Discussions By Condition: Thyroid conditions

Please Help

Posted In: Thyroid conditions 3 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 12, 2006
  • 07:59 PM

I was diagnosed with Graves at 23 after I lost motor functions on my left side. My levels were through the roof. I took PTU and RAI but it was ineffecrive. I took Klonopin and was told it would help my muscles. After my movement improved I stopped taking it. I was ok but soon feel into a severe depression and experienced panic attacks and anxiety. My fiance at the time became unhappy with me and left. The stress of all that added to the problem and I experienced behavioral problems. I was told by my endo that I need another RAI treatment but I do not have health coverage at this time. I feel horrible that the disease that is so out of my control ruined my relationship. My ex thinks I just lost it but Im just not me. I do not blame him for not understanding, I hardly understand myself but he was my bestfriend. What can I do to help him understand my situation?

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

  • Some people never will understand what it is like to be chronically ill. The best you can do is give him literature (books, websites, etc), have him talk to other people with the illness (aside from you --- so he gets an unbiased opinion from someone who will tell him the exact same thing), and tell him you are willing to answer any questions he has ...I have been in a long term relationship for a while. I have several conditions, including a thyroid condition. It takes a very patient, loving, and open-minded person to handle what we go through ... but I promise they are out there!Chin up.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • November 8, 2006
    • 10:02 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • It sounds like your "friend" is gone for good, so probably no use trying to give him literature. By the way, it sounds like he was your best friend, but you probably were not his best friend. This is called codependency. So it probably would have been a very rocky long-term relationship anyway, especially after the honeymoon years. Get yourself healthy. Push your doctors to fully diagnose and treat you, but become your own best health manager. Your doctors will not do that for you. Knowledge, knowledge, knowledge is key. You also need to do some things to lift up your self-esteem, so that how you feel about yourself will no longer depend upon how another person feels about you. A GOOD therapist can help you get your thinking straightened out, and give you some ideas on what to do to improve your self-esteem. I'm not saying your helth problems are psychological. But I am saying that talking with an independent, level-headed professional might help you learn how to "roll-with-the-punches." You can learn how to become a happier person.
    leeirons 13 Replies
    • November 30, 2006
    • 08:36 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • I found this page very helpful for my family, try showing him this:http://home.velocitus.net/deecee/information.htm
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • December 5, 2006
    • 03:03 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.