Discussions By Condition: Gastrointestinal conditions

Constipation

Posted In: Gastrointestinal conditions 9 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • March 17, 2006
  • 01:48 AM

how long can a person go without having a bowel movement before they risk possible serious effects? Any general rule?

Reply Flag this Discussion

9 Replies:

• how long can a person go without having a bowel movement before they risk possible serious effects? Any general rule?I would be talking to a Medical Professional after four days. ANY change in bowel function which goes on longer than two weeks should be looked at by a professional.Dr M
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • hey, I went a week once.no ***t
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have had IBS-C most of my life. The longest bout between bowel movement - was 14 days. I never want to go there again!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 25, 2006
    • 10:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • how long can a person go without having a bowel movement before they risk possible serious effects? Any general rule?I have always been regular 2 bowel movements a day. When I was 5 months pregnant I became severely constipated. I used saline enemas in order to get relief. I did not do very well with the diet but I have continued to suffer and my child is almost 2 I have been prescribed : Glycolax, Zelnorm, Sorbital Solution and although I did get frustrated and quit taking I never got good results. I am now taking 6 SENNA with stool softener 1 time a week in order to use the rest room. The only other time I go is if I have not been in 7 days or I am on my period. Those times I do not have to take a vegtable laxative.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 5, 2006
    • 04:48 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've found by taking one teaspoon of brown vinegar in water, juice etc. or in mashed vegetables or other food, at the night meal - it eases constipation. A friend said it also helped her diarrhoea.Brown vinegar seems to stimulate the saliva glands - and I rarely suffer with a dry mouth like I did before and rarely suffer with constipation now.ainee.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 15, 2006
    • 06:24 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I've been on miralax for 2 years now. I'm not actually constipated. I just don't get the urge to go (if that makes any since). The miralax does a great job of keeping everything liquified. I go every 3-4 days and it's very liquid. None of the doctors I've seen can give me any answers. They all tell me I need to change my diet. I went on a high fiber diet consisting of 30-60 grams of fiber a day and it made no difference. I did this diet for 1 full year. All it did was make me gain 15 pounds. It's very difficult to consume 30 or more grams of fiber and not exceed 2200 calories. I exercise regularly. I have perfect cardiovascular health and my weight is near perfect (10 lbs over my ideal target weight and 10 lbs under being over weight). Therefore, I don't fit the profile/stereotype for people that usually have these problems and the doctors don't take me serious as a result.Will Zelnorm help increase the urge to go? My problem is quite simple. There is nothing telling the brain that the colon is full. I can hear and feel the liquid mess gurguling and sloshing around. You can even see my lower stomach extended from the pressure. If it weren't for having to expell gas nothing would ever come out.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 6, 2006
    • 03:44 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I actually am now taking green diet tea.. it actually works for me.. but i am not sure how safe it is in the long run...:p
    misstired 6 Replies
    • November 8, 2006
    • 04:34 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I actually am now taking green diet tea.. it actually works for me.. but i am not sure how safe it is in the long run...:p i have never heard of problems with green tea. It has caffeine, but not as much as coffee. I love green tea. I have found that fiber increases my problems with constipation and creates world record stools. I am thin and have good health habits, but constipation has been a lifelong problem. I am afraid I will injure myself. Dr M says 4 days- yikes!
    pumibel 42 Replies
    • February 14, 2007
    • 08:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, I know yalls problem on this subject. My bowles quit working on their own going on a year now. They tried me on every medicine there is. I also have Muscular Distrophy. It does weaken me. I now have to use a hospital enima bag every other day so I dont get compacted. That is painfull. I do know though that for a normal person Miralax works. It is a powder you mix up and drink. Hope this helps. Good luck all.
    amy hoskins 17 Replies
    • February 16, 2007
    • 05:27 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement