Discussions By Condition: Allergies

Dust Mite Bites-look like mosquito bites!

Posted In: Allergies 115 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 20, 2007
  • 04:27 AM

A few month ago I was waking up with red, itchy mosquito-like bites on my arms, stomach and legs. I thought maybe it was a spider. I set up spider traps. This did not help. I cleaned the entire house from top to bottom and found no spiders, or odd insects, no bedbugs in the sheets etc..
My husband and children were not inflicted with this weird syndrome. It is terrible the bites are so itchy and at night it was so hard to sleep, especially knowing that I would wake up with more of them. I finally went to a dermatologist who diagnosised me with an allergic reaction to dust mite bites. Zyrtec was prescribed and did nothing to help, either did the lotions that he prescribed. I did buy allergin covers for the pillows and mattress. I got rid of my body pillow and the throw pillows. I took of the feather comforter off since I can not affored to buy an allergin covering for it at this time. The results have been really good. I will next get rid of the carpet in the bedroom, anything to stop this awful little parasites. I hope this helps anyone who might have come across this problem. I have found there to be little information avaliable for this problem.

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • Zyrtec is supposed to temporarily remove the itch, not take the red thingys.
    Mrorky 2 Replies
    • February 28, 2007
    • 00:28 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I too have the dust mite allergy. I found a ton of info on the inernet. This is a tuff one. But you need to see an allergist not a derm. my allergist has saved my life. So make an appointment. Two weeks before testing you can't have any allergy meds. I hope this helps. Lois :p
    loiskerr 29 Replies
    • February 28, 2007
    • 01:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for the imput.It is a weird ting to become allergic too when you hit 40. It is also funny when people tell you that you cannot be allergic to dust mite bitesbecause the insect is microscopic! I guess you can be allergic to just about anything. Jen
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am glad to have found this forum. I, too, recently discovered numerous small red bumps similar to mosquito bites and it is very itchy and annoying.I am glad to hear that it could just be an allergic reaction, as the only thing I found on the Internet was "scabies". Scabies is a scary disease that I do not want to have. The itchiness is bothersome, but not severe as scabies.I also have dry skin, which is what dust mites live on in the bedding. I am buying an allergin mattress and pillow covers tomorrow. I will be washing my sheets in the hottest water possible. I look forward to a more restlful sleep, as I feel I am being attacked by the unseen. I also heard that using a bug repellent on the body is helpful, and/or spraying Avon's skin-so-soft on the mattress is a solution.
  • Thank God I found this forum. This sounds exactly like what I have. What in the world... how do you all the sudden get this so late in life. Thank you all!!! I am headed to the allergy doctor ASAP
  • Anyone ever heard of a two year old being affected by this dust mite allergy, my daughter has awaken a couple times in the morning with mosquito type bites, one time at a hotel where it could have been anything and most recently at home, where it has become a little more concerning!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 25, 2007
    • 04:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I was wondering besides little mosquito like red bites what other symptoms can you have with an allergic reaction to dust mites? Can you have itchy eyes/skin, head, ear and nose congestion? Does your symptoms get worse at night and cause you to wake up often?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 14, 2007
    • 00:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank God I found this forum. This sounds exactly like what I have. What in the world... how do you all the sudden get this so late in life. Thank you all!!! I am headed to the allergy doctor ASAPI was just wondering what symptoms you are having and if you have found some relief?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 14, 2007
    • 00:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Dust mites do not bite people instead they feed on dead skin cells floating around your house or the dead skin cells in your bed. Get your facts correct.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 12, 2007
    • 09:27 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Dust mites do not bite people instead they feed on dead skin cells floating around your house or the dead skin cells in your bed. Get your facts correct.Hi DR. Rabe, I beg to differ. If you have not realised, our bodies are layered with dead skin, especially the elbow and knees. That explains the existence of loofahs and exfoilator. In additon, how do you define "feeding"? They do not lick or suck right? They insert their fangs, which is equivalent to biting!I chanced upon this useful info as I got really flared up by the dust mite bites at my elbow and knees recently. I can even see the fangs marks on my wounds. Its gross. Therefore, I would say thumbs up for this useful info, redpepper! I will be getting a new bed! Get your facts correct, Dr. Rabe! :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 31, 2007
    • 03:39 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Dust mites do not bite people instead they feed on dead skin cells floating around your house or the dead skin cells in your bed. Get your facts correct.exactly, i just noticed that. Dust mites can only be see by microscopes so that means you are getting bit by bedbugs.I used to live in a building that had bed bugs so then i moved and apparently they moved with me :/. at first, i did find them so i used several things to get rid of them and i think i did..... Well, i thought i did because i still get bit. I looked under the mattress and pretty much everywhere and i can't find any! so i thought the only possibility could be dust mites but they can't bite so i'm confused....
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Well, I have been getting bitten for the past month now - mainly on my back, as has my wife and daughter (primarily on their backs also).Initially we thought mosquito bites, but could not see mosquitos - or anything else that was biting us.Went to a doctor and he said they were caused by Dust Mite bites. So had our apartment sprayed a couple of days ago to get rid of them. Unfortunately, I guess it didn't work as I have just been bitten again !!!!! =(Anyone with any tips or advice, please let me know! From reading here, I guess the allergin covers should be worth a try???
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 15, 2008
    • 01:28 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My 10 yr old started breaking out with a cluster of what looked like mosqito bites on her hip, and then over a period of2 weeks has continued to break out with them. I changed out sheets and bedding and it got better, but she has new bites on her hips torso and legs, none above herribs and mostly on back but new ones are on her front of torso, they are terriabley itchy. I think its why shes been do cranky, doc wants to treat for scabies, to rule this out, but this sounds and looks exactly like what s going on, Im confused to, as if it is bed bugs, don't I need to ditch the mattress, carpet and bedding, also she has 4 other siblings in seperate rooms, Im a little overwhelmed, I checked sheets bedding, mattress and no signs of fecal matter or bugs, so, ..... Is there a test for dust mite allergy? Drmatologist or allergist for this? Any info is appreciated,mandy
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 15, 2008
    • 02:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • my flat-mate and i also have the mosquito-like bites. and to the person who said its not dust mites, its bed bugs, well there you would be wrong. we at first thought scabies which freaked us out, but after being told by a doctor it was insect bites we got a pest controller in, which upon inspection discovered that it was definately not bed-bugs, that it was definately dust mites. we are both allergic to dust mites, so its come up in itchy red bites. The doctor has told us these marks will take about 2 months to fade and that they will possibly scar. Does any body know if this is tru? as my hands feet and legs are COVERED in them
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 17, 2008
    • 01:42 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My husband, 2 year old and I moved into our new home in August. The house is a NEW construction, never been lived in, mostly hardwood floors. The house is also in a neighborhood that is still under construction and my neighbors and I have noticed ALOT of dust floating around the house. Coincidentaly, my husband, daughter and I started itching like crazy, with tiny red bumps all over us, since the first night we moved in. Our doc treated it as scabies, which scared me to death at the thought of mites living ON us. Does our condition sound like dust mites to anyone? I really dont think it is scabies since we dont see any burrows on our skin, and I just dont "Feel" like it is scabies. Is it possible to ONLY itch from dust mites, as we dont sneeze much or have any respritory problems? Any input would be GREAT! THANK YOU!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 20, 2008
    • 06:40 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have suffered from this allergy for over five years, only I feel them crawling on me. They itch badly just being on my body and then I believe when the females are reproducing is when they bite as in the case of most insects and their need for more protein when they reproduce, and of coarse they do this often. I have tried so many things through the years without long lasting results. They seem to be repelled by certain things only temporarily and then they find a way around it. Recently I have used apple cider vinegar diluted in water to repel them and it works some but you have to keep putting it on through the day. I also use coconut oil with a few drops Anise oil mixed in. That helps. I am working on different formulas and will try adding clove oil which is suppose to kill the eggs. Last year I bought an ozone generator for about three hundred dollars. Its suppose to kill them by crushing them but I guess it isn't a strong enough unit because it only seams to aggravate them.After applying the oil formula I have taken them off me. There are two kinds, minute black hard bodied bugs and flesh colored soft bodied ones. I want to look at them through a microscope to see what they really look like.People have also indicated that I am nuts, I am happy to find this forum to see I am not. You do start to wonder.The search goes on, can they even be killed? Maybe its internal and a good cleansing such as fasting would help, or a blood purifier. What’s your thoughts?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 21, 2008
    • 05:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • CAUSES, SYMPTOMS, & CORRELATIONSMy daughter has had similar symptoms to all mentioned in this fantastic forum. Random attacks to her body below her neck, leaving red bites, sometimes ****y, very itchy. My wife & I have spent 2-3 years going to alergists, doctors, natural paths, etc, etc...all have treated her sympotms with creams & various medications. The problem is no one is addressing the cause! i guess that is what we are left to do on our own. This is what i understand from my research.1) my daugter has excema, which also means in general, she has sensitive skin, when her excema acts up for various reasons, it causes her dry skin to flake. 2) dust mites feed on dead skin, which means they are attracted to her bed...& her skin3) i still have to reseach more on why they are drawing their fangs in her, maybe to remove dead skin from her, or perhaps in her sleep she rolls on top of them or somehow squishes them, then they get irritated & bite???4) dust mites travel in air flows on "dust". We have a forced air furnace, this provides a great cycle and air from them to travel freely5) I have noticed a big drop in her bite spots after changing a very old furnace filter a few years ago.6) with ignorance, i recently removed the furnace filter & didn't put one back in. Within a few days my daughters bites came back extensively. I replaced it with a good filter.Addressing the root cause; After recent flare up last week:Obersvations from bites:1) they were very red, almost blistering 2) they ran in almost a line or track, which seemed like one was going in a direction & bitting as it went along. Some were in folds of her skin3) There were a few puncture marks, that did not flare up at all around other flared up areas???4) on arms, legs, body, inner thigh, neckTreatment:1) went to doctor...his diagnosis...excema!...here's some itch cream & pills(typical dr, treat symptoms, not cause)... This helped stop her from itching to bleeding, & helped inflamation go down.2) i have a laundry business, so i took all her bedding & wasing it at 170 deg's3) put in a high quality furnace filter ($20 cad, last 3 months)4) recently removed all carpets that we could & replaced with lam floor.5) we are adrressing her excema with regular moisturizing after baths and trying to prevent her from producing dry skin(dust mite food)6) we are using 7 generation lauandry detergent...really expensive, but very natural & good on her skin, there must be cheaper brands, but have not found any yet7) regular vacuming w/hepa filter8) weekly washes of sheets in her bedSo far so good...no return since our assault on the DM'S
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 28, 2008
    • 07:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've also had the same problem, spraying regular Lysol on your mattress, bedding, carpet and other areas like under your nightstands, and anywhere that dust settles also helps a lot. Make sure to let everything dry before you lay down again, and of course if Lysol irritates your skin, don't use it. I've found that the original plain Lysol works better than the other scented and fancier varieties.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 30, 2008
    • 01:43 AM
    Flag this Response
  • like DR.Rabe said dustmites eat dead skin flakes and do not bite humans
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 4, 2009
    • 09:39 AM
    Flag this Response
  • im allergic to dust mites myself, and one day i woke up with hives and my face was a little swollen.i ended up washing my sheets in super hot water and cleaning my entire room. after vacuuming, dusting, and much sneezing in the process, all is well. If anyone else is allergic to dust mites, all you got to do is make sure your house is clean and dust free and you will be fine.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 6, 2009
    • 05:29 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement