sausage, hot dogs, etc. I am just tired of being this way. I hate leaving home because I worry about if I get sick will I make it to the bathroom. I quess I am wondering if this is caused by the removal of my gallbladder, and are my hormones causing the reproductive issue. When I had my sugar checked by my regular doctor they said they were in normal limits, but my gyn doc says I need to regulate the insulin for the PCOS. I just want to feel normal again. I want to lose the weight and keep it off. I'm frustrated.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 22, 2007
    • 08:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My daughter was recently diagnosed and treated for Cushing's Disease. It is a tumor in the pituitary gland(which Dr.'s refer to as the master gland). She was becoming ill quite frequently with infections as well. Initially, her Endocrinologist blew her off. However, the tests were done. They do bloodwork at different times and she had to collect urine specimens for 24 hours. This is controversial as to how rare this disease is, so persistence is important. Don't give up, too often overweight people are treated as just being fat and lazy!! Good luck!!
    Calvin1958 2 Replies
    • August 23, 2007
    • 02:03 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement