Discussions By Condition: Hair conditions

hair stopped growing on both legs

Posted In: Hair conditions 12 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 20, 2007
  • 11:58 PM

hello, the hair has stopped growing on both of my legs, and my doctor said it was from hormone changes from menapause. i also have lots of other symptoms like leg muscle pain when standing or walking, nausea and joint stiffness. my doctor saidthat i tell him too many symptoms...does anyone know any other reason why the hair has stopped growing on both legs for two years? my eyebrows stopped growing too, and are so thin, that i have to pencil them in.

Reply Flag this Discussion

12 Replies:

• I'm 47 and am having the same problems. I don't have any answers yet either. I've only found the hormonal thing, like you? If you have good circulation to your feet, then the Drs probably right about that part. I think the other symptoms are seperate. At least for me, it is. I have so many symtoms that the Dr can't put them all together. We're still trying to figure it out. I just want to know what is wrong so I know what to do about it. If anyone could lead me in the right direction I would be so thankful. If I get any leads about the stiffness, I'll get back to you. Four yrs ago I had hyperthyroidism and ended up having to do RAI treatment, so then of course I was hypothyroid. My TSH was 58. I had joint stiffness, wt gain, fatigue, dry skin, etc. Went on Levothyroxine. Levels normal now, but symptoms keep flaring up. I had a bad flare up 2 yrs ago. I don't have the tender points, but the Dr still said it was Fibromyalgia. Sed rate and Lyme titer were normal at that time.Symptoms seem to get worse with each flare up. The Dr said it was Fibromyalgia and I went on a long-acting Ibuprofen. It was 80 % effective for about 6 mths. Then I ended up with thyroid eyes and had to go on Steroids for 6 mths. The steroids helped my eyes and my joints. I felt great. I wasn't fatigued, wasn't sleeping all the time, and my sinus headaches were better. But I had every bad side effect. (Like Cushings). I had to wean off. Eyes got worse and I had to get 10 doses of low radiation treatment to the eyes muscles which did help. Ever since I went off the Steroids I have been in so much pain and stiffness. This is the worst flare up I've ever had. It's been 7 wks off the steroids and I've been miserable. If I sit still for more than 15 mins. I stiffen up so bad it hurts. It's in my neck, my low back, shoulders, elbows, wrists, fingers, hips, knees, ankles, and even the soles of my feet. I love sking. Went, but muscles were in a constant burn so I had to quit. It was too painful. I am fatigued, depressed, forgetful, and weak. I am making it to work and back, but that's all I can do now. I went to the Drs again. We're trying Cymbalta for depression and Fibromyalgia. I felt ok on the 5th and 6th day after starting it. I was so excited, but it came right back. someone, please help come up with a diagnosis. Robin
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I'm 47 and am having the same problems. Joint pain, stiffness, and muscle pain and weakness. I don't have any answers yet either. I've only found the hormonal thing, like you? If you have good circulation to your feet, then the Drs probably right about that part. I think the other symptoms are seperate. At least for me, it is. I have so many symtoms that the Dr can't put them all together. We're still trying to figure it out. I just want to know what is wrong so I know what to do about it. If anyone could lead me in the right direction I would be so thankful. If I get any leads about the stiffness, I'll get back to you. Four yrs ago I had hyperthyroidism and ended up having to do RAI treatment, so then of course I was hypothyroid. My TSH was 58. I had joint stiffness, wt gain, fatigue, dry skin, etc. Went on Levothyroxine. Levels normal now, but symptoms keep flaring up. I had a bad flare up 2 yrs ago. I don't have the tender points, but the Dr still said it was Fibromyalgia. Sed rate and Lyme titer were normal at that time.Symptoms seem to get worse with each flare up. The Dr said it was Fibromyalgia and I went on a long-acting Ibuprofen. It was 80 % effective for about 6 mths. Then I ended up with thyroid eyes and had to go on Steroids for 6 mths. The steroids helped my eyes and my joints. I felt great. I wasn't fatigued, wasn't sleeping all the time, and my sinus headaches were better. But I had every bad side effect. (Like Cushings). I had to wean off. Eyes got worse and I had to get 10 doses of low radiation treatment to the eyes muscles which did help. Ever since I went off the Steroids I have been in so much pain and stiffness. This is the worst flare up I've ever had. It's been 7 wks off the steroids and I've been miserable. If I sit still for more than 15 mins. I stiffen up so bad it hurts. It's in my neck, my low back, shoulders, elbows, wrists, fingers, hips, knees, ankles, and even the soles of my feet. I love sking. Went, but muscles were in a constant burn so I had to quit. It was too painful. I am fatigued, depressed, forgetful, and weak. I am making it to work and back, but that's all I can do now. I went to the Drs again. We're trying Cymbalta for Fibromyalgia. I felt ok on the 5th and 6th day after starting it. I was so excited, but it came right back. someone, please help come up with a diagnosis. Robin
    rlshahan 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • Please www.google.com for: Could It Be B12? An Epidemic Of Misdiagnosis - there are references to these forums as well.
    Curly Stooge 319 Replies Flag this Response
  • I'm 47 and am having the same problems. Joint pain, stiffness, and muscle pain and weakness. I don't have any answers yet either. I've only found the hormonal thing, like you? If you have good circulation to your feet, then the Drs probably right about that part. I think the other symptoms are seperate. At least for me, it is. I have so many symtoms that the Dr can't put them all together. We're still trying to figure it out. I just want to know what is wrong so I know what to do about it. If anyone could lead me in the right direction I would be so thankful. If I get any leads about the stiffness, I'll get back to you. Four yrs ago I had hyperthyroidism and ended up having to do RAI treatment, so then of course I was hypothyroid. My TSH was 58. I had joint stiffness, wt gain, fatigue, dry skin, etc. Went on Levothyroxine. Levels normal now, but symptoms keep flaring up. I had a bad flare up 2 yrs ago. RobinHi Robin,Of course they would flare because you have both Hyperthyroid and Hypothyroid symptoms together. Try doing some research on this. Then find an Endocrinologist who knows how to treat this kind of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. It's not the norm but it does exist.I have some hyper T flares at times too and get flu-like symptoms.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I was happy when I wasn't growing any hair, especially armpit hair. Then, just you like you, the hair on both of my legs stopped growing. The biggest symptom I had was that I was beyond exhausted. I also started to get these little freckles everywhere and that's when I put 2 and 2 together. In any case, don't give up on your search for an answer but don't rely on any research on the Internet regarding adrenal deficiency and Addison's disease. It is all screwed up everywhere full of contradictions and stupid claims by know-it-all doctors who don't know a ***n thing. You can ask your doctor (hopefully he/she will comply) to do a Cortisol blood test? If your doctor does not want to do the test, there are plenty of private laboratories who will conduct the test for you. Good luckYour friend in misery.hello, the hair has stopped growing on both of my legs, and my doctor said it was from hormone changes from menapause. i also have lots of other symptoms like leg muscle pain when standing or walking, nausea and joint stiffness. my doctor saidthat i tell him too many symptoms...does anyone know any other reason why the hair has stopped growing on both legs for two years? my eyebrows stopped growing too, and are so thin, that i have to pencil them in.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 30, 2007
    • 01:23 AM
    Flag this Response
  • The hair has stopped growing all over my body; not just my legs. I don't mind that so much except for the fact that my already thin hair on my head is getting thinner. I'm not one of the people that would look good bald so it's pretty stressful thinking about that possibility. A nurse friend of mine suggested that I have my thyroid checked so I guess that will be my next step. I tried some of the OTC hair regrowth products, but the side effects made it impossible for me to continue them. I'll be grateful for any ideas that can point me in the right direction. Thank you
    Xmaseve1 1 Replies
    • October 1, 2008
    • 01:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Yes, Hair not growing is a classic symptom. HYPO(not enough)thyroid. You both may be sub-clinical (does not show up as low on standard testing) Ask your doctor about a trial of Thyroid even though you may be subclinical and tell him/her all the cold, exhausted, achy ....feeling and symptoms. 3-6 months (and maybe a retest or two) should tell if the cold, achy, and exhausted .... starts to wane. If not, that is not it.Try supplementing with Horsetail Herb (contains lots of Silicea) unless you are allergic to it might not hurt to try it. Thyroid trial first though .:)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 3, 2008
    • 05:19 AM
    Flag this Response
  • As we age, our estrogen level drops and as a result, the growth of new hair declines. If you have noticed this happening to you, a simple test can be scheduled through your doctor. Other causes of hair loss or slow growth could be related to kidney or liver problems..Healthy clear appearing nails | Natural Sleep Aid | Fast Weight Reduction
    silenthill 4 Replies
    • January 10, 2009
    • 07:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello...just adding my 2 cents...Anyone experiencing hormonal fluctuations, low or no hair growth, fatigue, joint stiffness, cycle irregularity, etc, should definitely see an endocrinologist. Many times a general or family MD just doesn't have the focus or time to figure it out and order the right tests. They are taught to see the most obvious and are quick to jump to things like 'oh it's just menopause". Endos know what to order and how to put it all together. I need a new one, had a great one years ago but he retired :(. It's important to follow through on it because there's also a possibility the symptoms can be caused by "Hypopituitarism" which can have many different causes. The pituitary pretty much is the center that runs or stimulates most hormone secretion so if it is faulty than it trickles down to everything else. Anyone with multiple hormone issues or symptoms should be checked for it, look it up. I'm 45 years old and had surgical menopause since age 30 (hysterectomy), have been on estrogen since. I also had hashimoto's thyroiditis and have been treated for that with thyroid replacement meds since age 21. Hormonal problems have cause a lot of issues for me so I understand how frustrating it can be. I also have Multiple Sclerosis and some type of other auto-immune condition affecting collagen & tendons but it's not diagnosed yet. My hair stopped growing years ago and I've developed a lot of joint problems so I am thinking it's time to dig in and find a new endocrinologist and stop putting it off. Good luck everyone!:)Sara
    SaharaRN 10 Replies
    • February 17, 2009
    • 08:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hello, the hair has stopped growing on both of my legs, and my doctor said it was from hormone changes from menapause. i also have lots of other symptoms like leg muscle pain when standing or walking, nausea and joint stiffness. my doctor saidthat i tell him too many symptoms...does anyone know any other reason why the hair has stopped growing on both legs for two years? my eyebrows stopped growing too, and are so thin, that i have to pencil them in.It could be one of the many autoimmune diseases, Sjogrens, Rheumatoid, Lupus, fibromaligia, thyroid etc. Joint and muscle pain, and hair loss are also symptoms of menopause. You should probably get tested, but even if it is menopuase the symptoms can be treated. Go to a different doctor. I tend to stay away from doctors who minimize womens symptoms. I was ignored and made to feel like a complainer for years. It turned out I do have Rheumatoid and Sjogrens after I was finally tested. I have chronic nausea from GERD, which is common for people with Sjogrens syndrome. See a good doctor who takes your symptoms seriously. If they bother you enough for you to post on a forum, they are real enough to get some answers from a good doctor.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 7, 2011
    • 07:01 AM
    Flag this Response
  • hello, the hair has stopped growing on both of my legs, and my doctor said it was from hormone changes from menapause. i also have lots of other symptoms like leg muscle pain when standing or walking, nausea and joint stiffness. my doctor saidthat i tell him too many symptoms...does anyone know any other reason why the hair has stopped growing on both legs for two years? my eyebrows stopped growing too, and are so thin, that i have to pencil them in.I was 47 when I had a heart attack, some of the symptoms you describe occurred for a bout a year prior to the attack.I continue to have serious leg pain and found that the hair on the leg that hurts so bad has stopped growing as well.I have no insurance so they won`t do the test for PAD which has led to heart attacks and stroke.Get another doctor who might see a correlation between those symptoms and the hair loss, GET CHECKED! INSIST THEY CHECK YOUR HEART OR FOR P.A.D. (artery disease)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 22, 2011
    • 07:57 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• hello, the hair has stopped growing on both of my legs, and my doctor said it was from hormone changes from menapause. i also have lots of other symptoms like leg muscle pain when standing or walking, nausea and joint stiffness. my doctor saidthat i tell him too many symptoms...does anyone know any other reason why the hair has stopped growing on both legs for two years? my eyebrows stopped growing too, and are so thin, that i have to pencil them in.First of all..... you should fire your doctor. What nerve telling you that you're telling him too many symptoms. You should have told him then and there, "Do your job and write down the symptoms that I'm giving you, so you will know what to look for and how to treat it!" There are several things that can cause this and some are very serious. I really would fire your doctor and go get another and tell him what's going on, hopefully that doctor will do the job he's supposed to be doing and run some test's, x-ray's or whatever else should be done. Don't let this goo long though, you really need to get it checked out by a re4liable physician.
    trippball 1 Replies
    • August 13, 2012
    • 07:31 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement