Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Burnt fingertips - do I need to see a doctor?

Posted In: Skin conditions 2 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • November 21, 2006
  • 10:38 PM

I accidentially picked up a very hot pyrex bowl (was sitting in a 500 degree oven for 30 minutes). This was ~48 hours ago (7pm Sunday Central time)

-Burn areas are small (largest is 1 inch x .5 inch)
-Burn areas on 4 fingers on left hand, 2 fingers on right hand (thumbs, middle fingers got it worst)
-Pain only lasted 6-8 hours, no longer painful
-Burn areas look waxy white and skin is a bit leathery/thicker ?
-A little bit of blistering, but not a whole lot
-I saw went to a clinic at work and the lady prescribed silver sulfadiazine cream and said to try not to let the blisters leak (if they do, need to cover to prevent infection).

Do I need to see a doctor or can I just do self care? Are there any potential long term effects? (Do I need skin grafting or anything like that?)

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

  • hi there...My daughter suffered from a burn similar to yours and I am only replying because I may know what you need. Buy an cream called "Flamazine" your clinic or dr may have to perscribe it. It is awesome stuff. It is for burns 1st to 3rd.It has silver in it and is relativley expensive. Hope this helps.
    itchyandscratchy 1 Replies
    • November 25, 2006
    • 05:04 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • thanks for the response!i went to a clinic and they prescribed silver sulfadiazine cream...i think most of them are 2nd degree.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • November 27, 2006
    • 05:32 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.