Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Chest pain/breathing/flutters/burping

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 121 Replies
  • Posted By: kulaboy
  • February 19, 2007
  • 11:01 PM

Okay what a funny subject that sounds like! Here goes, let me try to sum this down short.

I am 31. A little overweight but eating well, don't drink anymore and don't smoke. I have been lowering my cholesterol levels since November. However in November I started having chest "flutters" in my heart that felt like my heart was turning around and seized my breath momentarily. Very freaky. It began when I was on a treadmill. I have not run since.

I started having these off and on, usually in the evening, before bed. Sitting up, sitting down, it doesn't matter. I still have them. In Nov. and Dec. I had feelings of tight chest and breathing problems and heart "flutters" and the only way I seemed to feel better was burping or belching! But this wasn't a cure. Chest pains began to occur, shooting sensations or aches in the heart area, for a brief period or a long time. I saw my doctor, who did an EKG, then an x-ray, then I wore a heart holter for 24 hours. All turned up "normal."

Symptoms continued. I lost weight. Ate brown rice and saw a brief period of feeling almost nothing until one day I reached over for laundry and my heart started racing like 200 beats a minute. I could barely stand up I was so dizzy. This lasted an hour. I saw the doctor again, referred to a cardiologist, who did a treadmill test on me. All is normal. They said my symptoms are too vague and gave the usual doctor remedy "Lose weight, walk, eat well, don't drink, cut down caffeine."

Meanwhile, I'm not doing well. I am uncomfortable. I feel like my heart is in pain and these flutters/heart turning over sensation hit suddenly and it's like my heart stops for a moment and I get freaked out. It happens when I am relaxed and not stressed. I do my best to cut out stress.

Any ideas what's going on? I considered a Hiatal hernia, and acid reflux. But my doctors seem to be going nowhere with me insisting it can be anxiety or stress. And perhaps they are right but I'm not enjoying this and it's interfering with my life, with my activites (I am too tired and out of breat to climb up short hills somedays, much less walk a stairmaster or run). I have lost 15 pounds through walking since December so I am much more fit. But it's not showing any improvement.

Help? Questions?

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • I'm going through the same thing man, starting really to get to be, I cant stand the feeling of my heart racing and now I have the feeling of something in the lower part of my throat. Doctors have no idea what it is.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have the same thing. It turned out to be dehydration and constipation. I know when I start to have palpitations that I need to drink water. After downing about a pint of water the palpitations ease. When I get chest pains it means my intestines are full and I need to find a way to empty them. I figured this out on my own after a year of trying various vitamins, foods, dieting, no dieting, etc.
  • try physiotherapy its amazing what they know about muscular painthen of course you can try prayer:)
  • You wrote that you stopped going on the treadmill because you were concerned about having this problem start again. But you also say that it happens at random times.Perhaps you could get back on the treadmill. It doesn't seem to be the thing causing this problem.Drinking enough can be a problem, and someone mentioned that, so it is worth trying. But if YOU think it is acid or anxiety, maybe you could try some basic self-medications. Try an over the counter antacid, try drinking chamomile tea. These things are unlikely to hurt the problem, and if they make it better, you will have discovered something.Get checked for thyroid function. You might be having problems there. Most importantly, recognize that you don't need to freak out over that bizarre feeling of your heart doing flip-flops or stopping. Since every time this has happened, nothing bad has actually come directly from it, you already have proof that this isn't as bad as it feels. Getting nervous about it is definately worse for you than staying calm about it. (I know, easy for someone else to say.) The fact that burping helps seems important, and it seems reasonable that you try the OTC antacids.Don't assume that everything is all from the same problem. You might get part of it under control, and that helps bring into focus another part that is caused entirely by something else.Your doc did a stress test, and you were fine, therefore, have confidence to go work out harder. It will feel tiring, but not working out harder is probably contributing to your tired feelings.The "your symptoms are too vague" call of the doctor drives me up the wall. They tell us our whole lives not to "let stuff go" and to take care of things before they get too bad, but the reality seems to be, if we are not very sick and obvious in what is wrong, they tell us the symptoms are too vague, and basically are saying they can't do anything until we are a total mess. Nice.So, take some OTC antacids, drink plenty of fluids, get your thyroid function checked, get back on the treadmill, and write again to say if anything gets better or worse, or stays the same with all that. :)Wish I had more to offer!Shula
  • Sounds like GE reflux which can cause such severe pain that you are certain you are having a heart attack, and the stress over that pain can give you heart palpatations. The gas gets "trapped" and burping DOES ease the pain which is horrible and can even radiate into the shoulder. If you don't know what it is, it is a terrifying experience.When I get an attack I usually work a trigger point with a LOT of pressure by putting my thumb at the base of my sternum and sliding it down just a bit and pressing as hard as I can holding it until I feel the muscle relaxing. This usually takes care of it within ten minutes. Also elevating the head of your bed can prevent this from happening at night.
  • Please do not listen to anything Shula or Acuann tell you. My sister just passed away because Shula and Acuann told her that her doctor was wrong and she did not have a serious condition. Acuann even told her to get acupuncture to get healed. These people are going to be investigated for practicing medicine without a license. Shula and Acuann are specifically wanted in connection with my sisters homocide. Thats right homocide. If she would have listened to her doctor instead of these internet quacks she would still be here today. Rest assured I will do everything in my power to put these two behind bars and shut this website down for good.
  • I suffer from these symptoms and I think sometimes they are so worrying that you start to panic and the 'heart' type symtoms get all muddled up with sort of a mini panic attack type feeling etc.... I have just seen a consultant and he tells me it is my intestines although I suffer from pins and needles in left side, tight chest which radiates to the left shoulder...constant relentless belching also.... He is sending me for an endoscopy and gasteroscopy( i think thats what they are called...and then six sessions of some bio treatment for the bowels along with chlonic irrigation/enima etc...he seems to think that in four months or so all these symptoms will have disappeared or atleast be more managable. Maybe you should ask to be referred to a consultant ( gastarology) as I had the ECG 24hr test etc and nothing showed up either....atleast this explaination seems to make sense so...watch this space ..
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 12, 2007
    • 01:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you ever had an episode when you were monitored? If not, maybe you are having paroxysmal tachycardia (rapid heart rate which comes and goes). Or premature atrial tachycardia. By belching and bearing down, you might be instituting a biologic response which would halt the arrythmia. If you were being monitored, and it didn't show anything, then it is probably not your heart. Premature atrial contractions (PACs) are a type of premature heart beat or irregular heart beat or arrhythmia which start in the upper two chambers of the heart, also called atria. These aren't serious, and they frequently go away on their own.In many cases doctors are unable to determine a cause. Some cells in the heart start to fire or go off before the normal heart beat is supposed to occur. These can be cells that are damaged or sick from a virus, or from some other cause that a doctor can't determine. Sometimes people who have them feel a skipped beat. In many cases, the person feels nothing.Usually a doctor will do or order an EKG. Without an EKG, it is impossible to determine the existence of PACs. Once proven, the person may be referred to a cardiologist for further testing to determine whether the heart is damaged or deteriorated.
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies
    • October 13, 2007
    • 07:45 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey all found this thread as I too have the same sort of symptons. I've been having these for about 18 months now I think. It can be really worrying when it feels like your heart stops and also when its racing. I went to the hospital once when it carried on and had a ECG or whatever and everything was fine. I am 23, 5'10'' and weigh about 9 stone so am probably under weight! I smoke.I am a postman so get a lot of walking in me ! I probably don't eat often enough or healthily enough.I am always burping even at the most intimate of times with my gf!!! She is very understanding though thankfully. I really want to get rid of this as I never ever feel refreshed even after a good nights sleep. I'm always tired and friends/family just call me lazy but I just don't feel I have the energy to do anything. I'm not sure of when it started exactly but it was around the time I started to try and lift weights so I too thought of a hiatial hernia. I was also in a car crash around the time in which it rolled and I was thrown out of the side window as it crashed. I didn't go to the hospital after this so don't know if any of these could have brought around my symptoms. Main symptons are burping all the time, tight chest, tiredness, get light headed a lot, heart skipping/racing although this is probably anxiety brought on by the other symptoms. I have tried antacid tablets like Rennie. Hasn't helped. Also get the feeling of something stuck in my throat and also a feeling like theres a hole in my throat(difficult to explain fully) but when this occurs I just burp relentlessly and it eventually goes away. Really wish I could find a solution to all of this as it is affecting my life and doctors just look at you like your a hypocondriact.(As well as my Mum) As a postman doesnt help my job as when I can't sleep I don't feel good at work and have a couple of times had to go sick because of it. Sorry for the rant and I hope someone out there can help or someone who had the same feelings found a solution. Many thanksMiniCooper
    MiniCooper 1 Replies
    • January 21, 2008
    • 04:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I too was feeling dull heart pains well pains in my heart region an still do, i got so anxious about it i made my self really mad (see depersonalisation), Im recovering from that now and trying to be happy again. i think it started when i had real bad pain under my left arm and now the doctors say probably a trapped nerve. I don;t think it is but i've come to terms with the fact that its not half as serious as i was stressing about. And once you realise that pains should subside because stress and anxiety are bad for your body they cause chest pains themselves, i reccomend you look around the web read other peoples stories. The inexplicable lil pains are common, and go away with time and possibly helped by a good diet. Iv found information that gluten free diet can help so im goin to give it a go.I take ibuprofen and that also helps. Reguardless, i think its mainly a gas related issues maybe brought on by excersice as i too strated gettin it after the gymn. I'm only eighteen! i do smoke but im pretty healthy and i thought i was heading for the grave. XX
  • My 33 year old husband 200 lbs, no high blood pressure, 185 cholesteral,,,, same... exact... syptoms... Had a heart attack March 7th 2008... 100 percent blockage in his circumflex artery.!!!He lived...
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Wow folks - I am having the exact same symptoms as everyone - The 1st comments by koolaboy could have been straight from me - word for word exact same symptoms and age. the most annoying this about feeling like this people think you are mad!! especially after all your tests come back clear but you still fell the same.... A friend of mine wass the same and it turned out to be a Hiatial Hernia so I got checked the dreaded camera down me and thats what I have - Hiatial Hernia !!... She had colonic irrigation and she is feeling alot better...so that is the next step for me..Your not alone out there folks..we will beat this one...Good luck to you all.Keane
  • Koola Boy Do U Or Anyone Else Have Pounding Or Palpitations When Ur Sitting Down And Suddenly Move Or When Walking And Coming To A Stop Do U Feel Like Flutter Or A Weird Out Of Breath Like Ur Heart Has To Much Oxygen Suffocating Type
    elias01 36 Replies Flag this Response
  • My 33 year old husband 200 lbs, no high blood pressure, 185 cholesteral,,,, same... exact... syptoms... Had a heart attack March 7th 2008... 100 percent blockage in his circumflex artery.!!! He lived... DID HE EVER HAVE ANY KIND OF TEST DONE BY A CARDIOLOGIST OR A DR OR DID HE EVER WEAR A HOLTER BEFORE THE HEART ATTACK WHAT WERE THE FEELINGS HE HAD BEFORE THE HEART ATTACK
  • Really sounds like heartburn, I think you should look into an endoscopy.
  • hey u how have u been doing r u better
  • I think you possibly could have a few things going on. 1. Think you have GERD. You need to be seen by a gastro. You also need to cut down on any spicy or stomach upsetting foods. 1.spicy food 2. tomatoes 3. onion. 4. caffine. The bundle of hiss which controls heart function runs directly next to the esophagus and reflux can trigger heart palpitations as well as spicy food and caffine is an absolute no no. 2. Hormones can trigger heart palpitations. My sister had problems with this at the beginning of her second pregnancy. She has a read bundle blockage of her heart and basically the messages going to her heart get confused and she gets palpitations. 3. have your thyroid and endocrine system checked. The thyroid is an amazing thing and controls so much of the different functions of the body. If it's off it can cause heart problems. they need to run a T3,T4, and TSH. 4. My sisters and I have a heart murmur or heart issue. Stress and anxiety attacks can also cause palpitations or the palpitation it's self can cause anxiety which just escalates the problem. Look into something to relieve stress. The 30's are a stressful time. 4. Also have the doctor test you for helobactor and other bacterial causes of your stomach issues. Think about taking a probiotic (refridgerated only). They have made all the difference in the world for my stomach and also L-glutamine has been a good send. Good luck but get the heart and stomach ruled out for sure.
  • Okay what a funny subject that sounds like! Here goes, let me try to sum this down short.I am 31. A little overweight but eating well, don't drink anymore and don't smoke. I have been lowering my cholesterol levels since November. However in November I started having chest "flutters" in my heart that felt like my heart was turning around and seized my breath momentarily. Very freaky. It began when I was on a treadmill. I have not run since.I started having these off and on, usually in the evening, before bed. Sitting up, sitting down, it doesn't matter. I still have them. In Nov. and Dec. I had feelings of tight chest and breathing problems and heart "flutters" and the only way I seemed to feel better was burping or belching! But this wasn't a cure. Chest pains began to occur, shooting sensations or aches in the heart area, for a brief period or a long time. I saw my doctor, who did an EKG, then an x-ray, then I wore a heart holter for 24 hours. All turned up "normal."Symptoms continued. I lost weight. Ate brown rice and saw a brief period of feeling almost nothing until one day I reached over for laundry and my heart started racing like 200 beats a minute. I could barely stand up I was so dizzy. This lasted an hour. I saw the doctor again, referred to a cardiologist, who did a treadmill test on me. All is normal. They said my symptoms are too vague and gave the usual doctor remedy "Lose weight, walk, eat well, don't drink, cut down caffeine."Meanwhile, I'm not doing well. I am uncomfortable. I feel like my heart is in pain and these flutters/heart turning over sensation hit suddenly and it's like my heart stops for a moment and I get freaked out. It happens when I am relaxed and not stressed. I do my best to cut out stress.Any ideas what's going on? I considered a Hiatal hernia, and acid reflux. But my doctors seem to be going nowhere with me insisting it can be anxiety or stress. And perhaps they are right but I'm not enjoying this and it's interfering with my life, with my activites (I am too tired and out of breat to climb up short hills somedays, much less walk a stairmaster or run). I have lost 15 pounds through walking since December so I am much more fit. But it's not showing any improvement.Help? Questions?What you have experienced is panic disorder which will go away with time, For now though i would advise you to get as much exercise as possible and stop drinking alcohol all together.Make sure that you eat 3 meals per day and stay away from caffine.here is a website that may help you.http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk/anxiety_explained.html
  • I just got out of the hospital after being admitted for this. Let me expand. I had been getting out of breath from time to time for the past two weeks prior, always when walking to fast, such as when shopping, and always after eating. I began to notice a bloated feeling after eating. About six days ago, I was mowing the grass, small, level lot, with an electric push mower when I became out of breath and began having palpitations. I quit mowing, my husband finished the mowing then later fixed supper while I rested. After supper I began having chest pain that radiated to the front of my neck, to my head, into my left arm and into my upper back. The pain grew increasingly unbearable. The muscle in my left arm ached and the viens in my left hand and left wrist hurt. I was loaded with gas. Over that day and the next the symptoms came and went, each episode lasting several hours. Laying down did not help, seem to make it worst. By the end of the second day I could no longer stand it. I went to the doctor. My BP was 213/110 even though I had taken my BP pills only two hours before. The last visit to the doctor, two weeks before my BP was 129/78. My BP had been controlled with meds for years and never been this high. He admitted me. They gave me nitro patches, nitro spray and some strong BP med and after about 7 hours I becan to feel fairly well. But, whenever I would get up, such as to use the restroom, my heart would feel like it was racing. They did EKGS, blood tests for heart, a chest xray and a heart ultrasound. All produced no clues. I came home after 24 hours. The symptoms continued and they got worst over these last two days. I began to see some trends. The pain seemed to orginate in the center of my chest and from there went up my neck. When it was the worst, it felt like somebody had their hands around my neck and was sqeezing it tight. The glands on either side of my neck were sore to the touch. My neck would throb and you could see it visually. Then, I began to notice the burning sensation that seemed like pain at first. It was centered right in the hollow of my neck, the esphogus. During severe attacks the burning pain would radiate into my chest and left arm. to become so severe I can think of nothing else but making the pain go away. My chest and arm are sore when touched. It is not just internal pain, it is surface pain. If I let it go on, I get light headed and feel like I am going to faint. I can not walk at that point. I have to sit right then and there. When you are in the hosital they ask you to rate your pain from 1 to 10. It is a 10 at that point. It wakes me from a deep sleep as it did just now, when I could no longer take it and came to the web to see if I figure this out, forcing myself to burp steady as I type. The severe is pain gone now, by my neck and arm still feel achey, though the sever pain is gone. I can feel my neck throbbing at this moment. The one connection I can make it is ALWAYS happens about 30 minutes after I eat and ALWAYS is relieved by burping. One good forced belch can make it go away instantly or a dozen or so smaller forced burps can make it go away over a few minutes. I don't drink carbonated beverages, normally just spring water or home brew coffee from fresh beans. Whether I eat on not, even after belching makes the pain go away, the inability to move around without the palpitations or becoming quickly out of breath goes on, whether I have the neck/chest/arm pain or not. I have an appointment with the cardio doc in two weeks. My own doctor, told me when he sent me home from the hospital, that I had a strange flu bug that had been going around, that originated in the rib cage and went to the neck, head and left arm. It may be so, but I am not buying it at this point in time. The loritabs and nitro under the tongue tablets he gave me are not taking the pain away at ALL nor stopping the attacks. I have never felt so rough in my life.
    MsHuggys 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • I Started Having All The Symptoms Listed By You All In Jan. 2008. After A Long Follow Up With Medics And Tests I Found Out That It Was A Combination Of Rather Two Diseases. Anxiety/panic Disorder And Gastrointestinal Tract Irritation. Most Of Us Do Not Know That When We Are Anxious Or In A Hurry, Our Brain Produces Serotonin Which Is Also Produces Simultaneously In Our G.i. Tract And That Too Almost 9 Times More Than Brain. This Also Explains Butterflies Feeling In Our Stomachs When We Hurry For Something. Over A Period Of Time This Develops In To Panic Disorder Or Anxiety Attacks Associated With Abdominal Discomfort,gas Etc. Making These Symptoms Chronic. It Works Bothways. Stomach Discomfort Can Bring On Anxiety Attack. And Anxiety Too Can Bring On Stomach Upset. Both Compliments And Aggravates Each Other.Two Fold Strategy Needs To Be Adopted To Counter This. First Is Antidepressants And Ssri For Your Brain Which Will Take At Least 6 Months For Mild Cases And Lifetime For Severe Case. Second Is To Change Food Habits, Get Colon Cleansing, Replenishing Colon With Good Bacteria, Get H Pylori Out If It Is There.Before All This ..do Get Checked Up For Cancer Of Stomach Or Intestine Or Colon.I Am Not A Doctor. Your Doctor Can Explain Better. See A Neurologist/psychiatrist.all The Best. Vikas_baghla At Yahoodotcom
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement