Discussions By Condition: Sexual conditions

Genital Sores Help

Posted In: Sexual conditions 1 Replies
  • Posted By: powerguinn
  • December 5, 2008
  • 01:34 PM

A little background first. I was in a monogamous relationship with a partner for the past 7 years. We are both healthy and never used protection. Birth control is an IUD. Never had an STD before in my life.

A week ago, I engaged in a weekend of sex with a new partner. There was lots of oral sex given to me (a female) and we had vaginal sex four times, each time using a condom with spermicide.

On Sunday night, I began to experience extreme difficulty urinating - the burning sensation was unbearable. Monday morning I went to the doctor and gave a urine sample. From looking at the sample, and hearing of my symptoms, the doctor diagnosed a Urinary Tract Infection and prescribed antibiotics (Cipro).

Day four into my antibiotics, and two straight days of downing litres of water and cranberry pills to "flush" the system out, I was not feeling any better so, last night, Thursday, I returned to the clinic.

The doctor informed me my previous urine test had returned "inconclusive" and she proceeded to do a vaginal exam. Immediately she noticed the source of my pain - small blister-like sores on the vagina lips. She told me right away that she thought it was Herpes, but that the test results to confirm that diagnosis would take three weeks. She also tested for a battery of other STDs, but could not do a PAP smear because I am on my period.

I am freaking out! I called the sexual partner immediately and he was furious with the diagnosis. He assured me that he gets yearly check-ups, and he has never been diagnosed with Herpes or had any kind of STD for that matter. He volunteered to go be tested today at his doctor.

My doctor prescribed Valtrex, which she said would work very fast. It has been 12 hours since I took the Valtrex and nothing has changed.

I really just want to know what is going on down there.. I am wondering, if my partner is clean and I haven't contracted any STD, if I am just having an extreme reaction to the spermicide in the condoms? I didn't use a condom for 7 years before this past weekend. Is that any sort of possibility? Or could it be something else I am not thinking of?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts on my problem..

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

  • I had a bad reaction to the spermicide once, too, and ended up in the ER. But, with the sore, most likely herpes. I think it was too soon for syphilis, but you will want to get a blood test for it. The thing with herpes is that it can be internal with a guy and they don't know they have it until they get news like this. Tell him he will need a blood test for it. Many men have no symptoms at all and his doctor probably won't give him blood work for it unless he insists, which it sounds like he was a silent carrier. Unfortunately, a condom does not always afford protection from herpes. With his annual exam or whatever he had, rest assured that his doctor did not perform an annual blood test for herpes. When his blood test comes back, tell him to look for IgG antibodies...if he just caught it, it will be IgM, but it will come back IgG, thereby proving that he gave it to you and not vice-versa, which is important emotionally at this time in your life.Here's a great support forum:http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/messageforum/
    Monsterlove 2921 Replies
    • December 6, 2008
    • 00:17 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.