Discussions By Condition: Mental conditions

How dangerous is it to just stop taking Wellbutrin XL?

Posted In: Mental conditions 2 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 20, 2007
  • 09:31 PM

I have been on Wellbutrin XL for a little over a year now and have steadily been gaining weight and have recently been diagnosed with a fatty liver which I think is linked to the meds. I want to come off of the Wellbutrin but can't get my dr's to return my messages to tell me the proper way to come off of it.

So I was wondering for a person with no history of seizures how dangerous would it be for me to just stop taking the meds?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• if you've been taking bupropion for a year, as i'm sure you know, you shouldn't just sotp taking it. the best way to stop taking any drug, especially psychotropic, is to steadily taper the dose down over 2 - 3 months. i'd advise you keep trying to contact your physician before tapering. hang in there :)
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • October 6, 2014
    • 00:26 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Ive been taking abilify for 7 years.. Before this i had been given olanzapine, quetiapine, valium, clozapine and others. I took them when i was 18 i am more than certain that there was never a valid diagnosis. My story is a long one and i am having to resort to writing online to get help. I have been reading books which show there is clear evidence of brain damage after long term use. My intellectual capacities have def been affected but i get no help from my gp. Will my brain be normal again..
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • October 7, 2014
    • 07:27 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement