Discussions By Condition: Muscle conditions

Knee pain for 3 years-maybe Patellar Tendonitis

Posted In: Muscle conditions 1 Replies
  • Posted By: okelfgirl
  • October 12, 2010
  • 07:54 PM

I am a 21 year-old female. In November of 2007, my left knee started hurting. I went into an orthopedic surgeon in June of 2008, and he said it might be plica syndrome. He prescribed Naproxen as needed, and I continued with that for probably 8 or 9 months. I went in again in early August 2008 and he said that it was idiopathic and there was nothing really he could do. He named some things, but didn't seem too eager to do anything and said we'd just see how it goes.So sorry!:rolleyes: I went in to him 3-4 more times over the next year and a half. At some point, he suggested it was patellar tendonitis. I have had an MRI which showed no cartilage damage, but did show edema. It supported his diagnosis. I have had two Kenalog shots which did no good.He didn't think PT would help. His belief all along has been that it probably has to do with my growth and would eventually just go away.
It is a nearly constant dull ache in the anterior portion of my knee. I don't play sports, but I am a college student so I do quite a bit of walking to and from class. However, I was in HS when this all started. I am a skinny, fairly active girl. This has gone on for nearly 3 years. Luckily, it is something bearable, but it does affect my life. I am growing weary of it. I really am not sure what to do at this point. Anybody have any thoughts/suggestions?

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

  • Hi, As a physical therapist I know I have a biased opinion but the idea that your doctor does not think physical therapy could help chronic anterior knee pain tells me you need to find another doctor. I have helped numerous patients with your symptoms. Pills and injections will help to temporarily reduce inflammation but as long as you have some strength imbalances, muscle tighteness, and/or biomechanical components that remain your symptoms will come back. I would suggest getting a second opinion and seek out a good physical therapist. For more information about anterior knee pain and treatment recommendations you can visit http://www.joint-pain-solutions.com/knee-cap-pain.html Good luck.~JTrempe PT, ATC
    JTrempe 101 Replies
    • October 17, 2010
    • 04:01 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.