Discussions By Condition: Sexual conditions

Ovarian cyst on CT scan

Posted In: Sexual conditions 2 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 25, 2007
  • 02:56 AM

The other day I had a CT scan to assess kidneys as I am experiencing hematuria. Kidneys were fine, but they found a cyst on my ovary. About 10 years ago I had a partial hysterectomy and I was left with one ovary as the other ovary had a grapefruit-sized cyst on it. Now, 10 years later, the ovary that was left that was good, was diagnosed, by CT scan, with a cyst. I am a little concerned with that cyst as I am now 45 and had a partial hysterectomy so long ago; I guess I am concerned that it could be cancerous. Anyone else experience a partial hysterectomy and then a cyst on the remaining ovary many years later?

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• I am not a radiologist but I know cysts are pretty distinguishable from malignancies on ultrasound. I would see my gynecologist and tell him/her your concerns :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • A woman of any age can have a benign cyst develop. Though it is rare after menopause. Since you have only had a partial hysterectomy your ovaries are still present and they still go through ovulation every month but you don't have a period because you don't have a uterus to slough its lining. You are 45 so you probably haven't hit the physiological menopause when your ovaries shut down. I think it is probably just a functional cyst and it is benign. Just in case you were never told, it is still possible for you to become pregnant even without a uterus, it would be an ectopic pregnancy in the abdominal cavity so it still could happen (sorry if this is something you already know, just wanted to make sure and maybe if other people read this and they didn't know it could help someone out).I would still see the gynecologist though and rule out cancer if it has you concerned! :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement