Discussions By Condition: Blood conditions

low calcium due to thyroidectomy

Posted In: Blood conditions 14 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • April 11, 2006
  • 10:54 AM

I had a total thyroidectomy last October and ever since have been suffering from very low calcium levels. I currently take 6 Calcichew-D3 Forte and 1 Alfacalcidol 1 mcg per day yet still suffer from constant tingling in my fingers and toes. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed similar after this surgery, and how long it took for your calcium levels to get back to normal. Thank you.

Reply Flag this Discussion

14 Replies:

• Hi, i had hypocalcemia after having thyroid surgery for cancer in 2003. It took 8 months for my calcium to come back to normal levels. Theres a good page about this here http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/diseasemanagement/endocrinology/hypocal/hypocal.htmI had all of the tingling that you talk about and I was given calcium and vitamin d. Even then I had symptoms. It made recovering from the thyroidectomy all the worse and made it harder to lose the weight I gained from the thyroidectomy. After 8 months though the tingling started to go and my levels came back to normal. I hope you feel better soon.Carol.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi. I had half of my thyroid removed due to cancer back in 2000, only to find out six years later the other half still left is also cancerous. A few months after surgery I noticed the first symptoms of hypocalcemia but doctor after doctor (twelve of them) passed this off as nothing. It was not until I became a medical destective and discovered myself what was so severly wrong with me.I have every single symptom of hypocalcemia including seizures, breathing difficulties and erratic heart behaviors as well as numbess and tingling of hands and feet.I currently take calcium carbonate (1 a day) and calcium citrate (3 to 4 a day) and noticed immediate relief to the majority of the symptoms. But I still suffer from the seizures, although not as severe.This disease I understand, is life long but in the majority of patients it can be controlled by calcium supplements and a good diet.You are not alone in your suffering, there are many others such like us...BUT KEEP ON GOING...:)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 30, 2006
    • 06:28 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had a total thyroidectomy last October and ever since have been suffering from very low calcium levels. I currently take 6 Calcichew-D3 Forte and 1 Alfacalcidol 1 mcg per day yet still suffer from constant tingling in my fingers and toes. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed similar after this surgery, and how long it took for your calcium levels to get back to normal. Thank you.And how did this affect your life? I heard that a thyroidectomy may be performed by using a conventional surgical approach or a newer endoscopic method, involving very small incisions. Which of these two did you have?
    DrMistrust 4 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi. I had half of my thyroid removed due to cancer back in 2000, only to find out six years later the other half still left is also cancerous. A few months after surgery I noticed the first symptoms of hypocalcemia but doctor after doctor (twelve of them) passed this off as nothing. It was not until I became a medical destective and discovered myself what was so severly wrong with me.I have every single symptom of hypocalcemia including seizures, breathing difficulties and erratic heart behaviors as well as numbess and tingling of hands and feet.I currently take calcium carbonate (1 a day) and calcium citrate (3 to 4 a day) and noticed immediate relief to the majority of the symptoms. But I still suffer from the seizures, although not as severe.This disease I understand, is life long but in the majority of patients it can be controlled by calcium supplements and a good diet.You are not alone in your suffering, there are many others such like us...BUT KEEP ON GOING...:)I would like to reply with sorry to hear about your unfortunate event in the cancer dept. I had a full thyroidectomy and was taken into hospital because it became so dangerously low, that my eyes started cramping and did not want to close. The nurses at the hospital said that I am suffering from "shame"- litis. Nobody really knows what it is like to have a problem like low calcium. pls contact me if anyone feels the need to talk about it. It will help you and it will help me... town.country@telkomsa.net Georgie
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 22, 2008
    • 11:17 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i had one thryoid gland removed due to cancer in nov 2007, then the other was removed april 2008, was in hospital overnight everything was fine. then 1 1/2 days later my toes, legs, fingers, hands, mouth and lips were tingling. my eyes were spasming (felt like they were shaking) muscles cramps, so i went to hospital and they kept me there for 8 days to try to stabilise my calcium levels with calcium effervesent drinks, injections and tablets. when i left hospital i was on 9 calcium tablets and 4 vitamin d tablets a day. I had to have a blood test every two days to check levels. i am slowly decreasing the mediciation and am down to 4 cal & 2 vit d a day, and blood tests every two weeks. the levels are still going up and down. i feel good some days and very tired others with tingling. not sure what the future holds but am hangin in there. Am also having radiation iodine treatment in a month.
  • Appreciate reading about all of your experiences. I had a total thyroidectomy on dec 23rd. Similar to another poster, the tingling came about a day after I was out of the hospital, and it was pretty intense through my hands, feet, legs and face....and back I went in. They gave me calcium via IV for 2 days. Now taking calcitriol, calcium citrate, magnesium, and vitamin D. I'm only 36 years old and feel like a little old lady with all my pills to take. I didn't anticipate this, so I've been pretty frustrated. Now I still haven't been able to go back to work completely, been doing half days at most this week, feel like I could sleep for days, I'm confused... my fiance said I was sleep walking the other night, the tingling is still around here and there, I have a rash on my face and feel totally weak. I'm also constipated. Feel like a train wreck and after reading some of your experiences, I'm scared this won't be resolved by the time I get married in May. Anyway, it's kinda nice to vent to whoever's out there listening so thanks.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 8, 2009
    • 05:30 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i had one thryoid gland removed due to cancer in nov 2007, then the other was removed april 2008, was in hospital overnight everything was fine. then 1 1/2 days later my toes, legs, fingers, hands, mouth and lips were tingling. my eyes were spasming (felt like they were shaking) muscles cramps, so i went to hospital and they kept me there for 8 days to try to stabilise my calcium levels with calcium effervesent drinks, injections and tablets. when i left hospital i was on 9 calcium tablets and 4 vitamin d tablets a day. I had to have a blood test every two days to check levels. i am slowly decreasing the mediciation and am down to 4 cal & 2 vit d a day, and blood tests every two weeks. the levels are still going up and down. i feel good some days and very tired others with tingling. not sure what the future holds but am hangin in there. Am also having radiation iodine treatment in a month.hi, six months later still on 3 cal & 1 vitd tablet per day with fortnightly blood tests. The only time i've ever been constipated is due to hypocalcemia, and due to this i now have diverticulitis ( which can be caused from straining to go to the tiolet) and just found out i have an enlarged heart which can also be caused from low calcium levels. HEY THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what i've found to be helpful is having 1 SANDACOL 1000 evfervescent drink when tingling hangs around for a while. gives you a boost of calcium and makes symptoms go away. Doctor also says i have depression. Yes this is also caused from low levels of calcium. ( i think im ok, im just get depressed when he tells me that there are more things wrong with me.) Who would have thought that calcium plays such a HUGE part in the body!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 1, 2009
    • 09:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had a total thyroidectomy last October and ever since have been suffering from very low calcium levels. I currently take 6 Calcichew-D3 Forte and 1 Alfacalcidol 1 mcg per day yet still suffer from constant tingling in my fingers and toes. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed similar after this surgery, and how long it took for your calcium levels to get back to normal. Thank you.I had a total thyroidectomy in 2004 and it took about 2 1/2 years for this to get under control. It is due to your parathyroids being disturbed during the surgery. And don't be surprised if your body crashes from time to time. My levels crashed again 2 years ago and it has not been the same since. They do not know what made my body stop absorbing the calcium we tried switching to a different kind in case I had just gotten use to it. It is not working I am currently on 10,800 MG of calcium w/ Vitamin D a day. And I have had to get calcium pumped into me thru an IV 4 times. I'm not trying to make this sound bad or anything and your levels should get under control just got to work hard at it and be monitored frequently. I wish you well in your travels!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 11, 2010
    • 05:36 PM
    Flag this Response
  • one word calcitriol people its the only thing that absorbs calcium when you have had damage to the parathyroids at leat thats what my endocronologist says i take 4, .5 calcitriols a day and a calcium carbonate
  • I had a total thyroidectomy last October and ever since have been suffering from very low calcium levels. I currently take 6 Calcichew-D3 Forte and 1 Alfacalcidol 1 mcg per day yet still suffer from constant tingling in my fingers and toes. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed similar after this surgery, and how long it took for your calcium levels to get back to normal. Thank you.You may want to check this page out. My niece is going through the same thing right now and I found this page:http://parathyroid.com/low-calcium.htm
  • I had a thyroidectomy Sept 13, 2010 and began having all the symptoms of hypocalcemia. Now 3 1/2 months later I still have the symptoms but not as severe, however, my eyesight in the right eye is getting worse and worse and always fluttering. On December 1st I had the doctor switch me from Synthroid to Natural desiccated thyroid ERFA. My levels jumped from .83 to 26 and needless to say my body is all messed up. Has anyone else had problems with eyesight? and has anyone out there switched from Synthroid to the Natural thyroid? If so I would like to hear about your experiences.
    Hachey 1 Replies
    • January 3, 2011
    • 05:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I was diagnosed with medullary thyroid cancer in August 2010. Had total thyroidectomy in September 2010. Also had two parathyroids removed. Calcium levels crashed 1 day after surgery. Ended up being in hospital for 10 days (for an overnight surgery!) to try get calcium levels up to normal. Had calcium via IV, calcium citrate tabs, cacitriol, vit D, hydrochlorothiazide and magnesium IV. Am still on 8000mg of calcium per day, 2000mg Vit D per day, 4 - .5 tabs calcitriol per day, 25mg hydrochlorothiazide per day and 150mg synthroid per day. Still have extremely low calcium levels. Have been getting 2grams calcium via IV twice per week for the last 4 months. AND, according to lab tests, my parathyroids are supposedly functioning within a normal level. My drs. cannot explain why I am still so low in my calcium levels. Symptoms are constant tingling/numbness in my hands, feet and face; "asthma" caused from airway constriction, dizziness, anxiety, seeing black spots, almost passing out, tremors, poor vision, etc. Am hoping that at some point someone can figure out why my body is not absorbing the calcium!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 22, 2011
    • 07:03 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had a total thyroidectomy last October and ever since have been suffering from very low calcium levels. I currently take 6 Calcichew-D3 Forte and 1 Alfacalcidol 1 mcg per day yet still suffer from constant tingling in my fingers and toes. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed similar after this surgery, and how long it took for your calcium levels to get back to normal. Thank you.I too had a total thyroidectomy in mid May 2011 and have ever since had constant tingling in my fingers and toes. I have been told by the endocrinologist that it will go away as soon as my remaining parathyroid glands (one was also removed during the thyroidectomy) kicks back in. But no one has told me how long this will take. Glad to hear from another poster that it took 8 months for them (others have said years or never). I currently am taking 2400 mg of generic calcium a day and it seems to contain the tingling but I must take it daily or the tingling comes right back. Hope you find relief.
  • I too had a total thyroidectomy in mid May 2011 and have ever since had constant tingling in my fingers and toes. I have been told by the endocrinologist that it will go away as soon as my remaining parathyroid glands (one was also removed during the thyroidectomy) kicks back in. But no one has told me how long this will take. Glad to hear from another poster that it took 8 months for them (others have said years or never). I currently am taking 2400 mg of generic calcium a day and it seems to contain the tingling but I must take it daily or the tingling comes right back. Hope you find relief.I had a total thyroidectomy last monday and they told me my calcium levels were too low so I had to take oral calcium plus 4 IV bags of calcium which gave me bad headaches, they sent me home with synthroid 0.1 mg and taking 6 OSCAL 500 + d everyday and to call them if i had any numbness or tingling which I did the next day because I couldn't sleep due to the tingling...called my surgeons office they said to increase my calcium supplements to 9 a day...Thursday July 21, 2011 I suffered a grand mal seizure in my living room...saw my neurologist today who thinks it maybe a metobolic seizure due to low calcium levels...anyone else have problems like mine...waiting on my endocrinologist to call me back...
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement