Discussions By Condition: Muscle conditions

Rib/ribcage help

Posted In: Muscle conditions 3 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 3, 2011
  • 08:43 AM

Man I hope someone can help. Alright so about 2 and a half years ago, I took an injury to my rib cage-punch to the left side (wind knocked out of me as well). No big but I went to the gym later that night and start doing a chest fly and was FINE until a few reps in and I heard a pop in the same area. Had to drop all weight immediately. So...progressively over the last couple years, the following has occurred in succession: first noticed that lower left rib started to protrude. Then noticed lower right rib (corresponding to opposite rib) started to indent. Then noticed that my sternum started to look differently. Over time, sternum has shifted more. Then noticed upper chest (just below clavicles but in center) starting to shift. The rib bones connecting to this upper part of my sternum(?) look different and the center part is protruding now. Finally, my lower back and hip have tightened up because of all this with knots (and what even feels like a slight shifts in the position of bones in that area). All of this just keeps getting worse. PLEASE. I keep going to doctors with no luck and chiropractors try to convince me that they have indeed shifted them back, when they really just keep getting worse in appearance. Also to note, my whole rib cage area is more sensitive to pressure than it used to be.

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

  • Also I forgot to mention that if I sleep on my sides I usually wake up with aSore ribcage. Thanks
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • February 3, 2011
    • 08:53 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • Also I forgot to mention that if I sleep on my sides I usually wake up with aSore ribcage. ThanksIdk if you've gotten this taken care of but....you need to see a myopractor. These pros are amazing, better than a chiro ever thought about being! When something is out of place the rest of your body will compensate by twisting and contorting to support and relieve pain. I know from personal experience. Not with a rib until just today (how I came upon this). I was practicing yoga today and twisted in a pose. I was fine until just a few hours ago, now I'm hurting. It's a very odd hurt tho. Almost a burning pinching? Idk. Good luck. I'm calling my myo first thing in the morning.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies Flag this Response
  • It sounds to me like your body is compensating for the original rib injury. I am a big believer in chiropractic being a chiropractor myself. But in this case, I think the surrounding musculature is under too much tension to allow the bones to adjust back in place. I would suggest a massage therapist who does Rolfing or feldenkrais. These are highly specialized muscle techniques that work on restoring your body to it's original position. The techniques may be a bit painful but they are very effective. You may still need chiropractic to help restore the ribs to their normal position but it should be more effective after the myofascial treatment. Alternatively, you could go see a chiropractor who specializes in A.R.T., another muscle technique. I hope you find the right person to help you.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.