Discussions By Condition: Colon conditions

can colonoscopy cause diverticulitis

Posted In: Colon conditions 27 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 24, 2007
  • 01:37 AM

I had a routine colonoscopy a year ago. They told me everything looked pretty good. I did have a hiatal hernia and some diverticulosis and NO polyps. After I woke up I felt a hard area above/under my navel. I asked and they said it was gas from the scope and it will go away. A few days later I felt tons of bubbling and started to bloat up. This would get worse after being on my feet most of the day....mainly towards the end of the day. I called my family doctor and he said everything looked fine on the colonoscopy and he didnt think it was anything to be concerned about. After a few days of this I started having diareaha. I once again called the doctor and they had me come in. All he did was push on my stomach and gave me some vicodine. A few more days went by and by this time the vicodine was making me constipated. I felt bubbling and lots of painful bloating which sent me to the er. It actually felt as though I had a bowling ball in my gut and for some reason, my female parts hurt. I made it through the weekend by laying around, drinking lots of fluids and not eating much. Monday I called the doctor again because I couldnt even make it through work. This was awful. I missed so much work. Finally I talked him into doing an H-pylori test and a stool check. After that he put me on Naproxin for the pain I was feeling all around my ribcage area and under my navel. This was not helping me. I called him back and he got angry with me. He told me I was stressing. Actually I was crying because I was so fed up with feeling so dang weak. This went on for a few months and finally I went to the obgyn to make sure it wasnt female related. I couldnt hardly have a normal bowel movement and also was starting to have a hard time urinating and it was very concentrated when I did go, even though I was drinking tons of water. My uterus felt huge to me. She found that I had bacterial vaginosis! She treated me with metrodiazinol for 7 days. I felt somewhat better but not quite myself. Bloodwork showed high white cells. I just wasnt feeling any better and all I wanted to do was sleep. Two more trips to the ER. They gave me a pain shot, a pelvic exam and sent me home. I missed my whole summer and didnt get to swim once in my new pool. I went back to the doc and he yelled at me and told me to take these samples he gave me for two weeks. I asked him what they were and he said it was for pain. I got home and realized it was Cymbalta, an anti depressant. I looked this up on the net and found that it is also used for some pains. I didnt take it...I was furious. I found a new doctor and he did bloodwork and my white cell count was climbing. He ordered a ct scan and low and behold, I have diverticulitis!!!! I felt like I was dying. I never had intestinal problems before that colonoscopy!!!! I was put on Metrodiazanol and leviquin at the same time for about a month. Also was told no seeds, nuts, tomatos or anything that would get stuck. I finished all the meds and he took more blood. White cell count still high but not quite as high. That weekend I broke out in a red rash under my breasts that sent me to Urgent Care. She told me it was from all the anti biotics I had taken. A yeast infection but I did not have that in the female region. She gave me some cream. By monday I felt like I had shingles or something going straight through my chest to my back and my whole back was locking up and also my neck. My new doc ordered another ct scan and there was still some inflamation. He sent me back to the gi doc who did the colonoscopy. This guy seemed nervous to me. He offered to put me on meds used for treating e-coli, (forgot the name). I took these for two weeks. When I followed up, he asked me if I wanted more! He had a gastric emptying done on me and he said mine was very slow. He wants to put me on a low residue diet. I tried this for 3 days until I became very constipated from not eating veggies or fruit. I was also sent to oncologist for tests pertaining to the high white cell counts. He ordered bloodwork, bone scan and bone marrow biopsy. Finally the high white count was dropping and the bone marrow and bone scan came out fine. Here I am a year later and Im still having problems and I cant get any help. Did he injure me during that colonoscopy??? Did I get bacteria from this procedure?? I will never know but I am miserable. I dont feel the same anymore. I am very depressed and I always feel sorta weak. I have lost 25 lbs and am trying to lose some more so they cant blame things on my weight or diet. My question is this.....could I have gotten this from the colonoscopy and did it cause this diverticulitis? And why does it feel like gas is escaping my intestines and getting into my system. ( I no longer pass any gas) I feel like I have a leak. Where do I go from here and how do I live again. I thought colonoscopies were supposed to be a good thing, but Im a mess and now its affecting my marrage because I never want to go out anymore. I feel handi capped now. The worst thing is when Im in a sitting postion on the couch. Something feels not right and it feels like its being pinched or something so in order to get comfy, I have to prop myself back. The only relief I get is laying down. Please help me. I want to live normally again. Im missing so much in life now. I feel like I was failed my the medical field. And now they want to know if I am under stress....dah!!!!!

Reply Flag this Discussion

27 Replies:

• I'm only a teenager...but after hearing the severity of the pains you have, mine are merely nothing. I really truly feel for you and I am *****d at the doctor that did this to you. I read somewhere on the net that there is a chance that a colonoscopy can cause intestinal scraping and tears. So my guess is that you are right. Also, you need to take serious action regarding this...only you know your body the best so take some action to complain against the doctor. I hope everything works out for you. God bless you!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 25, 2007
    • 03:34 AM
    Flag this Response
  • hi i am sorry to hear about your ordeal with your doctors, i would definitely take it further. you have enough to deal with.i get diarrahea intermittently a lot with lower left sided abdominal pain. i have had this for about 5 years now. i used to pass mucus but over time i am now passing blood along with the mucus and whether or not the stools are loose there is always the presence of blood. I have lost a lot of weight when an attack comes on and feel really drained. After a rectal exam with my doctor who said there was a lot of blood, i was sent for my second colonoscopy. I have had 2 colonoscopy (one recent) they took biopsies but said otherwise it was normal and they did not find anything wrong. I do not feel well since this colonoscopy either but nothing like you just pain and discomfort especially when i eat.It is very frustrating as it is ongoing and ive tried eliminating things from my diet, eating more fibre, reducing alcohol etc and nothing has worked.
    caroline2007 6 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am not an expert but I want to try to help the best that I can. First the diverticulosis you had before the colonoscopy, some people just have it and it doesn't bother them until an infection occurs and you develop diverticulitis. I do highly doubt the scope gave you an infection because I have watched and had about 14 scopes myself (because I have ulcerative colitis) and they are very thourough about sterilizing scopes and using lubricant that is sterile. Now it is possible that an infection developed because of something you ate that got caught in one of the "tics" or pockets in your intestines, that is what the antibiotics should have cleared up. Now it sounds like you have had some pretty miserable doctors, but please don't write off all doctors as jerks, because there are some fantastic ones out there. I am just curious if a chest xray was ever taken. Also when you are laying on your back and if someone pushes on your abdomen and then lets up, does it hurt worse when they push down or when they let go?I would say to do some searching and find another gastroenterologist. He/she may want to do another scope, but they also maybe able to help explain what is going on.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Caroline-I have a high index of suspicion that you have ulcerative colitis. I know that the tests aren't saying you do, but those sound like classic signs to me (I have had it for 11 years now) Everything you explain I have dealt with.Perhaps you should try a different gastroenterologist, because it is not normal to be losing this blood and you are probably anemic and it is causing you to feel run down.
  • Im not losing blood. Im the person on the top who had diverticulitis and they could not diagnose it for 6 months due to a normal colonoscopy. All that they found was a hiatal hernia and a small amount of diverticulosis. The next day is when everything bad started happening....they said i was wrong, everything looked great on the colonoscopy. Well everything didnt feel right ever since they did that darned thing. I kept telling them and telling them I felt like I had something going on even the next day. This took 6 months and a new doctor who finally found my white cell count climbing and did a ct scan and saw it. Thank God for him...at least he beleived me. I was so sick for months and i even had 3 trips before him to the er, where they just gave me pain shots and sent me home. I thought I was gonna die!!!!!!
  • diverticulosis is pouches that form in the colon wall, diverticulitis is an infection of these pouches. If you're not passing gas and it feels like it's leaking inside of you, THIS IS AN EMERGENCY!!!!!!!!!!! I went to the ER in Sep. 05 and presented with lower left abdominal pain and pain in the genital region (like i'd been kicked in the nuts, to excuse the expression).............. turns out my colon had ruptured due to diverticulitis and I had to have a major operation, wear a colostomy bag for 6 months and then go through a reversal surgery in April 2006............. DIVERTICULITIS IS NO JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope my warning isn't too late...................Dave31yo male
  • I've had about ten colonoscopies. After each one I have problems with constipation, bad bloating and a feeling of gas building up in my stomach. This can go on for about 2-6 months. My doctor wasn't any help but I visited my wife's naturopath and she told me that the preparation fluid that you drink to clean you out before the colonoscopy also cleans out all the good digestive bacteria. For some people this takes longer than others to re-establish and without it, you're digestive process has problems. Also, depending upon the amount of biopsies taken and the skill of the surgeon doing it, this can in my case at least, cause digestive problems to last for a few weeks until they heal.The natuopath told me to eat yougurt with all the bacteria/Acidophilus bifidum etc in it a couple of times per day after a colonoscopy and I now get over the symptoms in just a few days.However, if this doesn't help it may be more serious as the others here have suggested. The introduction of bad bacteria might be a possibility so make sure you persist with a diagnosis.
  • I have experienced something similar to what you have talked about. It is too bad that symptoms are often ignored by doctors especially if you are female. If I may go on a tangent, women have been regarded as hypochondriacs in the past. It is no wonder that hysterectomy which comes from the Greek is the idea that we can cut out the hysteria by cutting out the female organs. O.K...I guess that's enough for now. In any case, although this has been a few days that I have been unable to have a bowel movement, I am beginning to get angry and believe that the colonoscopy could have led to some scraping (as one person mentioned in another response something which I thought could have happened), and if the instruments were not thoroughly cleaned (I know we'd like to think they are but nurses, medical assistants, and doctors are people too with human frailties) I do believe that we can contract bacteria from others who may have certain problems such as diverticulitis or whatever bacteria cuases diverticulitis (granted I am not a doctor). After the colonoscopy, the paper was filled out and I left. I was not too groggy but groggy enough not to ask pertinent questions such as (1) when will I have my next bowel movement; (2) and what types of foods should I eat and how much after surgery. I think before they boot you out of there, they should provide one with a bit more information. These are the types of information that should be provided before one leaves or given to one on a piece of paper instead of a list of four or five conditions that would require your return. I am sorry to hear about your frustration and lack of response, and while I do not endorse lawsuits, I would, despite the form that you signed for consent, consider making a case against them for all of your pain and suffering.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 14, 2008
    • 06:39 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have two comments after trying to find info. on this subject for my mom who has had two colonoscopies, the second to check things out after many symptoms discussed here were occurring after the first. Now they say she has ulcerative colitis and these symptoms did not occur until she had the colonoscopies. The first was an article from the FDA about the machine or method used to clean instruments. It was a FDA Public Health Notification: Custom Ultrasonics. Inc. Endoscope Washer/Disinfectors dated Feb. 27, 2007. If you need more info go to www.fda.gov. This was a regulatory action that was taken because "the company failed to comply with FDA regulations that help ensure devices are safe and effective". This could certainly pass infection from one patient to another. But how would we ever find out about these things? Hospitals or facilities doing these procedures aren't going to voluntarily tell you the machine that cleans these instruments may have caused a problem. I would urge everyone to check out the cleaning method your doctor/facility used.The second comment is about eating yogurt for recharging the good bacteria in your gut. My mom's doctor told her to get VSL#3. Go to the web site sigmatau.com. This is the good bacteria in large quantites, dry form, you can sprinkle on cold food. It seems to lessen some of those symptoms of bloody/mucousy stools. Hope this info helps someone.
    cattle 1 Replies
    • January 28, 2008
    • 02:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • my father-in-law is having much of the same symptoms since his colonoscopy. they say they cannot find anything wrong. how scary and miserable. i will keep researching.
  • Wow. I have been miserable also after my colonoscopy. I got mine in Dec 07and started getting mucus covered stools and thought maybe it irritated my colonso I gave it a few weeks and I wasn't having any pain. Well it didn't resolve and then started getting pains and cramping in my left hand side so I went back and he said it is IBS . I told him I never had mucus before the colonoscopy and I was concerned it was an infection. He pushed and prodded me on my left side and told me don't worry about it isn't diverticulitis. I still am getting mild to moderate cramping in my left side and am constipated . To say I am upset would be an understatement. I wish I would have never got the colonoscopy now because it has seemingly damaged my colon . I am going to get my stool checked to see if there is inflamation or some infection causing this.I know people think colonoscopiesare safe but they came do damage if the dr. is not gentle pushing it through or the scopesaren't cleaned properly.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Felt a need to respond when I found this post. My hubby presented with severe left quadrant side pain (12 days post-colonoscopy where doc told him he had diverticulosis and nothing to worry about) after returning from a fishing trip about 3.5 years ago. He didn't want to go to emergency so it was the next day when I quietly called his doctor and he said to get him in on emergency. He came close to passing out in the ER hall going from bathroom to holding room. He had a high fever/staph/strep and went through a cooldown period trying to get him ready for surgery, actually it was the surgeon's wish to get him well enough to send him home, wasn't meant to happen..took 5 days to get his fever down after lots of pain and IVs...he had 11 inches of a perforated colon removed and a colostomy due to the infection being so great. He was reversed 5 months later and has been doing fine for 3 years now. Now, I just learned on Aug 13th that I have diverticulitis (xray from colonoscopy shows only one divertiula inflamed) and have been on Alinia 500 mg 2xdaily and am in diarrhea ***l virtually. I have constant diarrhea and the GI docs nurse told me it was normal (help) and not to do anything to stop it. Alinia is actually for the diarrhea associated with giardia (parasite) so I understand that but I personally think I've had a severe reaction to the Alinia. I do see the GI Doc tomorrow (will go without eating for a day so I can actually see him (don't think they make that thick a diaper for me to wear, lol)... My fare for the day is very little and small amounts of food on low fibre diet with a lot of water/juices..I take probiotics, eat Activia yogurt, sugar free tapioca, puddings, jello, cottage cheese with fruit, mashed potatoes, green beans, beets, stewed carrots, one half banana, that's about it. Egg yolks make me ill and I've always loved eggs. Every time I eat anything, it is off and running. Just my .02 on my personal and ongoing experience with diverticulits.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 1, 2008
    • 06:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • http://www.cdiffsupport.com/aboutcdiff.htmlI hope this link will help you out. I have been suffering from similar conditions since a colonoscopy two years ago. Just finally diagnosed with a colon biopsy. Hope the antibiotic treatments will work. Just something for you to look at. Good LuckJim
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 7, 2009
    • 01:41 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello. I feel I made a terrible mistake. I wanted to have plastic surgery. The surgery center preformed a series of tests prior to the surgery. In the past I had pains that I could not explain, but they came and went. It was determined I had an ulcer. I was given a scrip for prilosec. I only used it if I felt I needed it. A week prior to my elective surgery I had a colonoscopy. Within the week between the two procedures I felt yukie but blew it off. Three weeks post op. Out of no where I start having severe upper abdominal pain, sweating, shallow breathing and vomit for several hours. Then it is gone. After two trips to urgent care within a week I started doing research and everything is pointing to a bacterial infection either ulcer related or after my colonoscopy. I had scopes in both ends (sorry), after reading this I don't know which end is up. I went back to the same Dr. Who quickly wrote me 2 scrips for antibiotics (they did not work).I am constantly tired. I did not pass wastes for 3 to 4 days at a time when I 1st came home. Now as soon as I eat..911 move quickly. I have had three 'episodes' and I am 1 month post op. I returned to work just to be taken off. What did I do? Will I ever be normal? Why was I not informed of the dangers when I signed 'l won't sue' papers. I have an app. Tomorrow..thank you all as I will bring all the 'right' questions up.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 28, 2009
    • 11:56 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Yes, I too have not been right since colonoscopy 6 years ago. Before the procedure, I had a history of occasional IBS but this was due to lactose intolerance. If I had problems, I could always trace it to something I had eaten. Since the colonoscopy, I have diarrhea between 20 minutes to 2 hours after eating or drinking anything. The only way I can work or even leave the house at all is too starve myself. I have been to countless doctors and none of them believe me. All they do is prescribe useless medications. I have now developed skin and scalp conditions and I'm losing my hair. I feel as though I am slowly being poisoned by my own body! I have read somewhere that this could be yeast overgrowth. I am unsure how to treat it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 30, 2009
    • 03:37 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My Granny was diagnosed with diverticilitis and was told to go the followng week for a colonoscopy. She is 82 years old and very independent and able to do practically anything. She did have a hernia that the doctor had said was not a big dea because it wasn't hurting her. I took her for the colonoscopy and afterward, the doctor said that her gallbladder had 3 stones in it, her diverticulitis was not as inflamed, and her hernia did not see to be bothering anything so he was putting her on antibiotics and she should be fine. Exactly a week later, I was taking her to the ER because her abdomen and sides were hurting so bad, she could barely walk. After 9 hours in the ER, they decided to do a CT Scan and then the next morning decided to do an exploratory surgery. Come to find out, there had been a slit in her bowels, and the hernia had wrapped around her intestines, and gangrene had set up. They had to remove alot of her colon and she now has a colostomy bag. Now, my boyfriend who is 25, went to the doctor because his side was hurting. he got a CT scan and hisdoctor said it was diverticulitis and he needed to get a colonoscopy, but he needed to wait 6 weeks after his diverticulitis cleared up because the scope could tear his intestines beause the diverticulitis makes theintestinal wall so thin. Would have been nice to know this before my Granny got hers. The surgeoneven made a comment that it was ridiculous for her to have a colonoscopy while still having diverticulitis. It's been a struggle for her to deal with all this considering she was getting around just fine before.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 20, 2009
    • 00:06 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have refused to have a colonoscopy based on many horror stories like yours and also that medical researchers have told me that it is impossible to truly sterilize the equipment. No doubt you got an infection from the first colonoscopy along with a small tear in the intestine, which could have been lethal. I hope you get to a leading edge doctor who can help you. These infections can be difficult to treat - especially if they are low level infections - now referred to as stealth infections. There are also mycoplasma infections - mycoplasma has no cell wall and can go anywhere. They can cause inflammation anywhere in the body and a high white blood count. There are only two labs in the country that test for it. Good luck and don't give up. Someone out there has the answer for you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 27, 2009
    • 00:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Sounds to be like another medical ***k up, long story but see my personal web page www.kerrymaidmentinfo.co.uk to see what happened to me. My life has been absolutely ruined by a surgeon, I had to have my entire colon removed and ive had 11 ops in 4 half years. I have a court case pending but no amount of money will give me back my colon or the life I had before, I am now 35 and incontenient, unable to have more children (I have a daughter) and my life is horrible. The problem you have in a court case is proving it as they will deny it, and pick through your medical history and if there is any depression, most things will be put on that. A month before I had my colon removed, I was told by the NHS's shrink it was all in my head, such crap! These people have no idea, bowel problems affect every aspect of your life, you cant live without food. I had my colon removed and knew there was a chance I could die as a fatality percentage is linked to it, it was horrendous, a day after my op I was seriously ill and spent 3 days on antibiotic drips and wires. I then spent 3 weeks in a wheelchair, it was mid 2009 my colon was removed & my life is still ***l. See my web and contact me direct, if I can help I will. PLEASE MAKE SURE IF ANY OTHER SURGEON LOOKS AT YOU, THAT YOU GOOGLE THEM AND DO ALL CHECKS YOU CAN. A slap dash foreign surgeon ruined my life with a scalpel, my current surgeon is fantastic and is totally honest with me, ive never had any guarantees from him as he is clearing up someone's elses mess, but he is a pioneer in his field and the only surgeon I let operate on me, Ive been in 8 different hospitals and you get told different stories by them all. You need someone you can trust. Ive had colonoscopies, sigmoidoscopies and many other interventions, but if you were ok before then they obviously have damaged you. It makes me so angry, Ive heard from so many people on this, one person I know refused a proceedure because of what happened to me, only to find out later she'd been misdiagnosed anyway, there was nothing wrong with her. Colin Hendry lost his poor wife due to incompetent surgeons, it is all so wrong and I hope you can recover and have a life back x
    crunchiejoe 61 Replies
    • January 11, 2010
    • 08:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Your gastroenterologist is supposed to take your complaints seriously and any doctor who dismisses your pain needs to be replaced ASAP. The last doctor that showed anger towards me was reported to the AMA for his trouble. I find that inexusable! I have many of the symptoms mentioned here and because of repeated er visits and bouts with the divers flaring up and some cdiff (a gift from the hospital)had to stall my colonoscopy & endoscopy for a couple of months. When doc was finally able to get it done we found several things that we had to deal with. Hiatal hernia, Barretts (biopsied), internal hemorroids (rubber banded) and of course the divers. After my tests I had alot of gas, a little tenderness here and there but otherwise ok. A week later I was back to the previous behavior, cramping and etc. My doctor recommended Citrucel saying he thought it worked better than the Metamucil I have been on (unfortunatly he is wrong about that) the Metamucil works better by far and you don't have to take as much of it. I am also on probiotics. Anyway I am facing the very real possibility of surgery and am (almost)looking forward to it as it will mean the end of the chronic pain. Otherwise divers just shadows you like an old ghost just waiting to get you when you slip up on diet or miss your meds.
  • My alternative doctor (12 years of schooling, dropped out of med school because the @##$ they were trying to brainwash him with. He became a chiropractor) told me that these kind of symtoms can sometimes be a systemic yeast infection or over growth. Presently I am being treated for a bad colonoscopy 20 months ago. He seems to think my bowel valve on the left side is full of yeast (due to the colonoscopy). I also have bladder cyctitis which he thinks is connected. Had blood work done last week, get results later this week. Hope it tells him a lot. All I know is that I have been to over 30 some doctors and they all look at me like I am telling them a story. Another thought also, after 4 gynos. I was diagnosed with precancerous uterus and ovaries by a surgeon. The 5th gyno. agreed and removed them. My chiro. says that the yeast overgrowth may be starting to cause manifistations in other organs of my body, such as the ovaries and uterus. Hope he can find out and stop it. My liver and kidneys seem to be affected also. Lovely isn't what we go through to get decent medical care!
    cozynana 39 Replies
    • September 28, 2010
    • 11:58 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement