CLASSIFICATION OF NECK SWELLING
About 50% of the neck swellings are of thyroid swelling or goiter. Other swellings are of congenital, developmental, infective, salivary gland diseases, neurogenic & parapharyngeal space tumours.
Mid line swellings-
· Thyroglossal duct cyst/ thyroglossal duct sinus.
· Sublingual dermoid cyst/ dermoid cyst.
· Plunging ranula.
· Thyroid swelling at isthmus.
· Subhyoid bursa.
· Pretrachial, prelaryngeal lymphnodes.
Lateral neck swelling-
· Thyroid swelling or goiter.
· Lymph node enlargement- non-specific cause.
· Lymphangiomas / cystic hygroma.
· Branchial cyst/ branchial sinus.
· Salivary gland swelling- parotid swelling
Submandibular gland swelling.
· Lipoma .
· Sebaceous cyst.
· Laryngocele / pharyngeal pouches.
· Carotid body tumour/ schwannoma .
THYROGLOSSAL DUCT CYST-
· Commonest mid line neck swelling.
· Thyroglossal cyst developes due to persistence of thyroglossal duct.
· Age of presentation is 4 months – 70 years.
· 90% in mid line, 10% are in lateral position.
· Presents as mid line painless cystic swelling which moves on swallowing & as tongue protrusion.
· Inves.- Thyroid scan –to know functioning thyroid tissue.
F N A C.
· Treatment- SiS-trunk operation.
· Midline swelling that do not move on deglutition or protrusion of tongue.
· Common sites are – root of nose, sublingual, external angular, post auricular.
· Three types of dermoid cysts-
A) Epidermoid cyst- lined with squous epithelium & contain chesssy
B) True dermoid cyst- lined with sq. epithelium & contain hair, hair follicles, sebaceous gland & sweet glands.
C) Teratoid cyst- lined with sq. or respiratory epithelium and contain ectodermal, endodermal or mesodermal elements is teeth, nail , thyroid tissue.
· Treatment- complete excision.
CYSTIC HYGROMA/ LYMPHANGIOMAS
· There are 3 types of lymphangiomas – simpl , cavernous and cystic hygroma.
· Simple and cavernous lymphgangiomas occur in the lip,tongue check etc.
· Cystic hygroma arises mainly in the neck and may extend to the floor of the mouth,check,tongue,parotid and ear canal.
· Most of these tumours are present at or shortly after birth.
· Cystic hygroma can extened to the mediastinum causing stridor.
For Know More Click Here
Know the five types of psoriasis and how to spot flares.
Newer diabetes treatments can suppress appetite and aid weight loss.
Try these tips to get your salivary glands back into action.
Constipation is a common side effect of opioid and narcotic pain medicines.
Is it sensitive skin or something else?