I have had microscopic blood in my urine for about 10 yrs but this last urinalysis came back with two new additions: protein and sugar.
I do have a family history of polycystic kidney disease and the doctor is concerned that these are signs of the progression of kidney disease.
Just wanted to see if anyone else out there has experienced similar issues and what the results were.
Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my post!
Below you will see the history of chronic urinary issues.
• Multiple bladder infections until around the age of 10 years old
• Wetted the bed until 10 years old
• During the time of me wetting the bed and bladder infections, I had multiple tests run to figure out what was going on. They never figured out what was causing these issues.
• Sometime in 1993-1994 (10yrs old) I had a kidney infection that resulted in being rushed to the hospital with a very high fever. I had was giving strong IV antibiotics. They wanted to admit me to the hospital but we were on vacation and over 3 hrs from home. I had very high blood sugar levels in my urine at the hospital.
• I had another set of tests to check my kidneys and bladder to see if anything could be figured out on the causes. Again nothing could be determined.
• Around 1997 (14 yrs old) I started having back pains. They did many tests to figure out the causes. At least 3 IVPs thinking kidney stones. X-rays to see if I had back spurs. MRI to see soft tissue issues. Also had PT, which didn’t help. They put me on muscle relaxers, Ibuprofen and pain killers.
• In 2001 I started having UTI’s again or so they thought. After a few months of this they noticing that the microscopic blood was in there even when I wasn’t having an infection.
• They sent me to an urologist and still nothing could be determined on the causes.
• Sometime during 2003-2004 my new doctor wanted to send me to a nephrologist. They ran multiple tests: full blood tests, HIV test, CT scan etc. The nephrologists stated he couldn’t find anything that could be causing the blood in the urine. He said we could do a biopsy and give you a fancy Latin name for what you have and nothing that could be done for it. He said that I should get my urine tested every so often to make sure the blood isn’t increasing.
• Started having UTIs again around 2006. My new nurse practitioner wanted to send me to a different Urologist. He ran another CT scan and blood tests. Again nothing.
• Around 2007 I had a very bad UTI that I was peeing blood. This had never happened before that I could remember.
• Fall of 2010 – protein and sugar was found in my urine in addition to the blood that has been there for about 10 yrs.