Discussions By Condition: Nerve conditions

Unsure of condition - help

Posted In: Nerve conditions 3 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 9, 2006
  • 00:38 PM

Hey all,

don't know if this is the right place to post this, but recently my friend has told me he's noticed that he is feeling a bit wierd at the moment.

He said that he forgets things much more than he used to, the fact that he generally feels like he is out of place ( I don't know what to interpret that as), he has trouble typing on a computer recently, which he has never had. He said he did not know how to describe it - he said he felt like he was not himself any more.

I had a look around on the internet and had a look at some books, and the closest thing I could find was 'neurosis'.

I'm very worried about him at the moment, could anyone give me a solution to this? Or should he just go to the doctor to sort this out?

I would just like to know what is wrong with him, so we could go about treating it.

Thanks a lot


Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

  • Forgot to add - he smokes too if that has anything to do with it.Also, he's been having a few arguements with friends and his girlfriend.Thanks again-dave
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • October 9, 2006
    • 07:30 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • Dave,First thing - I am not a doctor. I am an individual who has been going through a few (lol) neurological issues of my own so I have done a lot of research. Only a doctor can make a proper diagnosis.Forgetting things can be caused by anything from stress (fights with girlfriend) to a symptom of a severe neurological issue. Feeling "out of place" sounds like what psychiatrists call "Dissociation". This is a mental process, which produces a lack of connection in a person's thoughts, memories, feelings, actions, or sense of identity. This can also be caused by stress.Your friend should see a doctor, but make sure he does his research and finds a good one. Many people who have real neurological issues are summarily dismissed as "psychiatric" problems. Not only is this insulting and frustrating, but it also can delay treatment for a real physical problem.When your friend finds a doctor, make sure he INSISTS that medical tests are done to rule out a physical cause. Per my experience, many doctors are too busy to spend the necessary amount of time needed for a proper diagnosis. Other advice:If possible - have your friend: Establish a time course, including onset, progression, duration, and recurrence. And any other symptoms.Best wishes for success,SilkDragon
    SilkDragon 5 Replies
    • October 17, 2006
    • 09:06 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • It could also be depression. I'm not a doctor either but sometimes depression has nothing to do with being unhappy. I myself am not unhappy. I have a loving family and a great job but without antidepressants I often feel confussed. I can't focus on anything. I feel like crying for no reason. I become forgetful and don't really feel like doing anything. I'm not for sure but I think a drop in Serotonin levels in the brain cause depression. Regardless of what is wrong you should talk him into seeing his doc.
    trying 4 Replies
    • October 28, 2006
    • 00:59 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.