Discussions By Condition: Poisoning

Heavy Metal Poisoning

Posted In: Poisoning 3 Replies
  • Posted By: justmewdc
  • October 30, 2006
  • 06:12 PM

I work in and around a lot of powdered gold (airborne) and I was wondering if you could get poisoned from breathing in too much gold dust. I am 6 years into this and my sinus and breathing are starting to suffer. I am a Master Goldsmith/Jeweler by trade. Does anyone have any information on this subject?

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

  • Inhaled gold dusts may cause mild symptoms in respiratory system, e.g. chronic sinusitis, bronchitis and so on. Allergic reactions and immune system compromitatiton can occur also upon chronic exposure to gold metal dusts and vapors. However, the risks are far less evere than e.g. inhalation of gold salts/compounds.The best you can make against this is to wear appropriate respiratory protection (e.g. respirator with fine-particle-dust filters).
    Anonymous 42789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thank you, just what I have experienced. Does the body rid itself of the particles?
    Anonymous 42789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I work in and around a lot of powdered gold (airborne) and I was wondering if you could get poisoned from breathing in too much gold dust. I am 6 years into this and my sinus and breathing are starting to suffer. I am a Master Goldsmith/Jeweler by trade. Does anyone have any information on this subject? You may experience shortness of breath, and experience episodes like asthma attacks if you ingest gold dust for months at a time, let alone years. Breathing it in, you should still be concerned (and careful) about it.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.