Discussions By Condition: Muscle conditions

Hip Flexor Muscles

Posted In: Muscle conditions 11 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 23, 2007
  • 04:07 PM

I have horrible pain in the area of the hip flexor muscles. It is made worse by excersize. To the point that I feel like some one turned an electric burner on high in my pelvis.

Any one have any ideas what type of doctor I see for this?

Thanks

Reply Flag this Discussion

11 Replies:

• I have pain that varies between a spasm and just an awful sudden pain, always when walking. It started after I had been doing a lot of sitting at my computer, got up at night to use the bathroom and while walking felt a sharp pain in upper fron leg/hip. I thought it was sciatica. After GP, ortho and PT, Chiropractor said it was h/flexor and he has been stretching and lengthening. Much better but still get sudden pain when walking fast. spasm when walking slow. Uneven payement like walking across a steep driveway brings it on. anyone else have this?
    le19555 4 Replies
    • October 18, 2007
    • 03:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It could be a tight iliotibial band caused by lack of proper stretching. If the muscle has shortened it will be causing a lot of pain possibly the band is snapping over the greater trochanter I.E you hear your hip snap and click this is what is usually happening. A course of gentle exercise such as yoga or Pilates should help ease this problem.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 21, 2007
    • 04:15 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Can the problem be completely cured?
    le19555 4 Replies
    • October 21, 2007
    • 04:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • A sort course of anti-inflammatory medications, or possibly a cortisone injection will help control inflammation if this is contributing to the problem. Physical therapy may be useful for stretching out the muscles and tendons that cause a snapping hip and may help prevent the problem.Surgery is rarely necessary, and reserved for patients who have severe symptoms for long periods of time with adequate trial of non-operative treatments. If this is the case, surgery to relax the tendons, may help with the symptoms.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 21, 2007
    • 06:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • The thing is it came on all of a sudden with pain when walking. It just hit during one step. It is better. Could it just have been a strain?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 21, 2007
    • 06:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My chiro says it's tight hip flexor muscle and says stretching will fix the problem. The whole problem began 3 months ago, got up to go to the bathroom and felt like i pulled something during the walk. Next week alot of pain when wlaking but not on every step, every 10 steps or so I would feel it. 2 months later I would get a spasm when lifting leg or crossing the good leg with the bad side. I have been able to go on walks now pain free but if I try to walk with on uneven pavement with the hurt side on the raised area of pavement it spasms or pulls with quite a bit of pain. Chiro says walk through it.. Any additional thoughts?
    le19555 4 Replies
    • October 21, 2007
    • 07:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • No snapping or clicking..
    le19555 4 Replies
    • October 21, 2007
    • 07:17 PM
    Flag this Response
  • The thing is it came on all of a sudden with pain when walking. It just hit during one step. It is better. Could it just have been a strain?Possibly just a simple snapping motion of the main band of the hip over the femoral head which at the time caused you a lotof pain but has not caused any damage. As long as it is not causing a problem now just carry on with light stretching execsises. le19555 by now you should be reffered for X.rays, scans and or MRI to see if you have any damage such as a labral tears or a bursa.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 23, 2007
    • 04:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i have horrible pain in the area of the hip flexor muscles. It is made worse by excersize. To the point that i feel like some one turned an electric burner on high in my pelvis.Any one have any ideas what type of doctor i see for this?Thanksyes, an orthopedic. You have a labral tear in your hip. It took them 5 yrs to diagnose me! Good luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi, I am a physical therapist. Pain in the hip flexor muscle region can be caused by a number of sources. Pain in this region can be from the hip joint itself. If this is the case the hip will feel stiff, making activities such as getting shoes, socks, and pant on/off difficult. Another potential source of hip flexor region pain is the lower lumbar spine. Specifically the L5-S1 facet joint can rediate into the anterior hip region and mimic hip flexor pain. Consider applying ice to your lower back, avoid any aggravating activities, and if the problem persists, seek help from an orthopedic doctor. For more information in facet pain, including specific exercises, visit: http://www.joint-pain-solutions.com/facet-joint-pain.html Hope this helps. ~JTrempe PT, ATC
    JTrempe 101 Replies Flag this Response
  • I would recommend seeing a physiotherapist for accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment of conditions such as a hip flexor strain or labral tear of the hip. You may be interested in checking out the above links for detailed information. Hope that helps, PhysioAdvisorwww.PhysioAdvisor.com
    PhysioAdvisor 93 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement