Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Heat on brain, WHY is it there???

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 5 Replies
  • Posted By: marisa
  • February 24, 2007
  • 09:58 PM

Hi,

Occasionally I get a very strong sensation of heat on my brain, more specifically around the back of my head. It's definitely inside my head, not outside. Actually I can go as far as to say that the heat seems to sit on the membrane covering the brain, the meninges. It's a little bit relieved by putting my head under cold water.

Whenever I mention this to a doctor, even neurologists, they look at me as if I was saying I've been kidnapped by aliens. It usually goes paired with a sensation of pressure inside my head, sometimes accompanied with a headache.

When I was 12 I had a severe concussion after a fall from a horse and spent 2 weeks in hospital. At the age of 25 I had another, minor concussion in a car crash. (I wasn't driving, in case you think I'm reckless!). I'm also suffering with near constant but not severe dizziness, brain fog or fuzziness and some tinnitus, and nausea ( which can also be due to my chronic gastritis).

3 Years ago I was also diagnosed with meniere's disease. MRI showed up normal, vestibular nerve ok, only some problems with electrical activity in the ears. I always thought that the dizziness was related to the Meniere's but actually had this already prior to that, just not to such an extent. (i'm 43 now)

At the moment I would be really happy to find out what is causing the heat on the brain and the dizziness/brainfog, and if there may be a remedy for this. The meniere's medication isn't helping, but that's not uncommon I found out.

Any info is greatly appreciated,

Many thanks,

Marisa

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

• possibly a form of migraine .see oliver sacks book, "migraine".he will tell you how to fix it .(he fixed me)i tell you truly, even a half understanding of the nervous system is infinitely more astonishing than all the x-files episodes put together!no neurologist should allow himself to be surprised by anything it does.(see also "the man who mistook his wife for a hat"--you will think i am making another joke but i am not---again by oliver sacks.you may remember him being played by robin williams in"awakenings" a kindly and insightful doctor.)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • the function of the scalp is to maintain a constant brain temperature.this is a number one priority for the organism.cooling the scalp will not affect brain temperature.the"heat "here is almost certainly hallucinatory ,and quite possibly a migraine aura phenomenon.while no other hypothesis has been proposed ,treating as migraine will at very least do no harm.migraine is so often intractable because it is highly individual and personal .few people are prepared to develop the self knowledge to resolve it within themselves.here we have an intelligent person who i think may be prepared to do so .if this is migraine....and at this stage no one can say it is or is not,then if it is ignored it s next manifestation may not be so easy to live with,or seem so trivial,or to some ,evidently,laughable.doctor sacks is a real neurologist, not a cartoon character.he is among other things the inventor of street psychiatry.if you want more find out for yourself.he tries hard to make his work accessible,even to the most limited mind.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • My father-in-law was complaining of the same problem 'heat in brain' that he is getting sometimes. As usualy I rejected and asked him to relax and think of something else. He dont live in the city where I am. But he visited our place and he said that he is suffering from this problem today. As usual, I rejected. Just for his satisfaction, I touched at different places and surprised to see that I could sense it is little more warmer at the place where he is say that he is feeling. As I could not completely uderstand this and also to make sure, I asked my wife to check and she also found the same. We are planning to visit a nurologist. But to me it is curious.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 5, 2009
    • 04:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I thought it was heat, so I googled it like that and found your post. It's actually pressure. http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:aE-q7ZYg1PQJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intracranial_pressure+pressure+on+the+brain&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=safari and if your really want to worry yourself go here: http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancertypes/Brain/Symptomsdiagnosis/Symptoms.aspx#DynamicJumpMenuManager_6_Anchor_1. Now what you should do is go back to the doctors and tell them you feel pressure on your brain. Hasta luego!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 6, 2010
    • 05:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have exactly the same thing. I have no idea what it is. Sometimes too I feel tingles on the membranes inside. I feel it mostly at the base of the back of my head and the top of my head. I do notice I have been very 'mental' lately, meaing thinking alot. I also spend alot of hours on the computer, do you? Also suffering from depression lately. I wonder if this has something to do with it?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 1, 2010
    • 11:49 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement