Discussions By Condition: Poisoning

Long term low level lead exposure

Posted In: Poisoning 1 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • September 6, 2007
  • 00:45 AM

My son is 14 years old and has an "elevated lead level" all of his life,ranging from 6 to 17 most resent. When he was 2 lead paint was found in the home we are renting and "removed". The lead was found because he presented symptoms of lead poisoning even though his level at the time was only 9. Has anyone out there presented symptoms with low level lead exposure? Doctors say it's not possible even though his symptoms disappeared when the level drop. The 17 was this year, we just found out that all of the lead was not removed. My son reads like a textbook case of lead poisoning, headaches, stomache aches, nausea, vomiting, moody, sleep problems, add, adhd etc...
Doctors have run all kinds of tests, liver enzymes are elevated and he has hyperinsulinism (455.4). They can't find any other explaination but are reluctant to say it's the lead because his levels are not high enough and he is over the age of 6. Any input will be grately appreciated.
FRUSTRATED

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

  • I think the latest theories on the dangers of low level lead is no level is safe and some people maybe more sensitive.Conservative medical thinking is what your doctor told you. There is the added problem that its technically difficult to remove low level of lead anyway. Plus lead has a long half-life in bone. In theory DMSA and r-alpha-lipoic acid are soldover the counter and the combinational use of the two islikely the best treatment option. Oh even alot doctor are still not using r-alpha-lipoic acid despite being safely usedalong time and proven in studies to remove lead from the brain when used in combination of a standard treatment like DMSA.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • October 25, 2007
    • 11:41 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.